• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you be willing to delay Smash Ultimate for a year to add the following...

Would you be wiling to delay the game for a year to add the items listed in the first post.

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

It is like grabbing obscure Marvel heroes and leaving Spiderman and Ironman out of the picture.
This is a terrible analogy sense all the big name Nintendo characters are already in, and all the characters you mentioned are third party.

volbound1700

Smash Master
This is a terrible analogy sense all the big name Nintendo characters are already in, and all the characters you mentioned are third party.
Ok, to play by your rules. Let's say Marvel has the chance to add DC Characters and they decide to add Aquaman instead of Superman or Batman. That should fit your analogy.

I have been on here since 2007 and lived through Brawl and Smash 4. I never saw disappointment like I saw for 11/1/2018. I also never felt disappointment on how the other Smash games ended. This one is an exception. Perhaps DLC can recover it but from what Hitagi is leaking, looks like we are getting garbage there as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ok, to play by your rules. Let's say Marvel has the chance to add DC Characters and they decide to add Aquaman instead of Superman or Batman. That should fit your analogy.
Also terrible because we already have Batman and Superman in this scenario.

:ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultpacman::ultsnake::ultsimon::ultcloud:

This analogy would only work if instead of these guys, they went for more obscure third party characters owned by the same companies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
To better explain the roster issues, let me break it down for you:

1. Ken - An obvious clone. Street Fighter gets 2 characters but the Final Fantasy or Sonic series still has 1? This one was divisive and it is probably the one character that I am alright with out of the final selection. I guess it was too obvious.

2. Isabella - A kiddie-friendly character from a kiddie-friendly non-action series game. Yes we have gotten these in the past but we usually get wow characters tagged more often with them. Not a character that people get hyped about and Villager already represented this series and moveset well.

3. Incineroar - The 100th Pokemon (I am exaggerating). Yet we haven't gotten a true Zelda newcomer since Melee and still only have three DKC characters. Can you see the problem?

4. Piranha Plant - Ok, this fits the wierd strange character but it is a character from a series that is already well represented and is a slap in the face to Waluigi and/or Geno fans.

Also terrible because we already have Batman and Superman in this scenario.

:ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultpacman::ultsnake::ultsimon::ultcloud:

This analogy would only work if instead of these guys, they went for more obscure third party characters owned by the same companies.
We only got one of them as a newcomer (Simon Belmont) this time around as previously stated. Also there are other characters out there that Nintendo could add in a heart beat like Bomberman (why is he an AT and Isabella a character?) or Rayman (we already got Rabbids in the game).

I guess it was the lack of real characters since August that got everyone upset. The August characters and Everyone is here was a great feature and it still makes me excited about the game.

However, I would wait a year to get a better product.

D

Deleted member

We only got one of them as a newcomer (Simon Belmont) this time around as previously stated. Also there are other characters out there that Nintendo could add in a heart beat like Bomberman (why is he an AT and Isabella a character?) or Rayman (we already got Rabbids in the game).

I guess it was the lack of real characters since August that got everyone upset. The August characters and Everyone is here was a great feature and it still makes me excited about the game.

However, I would wait a year to get a better product.
Her name is Isabelle, and it's never Nintendo's decision to add a third party character. They have to make sure the company that owns them is on board, they have to pay licensing fees, and they have to check in with the owner to make sure their property is being represented the way they want. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes. ****'s expensive. Waiting a year would not magically get you the characters you want. That's not how any of this works.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
volbound1700 volbound1700 I completely agree, with a few exceptions

I think Isabelle was a great choice. Animal Crossing is clearly a new heavy hitter for Nintendo along with Splatoon, so having two reps only feels natural. I also like Daisy, Chrom and Dark Samus as echoes. Chrom puts a cap on the Awakening trio and Dark Samus is just more support for the Metroid franchise that continuesly got overlooked outside of Brawl I guess. Daisy just adds a spin off character, and is popular. (I like Mario, and she’s a good characters so no hate from me)

I will agree with the rest though. I don’t hate Incineroar, but he isn’t exciting, just another Pokemon like we were all expecting. Ken felt like a stab in the back along with Richter as Castlevania and Street Fighter get echoes, but their biggest 3rd party that has been with the series for 3 games now gets nothing? What does it take for Sakurai to pay attention to Sonic, no new remixes, no echo, and the same bland move set with the same attack being used over and over. The returning characters are pretty weak as well, other than Snake, Wolf, and Ice Climbers I didn’t feel like many needed to come back as they were cut for a reason. Piranha Plant was admittedly a funny idea and looks promising, but I won’t lie, the joke could have been better, like having a completely new series instead.

As for what I would want, well...

I would love an Adventure mode similar to Melee, but with actual platforming levels for all franchises. Keep the Nintendo feel of Adventure Mode, but the level structure of Subspace and I think it could be a good mode even without cutscenes.

Add a few characters
1) Bandana Waddle Dee - Completes the Kirby quartet that has been established in recent titles
2) Impa - She is basically the 4th reoccurring Zelda character
3) Dixie Kong - Completes the Kong trio, having the main protagonists of the original Country trilogy
5) Captain Toad - The star of his own game and has become an important Mario character, plus he adds Toadette
6) Rayman - Ubisoft’s Mascot should have his time in the spot light after the Nintendo partnership

Finally make a real stage builder.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Her name is Isabelle, and it's never Nintendo's decision to add a third party character. They have to make sure the company that owns them is on board, they have to pay licensing fees, and they have to check in with the owner to make sure their property is being represented the way they want. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes. ****'s expensive. Waiting a year would not magically get you the characters you want. That's not how any of this works.
If you have the right to add AT, you have the right to add the Character lol. Plus companies are jumping over themselves to get characters in Smash right now.

D

Deleted member

The lack of new Sonic content is almost entirely on Sega.

If you have the right to add AT, you have the right to add the Character lol. Plus companies are jumping over themselves to get characters in Smash right now.
Uh...no. That’s not how it works. And yeah, companies want their characters in Smash, but they aren’t just going to give them away for free.

Milky2Milk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hydgen29
As long as the stage editor is better than in Smash 4...

It would be cool to be able to make your own world of light esc levels, picking characters, stages and rulesets being able to edit the overworld map.

I’m not sure how the overworld editor would function tho.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
You know, I'm probably going to make a thread like this, but with less ridiculous options.

Not the the options are bad in any way....it's just too hard to justify delaying the game for a full year.

Last edited:

Mimic88

Smash Cadet
I voted no. I think we can expect some of the stuff you mentioned and more in future updates.

UserKev

Smash Champion
So far it looks like around 72% as nos. However, if I had said 6 months, it would probably bump it up a little based on the responses. IMO, Ultimate doesn't feel "Ultimate" as it currently stands with a lot of fan favorite characters still left out, no stage editor (I liked the brawl stage editor better than the one from 4), and a questionable Spirits Mode. I am still kind of wait and see about Spirits but it seems weak.

Ultimate is definitely "ultimate" when you factor the entire roster returning and the abundance of stages. However, I share the opinion of some on this thread that this could be the last real Smash game and I would prefer it go out with a bang rather than a rushed product that is lacking that last bit of polish.

With a bang would include having fan favorite characters like Banjo, Geno, Rayman, Dixie Kong, Isaac, etc. The fanbase of these characters have been loud since the start of this game.
I totally agree with you. I'm not going to jump on the third party bandwagon but Skull Kid and Dixie Kong are extremely missing. I find majority of Smash Ultimate's new picks strange because they feel like forced timing.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Would I delay Smash Ultimate for Stage Builder? Yes.

Would I delay it for a year? Hell no.

I love stage builder, but I'm not gonna wait another year for it. Also we have 103+ stages, so I think I'll survive without it.

Arthur97

Smash Master
User was warned for this post
Here's a tip, if you want to be taken seriously, don't put "lol" in your statements.

volbound1700

Smash Master

Uh...no. That’s not how it works. And yeah, companies want their characters in Smash, but they aren’t just going to give them away for free.
Uh... yes that is how it works. You have to get a license agreement to utilize any IP. If Nintendo has the AT in the game, than they likely obtained that licensing agreement. Granted, Hudson could put conditions on the license but that is very unlikely and rare outside of the music industry.

I feel that if Sakurai wanted to make Bomberman a character, Hudson wouldn't object. There are a few companies that won't give characters away from free but most want the "free" publicity of being tied with Smash.

I work in IP and I work with Marketing so I know these items.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
I said yes, but only to make everyone extremely upset if they ever did that.

I'll hold my heart out there for the geno/ banjo boys and girls out there but that's it.

Issac lads need to take their time and mourn the loss of their boy. It's okay to cry. let it out guys.

They get my sympathy but other than those three fan-bases, screw everybody else. I'll laugh in their face in real life.

I'd rather get Lip from Panel De Pon in the game since she's been Sakurai's first pick for a while and it baffles me that he didn't put her little ass in the game. Spirits mode scratched that itch a bit I guess >.>

He chose a Piranha plant over his favorite character. Remember that. Joke aside they added piranha plant in because it's simple enough to be quick and easy to develop in time but obscure and limited enough to push the limits and really get the creative juices flowing. It was a beautiful pick (flower pun?) to be sure.

just enjoy what we already have people. New things will be on the way. This'll be the last smash for nearly a decade after all, so of course they'll have to support it off and on with updates and balance patches. Hell this may as well be the last smash as we know it until they need to reboot the franchise.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
3. The following popular Characters:
a. Geno
b. Isaac
c. SkullKid
d. Banjo-Kazooie
e. Tails (semi-echo)
f. Rayman
g. Dixie Kong (echo)
h. Chorus Kids
Clearly none of these are high priority enough to happen or are too unimportant. And some are impossible because of copyright red tape. I'm fine with what we have.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
While possible, I feel this is extremely unlikely. We already have Shadow in the game, so why couldn’t he be an echo? Also before anyone answers that Sega wouldn’t allow it, lets look at Sega’s track record. They gave Sonic to a team of fans who happened to make good fan games. They gave Sonic to a television team that does nothing but relentlessly mock the character and his history. They gave him to LEGO, who did the same thing as the tv crew and created a level that does nothing but roast Sonic. They have a Twitter that is just a living meme. To top it all off we are now getting a live action buddy cop movie with Sonic.

Sega doesn’t care about their franchise anymore and will do anything to give it attention even if it comes at the cost of brand image. So you’re telling me that Sega, the living meme, would have a problem with adding more Sonic content to Smash. That just seems very unlikely in their current state.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
While possible, I feel this is extremely unlikely. We already have Shadow in the game, so why couldn’t he be an echo?
The fanbase probably came up with the idea before Sakurai. Had SSBU been announced at E3 2017 instead, he probably would've gotten time to consider it.

volbound1700

Smash Master

Tougon, ultimate I respect you and I know this will be a good game. We have different opinions so let's just agree to disagree :). Happy Smashing.

D

Deleted member

While possible, I feel this is extremely unlikely. We already have Shadow in the game, so why couldn’t he be an echo? Also before anyone answers that Sega wouldn’t allow it, lets look at Sega’s track record. They gave Sonic to a team of fans who happened to make good fan games. They gave Sonic to a television team that does nothing but relentlessly mock the character and his history. They gave him to LEGO, who did the same thing as the tv crew and created a level that does nothing but roast Sonic. They have a Twitter that is just a living meme. To top it all off we are now getting a live action buddy cop movie with Sonic.

Sega doesn’t care about their franchise anymore and will do anything to give it attention even if it comes at the cost of brand image. So you’re telling me that Sega, the living meme, would have a problem with adding more Sonic content to Smash. That just seems very unlikely in their current state.
I’m more referring to music here. Sonic music rights are messy. It’s why we only had two Genesis-era songs, and the LEGO Dimensions level had to opt for sound-alike garbage instead of the real music.

Shadow is...I dunno.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Uh... yes that is how it works. You have to get a license agreement to utilize any IP. If Nintendo has the AT in the game, than they likely obtained that licensing agreement. Granted, Hudson could put conditions on the license but that is very unlikely and rare outside of the music industry.

I feel that if Sakurai wanted to make Bomberman a character, Hudson wouldn't object. There are a few companies that won't give characters away from free but most want the "free" publicity of being tied with Smash.

Uh... HudsonSoft is dead. Konami absorbed it.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

That's all totally true.

I feel like the lack of a Sonic newcomer was mutual, however. Sakurai probably didn't want to flood the already limited newcomer selections with third parties, and SEGA probably put limits on the license. Knowing SEGA, it's entirely possible that they gave Nintendo the "L" by limiting a license.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I doubt the dev team cares much for Sonic at all.
His moveset is lackluster with two specials being practically the same thing and the series as a whole has been a joke for the longest time.
The devs probably just think it'd be better to prioritize other properties.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I doubt the dev team cares much for Sonic at all.
His moveset is lackluster with two specials being practically the same thing and the series as a whole has been a joke for the longest time.
The devs probably just think it'd be better to prioritize other properties.
They put enough care to make him take damage while swimming which is a nice little touch.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
They put enough care to make him take damage while swimming which is a nice little touch.
That's nice, but Sonic only gets Fist Bump (a recent song noone really cares for), while Mega Man, Street Fighter and Castlevania get huge numbers of remixes. People usually say "at least Sonic has good music", but he doesn't even get that in Smash.

While I love Sonic, it is a fact he is pure mediocrity at the very best. Stopping to care about him and laughing at how pathetic he has become is probably better for my mental health than hoping it'll get better.

Arthur97

Smash Master
That's nice, but Sonic only gets Fist Bump (a recent song noone really cares for), while Mega Man, Street Fighter and Castlevania get huge numbers of remixes. People usually say "at least Sonic has good music", but he doesn't even get that in Smash.

While I love Sonic, it is a fact he is pure mediocrity at the very best. Stopping to care about him and laughing at how pathetic he has become is probably better for my mental health than hoping it'll get better.
How can they know the full song list?

volbound1700

Smash Master
That's all totally true.

I feel like the lack of a Sonic newcomer was mutual, however. Sakurai probably didn't want to flood the already limited newcomer selections with third parties, and SEGA probably put limits on the license. Knowing SEGA, it's entirely possible that they gave Nintendo the "L" by limiting a license.
That could be possible. Good points. I found it odd we got Ken but not a Sonic rep. Street Fighter II was a flash in the pan and then kind of fell off after the Genesis/SNES era. Sonic has lasting appeal and has been around a while.

I believe that Sakurai and team made up for it with a lot of Sonic the Hedgehog spirits. I saw a ton of them in the Direct. It is funny that the Smash Develop Team considers AT to be a plus for characters but most people only get angry or insulted when they see their favorite character as an AT. I don't think that is the attention. ATs just don't appear long enough or regular enough to make feel that they are true representatives.

One item that I am wondering is whether the Spirits of an AT are actually represented by their AT and you have to fight that AT. That would be neat.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
One thing I want is for rolling to be impossible once you perform it three times in a row. That way your opponent will be forced to approach, rather than trying to sit back. In fact, what'd be even greater is if your opponent rolled so much that he or she entered the dazed animation so you could show how ****ty his or her options were. That's one delay for a year I'd understand.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
How can they know the full song list?
Basically, if you add up every Sonic track that has been in some Smash game, you get 18 unique ones.
We know Sonic has 20 pieces of music total from one direct, and one of them is Fist Bump.
The best case scenario is that there is ONE remix. But chances are, it's just another standard track taken from one of his games (not Mania, I'm certain), as it was in Smash 4.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Basically, if you add up every Sonic track that has been in some Smash game, you get 18 unique ones.
We know Sonic has 20 pieces of music total from one direct, and one of them is Fist Bump.
The best case scenario is that there is ONE remix. But chances are, it's just another standard track taken from one of his games (not Mania, I'm certain), as it was in Smash 4.
There's nothing saying for certain that was all of them.

Top Bottom