• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you buy the next Smash game if it cut several of your favorite characters?

Well, would you?

• Yes I would still buy it.

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • No, I'll stick with the older games.

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Imagine yourself in the future where Nintendo announces a brand new Smash with Sakurai returning as the director. He states that this new game has a new engine, and announces a whole bunch of cool new modes, including Subspace Emissary 2 which will feature a new storyline with cutscenes featuring brand new character interactions.

The catch is, in order to bring in all this new content, they had to cut roughly 25 characters, including some of your favorites. Oh yeah, and they also had to cut down on the stage roster considerably. They do make up for it by introducing about 10+ newcomers.

How would you feel about this? Would you still buy this new game despite some of your favorites getting cut?

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Assuming I’m still interested in the SSB series at that point, I’d probably say yes since I like Super Smash Flash 2, which doesn’t have Shulk or Ice Climbers (fingers crossed they eventually get added) and also has a roster slightly more than half the size of Ultimate’s, but I’ll admit that I’d be disappointed if some of my favorites miss the cut (primarily Ice Climbers, who I’d say is in most danger for my favorites).

Last edited:

Another Player

Smash Apprentice
Almost sounds like fishing. These types of questions are generally too broad to have an answer. Chess is a game where its creator can not pull the rug from under you like Nintendo is doing with Smash. If there's an attempt to dumb a game down and/or make it uninteresting I might not play it even if you paid me.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Depends on how many they cut, who the newcomers are, what the new engine is like, how good the new modes are, etc
Pretty much this.

I still bought despite Smash cutting some of my favorites (Roy, Mewtwo, Wolf)

UserKev

Smash Champion
Lol I'd buy it. Every new Smash instalment will always be interesting. All of you better be ready for Smash to drop 25% of your third party favorites. Every fan favorite 1st party requests are a lock so I'm content.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly I'm not sure. A few years back I'd say yes for sure, but I've noticed I've been playing less and less since Terry was announced and playing other games I previously ignored for Smash.

Cutting the original 8 wouldn't be something I'd personally approve of. Cutting almost anyone else I'm absolutely fine with though. Maybe not Luigi or Bowser, but everyone else, Sakurai can go nuts.

Each Smash edition lives or dies on it's newcomers for me, so it's dependant on who those ten are and if me or my buddies are fans of the characters. If we are, then yep, instant purchasing. If not, eh... I'll leave it for a while until the game's last DLC is revealed to make a decision.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Honestly I'm not sure. A few years back I'd say yes for sure, but I've noticed I've been playing less and less since Terry was announced and playing other games I previously ignored for Smash.

Cutting the original 8 wouldn't be something I'd personally approve of. Cutting almost anyone else I'm absolutely fine with though. Maybe not Luigi or Bowser, but everyone else, Sakurai can go nuts.

Each Smash edition lives or dies on it's newcomers for me, so it's dependant on who those ten are and if me or my buddies are fans of the characters. If we are, then yep, instant purchasing. If not, eh... I'll leave it for a while until the game's last DLC is revealed to make a decision.
The original 12 or 8 or whatever are literal mainstays. Bowser and Luigi aren't being cut anytime soon. Every 1st party prier to Brawl are extremely locks, its energy lose just discussing the matter. Its almost dream like to imagine Bowser or Luigi being cut.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The original 12 or 8 or whatever are literal mainstays. Bowser and Luigi aren't being cut anytime soon. Every 1st party prier to Brawl are extremely locks, its energy lose just discussing the matter. Its almost dream like to imagine Bowser or Luigi being cut.
it was just a hypothetical scenario

Gnight

Smash Journeyman
If Smash lost characters I like looking at, I'd probably not buy the next Smash game.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Other fighting games cut characters from their roster all the time. It's not that big of a deal to me.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Depends; there's a right way of cutting characters and a wrong way of doing so.

Monster Hunter World had very few monsters at launch, yet more than made up for that by making the gameplay much better than the grindy "classic" installments.

Pokémon Sword and Shield finally reached the point where having a full National Dex in every game would be unsustainable, but they did nothing to make up for its loss.

So it all depends on whether they can make the core mechanics make up for the loss. I think the Smash series is stale and needs to do something beyond just introducing new characters, so I'd be all for introducing new core mechanics or universal move categories.

Gnight

Smash Journeyman
Other fighting games cut characters from their roster all the time. It's not that big of a deal to me.
The only other fighting game I play with any consistency is Pokken and Pikachu is my favorite pokemon so it doesn't matter.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Depends lets say they cut all young links and dont add a new one ill probably drop the game or wait for a discount especially if the "NORMAL LINK" is botw 1 or 2 themed!
I asumme all other of my fav chars and fav opponents or partners get cut i think the zelda and kirby cast asside Shiek are safe and someone like cloud can be cut without me batting an eye
And the stages need a revamp the most smash has a bad stage selection anyways!

