• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you have preferred Simon was done like DQ Hero instead?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Considering how Richter as an echo is nearly identical to Simon, I'm a bit curious about something.

Would you prefer to have it the way we got it, where we get a single Echo fighter of Simon.

Or would you have preferred they had done Simon the same way as the DQ Hero, and instead made his alt costumes into several other characters?

Like his costumes were, say, Simon, Richter, Trevor, Julius.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Any chance of dressing up as the other Castlevania protagonists would be amazing in my book. I'd happily trade off a few miscellaneous animations to play as mother-****in' Julius Belmont.

Also fell in love with Trevor after watching the animated show on Netflix so I'd doubly like that.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I prefer what we got.

Simon is the guy that deserved his spot on Smash. There's no need for him to share the spotlight with anyone else, even Richter is pushing it.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
That would have been cool but honestly i just wish Simon had less boring alts in general. red-haired simon would have been nice for example

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think a lot of characters could get the Hero treatment to shrink down the roster.

For example:

Pit + Dark Pit
Peach + Daisy
Samus + Dark samus
Mario + Dr. Mario
Marth + Lucina + Roy + Chrom
Simon + Richter

That’s 8 characters less that don’t really need to take up space.

I’m torn on Ryu and Ken, because although they’re both shotos, almost all of their moves are different, or have noticeably different animations (like Nair).

Just saying. If they want to sort of keep everyone, but keep adding even more characters, I wouldn’t mind them amañgating a few redundant characters.

I’m not sure what to think about Younger versions like Pichu, Tink and Yink.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think a lot of characters could get the Hero treatment to shrink down the roster.

For example:

Pit + Dark Pit
Peach + Daisy
Samus + Dark samus
Mario + Dr. Mario
Simon + Richter

I’m torn on Ryu and Ken, because although they’re both shotos, almost all of their moves are different, or have noticeably different animations (like Nair).

Just saying. If they want to sort of keep everyone, but keep adding even more characters, I wouldn’t mind them amalgating a few redundant characters.

Erm, you already posted this 40 minutes ago.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

For example:

Pit + Dark Pit
Peach + Daisy
Samus + Dark samus
Mario + Dr. Mario
Simon + Richter

Just saying. If they want to sort of keep everyone, but keep adding even more characters, I wouldn’t mind them amañgating a few redundant characters.

It's called turning on echo stacking. And if Ken gets to stay separate, so should Roy and the young clones.

osby

Smash Obsessed

For example:

Pit + Dark Pit
Peach + Daisy
Samus + Dark samus
Mario + Dr. Mario
Simon + Richter

Just stack the echoes. It's not like "taken up" space can be magically filled with unique characters.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It's called turning on echo stacking. And if Ken gets to stay separate, so should Roy and the young clones.
Ok cool. If they had to sacrifice a bunch of characters they could start there. Ken included.

You think the character select screen is what bugs me, though?
It’s more about warranting echo fighters in which the only difference is akin to +1% on Jab 2.

But since this applies to silent characters mostly, I can see why it’s needed.

Still, I would rather resources that are spread between voice acting, animation, etc go to a unique character. Even if sacrificing all of these for one totally unique one for next game.

Of course that’s just me.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Keep in mind it's not like alt costumes can't have separate animations or voicelines as proven by Inklings' and Pokemon Trainers' victory animation.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280

For example:

Pit + Dark Pit
Peach + Daisy
Samus + Dark samus
Mario + Dr. Mario
Simon + Richter

Roy definitely has way too many distinct differences in gameplay in their current state to be downgraded into a skin. They've broken out of being a marth clone and have been their own character since smash 4

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Yes, i don't like how some Echos like Dark Samus, Daisy and Richter have to be strictly the same, basically glorified costumes, all of them could have had at most one different special like Chrom, i would be totally down to lose some recolors if it means being able to play as Julius and Trevor.

Last edited:

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
As long as Richter got to keep his victory animations I'd be cool with it. I'd love for the Netflix design of Trevor to be used.

I used to think echoes having little differences was preferable so one wouldn't outclass the other, but it feels weird seeing all the love Chrom got while Richter just gets a blue flame for Holy Water. Chrom got a new victory theme, hitboxes, a different up-b that's canon to his game, and a different FS. Looking at it like that, having Richter, Trevor and Julius as alts is much preferable to what we got.

Last edited:

T a c t i c i a n

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 1575-3505-0320
I think it would've been pretty cool but I'm happy with what we got. Richter's alts are really lacking though. I guess it's because he has a pretty simple design.

