• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would anyone actually mind if Red was in the background?

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
I'm something of a completist when it comes to game design. If there is a way for a game I'm working on to have all of something or to tackle a goal entirely, I'll do that. The way I see P:M right now, only one character from Melee (Pichu) and one character from Brawl (Red) is missing.

While I don't need to start yet another war about Pichu, I do think it would be a nice idea if Red was included as a background element when playing Charizard. This may prove too difficult to reimplement as P:M has added and otherwise modified stages, but if not, I would like to see it done.

I know some people, myself included, initially liked Solo Charizard mostly because of the lack of stamina, elemental weakness, and switching that came with being solo. But I would like to know: would you really care if Red came back?

Raijinken

Smash Master
It'd be a cool touch. If they really wanted, they could also maybe make Red part of the Mons' final smashes, or into a new Assist Trophy (if they get around to things like that).

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
I would personally prefer not to have him in the background. Although I wouldn't mind having him in the background if say, you held R when choosing him or something. That said I would not care for a pokemon trainer where the characters can actually switch.

Last edited:

MoRkY

Smash Rookie
I still think Red should be a fighter where each of his moves uses low-level pokemon. Example: Down-smash has a Rattata jump out and hyperfang.

Ace55

Smash Lord
No, for far too long has Red forced Charizard to do his bidding, making Charizard fight other innocent creatures solely for the glory of his controller and the entertainment of the Pokemon community. From now on Charizard is free to choose his own path (as long as that path involves needlessly fighting other combatants for the glory of his controller and the entertainment of the Smash community).

TheTTimeLives

Smash Cadet
I didn't think about it, but I would actually be down to have Red in background as a special button select (similar to how you can choose Giga Bowser instead of Bowser ... but totally not broken.)

At the very least, it wouldn't hurt to give players the option I don't think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom