• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you rather see a Nintendo vs Capcom or a Nintendo vs Sega?

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Hypothetical Nintendo lineup: Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Donkey Kong,Yoshi, Link, Zelda, Pikachu, Mewtwo, Kirby, Captain Falcon, Samus, Little Mac, Inkling, Something from ARMS,

VS

Hypothetical Sega lineup: Sonic, Tails, Dr. Robotnik, NiGHTS, Toejam and Earl, Alex Kidd, Billy Hatcher, Ristar, Vectorman, Joe Musashi (Shinobi), Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter), Beat (Jet Set Radio), Ecco the Dolphin, Axel Stone (Streets of Rage), Ryo (Shenmue)

OR

Hypothetical Capcom lineup: Megaman, Zero, Dr. Wily, Ryu, Chun Li, Morrigan (Darkstalkers), Sir Arthur (Ghosts n Goblins), Phoenix Wright, Leon S. Kennedy, Dante, Mike Haggar, Rad Spencer (Bionic Commando), Strider Hiryu, Viewful Joe, Ameratsu (Okami)

Personally i'm in love with both ideas. How about you?

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo characters in a traditional fighter, but I also like Smash Bros. being the single most prestigious dream match fighter for all video games.

However I gotta say those rosters you picked for Capcom and Nintendo are kinda weak. Not much variety, nor people we haven't seen before.

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo characters in a traditional fighter, but I also like Smash Bros. being the single most prestigious dream match fighter for all video games.

However I gotta say those rosters you picked for Capcom and Nintendo are kinda weak. Not much variety, nor people we haven't seen before.
What would you suggest for a Capcom/Nintendo lineup then? (Also, You like the Sega lineup? I put some extra thought into that one)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
On the Nintendo side of things at least, I think any characters in a crossover fighting game would be from the Smash roster, with very few exceptions. Obviously the Inklings and potentially Spring Man would be some of those exceptions by virtue of not yet existing when the roster was decided, and they could possibly add different Pokémon or Fire Emblem characters due to the nature of those series, but beyond that basically anyone they'd pick is already in Smash. This is especially true if they have a more conservative roster size.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I feel like the SEGA roster is too focused on the classic stuff. They have plenty of good modern titles to draw from like Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles and numerous Platinum titles like Bayonetta, Vanquish and Madworld.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
What would you suggest for a Capcom/Nintendo lineup then? (Also, You like the Sega lineup? I put some extra thought into that one)
I love Vectorman and Ristar. But you gotta understand you can't just make a roster entirely composed of favorites. You need some obscure picks in there like Duck Hunt or Wii Fit Trainer. You also need a variety of weight classes, playstyles, and alignments. They can't all be protagonists. Picking characters for an all-star fighting game is more complicated than you might think.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ignoring the rosters you made (just because they wouldn't be the real rosters) I'd rather have Nintendo vs. Capcom. The vs. Capcom series is rather storied at this point, and I feel Capcom has more resonating IPs than Sega does at this point. I mean Sega has a lot of characters I like, and they probably parallel Nintendo's better, but in the genre of a more traditional fighter, I feel Capcom is the bigger dog, with just generally more clout.

After getting Sonic in Smash though I'm pretty content for Sega x Nintendo fighting crossovers. Meanwhile Vs. Capcom is a thing unto itself.

D

Deleted member

I honestly would prefer Nintendo go against Capcom characters than Sega characters.
Capcom has a lot of timeless characters ranging from Mega Man, to Ryu, to Dante, and many more. And, of course, Capcom characters have fought against other companies like Marvel. Sega, on the other hand, don't have a lot of characters that stand out, other than the Sonic characters, Bayonetta, and arguably AiAi from Monkey Ball (and this is excluding Atlus characters, who are now owned by Sega).
I actually did think of a roster for the Nintendo side at least... it might be too big, but 30-32 characters seems fair.
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser
Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong
Yoshi
Wario
Link, Zelda, Ganondorf
Samus, Ridley
Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede
Fox
Pikachu, Mewtwo, Charizard, Lucario
Captain Falcon
Ness
Marth, Robin
Mr. Game & Watch
Pit
Olimar
Villager
Little Mac
Shulk
Inkling

D

Deleted member

On the Nintendo side of things at least, I think any characters in a crossover fighting game would be from the Smash roster, with very few exceptions. Obviously the Inklings and potentially Spring Man would be some of those exceptions by virtue of not yet existing when the roster was decided, and they could possibly add different Pokémon or Fire Emblem characters due to the nature of those series, but beyond that basically anyone they'd pick is already in Smash. This is especially true if they have a more conservative roster size.
This and I think a conservative-sized roster for a Nintendo vs. Capcom or Nintendo vs. Sega is almost inevitable since it would be, after all, the first game. Saki might be a possible exception if only because I can see him fitting in perfectly into vs. Capcom.

As for me, I would much rather have a Nintendo vs. Capcom by far. I will take Street Fighter, Mega Man, Okami and the likes over Sonic & co.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Definitely Vs. Capcom. I'm not a SEGA person myself.
I mean Capcom has Mega Man, Street Fighter, Resident Evil and all that other good stuff I enjoy. And what does SEGA have? They have absolutely nothing that stands out to me that isn't Sonic or Bayonetta.
And as for the roster on the Nintendo side, it can't just have well know characters like Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Samus, etc. It must have characters like Rosalina, a Fire Emblem character or two, Shulk, an inkling and more characters of this generation.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Nintendo vs Ubisoft tbh. But id say Capcom.

Sega only has Bayo for me. But nights is interesting and sonic is sonic who I tried to get into his games but eh.

Last edited:

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Since I've played some Street Fighter when I was a kid (and it has been a very long time since I played that) I'd love to see a Nintendo x Capcom.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Nintendo vs Capcom for sure. I'd be interested to see how the game is structured (seeing as Nintendo and Capcom both have flagship fighting game IPs for different fighting game genres), and Sonic & Sega All-Star Racing reminded me of how few IPs Sega has that are still relevant modern-day. I'm sure that everyone would've said Nintendo vs Sega 20 years ago, but Sega has fallen off signifigantly since their Genesis heyday.

I'd really want Nintendo vs SNK, though. I've preferred SNK games over Capcom since the first time I played KOF. I think the gameplay, lore, soundtrack, and character designs are all signifigantly better in SNK games.

D

Deleted member

Either could be interesting. While Capcom has more characters I like, a Sega vs. Nintendo game would feel more fresh to me.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wanna see Mario series vs Sonic series

But add in Megaman and it's good too

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'd take any well done crossover game tbh. It can be Nintendo vs the Dr Seuss universe, as long as it has the quality of the old MvC games I'll be happy.

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
SEGA doesn't really have a lot of modern characters that easily translate into a fighting game, and the classic characters that do are outclassed in popularity by Capcom. I mean, most of Capcom's games are literally either fighting games or action games, while SEGA's are primarily platformers or um... Ecco the Dolphin.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I'd love to see a Nintendo vs. Sega game, especially if Sega finally uses some of the Sega of America characters such as Kid Chameleon or anybody from Eternal Champions.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
How about a Super Smash Bros game with Sonic, Mega Man and Street Fighter overrepresented and a lot more Sega and Capcom characters like Phoenix Wright and NiGHTS included?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Nintendo vs Sonic vs Bayonetta vs Capcom

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm more of a Capcom fan than a Sega fan nowadays, so I'd say Nintendo vs. Capcom.

It better have Ridley in there so that there could be a Ridley vs. Firebrand rivalry, I feel it's too good an opportunity to pass up on. Though I suppose Pit vs. Firebrand could also work, angels vs. demons and all.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm voting Sega, but i'm going to be honest, I only really care about the Sonic portion of their library... maybe Nights and Ristar.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Doesn't SEGA own Atlus now? Nintendo V. Sega could include Persona characters. FINALLY Joker in Smash!

Alternately, I am quite the fan of Sega's RPG options: Shining Force series, Phantasy Star series, Skies of Arcadia, Valkyria Chronicles, Sakura Wars. Lots of cool stuff to work with there. Their non-RPG selection is more lackluster, honestly. They have their animal mascot Sonic series and then never really managed to make another likable non-human character, from what I can tell.

For sheer variety, Capcom seems like the better option to pull a lot of different playstyles and aesthetics together a la Smash.

That said, I'd be down for a Nintendo X SquareEnix crossover cast over either of Sega or Capcom. Finally, Xenogears and Xenoblade in the same game!

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
I would say Nintendo VS Capcom since Capcom has more iconic characters from different franchises that people would recognize. Also, all Sega really has to go on these days is Sonic so really it would more likely to be called Nintendo VS Sega and Sonic but we already have Smash Bros for that.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Hypothetical Nintendo lineup: Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Donkey Kong,Yoshi, Link, Zelda, Pikachu, Mewtwo, Kirby, Captain Falcon, Samus, Little Mac, Inkling, Something from ARMS,

VS

Hypothetical Sega lineup: Sonic, Tails, Dr. Robotnik, NiGHTS, Toejam and Earl, Alex Kidd, Billy Hatcher, Ristar, Vectorman, Joe Musashi (Shinobi), Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter), Beat (Jet Set Radio), Ecco the Dolphin, Axel Stone (Streets of Rage), Ryo (Shenmue)

OR

Hypothetical Capcom lineup: Megaman, Zero, Dr. Wily, Ryu, Chun Li, Morrigan (Darkstalkers), Sir Arthur (Ghosts n Goblins), Phoenix Wright, Leon S. Kennedy, Dante, Mike Haggar, Rad Spencer (Bionic Commando), Strider Hiryu, Viewful Joe, Ameratsu (Okami)

Not gonna lie, with a few roster alterations, I'd love to see Capcom VS SEGA as a game - it would be pretty damn cool

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
personally i'd choose nintendo vs sega. as much as i love capcom's ips, they're just fine squarin' off with marvel and snk.

though i do think that with the nintendo side in particular, it's important to give it some variety and basically not have it be the smash roster but smaller

D

Deleted member

I don't need Nintendo, just give me a SEGA crossover fighting game.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman

VS

OR

Both would be hype. Capcom would be more likely and Sega more significant. I'd really dig a 3v3 Capcom Vs or KOF style game, or a game where the roster is based on rival characters. I think the latter works better with Sega and the former with Capcom. I'd also hope they focus on lesser known or lesser used characters like the pre Marvel Infinite Capcom VS titles were known for. I'd love to see Sonson, Tyris, Vyse, Mike Jones, Sukapon...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I find Nintendo vs. Capcom more appealing given Capcom's history of crossovers.

Though I won't deny Vs. Sega would make sense given the 90s rivalry between Nintendo and Sega.

Cinnaminion

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
CINN#433
nintendo vs capcom probs would be a trad 2d fighter and nintendo vs segs probs would be a plat fighter
i love tf out of tvc and marvel so imo nintendo vs capcom would b p hype

D

Deleted member

Nintendo vs SEGA really easily.

The big titans from the 90s, both with very big legacy characters, enough to fill a roster close to the size of your typical Vs Capcom games.

It would be very attractive from a marketing point and could also serve as some Sort of successor to Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing.

Top Bottom