• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WoL Would you ditch WoL for the sake of freeing up space for more content?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I liked WoL despite a few frustrating battles, but...it's taken up so much space that we lost modes like Target Test, All-Star was relegated to another Mob Smash mode, and Stage Builder and Home-Run Contest had to be added through updates (with the latter being pretty much our last mode).

So the main point of this thread is this: would you ditch WoL to free up space? We'd probably gain:

>Target Test
>Base Stage Builder
>Base Home-Run Contest
>Coin Battles
>Maybe a couple more fighters for the base game?
>Maybe a couple more bosses, at least? Along with Boss Battles
>Plus, we can keep the Spirit Board without WoL

What do you think?

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I'd say so, yeah. To me, WoL is only good for about one playthrough—and that's only to unlock all the characters. I don't even think I've ever touched it since I finished it.

I somewhat enjoy Spirits—they're very reminiscent of custom equipment from Smash 4. It's kind of a pain having to level them up, even though it's pretty easy to do so with the candies or whatever they were called. I have hundreds of unleveled spirits and it's a bit of a nuisance having to level them up just to use them in a set.

Trading WoL for a couple more fighters is probably a bit too generous though. Although, if that means a higher chance of Byleth and PaRappa getting in the game, then I'll take it.

Contrary to popular opinion, I actually like Smash Tour, so I'd love to see it make a return. I've never tried Smash Run, but I don't think I would like it as much as Smash Tour if I'm being honest.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This is the same kind of logic character detractors use with lines such as "waste of a slot". You can apply this argument to pretty much any mode or aspect you don't care about, and I know some people around here who wish they had put more resources into WoL instead of less.

The writing was on the wall for Target Test getting the boot; it had slowly been getting phased out from Brawl onwards, because making unique stages for more fighters was just getting to be too much. Same deal with All-Star, forced to include larger and larger batches of characters in each round to keep things moving before it just became unfeasible as a full mode.

The number of fighters and balancing for multiplayer has been a far bigger factor in limiting content than any mode ever will be. But no one is just going to come out and say they wish there were less fighters so that there could be more ways to play, because at the end of the day, are they really the reason people like playing these games?

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
I liked WoL despite a few frustrating battles, but...it's taken up so much space that we lost modes like Target Test, All-Star was relegated to another Mob Smash mode, and Stage Builder and Home-Run Contest had to be added through updates (with the latter being pretty much our last mode).

So the main point of this thread is this: would you ditch WoL to free up space? We'd probably gain:

>Target Test
>Base Stage Builder
>Base Home-Run Contest
>Coin Battles
>Maybe a couple more fighters for the base game?
>Maybe a couple more bosses, at least? Along with Boss Battles
>Plus, we can keep the Spirit Board without WoL

What do you think?
WOL was dog**** imo. I'd take any of those over WOL.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not sure if ditching World of Light while still keeping the Spirit Board would free up a ton of space. The spirit battles take up a huge majority of the World of Light's gameplay - without counting those, it seems like the only things that would be lost would be the two boss battles unique to that mode, the maps (which doesn't seem like it would take much work to create), one method of unlocking fighters (there are plenty of others), nine incredibly short cutscenes, and the Master spirits and the dojo concept.

I question if removing that would be enough to get Target Test (maybe a handful of generic levels like what Brawl had, but that's about it), let alone every single thing that you listed.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if ditching World of Light while still keeping the Spirit Board would free up a ton of space. The spirit battles take up a huge majority of the World of Light's gameplay - without counting those, it seems like the only things that would be lost would be the two boss battles unique to that mode, the maps (which doesn't seem like it would take much work to create), one method of unlocking fighters (there are plenty of others), nine incredibly short cutscenes, and the Master spirits and the dojo concept.
About the only thing there that sounds like it would amount to anything if you took it away would be the two bosses.

While I can think of a lot of actual character I'd like to see come in and be used as bosses in the remaining modes, I really didn't have any problem with the bosses it gave us. Smash has always used original characters for bosses.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
No. Other than the fact for bias for it, the mode was essentially on budget with time and resources due to the strict time of 2 years + extra focus of characters. Removing it wouldn't exactly give us those, it would just make the game more like Smash 4 with a bigger roster and Less content than should.

Also I like WoL more than those modes anyways

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
I don't think both WoL and Spirits would save room for several more modes or fighters, but I would gladly take this offer, even if it only gave us, say, Coin Battle and Brawl's version of Target Smash.

Top Bottom