• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Worthy Opponents Indeed!" - Match-up Q&A Thread

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247

(So many characters!)​

Alright, so it's about time we start to collect information on match-ups and how Robin handles them. Who to watch out for, who we do well against, etc.

I'm going to just have a bare-bones skeleton here, then we'll work on discussing match-ups one at a time in an organized fashion.

:4bowser:
:4bowserjr:
:4falcon:
:4charizard:
:4darkpit:
:4dedede:
:4diddy:
:4dk:
:4drmario:
:4duckhunt:
:4falco:
:4fox:
:4ganondorf:
:4gaw:
:4greninja:
:4myfriends:
:4jigglypuff:
:4kirby:
:4littlemac:
:4link:
:4lucario:
:4lucina:
:4luigi:
:4mario:
:4marth:
:4megaman:
:4metaknight:
:4miibrawl:
:4miigun:
:4miisword:
:4ness:
:4olimar:
:4palutena:
:4pacman:
:4peach:
:4pikachu:
:4pit:
:4rob:
:4robinm::4robinf:
:rosalina:
:4samus:
:4sheik:
:4shulk: +1 Robin - Long dissection of the match-up Co-Written by @#HBC | Ryker and @ Raziek Raziek
:4sonic:
:4tlink:
:4villager::4villagerf:
:4wario:
:4wiifit::4wiifitm:
:4yoshi:
:4zelda:
:4zss:

For now, feel free to use this as a 'general' match-up discussion area. More structured discussion to come at a later date.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Let's get it out of the way that Little Mac is a tough as nails matchup for Robin.

+Fast and evades most of Robin's projectiles.
+Attacks faster.
+Super armor to plow through weak attacks like Thunder.
+ KO Uppercut

-In the case that he's launched airborne, becomes set up fodder and is easier to deal with once he lands.
-Overeager Macs can be predicted.

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
Let's get it out of the way that Little Mac is a tough as nails matchup for Robin.

+Fast and evades most of Robin's projectiles.
+Attacks faster.
+Super armor to plow through weak attacks like Thunder.
+ KO Uppercut

-In the case that he's launched airborne, becomes set up fodder and is easier to deal with once he lands.
-Overeager Macs can be predicted.
This is true, but Robin needs to space with Arcfire so he can get an attack in(which is going to be hard to do). Technically Mac has a rushdown game, and Macs who already know about their weakness to grabbing will mix-up their rushdown with Pivot Grabs.

FTilt gives Robin a heads up, but even then Mac's Super Armor is a problem. He's also small, so hopping Levin Swords(unless it's bair) are more or less gonna miss unless you're able to get on that level where it'll hit him. Shielding dtilt is also a good strategy to use for reckless Macs, as it'll provide Robin with something to use. Fire Jabs are pretty much advised here, though I'd think that his Wind Jab would come in handy at around 40-50% since it pops up Mac into the air at the end of the combo(depending on input), allowing Robin to gain a slight advantage. Even then, Mac's Edge Guarding Game is ridiculous. He gets near the edge he'll go ham with tilts and smashes and try to keep you off until he KOs you.

As for Robin's Edge Guarding, we all know it's Levin Sword and Elwind. Levin Sword comes in handy for any Side Bs that LM may attempt, but keep in mind the space they have between them(LMs that don't have too much space can punish Levin Sword with their Side B by pressing B at the right time).

Last edited:

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
The other match-up I want to talk about is Greninja:

+High Speed, similar to Sonic so he can apply rushdown
+Water Shurikens for Zoning and Edge Guarding
+Aerial Dtilt Mindgames
+Aqua Jet can push Robin away from the stage to give Greninja the upper hand
+Substitute is about the same as Lucario's Down B
+Levin Sword can't hit Greninja at all on the ground from a hop unless strictly timed
+Can dodge a majority of projectiles like Mac can

-Arcfire prevents *uncharged* Water Shuriken Zoning for a short time, allowing Robin to charge.
-Shadow Sneak is predictable by watching the shadow
-Arcthunder provides a close-range defense

This guy is pretty much Robin's worst nightmare, worse than Little Mac even. His speed is going to kill Robin like Mac does, but Greninjas I've seen tend to roll and Water Shuriken a lot. But for real, should Greninja get in his stuff, Robin's going to have a hard time getting him off. Fire Jabs are gonna be hard to pull off unless you can punish him, and Levin Sword is a definite no unless he's in the air, since we can't hit him accurately enough for it to count. Wind Jabs I'm iffy about because of Down A, which is his Footstool move. He can mindgame with it, and cause quite a bit of havoc, but it's counterable with a well-timed USmash; it's rather recommended to roll out of the way for it though for the punish on his landing lag.

Luckily, Arcfire can prevent uncharged Water Shuriken from zoning Robin to keep him from charging Arcthunder/Thoron for a few seconds. More or less Robin needs to take advantage of Arcthunder in this case, which is applicable to Mac as well. It'll allow him to make some breathing room for recharging, and also do a good bit of damage to Greninja to knock him into the air(provided he doesn't duck under it...). At least Shadow Sneak isn't very good since it's predictable. Though, I've yet to meet a Greninja that can properly use it.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'll get to actually talking about some of the points you bring up later on, but I'm going to go right ahead and say I've yet to find anything that even felt CLOSE to 65-35 or worse.

I'd be careful about throwing around numbers like that, especially this early. You have to remember, 7-3 to most people essentially means 'Super hard counter', which I don't think is even close to the case. 7-3 is a number that got slapped on people who had to deal with 0-death chaingrabs in Brawl.

They are difficult match-ups, to be sure, but I've yet to feel like there's anything worse than 4-6 for Robin. Only exception would be Mac/Sheik/Greninja on Final Destination SPECIFICALLY. That stage makes all of the problems in those match-ups worse.

I will be using my personal ban on Final D 9 times out of 10, I think it's easily one of our worst stages, especially against those 3.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
I fought a pretty good Little Mac player and jotted down some notes for the matchup:

-Your Jab is key. It's fast, it can get him out of your face, and it can beat out a few of his approach options.
-Always charge Thunder. It's frustrating since Mac is always gunning for you, but charge it whenever you can; it'll come in hand when it comes down to KOing him.
-Short hop Arc fire is useful for locking down his movement options at mid range. Mac doesn't really do air, so his only method of approaching you is from the ground.
-He can punish you pretty hard up close, so throwing out unsafe options (such as smashes) is a serious no-no. LS Down smash is somewhat acceptable to cover rolls, but that's it.
-The roll cancel grab is immensely helpful for grab punishing him. It's not the end of the world if you can't do it, but it's really helpful (if you land a backthrow at mid %, you can dish out heavy damage or potentially take out a stock)
-Always chase him down in the air, but be careful Edge-guarding him isn't as easy on practice. He's capable of covering himself with his counter, which propels him forward if activated (and if not, he's at a position where he can grab the ledge) this is why Thunder is useful, since it bypasses it altogether. That said, if you get a good read and land a LS aerial, it's lights out. There are some cases where Nair is more useful at edge-guarding due to its superior speed.

It can be a frustrating matchup, but it's certainly doable. You just have to keep a cool head and play even more patiently than normal.

I'll get to actually talking about some of the points you bring up, but I'm going to go right ahead and say I've yet to find anything that even felt CLOSE to 65-35 or worse.

I'd be careful about throwing around numbers like that, especially this early. You have to remember, 7-3 to most people essentially means 'Super hard counter', which I don't think is even close to the case.

They are difficult match-ups, to be sure, but I've yet to feel like there's anything worse than 4-6 for Robin. Only exception would be Mac/Sheik/Greninja on Final Destination SPECIFICALLY. That stage makes all of the problems in those match-ups worse.

I will be using my personal ban on Final D 9 times out of 10, I think it's easily one of our worst stages, especially against those 3.
I feel the same way. There's always a path to victory with Robin, you just have to be patient and find it.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Is there a particular order we're doing these in? I think we should find a different order than alphabetical, since a lot of other character threads will be doing that and we'd have to sift through a wave of ambassadors from those other characters to get decent analysis and matchup advice. We'd be better off going off some kind of different order. Maybe we should start with the characters who've been the most popular in tournaments lately, to help Robin players gain some ground on them?

Also, I could put together roster entries for each character. You know, those paragraph-long descriptions all the Awakening characters have in that menu you get to from the Barracks? It'd be a way to add our own little touch to matchup talk.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
Guys and for toon link and link?
Think Robin have some problem

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
I'll get to actually talking about some of the points you bring up later on, but I'm going to go right ahead and say I've yet to find anything that even felt CLOSE to 65-35 or worse.

I'd be careful about throwing around numbers like that, especially this early. You have to remember, 7-3 to most people essentially means 'Super hard counter', which I don't think is even close to the case. 7-3 is a number that got slapped on people who had to deal with 0-death chaingrabs in Brawl.

Sorry about that. I'll keep that in mind for future reference. I'll keep it to just information and be careful about numbers to not cause trouble.

Also @ Seleir Seleir here's what I feel on Toon Link:

+Can be an annoyance due to speed, which is faster than normal Link
+Has zoning projectiles to stop Thoron Charge
+Fast Attacks
+Can be a little hard to hit with Levin Sword hops unless in the air

-Can be zoned out using Arcfire to give time to charge Thoron
-Bombs can be used against him like any other projectile either through shielding or catching
-Air Dtil(which I see A LOT) is punishable on landing
-Arcthunder gives Robin a close-range defense

Last edited:

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
Ty so much, you are so good man. Think you could do solo a table with All matchups of Robin. I hope that you would do that.

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
ZSS is my personal worst match up thus far. Any advice for her?
Here's my take on ZSS:

+Fast, though not as fast as Sonic
+Has a dodge tech that can ground Robin and even feint attack
+Stun Blaster can cause stun and can be used for Zoning Robin
+Has powerful combos, and also a ledge grab with her whip
+Long range grabs with the whip can combo into her FAir

-Arcfire zoning can help Robin charge Thoron
-Thoron cancels Stun Blaster and goes through
-Levin Sword hops can be used for close-range zoning due to her height

She's a bit hard to fight, but once you get used to her playstyle she can be a bit easier for Robin to handle. Robin needs to be aware of the stun blaster, though not many ZSSes use Neutral B. Her grab can also be a bit troublesome, as she can do DThrow>FAir for good damage. What's more is that she's fast, making Robin only able to charge to Elthunder before she gets in Levin Sword range. Robin also needs to be wary of her feint, which can cause problems if he's not watching. If she footstools him at high %, he's going to get gone due to the grounding he took. She can even feint into attacks, though that's not much of a problem if you're watching.

The good thing, however, is that the Levin Sword can hit her from a hop. This gives Robin a slight advantage, as it can help against zoning games with the stun blaster. Thoron is also going to be your best friend here, considering she's not one of those people who can reflect it. Robin's Fire Jab is also a staple against many fast characters so that he can get some free space to charge Thoron. If she does her derp dive, she can be punished by Levin Sword if you're fast enough.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Heh, the Diddy Kong matchup looks brutal.

Possibly worse than Little Mac? There seems to be a recurring pattern for problematic characters for Robin; agile characters with quick normals that pressure Robin are troublesome (ZSS, Diddy, Little Mac). They can avoid the mid range wall of projectiles and cut straight until close quarters combat (which Robin, admittedly doesn't excel at). We'll have to come up with some strats to mitigate those matchups.

Last edited:

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
Heh, the Diddy Kong matchup looks brutal.

Possibly worse than Little Mac? There seems to be a recurring pattern for problematic characters for Robin; agile characters with quick normals that pressure Robin are troublesome (ZSS, Diddy, Little Mac). They can avoid the mid range wall of projectiles and cut straight until close quarters combat (which Robin, admittedly doesn't excel at). We'll have to come up with some strats to mitigate those matchups.
Kinda looks like Diddy Kong is gonna **** Robin with those tilts and grab combos. I mean, the damage is ridiculous. I haven't even played Diddy with Robin and it looks horrifying for him. Not even Arcfire can save him because of the fast speed the monkey has. But yeah, there is a recurring problem with characters that move fast. I'm glad that they took out the two bananas, at least. No more 0-death syndrome. Only thing I find weird is how Diddy can just do at least 30% out of a grab combo. Might go take a look at the Diddy board to see if there are any %s done...

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Seems like it'd be good for us to also learn a character who's good against those superfast rushdown types, to pull out as a counterpick if we can't tip the scales on our own.

...Who does counter them, anyway? Bowser?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Okay, so some of my observations on that vs. Diddy Kong pair of games:

Foreword: Don't jump to conclusions on a match-up based on a single set. Pls.
Additional Disclaimer: I have very little experience with a good Diddy yet, so this is mainly speculation/things I noticed.

- First and foremost, I don't think Battlefield was at ALL a good stage to have to play that match-up on. How does Robin get past 'Nana in front, Diddy under platform'? Has very little in the way of direct offensive approach.
- Robin's main problem in this match-up is getting back down to the ground and getting established. If you watch the first match, most of Nairo's time was spent trying to get back between the platforms so he could even start to PLAY again.
- I didn't see much, if ANY, Nair usage by Nairo. Most of his ground game was Arcfire and what LOOKED like messing up RCGrab.
- Though he did get some follow-ups out of it, I don't know if regular Arcfire will cut it in this match-up. Robin NEEDS to get Diddy in the air, and on stages that aren't BF, I would take Fire Wall as a more reliable means of popping Diddy off the ground.
- Similarly, Speed Thunder might be worth exploring in this match-up to pester Diddy with, as Nairo barely ended up using Thunder at all.

Just my 0.02. I'd want to see some more extended gameplay before I jump to the conclusion 'Diddy bodies Robin' based on a whopping 2 games of gameplay.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
Okay, so some of my observations on that vs. Diddy Kong pair of games:

Foreword: Don't jump to conclusions on a match-up based on a single set. Pls.
Additional Disclaimer: I have very little experience with a good Diddy yet, so this is mainly speculation/things I noticed.

- First and foremost, I don't think Battlefield was at ALL a good stage to have to play that match-up on. How does Robin get past 'Nana in front, Diddy under platform'? Has very little in the way of direct offensive approach.
- Robin's main problem in this match-up is getting back down to the ground and getting established. If you watch the first match, most of Nairo's time was spent trying to get back between the platforms so he could even start to PLAY again.
- I didn't see much, if ANY, Nair usage by Nairo. Most of his ground game was Arcfire and what LOOKED like messing up RCGrab.
- Though he did get some follow-ups out of it, I don't know if regular Arcfire will cut it in this match-up. Robin NEEDS to get Diddy in the air, and on stages that aren't BF, I would take Fire Wall as a more reliable means of popping Diddy off the ground.
- Similarly, Speed Thunder might be worth exploring in this match-up to pester Diddy with, as Nairo barely ended up using Thunder at all.

Just my 0.02. I'd want to see some more extended gameplay before I jump to the conclusion 'Diddy bodies Robin' based on a whopping 2 games of gameplay.
Yeah agree with you. It's just the stage that change everything. A counter is just FD or Omega stage, but if diddy chose BF or Yoshi island is insane to go.
So i agree with you

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Well, you certainly have a point there, though, I never explicitly stated that Diddy bodies Robin, just that it might be a problematic matchup.

Though i'm wondering why brought up custom moves? Aren't those banned in most tournaments?

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
Well, you certainly have a point there, though, I never explicitly stated that Diddy bodies Robin, just that it might be a problematic matchup.

Though i'm wondering why brought up custom moves? Aren't those banned in most tournaments?
Think some custom moves are banned but i agree to be able to use in the tournamentes. They give some good changes to the main and try ti Fight to All the bad matchups that Robin has

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
...Who does counter them, anyway? Bowser?
Bowser, in my experience, can be zoned out with little difficulty. The problem is that sometimes they can catch you off guard with Bowsercides and super armor.

Here's my personal rundown for the Robin - Bowser MU:

-Punish predicted Bowser Bombs with your sword.
-Thoron and Arcthunder are your best neutral B charges to use. Thoron especially because he's a large target.
-Nosferatu is slightly more reliable due to said size.
-Arcfire should be used to combo him and punish Bowser Bombs.
-Beware of surprise Bowsercides when charging Thunder. Stay away from edges.

Debate on these points is welcome.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247

Usually not, as far as I have seen.

At the very least, they were legal at the tournament in question (KTAR X)

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Bowser, in my experience, can be zoned out with little difficulty. The problem is that sometimes they can catch you off guard with Bowsercides and super armor.

Here's my personal rundown for the Robin - Bowser MU:

-Punish predicted Bowser Bombs with your sword.
-Thoron and Arcthunder are your best neutral B charges to use. Thoron especially because he's a large target.
-Nosferatu is slightly more reliable due to said size.
-Arcfire should be used to combo him and punish Bowser Bombs.
-Beware of surprise Bowsercides when charging Thunder. Stay away from edges.

Debate on these points is welcome.
Valid analysis, but...that wasn't what I was asking. :ohwell:

What I was wondering is what characters seem to counter the character types that give Robin trouble.

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
Ok, so I've been running around fighting Shulks and apparently this guy can give Robin problems in a multitude of ways.

+Monado Arts Buster and Smash can increase Robin's damage and knock him out easier than other smashes
+Vision can ignore Shields
+All of Shulk's Air Attacks have longer reach than the Levin Sword
+Air Slash limits Robin's edge guarding game to an extent

-Most of Shulk's ground smashes are very punishable

This guy's probably hard for Robin to even hurt, mainly because of Vision mindgames and his long reach with his air attacks, like nair and fair. Thoron catches are useful, but Arcthunder may be better due to the range he can close quickly with Speed. The main problem I have with him is that he likes to get in and use dtilt-> fair, which can hurt for a good bit if he's using Buster. He can even juggle Robin with UTilt, up to 40% or so. It really is hard to actually hurt him due to the Vision and also the fact that Levin Sword can't do **** against him in the air half the time because of nair and fair.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I actually think Robin beats Shulk pretty hard. Nair doesn't actually really keep Robin out in practice. I have had little trouble rolling inside it's hitbox (after the upswing finishes) and punishing him inside.

Neither Fair or Nair defend him well from Robin in an edge-guard situation because of the angle Fair swings in from. Nair covers a small area until it actually starts up, and it covers very little below him. Fair starts from above and swings down, so cleanly loses unless done in advance.

Shills only real advantage is his range. He can't really go air-to -air with Robin, so once you're past his Nair, his only safe option is jab.

I have some gameplay of this that I'll try to get uploaded.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Usually not, as far as I have seen.

At the very least, they were legal at the tournament in question (KTAR X)
Interesting. That's definitely interesting! This bodes well for Robin players; not only does this allow him to tweak his skillset significantly, but he gains access to Thoron+, which is straight up ludicrous.

I'll be eager to see his performance in custom tournaments.

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
I actually think Robin beats Shulk pretty hard. Nair doesn't actually really keep Robin out in practice. I have had little trouble rolling inside it's hitbox (after the upswing finishes) and punishing him inside.

Neither Fair or Nair defend him well from Robin in an edge-guard situation because of the angle Fair swings in from. Nair covers a small area until it actually starts up, and it covers very little below him. Fair starts from above and swings down, so cleanly loses unless done in advance.

Shills only real advantage is his range. He can't really go air-to -air with Robin, so once you're past his Nair, his only safe option is jab.

I have some gameplay of this that I'll try to get uploaded.
Huh. Most of the time I find the Shulks I face tend to zone out with that. But really, he can't Edge Guard effectively because of Air Slash, where SHulk can with Smash Art on. I mean, more or less he's gonna get off the stage and FAir you so he'd set you up for a FSmash. Back Slash isn't anything to worry about, but Vision again is baiting only. I'm still trying to get used to him using BAir since it's hard for me to tell when.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Shulk also probably has to look out when offstage with his Smash art, since Robin's Levin aerials have pretty high knockback compared to most.

EntropyAA

Smash Rookie
NNID
Metaroo
3DS FC
3411-1156-6504
Let's talk about Mario.

+Fireball approach is quicker and more versatile than any of Robin's projectiles. Short hop fireball will allow Mario to get in your face relatively safely, and fireballs will cancel out everything except thoron (Any maybe arc-thunder?)
+Down-throw up tilt. How this is even in the game is beyond me. Pretty much insta-40~50% depending on your vector input. Think twice before walking into Mario.
+Good cape use will make tomes more tricky to use.
+Mario's excellent aerials (and conversely, Robin's not so good aerials...) make fighting Mario in the air extremely dangerous.

-Mario's weaker recovery may be taken advantage of. I don't suggest following Mario offstage, but a good back-throw near the ledge could be followed up with a spell to bait a cape, which you may be able to follow up with.
-Downtilt is your friend in this matchup. Comes out REALLY quickly and could save you from a grab.

Frankly, I've been switching to other characters whenever I run into a really good Mario. Its just really difficult to deal with an aggressive Mario with Robin's kit at this point for me. I've also noticed that staying in shield is really rough against Mario, especially when many of his aerials allow him to float behind you for a grab. Gonna have to put a lot of thought into this matchup as the meta progresses.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I think Fire Wall is pretty much a MUST against Mario.

He can't cape it in any meaningful way, and it prevents him from just jumping and shooting fireballs.

xOmniSoul

Smash Rookie
Just ran into a really good Greninja. Like, **** on my face good and I've never lost like that in my 200+ games I've already played. An amazing Greninja is extremely tough for Robin, it's either switch to another fighter or lose unfortunately. I'd probably still try Robin into Greninja just to see if there are any options/try to get better at the match up but it's too clear that Greninja will most likely win 80% of the time. It hurts :c

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
Just ran into a really good Greninja. Like, **** on my face good and I've never lost like that in my 200+ games I've already played. An amazing Greninja is extremely tough for Robin, it's either switch to another fighter or lose unfortunately. I'd probably still try Robin into Greninja just to see if there are any options/try to get better at the match up but it's too clear that Greninja will most likely win 80% of the time. It hurts :c
If you can, it'd be nice if you could upload the fight(unless you didn't save the replay). Technically Robin is already at a big disadvantage due to Greninja's speed, along with his height(This means no Levin Sword Aerials unless you're godlike on them). The big problem is he always loves to be in your face, and the only time you'll even Levin Aerial is when he's in the air. Try using your FTilts and DTilts along with Fire Jab to get him off some so you can charge at least Elthunder(and maybe Arcthunder).

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
Guys, Nair gimps/edgeguard is super good on the following characters:

Shulk
C. Falcon
Little Mac
Bowser
Mario
Dr. Mario

I like it because it doesn't waste an LS charge, and can gimp fairly early on the likes of Shulk/Bowser, and comes out decently fast.

It's my go to tool in the Little Mac and Shulk match-ups

xOmniSoul

Smash Rookie
If you can, it'd be nice if you could upload the fight(unless you didn't save the replay). Technically Robin is already at a big disadvantage due to Greninja's speed, along with his height(This means no Levin Sword Aerials unless you're godlike on them). The big problem is he always loves to be in your face, and the only time you'll even Levin Aerial is when he's in the air. Try using your FTilts and DTilts along with Fire Jab to get him off some so you can charge at least Elthunder(and maybe Arcthunder).
I never got into the habit of saving replays, man! I really should have though. maybe if I run into another Greninja like that I'll remember to save it. Thanks for that advice though! I try it out next time.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I dunno if it's a lack of matchup knowledge on my part or what, but god damn is Toon Link a pain. He can set up a wall of arrows and boomerangs and the occasional bomb that makes it hard as hell to use Arcfire to control the stage. If you slip up at all when you're close to him, he can sprint right up to you and land a smash before you can even blink. And if you actually get in on him, he can just run away.

Normally I can figure out how to fight campers, but Toon Link's like some unholy amalgam of Robin's biggest weaknesses! How the hell do I tip the scales against him?

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
I dunno if it's a lack of matchup knowledge on my part or what, but god damn is Toon Link a pain. He can set up a wall of arrows and boomerangs and the occasional bomb that makes it hard as hell to use Arcfire to control the stage. If you slip up at all when you're close to him, he can sprint right up to you and land a smash before you can even blink. And if you actually get in on him, he can just run away.

Normally I can figure out how to fight campers, but Toon Link's like some unholy amalgam of Robin's biggest weaknesses! How the hell do I tip the scales against him?
Toon Link's been a pain in my arse too, but I've tipped the scales more than once against him on several occasions. If you can get Arcfire up you can prevent his Arrow/Boomerang Zoning and have time to charge Thunder. Most TLs I see tend to abuse Down A, as it comes down pretty quick, and that's punishable via a dash attack(unless you're too far). The only thing that should be your problem is his ridiculous air game. Robin's Levin Sword can't come out as fast as Toon Link's air attacks, so you need to be careful on how you approach. Usually I try and use nair if he gets too close, since it comes out pretty fast, then possibly try to Levin Sword followup once there's enough space.

Life

Smash Hero
Thoughts on the Robin-Rosalina matchup? I play Rosalina and Shulk, and got bodied playing the latter in tournament last Friday against a Robin. I know Arcfire can mess up Luma if Rosalina's not careful.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Guys, Nair gimps/edgeguard is super good on the following characters:

Shulk
C. Falcon
Little Mac
Bowser
Mario
Dr. Mario

I like it because it doesn't waste an LS charge, and can gimp fairly early on the likes of Shulk/Bowser, and comes out decently fast.

It's my go to tool in the Little Mac and Shulk match-ups
Robin mains are definitely sleeping on Nair. It's his fast, solid spacing tool and it kicks ass in air to air combat.

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
Robin mains are definitely sleeping on Nair. It's his fast, solid spacing tool and it kicks *** in air to air combat.
It's also good in Robin dittos. If you're over a recovering Robin, that Nair will eat all the distance Elwind gained.

EDIT: Adding a video of Nair gimping a Link. 'Cause it may be relevant when that MU appears.

Last edited:

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
So guys. Fun Fact: You can turn Robin around if you flick the C-Pad in the direction of the ledge on input, before he begins to cast Elwind. This'll help prevent Robin from screwing up and having his back exposed to Shulk or anyone else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom