• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Worthy Opponents Indeed!" - Match-up Q&A Thread

Cherpumple

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cherpumple
Sorry if I came off as a bit aggressive.

You can sit at long distance and charge your thunder tome to try and bait her to use Farore's Wind. Of course, if you fully charge it then you'll have Thoron and she'll have to choose between three options, Farore's Wind, pre-emptively using Neutral B, and approaching you to take stage control. You can react appropriately from that position.

As for short hop LFairs and aerials, simply land and wait to see her option of choice. An aggresive option (dash attack or grab) can be beaten by attacking, you can wait out Farore's Wind, and you can get a defensive reaction to your short hop approaches for potential reads and conditioning later on.

I haven't played against any skilled Zeldas like you have, but I've had my fair share of problematic match ups like Link and Toon Link, (at the tournament level) and I've overcome Link but Toon Link is still one of my issues. I hope I helped out with Zelda at least a little bit.
I really appreciate the help! I haven't thought of charging Thoron for stage pressure nor have I really mixed up my short hops. I will definitely be trying these out next time I play. I wish you luck with overcoming your Toon Link issue, he can be a real pain.

Emmington

Smash Cadet
Hey, I'm lookng for some advice with my worst matchups Corrin and Cloud. With Corrin, I can't beat their airgame's range. If Corrin stays on the ground, I'm normally fine because Elwind, but if they jump after me, they always hit me with their Nair.
With Cloud, his speed keeps me from being able to reliably land a blow.
I think a lot of my problems are probably with my terrible reflexes, but if anyone has any other advice, that would be great!

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I'm sure this has been asked before but I didn't see an FAQ on the first post. What exactly is the set up for Checkmate? I'm aware it's dthrow uair and I believe there's a thread that shows all the percents for it on all characters (possibly not factoring in rage) but I'm wondering how frame tight it is and what set of jump inputs are used. Is it just dthrow sh uair or is it a full hop or a short hop double jump or a full hop double jump? Also, would testing it on level 9 AI be a good idea? They generally don't DI perfectly but they do air dodge anything that isn't true so theoretically I could at least find out if I'm doing it too slow with such a method.

Nah

Smash Champion
I'm sure this has been asked before but I didn't see an FAQ on the first post. What exactly is the set up for Checkmate? I'm aware it's dthrow uair and I believe there's a thread that shows all the percents for it on all characters (possibly not factoring in rage) but I'm wondering how frame tight it is and what set of jump inputs are used. Is it just dthrow sh uair or is it a full hop or a short hop double jump or a full hop double jump? Also, would testing it on level 9 AI be a good idea? They generally don't DI perfectly but they do air dodge anything that isn't true so theoretically I could at least find out if I'm doing it too slow with such a method.
It varies between characters, rage, and percent. Fastfaller lightweights like Sheik and Fox you usually don't need to do more that a SH to hit them and it's not terribly frame tight, while the heavier and/or floatier the character is the more of a jump you have to do (though I don't remember ever needing to do more than a SH double jump) and the more frame tight it is. Charizard and Samus for example are really frame tight. Bowser it's not really even true on at all.

That's how I remember it anyway, I haven't touched this game in months and when I was testing Dthrow stuff I did little on Checkmate compared to other Dthrow follow-ups. I don't know if level 9 AI are really a good testing method, but testing/labbing anything in this game is a pain in the ass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom