• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you guys prefer Mario over Dr. Mario?

Is Mario better?

• Yes...

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • No...

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters

Xsesyrian

Smash Rookie
:ultmario::ultdoc: - I don't have the game yet but I'm just wondering if Mario is stronger than Doctor Mario. I researched the difference between the two. A few people said that Mario is weak, fast, floaty, and has a very agile combo game while the doctor is opposite from that (strong, slightly slow, etc.). Others say that Mario has a better recovery than Dr.Mario. Any other info between the two?

Guljy

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3601 9213 6336
Well now doctor mario has a more powerful down B a worse side B and a better neutral B when compared to mario imo.

SmokeOut

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2406-5837-9935
Everything you listed is true, but Mario's pros outweigh Doc's pros imo. His speed and recovery are the deciding factors for me. Doc does hit harder and pills are better than fireballs, but his recovery is too crippling and he should weigh more considering how slow he is. Mario's fireballs aren't bad and his combo game, along with Fair, Fsmash, and Upsmash make up for the power disadvantage.

Guljy

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3601 9213 6336
Everything you listed is true, but Mario's pros outweigh Doc's pros imo. His speed and recovery are the deciding factors for me. Doc does hit harder and pills are better than fireballs, but his recovery is too crippling and he should weigh more considering how slow he is. Mario's fireballs aren't bad and his combo game, along with Fair, Fsmash, and Upsmash make up for the power disadvantage.
I agree Doc has a TERRIBLE recovery and was made even worse due to he new air dodging. I like both but I would consider mario better

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Listen, I want to main Dr. Mario, but JESUS that recovery is a dealbreaker. I’ll just play Ganon if I want slow but powerful tbh

Last edited:

Felancius

Smash Cadet
Mario vs Dr. Mario is pretty much the opposite of how it was in Melee, where Dr. Mario was superior in that game, but in Ultimate, Mario comes off as better and far easier to use instead. Despite Mario having had his down-throw nerfed to disable his easiest combo, he feels buffed overall along with Dr. Mario. However, Doc feels like a high-risk, high reward character that can be scary with the right practice. If I had to choose, because Mario has less of a learning curve, I say he's better in Ultimate.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
As this is coming from a guy who uses both of the Marios, Doc's pretty risky to main, especially if you plan on flying solo with him. He's slow (which is to be expected considering how hard he hits) and his recovery's indeed gimp-able. Mario on the other hand: No problem at all to main. Tbh, I use Doc as a counter-pick character from time to time just to throw some people off match-up wise.

Grudgeguy

Smash Rookie
I found my old account just to come in here and say that Doc needs a better air dodge. There is no chance to recover with his up b or down b in many cases. His air dodge just makes you immobile & you miss the opportunity to up b to ledge in most cases. You can be the best doc in the world, mashing with perfect tempo, the air dodge will not give you the up-b opportunity. I want to main doc & I will be getting him to elite, but I lose stocks to dumb smash moves that I should have survived

Last edited:

Shmickle

Smash Rookie
As this is coming from a guy who uses both of the Marios, Doc's pretty risky to main, especially if you plan on flying solo with him. He's slow (which is to be expected considering how hard he hits) and his recovery's indeed gimp-able. Mario on the other hand: No problem at all to main. Tbh, I use Doc as a counter-pick character from time to time just to throw some people off match-up wise.
Same. I use both but prefer Mario due to the more reliable recovery and his speed. While I love doc's power, it's more satisfying to me to end a combo with Mario's fair. :)

BlueJaySSB

Poggers my Doggers
Mario is definitely better. I personally think Doc is more fun, but Mario is way more viable. The recovery and overall speed just means so much in this game. And I've always loved Mario's combo game. However, if you are just playing to have fun just go with personal preference.

Naov

Smash Cadet
I started playing Doc in ultimate (and passed all World of Light with him) because Mario seemed weaker for me than in previous smash iterations (i was a Mario main on melee, never understood the flood well until now)

Doc has a great kill power below 100%, but his recovery is very bad and I stopped using it after started playing online and I couldn't defeat better players. He's just too slow.

Then, recently, I tried Mario again as with my main I faced several Marios with good abilities. I ended up liking Mario more than Doc.

Mario is very responsive. Most of his moves hit on early frames, so you can follow up your mind very well and combo easily. So at the end, even when he doesn't have too much kill power, you can spike very easily and do multiple small hits until you get the KO.

Aquuds

Smash Cadet
Here’s my comparison:
KO power: Dr. Mario
Combos: by FAR Mario
Recovery: Mario
Mobility: Mario
Edgeguarding: Mario
Range: equal
Overall Mario’s better.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Mario is blatantly better for only one reason honestly. It wouldn't be so clear cut if Doc's recovery was actually decent. Doc actually has a lot going for him compared to Mario otherwise. A much better short hop, better against light characters, a back throw on par with Ness' back-throw, an arguably better projectile that catches jumps and is practically an "imagination" combo starter, down throw to tornado being a kill confirm at like 50% on the ledge, Up-B OoS killing, tornado edge-guards, reverse sex-kick nair, a much easier time killing in general..but yeah his recovery is legitimately so bad that none of that really matters and it's borderline nightmarish to be offstage against a lot of characters. Up-B actually goes no where at all and it's really baffling that he's gone almost 5 years with the same overly nerfed recovery. I'll always prefer him to Mario but I would definitely main him or co-main him if his recovery was good.

Last edited:

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
I know it has already been beat in this thread, but Mario is still much better than Dr. Mario. Especially in a game where edgeguarding and recoveries are important.

Top Bottom