Koopaul

Smash Champion

For example:

Pit + Dark Pit
Peach + Daisy
Samus + Dark samus
Mario + Dr. Mario
Simon + Richter
Remember, alts share the same exact animations. So a lot of those just can't work because the echo has too different of a personality. Pit is cheerful while Dark Pit is more edgy. Dark Pit having the same taunts and victory screen animations would look weird. Peach and Daisy have very different personalities too. And Dark Samus floats!

That being said, I think Richter could have been a Simon alt. The reason is that Simon's animations are compatible with any Belmont. Simon doesn't have any animations that would contradict Richter.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Before release I assumed / hoped that Belmont got the koopa kids treatment. Simon, Trevor, Julius, Juste, Leon, Christopher, Soliel, Richter, ... Gabriel ... there are at least 8 canonical Belmonts, per the wiki.

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Yes, That would have been way better. He should have simply been called "Belmont"

Simon
Trevor
Richter
Julius
Leon
Juste
Christopher
Soliel

D

Deleted member

Yes. If their only differences are voices, taunts, etc. then they should just be palettes. Otherwise, they should not make it at all. People like Simon and Samus work for their spots.
Anyways, my four would be Simon, Richter, Leon, and Julius

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i thought in the back of my mind the the best option for both Hero and Simon would be this:
:ultsimon: alt: Trevor, Juste, Leon
echo: :ultrichter:
:ulthero3:alt: :ulthero4::ulthero2::ulthero:
echo: Abel (DQ5)
originally Sakurai wanted to include Abel but the difference was he uses a stick
it would be a win win for both

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
:ultsimon: alt: Trevor, Juste, Leon
echo: :ultrichter:
Eh, I think I'd split it up more with, like, early Belmonts on one character, and later Belmonts on the other.

So like:
Simon/Leon/Trevor/Christopher
Richter/Juste/Jonathan(not a Belmont, but fights like one)/Julius

I'm very happy with what we got. I wouldn't change one thing how the Belmonts play in Smash.
I still would have liked there to be a little more difference between Simon and Richter than we got.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Eh, I think I'd split it up more with, like, early Belmonts on one character, and later Belmonts on the other.

So like:
Simon/Leon/Trevor/Christopher
Richter/Juste/Jonathan(not a Belmont, but fights like one)/Julius

I still would have liked there to be a little more difference between Simon and Richter than we got.
sounds perfect

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I should have talked about this months ago, but my answer is...............yesn't

For one hand, I love Simon in Smash. I love his animations, i love his design, i love his moveset. Simon could have been the ONLY CV representative in Smash, and i would have been completely OK with that, since i was pushing for Simon and ONLY Simon and never asked for anyone else in Smash. Simon was my choice and always will be my choice.

But, i do see the argument that most Belmonts basically play the same, so brining them over would have been nice. The problem is, that almost all of them have varyingly different designs. I think part of the reason they went with Richter's classic look is because they didn't have to worry about having his coat, so that already puts out the likes of Julius and Juste. Then you have to realize that since Sakurai could only give Hero 4 different alts, it's fair to say the same would be done with Belmonts. Also Juste and Leon are far less muscular than Simon so that also brings problems.

So my choices for the 4 alts would be:
-Simon, the Defeault.
-Trevor: i know what i said about the coats, but Trevor is just too important to leave out. He was the first Belmont to beat Dracula, he appeared in other CV games as a legacy character, and is in general the 3rd most recognizable Belmont alongside Simon and Richter. I don't think Smash would even use the Netflix series design as adaptations like those are pretty much ignored in Smash (except for the likes of Advent Children, which in that case was a direct sequel to FF7 in Film form, as opposed to Netflix was just a licensed CV cartoon) and in general the old designs of Trevor of CV3 are rarely used unlike Simon, so the Curse of Darkness look will probably be used here, as that is the most common design used for Trevor, even in his Smash Spirit, so i think they would go for that.
-Christopher: The most underrated Belmont. He was originally supposed to be the one that first beat Dracula (as implied in the CV1 instruction manual in Japan, but due to developer miscommunications between CV3 and the Adventure, they both ended up beign different games, with Trevor (known as Ralph C. Belmondo in Japan) beign the first, and Chris beign second. Still, he was the first Belmont to ever beat Dracula twice, and the first CV character to do so. Plus his design is similar enough to Simon, so i think he would make for a great Alt.
-Richter.

Like how Simon uses some moves from Richter and vise versa, it would be cool if they also inherited the other Belmonts powers and vice versa, Like Trevor's Kicking attacks for an infinite Jab, or Christopher Belmont's Fire Projectile for a Side Smash. But despite this possible ideas, im not intersted in the idea of Simon beign turned into "Belmont". Simon is good enough as is, and represents the CV series wonderfully, with Richter as an extra fanservice, and the only changes i would do is make them play a little differently (IE: Remove Richter's moves from Simon and give him new moves)

Top Bottom