• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would "click right stick for N-air" be a good control option for Switch controllers?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Or would that be too unfair to Gamecube controllers? I know that PowerA's GCN-style controllers are decent, but I know that's not a perfect solution.

Even still, would easy advancing N-airs like that be harmful to balance?

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Honestly, as much as loved the Gamecube controller, its button scheme has been a bane on the evolution of the fighting parts of the series, so I say let the standard Switch controller scheme take priority here.

In terms of the idea itself though... is aight. :p

Quillion

Smash Hero
Honestly, as much as loved the Gamecube controller, its button scheme has been a bane on the evolution of the fighting parts of the series, so I say let the standard Switch controller scheme take priority here.
That's pretty harsh. The only fundamental difference between PowerA's GCN-style controllers and the old GCN controller is clickable sticks and an extra shoulder bumper.

Is there more that you think the Gamecube controller is holding us back from?

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
That's pretty harsh. The only fundamental difference between PowerA's GCN-style controllers and the old GCN controller is clickable sticks and an extra shoulder bumper.

Is there more that you think the Gamecube controller is holding us back from?
Well, maybe it's a bit harsh, but having four shoulder buttons instead of three can really help. Also, Switch controllers' diamond formation of face buttons makes multi-button combo shortcuts a no brainer compared to the Gamecube's four face buttons' formation.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Well, maybe it's a bit harsh, but having four shoulder buttons instead of three can really help. Also, Switch controllers' diamond formation of face buttons makes multi-button combo shortcuts a no brainer compared to the Gamecube's four face buttons' formation.
What do you mean by multi-button combo shortcuts? Do you mean like the shorthop macro?

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
What do you mean by multi-button combo shortcuts? Do you mean like the shorthop macro?
Yes. You try pressing both X and Y on a Gamecube controller consistently. Though honestly, the two best multi button combos are B and Y and X and A on the Switch controller.

But again, look at a Gamecube controller for those same button combos and you'll see the logistical problems immediately. Heck, even A and B doesn't work well because they are different sizes AND are angled in the opposite direction of your thumb.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yes. You try pressing both X and Y on a Gamecube controller consistently. Though honestly, the two best multi button combos are B and Y and X and A on the Switch controller.

But again, look at a Gamecube controller for those same button combos and you'll see the logistical problems immediately. Heck, even A and B doesn't work well because they are different sizes AND are angled in the opposite direction of your thumb.
What kind of mechanics could Y+B accomplish? A lot of people think the short-hop macro interferes with doing aerials normally.

The only thing I can think of is waveshining, and I would rather that be turned into a shoulder button mechanic universal to everyone.

famous_box

Smash Rookie
Right stick click is not a good option. You're more likely to tilt the stick while pushing it down

Quillion

Smash Hero
Right stick click is not a good option. You're more likely to tilt the stick while pushing it down
Trust me, if people have learned how to waveshine, they'll learn how to find an optimum right stick click method.

Top Bottom