• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would Mewtwo beat or lose to Roy?

Do you like being Mewtwo in battle?

• Total voters

Zachary the Master

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1177-7152-1947
If Mewtwo were fighting Roy one-on-one with no items, who would win and why? And I want good reasons, not things like "Mewtwo, because he's epic!".

Zachary the Master

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1177-7152-1947
Sorry about the survey profanity, I meant to put butt but my fingers but in the other word. And I can't change it! Requesting help from any moderator!

Thor

Smash Champion
Find MU chart discussion thread if there is one - it would answer this question just fine...

I don't know crap about either character beyond like, movesets and relative fallspeeds and general style, but I know Roy combos and gets combed hard, while teleport gives Mewtwo an absurd approach and his huge tail probably outranges or nearly matches Roy's sweetspot range. I'd have to guess it goes to Mewtwo, since Mewtwo combos fastfallers well and also has the range to keep Roy near his tipper (weaker) edge of the sword, but I'm sure there are Roy and Mewtwo mains who have a lot more to say about this. I also think Roy CAN win and overcome the MU - it's not Brawl Ganon versus ICs where the ICs have to just plain screw up repeatedly for Ganon to have a chance.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Mewtwo can have some difficulty against swords, and he gets killed off the top pretty easily. However, Roy is relatively fast falling, which mewtwo likes for combos, and he gets gimped pretty damn easily. I would put this one in Mewtwo's favor for that reason. Back air just does so much damage as far as gimping him is concerned.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
The matchup is approximately 55:45 in Roy's favor. Roy's biggest weakness in the matchup is his subpar recovery, compared to Mewtwo's excellent off-stage game. But the disjointed hitbox and hard punishes give Mewtwo some problems. Mewtwo has good range with his tail, but they are still hurtboxes and Roy's sword goes through that.

Here's a video of me losing to Sethlon's Roy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOrQz__d1lg

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Roy is actually harder to beat than Marth is, in my experience. it has to do with the sweetspots on the disjoints.

both are bad matchups for Mewtwo, probably still Marth moreso; it probably has to do with my comfort zones. lol

Last edited:

Based Gob

Smash Rookie
One of my good friends and practice partners plays roy, and I am a mewtwo main. It seems like it's mostly a skill matchup, as in better player wins. It is also quite map dependent. For example, I have a lot of trouble on yoshi's story since because his side smash will kill me at like 40%.

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
I think it it fairly even at low-mid levels. It may even be in roy's favor. However, Mewtwo has the advantage at higher levels because of his sheer number of options. That being said, Roy/marth are some of the better anti-mewtwo characters, but mewtwo doesn't actually have many bad matchups, if any.

SamSun

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-8695-2370
Every time I've played a Roy, they had an extremely tough time with me just camping..

I definitely feel like Mewtwo wins, hit confirming with shadow ball and camping is awesome.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Roy is one of Mewtwo's tougher matchups. Both combo the other hard; Roy's recovery isn't great but he has excellent killing power and can challenge Mewtwo's range. On a small stage Roy has an advantage, but on a mid-sized stage Mewtwo should have it even, if not in his favor.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I think it it fairly even at low-mid levels. It may even be in roy's favor. However, Mewtwo has the advantage at higher levels because of his sheer number of options. That being said, Roy/marth are some of the better anti-mewtwo characters, but mewtwo doesn't actually have many bad matchups, if any.
:link2::snake::sonic::metaknight::lucas::diddy::squirtle::toonlink::pikachu2: all give Mewtwo trouble. Especially the first 6.

Would include :lucario: there too (because Lucario is seriously untapped, this character is very easily top tier) but Mewtwo combos him hard. Then again Lucario's recovery is nearly unedgegardable. Even Marth mains say its difficult to edgeguard him.

Anyway, Mewtwo Roy is like 55:45 Mewtwo's favor. Roy has mega range (his forward tilt outranges Mewtwo's longest ranged move, forward smash), can KO Mewtwo as early as 50 on some stages, and is pretty fast as well. The moves he has to counter Teleport approaches also happen to be decent combo starters as well. His up tilt is a great anti air and can start juggles. His nair hits on both sides and is a solid punish option. Forward air can combo well. Up air juggles nicely.

In the Marth MU, Mewtwo can go in on Marth as hard as he can and not worry about spacing (which is why I think the :mewtwopm:vs.:marth: MU is 65:35 Mewtwo's favor). But Mewtwo can't go in as hard when fighting Roy. Roy WANTS you to close in the space, this gives him a plethora of KO options. The main problem is, many of Mewtwo's reliable KO options are all close range, like his forward air, and throws. Mewtwo is forced to play a spacing game when fighting Roy, something he doesn't have to worry about when fighting Marth.

Last edited:

SamSun

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-8695-2370
I think Mewtwo beats anyone that he can successfully camp.

Roy gets ****ed by playing campy, same with Lucas imo, it's really easy to out-camp a Lucas.
Also Lucario doesn't have an approach, really. so he gets the same treatment.

I spent a lot of time getting combo'd to death by Lucario before I realized that you can just hard camp him and then combo him when he commits to something. (3 stocked iPunchKids) c:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I think Mewtwo beats anyone that he can successfully camp.

Roy gets ****ed by playing campy, same with Lucas imo, it's really easy to out-camp a Lucas.
Also Lucario doesn't have an approach, really. so he gets the same treatment.

I spent a lot of time getting combo'd to death by Lucario before I realized that you can just hard camp him and then combo him when he commits to something. (3 stocked iPunchKids) c:
I see you. Jacking Emukiller's hit and run style. Shame. JK

That Lucas must be dumb. If you're camping with Shadow Ball, he should just sit there and PSI Magnet.

As for iPunchKids, well good job I guess. I don't have much Lucario experience so I can't say anything.

SamSun

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-8695-2370
If he magnets, I get a teleport nair, I think.. kinda the same as fox trying to reflect shadow ball.

And yeah, basically. I wanna be the campiest Mewtwo. dat brawl background.

Top Bottom