• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst tournament experience?

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
A few days back I went to a GamePoint hosted Brawl tournament being held at my local library. I sensed something may have been amiss when I read the neutral stages on the flier and Fountain of Dreams was on it.

When I arrived everything seemed to be in order, though. I paid the $15 entry fee and sat down to do some friendlies with a buddy that happened to show up unexpectedly, and saw that not all the characters had been unlocked on that wii. I just brushed it off, thinking that they would get it fixed by the time the tournament started. I was dead wrong.

Turns out, none of the wiis had any of the 'secret' characters unlocked, so the tournament was held using only the standard Brawl characters, including Meta Knight, but no G&W (my main). So here I was, stuck in a tourney against 2 amazing MKs and I can't even use my best character against them. I was forced to use Kirby and Sheik the whole tournament. What's worse is, they changed the rules of the tournament from 3-stock, 5 minutes and 5 neutrals being randomed for every game, to 5 stock no time limit EVERY stage legal...RANDOM for every game. Yes, this includes custom stages and places like New Pork and 75m.

Well I just decided I'd get over it and have my fun while I was here, since it was now ENTIRELY impossible to win without being able to counter a MK on the most awful stages for competitive play. Then, come to find out my first match is against a 10-year-old using a wiimote/chuck that his overbearingly supportive father was keeping a battery for until it was time for our match to start. So my tournament experience started out with a 20 minute 2-game sandbag adventure, ending in me beating him with 2 stocks and at high percentages both games.

It wasn't all bad, of course. I met some pretty cool people, had some pretty fun games, and made it all the way to losers semi's, it just could've been so much better with actual, you know, planning.

Also, I had to leave to start a closing shift at work right after I got knocked out of the tournament, so I didn't even get to see which of my mk-playing friends got 1st and who got 2nd.

Well, you've seen my worst tournament experience to date. Now tell me yours!

(If this has already been done then consider it a rage-rant on my part and kill me.)

POKE40

Smash Lord
I feel your pain as a G&W user
and no snakes?

Daaaaaaayyyuuummm that sucks.
XD

I can't go to tournaments because there is none nearby and insurance is quite expensive to afford to drive a car :(

so my worst is that I can't even go lol

Demacrez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Demacrez
3DS FC
3583-0929-3994
Ah yes, I remember the worst one I've been in. I could name off the GameCrazy one that consisted on opening night for Brawl when they had a SSBM tournament that night. I thought it was gonna be a 1 vs. 1 on neutral stages tournament but I was wrong... it was a 4-way free-for-all on Temple. 3 lives, no time limit, single elimination as the last two moves on. I lost in the first match but that wasn't the worse.

No, the worst one I have ever been in was several years back in my Anime Club's annual SSBM tournament. It was the second season of the tournament and I was the returning champion to defend the title.

Rules were simple: 4-way free-for-all, Temple, 5 lives, single elimination, and no time limit. That's how the other tournament went since we only had an hour, an hour and a half, in the club. Well, noobs and professons alike came to the tournament with the idea of winning. I, for one, came to test my strength and defend my title.

So, tournament started and me maining my main Link... in the last bracket. My first fight was a 3-way free-for-all with me chasing people all over the map. I swear, everyone was acting like a coward and not even coming to me. They would simply just stand at a distance and fire projectiles until you got in close and then: SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH!!!

And this wasn't just in my fights, no, it was in all the fights! In a previous match, all four contestants ran to the four corners of the map and started to throw projectiles at each other. It was an embarassing tournament as I watched the club's president, who was also running the tournament, gloat to everyone how awesome he was even though he was using that strategy.

In one match-up, I was playing against a Fox player who thought he was really good with him. I was expecting pro-like reflexes with Shine Dance and everything. No, I got a guy who ran away, fired his lasers at me, and when I got too close to him he'd just simply use Fox Fire and jetison across the stage only to run away and fire some more. I believe everyone here can share that kind of annoyance at one point in their life.

Well, after beating through all the cowards and reaching the last free-for-all, the club president announced this was the Finals. Now, last year's tournament had a Finals where the last two standing fought in a one on one match but of course seeing as we had a new president at hand... yeah, you get the picture.

So, I had to beat up Mr. Fox Fire again since he made it to the Finals since we were the last two standing in the last match. After beating him again, I went after a spammy Pikachu and killed him off quickly, then I had to defeat a Young Link who had three lives left whilst I had one. Well, I beat the crap out of him and knocked him down to one life with a high precentage count.

And you know what the little hobknocker did? Runs away at a high place, I meant to go for an aerial Up-B but instead did just a normal Up-B and I get smacked with a D-Air that KO's me. I quickly looked towards him and demanded a one on one rematch but he says just as quickly, "That was the Finals, it's over!"

So I got jipped for a proper Finals, he goes around gloating that he beat me (since everyone had a tough time beating me), and he had the gawl enough NOT to take up my later challenges in a one on one match up. To this day I haven't played against but I swear when I do, I will DESTROY HIM FOR BEING THE LITTLE BUGGER HE IS!

kr3wman

Smash Master
Montreal had a PGL brawl tournament.

We went on their forums, posted the rules that the SBR had at the time, they were like 'Sweet, people that know smash' They posted the rules on the site, everything was fine and dandy.

Comes the day of the tournament.

Single Elimination.
Best of 1.

Now this wouldn't have been that much of a problem if they had said beforehand. But they didn't. My match was the first match. I was still bad in those days, I won't john, but I probably could have beaten pretty much everyone that wasn't from the smash community there without breaking a sweat. Anyways, I go random against some kid with his cheering squad made of scrubs (You'll understand later). I get Fox, He uses Kirby. Beats me on last stock after I make somewhat of a comeback. We start our second match, I use G&W, he switches to Link(?) after I say to him I CP Distant Planet. We start the match, I got a 2 stock lead.

'It's best of one'

I throw my controller to the floor. The L button breaks (And also the shoulder button I use) and pretty much everyone think I'm a total nutcase at this point. But thankfully, before my ****fit ended they changed it from Single Elimination to Double Elimination, but still best of one.

ANYWAYS, after that, a lot of random things happened.

Some guy that was a complete scrub said he was 'top 3 at Melee in Québec/Canada', but when we started saying the names of the top smashers, he knew none of them. He also said he was so rusty a lvl 9 Fox would 3-stock him.

Some guy from the pgl forum came to the tournament and said he wanted to disprove tiers with his falcon. I jv3 stock him with MK.

Filauc, a Marth player, almost jv4 stocked a kid in a wheelchair. It was hilarious and sad at the same time.

We do FFAs. I pick Ganon and **** everyone by just doing SideB, wait for them to roll behind me and Ftilt.

Swordgard completely ***** everyone not from the community with his ICs. The kid that beat me and his cheering squad then go complain to zeh staffs that what he was doing was illegal and that he caught the criminal on tape. They literally said that. Massive arguments ensues, Swordgard wins in the end. Swordgard gets beaten by a Snake player later on in the tournament, proceeds to **** the kid again in losers.

A good MK player gets beaten by a Wolf who's only attacks were C-stick and Laser. He johned that he was better at Guitar Hero (He went on to win the tournament there).

The second day, I bring Melee so that we can **** people and stuffs. Next to us however was two guys that set up brawl. We go and play with them just for lulz (everyone knows Brawl doubles is like, >>>>>> Brawl singles in terms of random ****/lulz) We play one game, beat them pretty clearly (3-4 stocks left) and then they proceed to complain about team attack being on. We take it out. Still beat them. After that, they go 'It's not the real game.' Then then proceed to choose 'Lightning mode'. Now every thing is pretty much random bull**** at that point.

We go back to Melee.

I also got gayed in a Smash 64 random tournament where only the finals were FFA (everything leading up to it was 1v1s) and all the other players go Kirby and proceed to 3v1 me as they know I was the best there (not kidding, and I'm pretty bad). After that, the winner of the FFA even came up to me and said he would beat me in a 1v1 (He couldn't even z-cancel, and all of his attacks were fsmashes, not kidding)

There's also the fact that people didn't get as much prize money as they should have, and some people who won money were in the red since the prize was less than the registration fee.

there you go =)

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
My first ever "tournament." It was in my school library after school one day, and it is 2v2. So me and my brother decide we are just gonna go and win this thing easy. This was when we still never went on this site. So I remember I heard about this place before, so I went on here and tried to learn the most I could before the tournament, and I got to a point where I could **** any"thinks they are good but isn't aware of Smashboards" players. Anyways, when the date gets closer, my bro finds out he has a track meet, so now I need a new parter out of nowhere. So I find a friend of mine who doesn't know anything about smashboards or any of that, but he can still beat almost everyone else that is gonna be there.

Anyways, I'm at the tournament, and I decided to play a 1v1 before the tournament started against anyone who thought they were all that, and I destroyed them with Diddy. They were saying how I was the only person to ever win against them or something. At least they didn't john.

So, the actual tournament starts, and they announce the settings of the tournament (they didn't up until now wtf?) It's Final Destination ONLY, 8 minute time matches, team attack off. So I ask why is it time and they say so that we can finish this in time because a stock match could go on forever, and I tell them you can set a time limit for stock matches and they were like "What? No." So I showed them and they told me that since it was already settled how the tournament would be run it would stick.

So me and my friend just blaze through round one and two, and I am happy to at least see there is a loser's bracket.

However, the only way to go to the loser's bracket is if you lose round one...and the winner of the loser's bracket doesn't get anything. So if you win round one, then lose round two you are gone...

Anyways, we don't have a power of 2 amount of people, so there is three teams left, and they announce that one team will get a bye to the finals. So they pulled a name from a hat to decided it, and out of the three, it happens to be the worst team there by FAR.

So now me and my bad friend have to take down 2 "decent" players in a time match. Anyways, I'm not gonna john, but they won, but w/e not like I cared about the tournament much after I found out the settings. Plus I was really bad back then, I could probably take them 2v1 now lol.

So then its the worst team that got the bye vs. them and it is just utter **** that I thought it was pretty funny.

So that was my worst tournament, not near as bad as some of these I'm reading, but it was still pretty bad lol.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
I feel your pain as a G&W user
and no snakes?

Daaaaaaayyyuuummm that sucks.
XD

I can't go to tournaments because there is none nearby and insurance is quite expensive to afford to drive a car :(

so my worst is that I can't even go lol
This. :cry:
Oh well, maybe one day.

TP

Smash Master
My story is much less impressive than any of these: my best controller got stolen.

:034:

BSP

Smash Legend
I haven't had an experience like this, but that no secret people thing is messed up. If I was at that tournament, 1 out of my four mains would be available(mario). I'd be pretty mad.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
hmmm....my badest experience on a tournament was when i got raaaaaaped^^
3 stocked!!!!!!!!!!!

Tadpole Angel

Smash Rookie
Ouch, KirbyIRL, your experience was pretty bad!

The only bad experience i had was at a small melee tournament some friends and I were having. Rules were simple: 1v1 5stock final destination. We invited a bunch of people we sort of knew, and so a number of newcomers came. One boy was quite boastful in that he would only ever play melee one-on-one with sheik on final destination. The tournament progressed, and in the finals it was only myself and this boy. Back in the day, I'd like to say I was pretty decent at Roy. I had blown everyone else away on the way to the finals (almost exclusively Sheiks..). I begin to play agaisnt this boy, and the matches are epic. Long, drawn out and totally even. Finally i lose, and although somewhat dissapointed, was satisfied with the end. After the tournament, we proceeded to have a number of fun matches. I ended up playing the winner in several, and found him to be a ridiculous pushover in any and all stages as any character other than sheik. Bummer. :(

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
My worst tournament experiences were all of them.
I suck at this game.

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
I've only been to one small tournament, 16 people.. I tied for last place... Got to play against Anther though, so it was fun.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
The first tourny ever, the one at gamestop the day before brawl came out..
You had to use only the wii mote and it was on actual tourny mode, I think smashballs were on and it was RANDOM CHARACTERS. 2 Min matches, if you lost the match you were out. I got Bowser, which at the time seemed horrible since I NEVER played him in melee. But it was a little bit okay since he is heavy and it was 2 min matches. That was the worst tourny set up i've been too, but it was sooo much fun, since I didn't know any of that was wrong. lol... How we turn to tourny tards is funny, when we can have so much fun other ways also. But I understand how it's important consurning prizes and rankings posted now-a-days.

My story isn't bad or anywhere near related to FML like the other posts above me.

I attended my first tournament back in 2008. I went against a spammy Metaknight as Toon Link. He beat me the first round since my controller wasn't working properly, but I didn't understand why. I thought I was just nervous, so I cooled down, and played the second match. Just before the MK goes for his first KO, I try to land a grab to see if I can grab him before he hits. What ends up happening is that I jump in the air instead of grabbing. Then it hits me. I didn't put my controller settings! (I have Y set to grab, R set to Jump, and Tap Jump OFF).

I panicked because I didn't understand what was happening, and then I got KO'd. Although I was doing pretty well against the Metaknight (he was a noob), I lost.

4nace

Smash Ace
My very first tournament match in any video game ever was Super Smash Brothers Brawl. It was a doubles match of me and my friend (who was also at his first tournament). It was earlier this year at CoT4 and we happened to go up against this guy called MewtwoKing or something like that and his friend Lee....

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
My worst was the Gamestop tourney at the midnight release. I had no idea how to use the Wiimote Nunchuck, and I had to be Yoshi while my opponent went MK. Not the best of moments...

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
My worst was the Gamestop tourney at the midnight release. I had no idea how to use the Wiimote Nunchuck, and I had to be Yoshi while my opponent went MK. Not the best of moments...

I know exactly how you feel buddy.. Lol.. read my above post. And what sucked is that a guy that had already played smash, (he went to Japan to play it before USA had it) got into the finals and it was for people that had not played the game before. He didn't win tho, haha.
The trophy the winner got was awesome!

day-day

Smash Ace
Me and my cousins made our own team or whatever and we went to our first tourney. All of us were determined to win because the night before we were playing non-stop. I was first to brawl and I think fate hated me the most that day lol I was sonic and my opponent was Toon Link. My wiimote was going in out because I didn't bother to check the batteries plus everyone knows Sonic + swords = one dead hedgehog. I won one cause the guy picked the wrong stage. After that I got wrecked and the wiimote kept going in and out so I just wound up killing myself :ohwell:. My cousins had somewhat better luck but they got whooped too. Plus we had no way of getting home for about 3 hours cause my cousins car was a piece of crap and broke down cause it had no gas (that thing that tells you how much gas you have left was broken). First and worst tourney ever..

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
sigh

i was REALLY sick all 3 days of genesis

i mean, the tournament was great and fun and all

but coughing the whole time really sucked

llamapaste

Smash Journeyman
The first tournament I went to really was terrible. Not all the characters were unlocked so I couldn't use my best character. Plus, we played on stupid stages like Hyrule Temple. I won my first match against this low tier main but then I lost to this half decent Wario in round two. I was disapointed it didn't turn out to be an official tournament with all the official rules and stuff lol.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Ending up at a FFA 4 players, all items on and random stage. Knocked out first on Bridge when the barrel bomb exploded and faired by a Marth. Whoo!

day-day

Smash Ace
Oh, how much I hate that bridge bomb. I did love the time when my brother tried to charge at me and he caught the bomb right in the face. :laugh: Classic.
On topic though I hope the online doubles I'm in doesn't turn out like my first tourney

Top Bottom