• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you want a Color Palette Customizer?

Would you like to customize a character's color swaps?

• Yes, please!

Votes: 71 92.2%
  • No, thanks.

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Back in the day, many arcade fighting games allowed players to customize the color palettes of their most beloved characters.

In modern day, this is still happening. But only by way of Bandai Namco, e.g. Soul Calibur and Tekken.

However, seeing as Bandai Namco helped work on Sm4sh, (and regardless if they're working on the new one) I think borrowing the idea would do wonders for many players.

Would you guys like to have this option available? If they could extend the system to only clothes and hair/eye color, I think that'd be great. It would personalize each player's representative character, and allow all players to use the character+color they like without having to fight over the same one.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I like it. Especially since team battle no longer requires a specific color assigned to their costume but rather an outline around the model now.

It would give people the ability to recreate famous attires or making their own.

Of course the sole problem could be processing these changes before a battle and what it could do during one. I am sure they would test it out to its limit before implementing It, however.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'd actually like it. It would be fun to customize the palettes for each character to one's liking. I could see myself playing as characters whose palettes I have changed for sure. I'd be down with this idea.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
That sounds difficult to implement, however they did create the Subspace Emissary and custom moves so I can't rule anything out.

I heavily support this idea. :bee:

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I'm personally hoping for a character customizer on the level of Tekken Tag 2.
Although I'd be cool with just being able to modify the character's colors, (and hopefully a couple of outfits)

That sounds difficult to implement
It's actually incredibly easy to implement, but for some reason Smash has each character's color saved as a completely different texture file. This would make sense if all of the textures had different patterns on them, like Dedede's Robes or Skyward Sword Link in Smash4, but for the most part it's just a huge waste of memory to store alternate colors this way.

The textures in smash are actually very simple flat colors, here's an example of Captain Falcon's Textures for his default outfit
https://i.imgur.com/w9R41dI.png
All of the shading is handled on a seperate layer, that is overlayed on top of those flat colors
https://i.imgur.com/K3pYb7u.png (this is the shading for a separate character's equipment)
But we don't have to worry about that layer, we'll just be modifying the first layer by changing 3 numbers,

So, to create alternate color palettes, all the game designer needs to know is the 3 Red, Green and Blue values for the colors used in Captain Falcon's textures.
For example, the golden yellow on his boots, helmet and glove is something like Red:255, Green:215, Blue:0

Now, we can let the player enter their own Red, Green and Blue values, preferably with a simple graphical interface like this http://i.imgur.com/Ae1tz33.png

Once the player selects a color, a program can run over every pixel that has the RGB values for golden yellow (Red:255, Green:215, Blue:0) and change it to whatever color the player picked. Then this texture can be stored in the game's memory as the player's custom texture.

Of course, the downside of this is that EVERYTHING that is golden yellow will be changed to whatever color you picked. This means that we can't specify individual colors for Falcon's boots, helmet and gloves, like you see in smash4 mods ->https://files.gamebanana.com/img/ss/skins/58b2e3b873861.jpg

HOWEVER, if the game devs created seperate textures for the helmet, boots, and gloves, instead of combining them all into one funky texture, then they could implement a system that let the player modify the colors for helmets, boots and gloves, like in Tekken.

The downside to letting players do custom color palettes, is that it would change the current system where each alternate color has it's own separate texture. Therefore, we wouldn't have outfits with different patterns on them, like Dedede's robes or Skyward Sword Link. But hopefully we'd get an outfit system like in Tekken, with different hats, hairstyles, equipment, etc...

Tekken actually did let players draw directly onto their character's 3D model, and thus create original patterns on their character's textures, although how they implemented this is beyond me. It was pretty graphically intensive to update the 3D model's textures as the player was modifying them. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-n-wnfQdjA...stomization-Nina-Williams-Bikini-Swimsuit.jpg

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I would like to choose colours for my fighters, but I would much rather not have my eyes melted by random online players' uncoordinated colour choices.
They probably wouldn't be allowed online, just look at the Mii. .

I think it's a good idea if implemented well.

How does it work in other 3D fighters? Itd be cool if they had a simple and advanced option, with advanced letting you create you own patterns for a Fierce Deity Link detailed alt

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As a person who has done texture hacks, it would be nice if you could modify the palettes for certain fighters. Lucario doesn't even have an actual red palette, while Shulk and PAC-MAN don't have any green palettes.

Super Fawful

Smash Cadet
NNID
dimentio64
Heck yeah, then I'd finally be able to (natively) create the Dark Bowser alt that should've been included in Smash 4 to begin with. And maybe Mr. L too depending on how much customization is allowed.

Morbi

Scavenger
I had to control-f to see if anyone legitimately said no. The only response that was vaguely dissenting was just concerned about my hot pink and turquoise variants. Understandable.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
No, because it would then lose the appeal of the original alternate colors that we have had since the 64 days to now.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that would be a cool feature! I usually like to use the default costumes for characters, so I probably wouldn't make use of it too much, but it'd add options for players who like using alts. :) It'd be a way to make your character personal to you, too - Pokémon is a good comparison. In Pokémon games up until X and Y, there were only two possibilities - players were a boy or a girl, and all players of each gender looked identical. But in X and Y, they added player customization, which returned in Sun and Moon and seems to be something that will stick around. Now all players are clearly different from one another, and it gives a personal touch to the characters! This would be the same in Smash - while changing colors doesn't quite give the same effect as clothing changes, it'd personalize the character to the player. Would be a great addition!

In a similar vein, something I've been thinking about is Nintendo's love for customization recently. Mario and Zelda are two franchises where, historically, your character doesn't really have much customization. Mario games have next to none (the only examples being minor outfit changes like the shirt and glasses in Sunshine), and Zelda games let you change tunic colors, and occasionally wear an alternate outfit in a second playthrough (like Wind Waker and Skyward Sword). Then suddenly, Breath of the Wild rolls around, and every single piece of equipment changes your appearance! You can wear stuff for the defense... or you can dress up like the Links from Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker! Same story with Mario Odyssey - after a series with almost no customization, Odyssey suddenly lets you choose from 41 hats and 42 sets of clothes, with more still being added as DLC. It's a lot of fun! My point here being - could Smash 5 go beyond alternate colors, and start allowing for actual costume changes? They could be unlockables, or they could be DLC, like Mii Costumes for the regular characters! Project M has costumes like Pajama Ness, Commander Lucas, Outset Island Toon Link, Mr. L for Luigi, and many more - all costumes that reference the characters' origin games. I always wanted Smash to do this, and maybe it's possible they will this time? Each character would start out with regular color alts, and then after unlocking a special costume, it'll be permanently added as an alt. There are a lot of possibilities here!

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I remember saints row having good color sytem for skin & clothing somthing like that for smash would be cool, & would make every amiibo character feel more unique

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Heck yeah! Been thinking about this type of thing since the release of SSB4 with its custom special moves.
Honestly, sounds like the type of thing I would spend far too much time on, creating things like a Mighty the Armadillo inspired pallet for Sonic

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I mean yes but I feel like it could make fights unnecessarily confusing if you're all using similar colour palettes, I'm just imagining the mess that would be 8 pikachu's, all different shades of blue fighting one another.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Oh heck yes!
I feel the alt colors from Brawl were greatly superior to the ones in 4, a custom color editor would mitigate this problem altogether, people who liked Brawls colors can make those, people who liked 4s colors can make those too and people who feel creative can make their own alt colors.

And instead of whining that other people would make their characters neon clown vomit, be a shining example and make nice and cool colors that inspire people to do similarly.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I think this concept is long overdue. When Brawl players started to change the colors of the characters, people were impressed and wanted to know how it was being done. Eventually the secret was let out and people started to do it themselves. People started to do it with Sm4sh as well, so you would think that Nintendo would maybe get the hint. I imagine it would work like separate copies of characters in Sm4sh, but with just color differences instead.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Seeing the alternate palette contest you all came up with with Mario, Ridley, and Ryu makes me really wanna see this happen. Just being able to create costumes that actually have historical significance to a character, such as all the great ideas you all came up with for alternate palettes for Mario, would be super exciting.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Colors would be cool, but I'm mainly rooting for more costumes. They can represent more parts of a character and more characters themselves. Similar to the bowser jr alts.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
It'd be cool.
Maybe they could just have a shading function to make individual colors of an outfit lighter/deeper to prevent people from making really eye-melting combinations.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think it would be tied with the Custom Character mode. Where you take Mario and you attatch "Equipment" like making him jump higher or whatever. Or even with your amiibo fighter.

But in regular old local Smash or regular old online Smash? Probably not. After all, you can't even access Mii Fighters normally.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
I'd take more specially made skins like the Fierce Deity and the USA Mario over fully customizable palettes, assuming it'd be one or the other.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I previously stated that I wouldn’t want the palette customizer as i feel it would cheapen the existing color palettes - many of which many fans hold dear. I would be open though to having a Gear System like Killer Instinct or Injustice 2 to further customize characters. This would largely be only cosmetic though. Like the Odysessy Cap for Mario or Eye Mask for Luigi.

Another thing I would fine with is the ability to select a number of colors via color picker to apply to various clothing and accessories such as head, body, arms, and legs. So picking pink for Mario’s head makes the hat pink and picking purple for Pikachu’s body makes his body have a purple tint. Obviously for some characters like MGW, it only applies to body.

Top Bottom