• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would it be too cruel irl if everyone was given magic powers to know you stole from a shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Or committed any form of theft such as a mugging or burglarizing a house

They would always add all caps THIEF when addressing you by name and the only way to remove it is to turn yourself into the police

such as “hello <your name> THIEF, how’s your day been going”?

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Or committed any form of theft such as a mugging or burglarizing a house

They would always add all caps THIEF when addressing you by name and the only way to remove it is to turn yourself into the police

such as “hello <your name> THIEF, how’s your day been going”?
Well, if this actually happened, the next time you enter the shop, the shopkeeper would fire a beam of electricity at you that would kill you instantly, implied to be fashioned from their pure, unadulterated rage. :yeahboi:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I know this is a reference to a Zelda game and probably not intended seriously as your other posts, but your obsession with comically exaggerated retribution is getting extremely disturbing.

Pro tip: Catharsis helps nobody. The key to stopping crime and misdeeds is with empathy and welcomeness. Judgement and punishment makes people hide, not stop, and once the karmic thrill wears off everyone is in a worse place than before. You may not want to co-operate with or try to understand a murderer or burglar, but it is the only viable method of actually stopping immoral actions for good rather than either having them cloaked in increasing layers of shadow that will leave more and more people at risk, or forcing someone to live a sad and painful life behind bars while the world cheers.

(sorry for the sudden serious post, this is just a subject matter that's extremely important to me)

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I know this is a reference to a Zelda game and probably not intended seriously as your other posts, but your obsession with comically exaggerated retribution is getting extremely disturbing.
I apologise. Purely for the record, I'd like to state here that I'm not planning anything rash or the like, there's no point in doing anything like that.

Also just to make sure this post is related, I'd personally say it's somewhat limited, in practice. Like, say you accidentally forgot you had a pencil in your pocket when you were 7 and forgot to bring it back. Would it be reasonable for you to be sentenced to life in prison when you're like, 30-something, because you happen to be on the same street of a bank during a bank robbery with a giant label saying "THIEF!" over your head? I'd personally say no.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236

Pro tip: Catharsis helps nobody. The key to stopping crime and misdeeds is with empathy and welcomeness. Judgement and punishment makes people hide, not stop, and once the karmic thrill wears off everyone is in a worse place than before. You may not want to co-operate with or try to understand a murderer or burglar, but it is the only viable method of actually stopping immoral actions for good rather than either having them cloaked in increasing layers of shadow that will leave more and more people at risk, or forcing someone to live a sad and painful life behind bars while the world cheers.

(sorry for the sudden serious post, this is just a subject matter that's extremely important to me)
Yea it’s getting out of hand. Like you said in another one of your threads, he seems obsessed with legally killing people and not actually dealing with the real issues at hand, or at least addressing them. Like… how is he not banned?!?!?!?

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Inappropriate
Catharsis helps nobody. The key to stopping crime and misdeeds is with empathy and welcomeness. Judgement and punishment makes people hide, not stop, and once the karmic thrill wears off everyone is in a worse place than before. You may not want to co-operate with or try to understand a murderer or burglar, but it is the only viable method of actually stopping immoral actions for good rather than either having them cloaked in increasing layers of shadow that will leave more and more people at risk, or forcing someone to live a sad and painful life behind bars while the world cheers.
i’m always open to helping people instead of punishing them if it makes them change their behavior, but I always have the hutch that many people are commiting crimes and doing harmful thing such as smoking and drug abuse because they are evil and malicious, and will continue to do misdeeds and crimes after you offer help because they like this lifestyle. and as a result should be punished. Also, maybe automatically being known as a THIEF willmake you want to change yourself, while getting away with stealing will want to make you steal more

we should never force people to die especially if it makes them murder more because they have nothing to lose at that point. But they should learn things the hard way instead of us being kind to them. For all you know, they could be continuing this behaviour because you continue being kind to them but will stop once you give them a wake up call.

If you’re not going to change your behavior, or treat people the way you want to be treated, why should we keep on treating you nicely?

in the Serious Discussion board about punishment and death
Yea it’s getting out of hand. Like you said in another one of your threads, he seems obsessed with legally killing people and not actually dealing with the real issues at hand, or at least addressing them. Like… how is he not banned?!?!?!?
the aggressive panhandling one, I read lots of stories of beggars who get aggressive because they like this lifestyle. It always feels wrong to me that we are killing them but I felt like sending them to jail i
The man who wanted to commit suicide and two animals were shot dead to save his life, I wanted to know why should we always prioritize a human’s life over an animal’s life instead of it being case by case, especially considering that we kill animals for food, clothing
The smoking one, I’m always in favor of helping you get off your addictions but like aggressive begging, I don’t want you to be insincere when you say you will stop and judging by the actions of many people I observed, it doesn’t sound like they want to stop.

Last edited:

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you are less altruistic than you think. Why don't you want to pause to wonder how these people got into this situation, or even why they continue their life of vice? You would rather blankly claim they are evil, so I ask you this: do you think these people are born evil? And if people can be born evil, what have you done to show you haven't been? Your desire to punish those worse off because you don't think they are trying hard enough doesn't seem very good to me.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
i’m always open to helping people instead of punishing them if it makes them change their behavior, but I always have the hutch that many people are commiting crimes and doing harmful thing such as smoking and drug abuse because they are evil and malicious, and will continue to do misdeeds and crimes after you offer help because they like this lifestyle. and as a result should be punished. Also, maybe automatically being known as a THIEF willmake you want to change yourself, while getting away with stealing will want to make you steal more
If people are born evil, doesn't that just make punishment and retribution morally worse? Punishing someone for something basically out of their hands? Shaming people doesn't make people want to change what they're being shamed for, that's extremely basic psychology. If you shame someone the takeaway won't be "oh, i was in the wrong all this time!", it will be "y'all just mean" - and that assesment is, franky, right.

we should never force people to die especially if it makes them murder more because they have nothing to lose at that point. But they should learn things the hard way instead of us being kind to them. For all you know, they could be continuing this behaviour because you continue being kind to them but will stop once you give them a wake up call.
That's not how it works, treating people with hostility makes them show hostility back and treating people with respect makes them show respect. I'd recommend looking up videos of the Halden prison in Norway. Countries that switch to more constructive and social methods of dealing with crime consistently have crime rates drop.

If you’re not going to change your behavior, why should we keep on treating you the way you want to be treated?
If there's not even as much as a misguided attempt to help rehabilitate people, why even punish? All you do then is spread misery for the sake of schadenfruedian kicks, using an excuse of "karma" to cover your back.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Maybe you are less altruistic than you think. Why don't you want to pause to wonder how these people got into this situation, or even why they continue their life of vice? You would rather blankly claim they are evil, so I ask you this: do you think these people are born evil? And if people can be born evil, what have you done to show you haven't been? Your desire to punish those worse off because you don't think they are trying hard enough doesn't seem very good to me.
Often people steal because they are poor, but sometimes they are lazy and just want more because they are entitled. I would not automatically dismiss those people as evil either (same goes for smokers and drug addicts) but I don’t think being kind to themwould make them change themselves.

given the number of thieves that got away with stealing, I thought being labeled as one until you turn yourself in would make the majority of thieves turn themselves in and later on want to improve their lives, but getting away with stealing would want to make you steal more.

If you think I am quick to judge people as “evil”, it often depends on what is happening. Like stealing food would make me think of you as someone who should be given help more as food is a required part of life. But if you steal a form of entertainment such as a video game console, I wouldn’t automatically dismiss you as “evil” either but I would certainly dismiss you as selfish and someone who should be punished (although I would never think of murdering you).

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
If people are born evil, doesn't that just make punishment and retribution morally worse? Punishing someone for something basically out of their hands? Shaming people doesn't make people want to change what they're being shamed for, that's extremely basic psychology. If you shame someone the takeaway won't be "oh, i was in the wrong all this time!", it will be "y'all just mean" - and that assesment is, franky, right.
I associate evil as reasoning behind motive more like "I know this is wrong but I still want to do it because tihs is how I am" but someone who was never taught right from wrong wouldn't be considered an evil person.

Generally anyone who commits a crime or wants to do destructive behavior such as smoking or drug abuse wouldn't automatically be considered evil by me but I thought bring kind to them would likely not make them want to change

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
perhaps steal something from a store, especially if it’s not something you need and see how people react
i have. they have tried to gun me down but i'm quicker on the draw. i deliver righteousness unto them and the free smores poptarts unto my belly. also i don't smoke but why does it matter to you if someone is just sitting at home going blunt mode

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
i have. they have tried to gun me down but i'm quicker on the draw. i deliver righteousness unto them and the free smores poptarts unto my belly. also i don't smoke but why does it matter to you if someone is just sitting at home going blunt mode
i thought it would be a waste to help you if you refuse to quit smoking

also, i wager everyone would argue stealing is never justifiable

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
i thought it would be a waste to help you if you refuse to quit smoking

also, i wager everyone would argue stealing is never justifiable
why do they need to quit smoking? mind your own business

also there are legitimately many justifiable cases for stealing. baby food, diapers (for babies), bread for you and your cool monkey that wears a vest and a fez. or even just life saving medicine

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
People actively give themselves cancer and other diseases just cause they are evil? Yea ok, sure.
they don’t plan to give themselves cancer and whatnot, but they do plan to abuse the healthcare system and as a result it’s a waste of tax money to help them

why do they need to quit smoking? mind your own business

also there are legitimately many justifiable cases for stealing. baby food, diapers (for babies), bread for you and your cool monkey that wears a vest and a fez. or even just life saving medicine
Why waste tax money on people who refuse to quit smoking and they want to abuse the healthcare system?

Everything you listed indicated that we should help people who steal these objects more than punish them, but it doesn’t change the fact that stealing is still wrong and cannot be justified whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom