• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you take hard Ivysaur nerfs in exchange for really good Squirtle/Charizard buffs?

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
The title says it all. I somewhat secondary PT online, been considering them as a secondary but not quite a main. For those more dedicated to the trio, would you have Ivysaur, the most notorious of the three, get a lot of nerfs in exchange for lots of good buffs to Squirtle and Charizard, evening the three out some more in terms of viability and usefulness over each other? My current understanding, and I apologize if this is wildly off the mark, is that:

:ultsquirtle: is considered high mid-tier
:ultivysaur: is considered high tier, maybe borderline top-tier
:ultcharizard: is considered low mid-tier/middle low-tier

So, would you want Pokemon Trainer to take some buffs/nerfs to each Pokemon to even them all out? Or do you think the balance between the three is fine as is?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Tbh yes.

Ivy is carrying the team right now because the character is ridiculous on it’s own.

It would get the character to flow better as a whole team rather than feeling like playing a lot of ivy

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Nope.

I'd take slight Ivy nerfs in favor of slight Squirtle/Zard buffs. If you watch high level players right now, most of them utilize the entire trio, including Charizard, to good effect.

Ivysaur was a simple character that was especially strong in the early meta. People are adapting to big hitboxes as they get better at the games movement, yet the old stigma of "Ivysaur carries the team" is somehow sticking around. Ivysaur is certainly the best of the three and is the most dependable but isn't as many leagues above the other two as people seem to think.

I don't think nerfs would be unjust but "hard nerfs" would be overkill. Just give Ivy a few slap on the writs. Maybe slightly weaken Uair's start up or or kill power something.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Nope.

I'd take slight Ivy nerfs in favor of slight Squirtle/Zard buffs. If you watch high level players right now, most of them utilize the entire trio, including Charizard, to good effect.

Ivysaur was a simple character that was especially strong in the early meta. People are adapting to big hitboxes as they get better at the games movement, yet the old stigma of "Ivysaur carries the team" is somehow sticking around. Ivysaur is certainly the best of the three and is the most dependable but isn't as many leagues above the other two as people seem to think.

I don't think nerfs would be unjust but "hard nerfs" would be overkill. Just give Ivy a few slap on the writs. Maybe slightly weaken Uair's start up or or kill power something.
Interesting insight, I have seen this from some players but the emphasis on ivy still seems to remain to a degree.

I think the zard being bottom 5 is dying off more as people realize he still has solid tools.

1FC0

Smash Lord
As long as all 3 of them have their uses I am content. Ivysaur still has weaknesses that other Pokemon cover so there are enough situations where it is favourable to switch him out.

D

Deleted member

Yup. Matter of fact i'd nerf both Squirtle and Ivysaur to buff Charizard.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
No, definitely not, ivsysaur is hype. Just buff the other two. Gimping a character to somehow "justify" making charizard no longer suck is horrible logic to justfiy some kind of "intended flowchart" IMO rather than give players the freedom to choose and mixup their own playstyle based on their own preferences. why can't they all be good?

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
lol relevant. But also, yes yes yes yes yes. I can live with our Ivy boy being a little less broken so that we can finally have our Lizardon at full power again. The new Zard feels really good now, and Ivy still feels over all the same. Just no Razor Leaf spam, and Dair isn't as rewarding.

EDIT: I guess these weren't hard nerfs or buffs, but I'm so glad this is how they decided to play it.

Last edited:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I'll take hard nerfs for both Ivy & Char for Squirtle buffs. Squirtle is the Squirtbro.

Top Bottom