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Depends. If it cuts link, my Comp main, I’m fine. If it cuts Hero, the character I use for fun, I won’t buy it.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I keep trying to respond to this post - but then I think about a smash game without Link, Olimar, Little Mac - and it makes me pause.

I think I would buy it (the completionist in me would want it) but dang if my favorites were missing it would feel weird

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I keep trying to respond to this post - but then I think about a smash game without Link, Olimar, Little Mac - and it makes me pause.

I think I would buy it (the completionist in me would want it) but dang if my favorites were missing it would feel weird
Link? you mean as in all link? or Botw link? or only the young links?
Because im 100% sure that the next smash will have some link! i mean i guess if zelda goes bananas and cuts link as the main char maybe but unless link dies in Botw 2 anjd never reeincarnates again which i hope doesnt happen i think were fine!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Link? you mean as in all link? or Botw link? or only the young links?
Because im 100% sure that the next smash will have some link! i mean i guess if zelda goes bananas and cuts link as the main char maybe but unless link dies in Botw 2 anjd never reeincarnates again which i hope doesnt happen i think were fine!
you know this is a thread of hypotheticals right?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
My Faves are:
  1. the mascot of one of the most profitable franchise and one of the iconic mythologies in human civilization... but for whom the last couple of core game entries of have either been an exhausting process to progress through, or in the most recent release's case-- was outright offensive in just how much giggling contempt it revealed it had for its audience and what they want out of a game from that franchise. Additionally, the franchise historically hasn't translated well to roster-centric games, with many iconic characters often being left out because the franchise has too many iconic characters to fit into a roster-centric game. It's just not reasonable to expect, but you're so used to everything being present in the core games that anything less just feels woefully incomplete.
  2. one of gaming's most iconic characters... whose franchise is only ever present in the videogame industry in relatively short bursts, often skipping entire console generations.
  3. the aforementioned iconic videogame character albeit with a completely different moveset and playstyle wearing an outfit that's iconic in its own right... but the outfit in question is only iconic because the fanservicey nature of it results in internet shenanigans every ****ing time a Smash game comes out.
  4. a duo of characters who are fun to play as... but were introduced very recently, and whose fanservicey character designs are arguably their main selling point.
  5. a "create-your-own-character" gimmick... something that's universally a high-risk low-reward PITA for game developers. Go buy RPG Maker and try to make a game that allows the player to create their own character visually; you will learn to hate the god(s) you believe in, you will learn to hate programming, and you will learn to hate yourself. And if you don't learn to hate any of those things, congratulations, you are a god who just wasted time and money on a game development program that's completely beneath you. Uninstall RPG Maker and reinstall your actual game development tools like the absolute god/clown you are. Clown God. God Clown sits upon his God Clown Throne in his God Clown Circus Castle in the God Clown Carnival Kingdom, surrounded by his Angel Clown subjects. Look upon the world you made and go "🤦‍♀️." That's you, buddy: Clown God.
  6. a character that had already been cut in Brawl-- the game I started with --and thus whose appearance always feels like an added bonus rather than as a necessity. And it's from the same franchise as the #1, so the problems with #1 apply here as well.
  7. a character whose owned by ****ing Konami and whose spiritual successor received a mixed reception. His franchise ain't "gone" like Mega Man or gOnE like Castlevania; it's ****ing "Deader than Uncle Ben vacationing in Gotham during the Purge" gone gone.
  8. a character I loved playing as in previous smash games... but was recently reworked to better reflect his canonical character design, a rework that was well-received and objectively much-needed, but for me resulted in a moveset that just isn't as satisfying to play as or to watch others play as.
  9. a character whose franchise I lowkey can't stand anymore due to euro-medeival fantasy settings being just The Absolute Worst trend in modern pop culture, and would be thus perfectly fine with being completely severed from Smash altogether.
  10. and Meta Knight, a character who... I can't actually think of a reason to justify Sakurai cutting.
So, yeah, I might be bummed out if a couple/most of my absolute faves got the axe, but I'd still totes buy Smash 6.

Now if it removed ALL of those characters, however, I'd be somewhat hesitant to buy the game, depending on how many characters I like playing as but don't necessarily love managed to survive the inevitable culling that'd happen in Smash 6.

Last edited:

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
If Inkling gets cut, then I'm not buying the next Smash game. But there's no reason why Inkling would be cut in the first place, so I'll most likely buy the game.

If Inkling stays but some of my other favorites are cut, I would buy the game, but I would be upset about losing my favorites and I would push for their return.

including Subspace Emissary 2 which will feature a new storyline with cutscenes featuring brand new character interactions.
If Subspace 2 officially canonizes the blue and orange Inklings as BFFs, then that'll soften the blow of me losing other characters that I like, at least to an extent

Top Bottom