• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst Thing about Duck Hunt Dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Either if it is a big issue or if it's just a noticeable annoyance, What's the WORST thing about him?

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
the fact that people are going to keep calling the fighter "duck hunt dog"

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I think the worst thing is how the Wild Gunman were executed, There weak attacks and feel forced. The dog like spawns them with magic, And they operate like robots.

the fact that people are going to keep calling the fighter "duck hunt dog"
Was that really avoidable?

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
He doesn't have the 8-bit laugh, or anything remotely similar to it. The Muttley laugh is funny for about 5 seconds, but it doesn't have the same type of troll power as the original.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
He doesn't have the 8-bit laugh, or anything remotely similar to it. The Muttley laugh is funny for about 5 seconds, but it doesn't have the same type of troll power as the original.
I guess Sakurai doesn't really understand why DHD was a "love to hate" character in the West in the first place. :ohwell:

Artero

Smash Enthousiast
NNID
Artero
Wait, what? I hadn't even checked up on DHD's taunts, seeing as I automatically assumed (and felt it was pretty much guaranteed) he'd have his 8-bit troll-laugh as a taunt. Sad news. :(

And indeed, the Muttley-laugh taunt really doesn't compare..

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Putting in the dogs original laugh will be the very first thing I do if I start mdding smash 4.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why does it matter if they call him Duck Hunt Dog or just Duck Hunt

Duck Hunt is a stupid name anyway

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I think he looks awful in terms of design. Moveset may be alright but... This is a character I didn't want at all and wouldn't have minded seeing be cut before international release even if it just meant one less character.

...You see, this is me being a hypocrite because I'm a guy who always says "You don't have to play a character you don't like so stop complaining"

Edit: My hypocricy has come back to hit me because I really actually enjoy Duck Hunt now.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
It would kinda tick people off to be honest if it was the original, including me.
That's the point. The character is supposed to be annoying, and that laugh is the only reason anyone even wanted him to be playable to begin with. I'd find it highly annoying if he had his original laugh in Smash...and that's why I want him to have it.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I'll have to disagree. The worst thing about him is the fact that they named him Duck Hunt.
As I posted in another thread, the fact is that the Dog has the least amount of attacks of the trio (dog, duck, shooter). Dog only has 4 attacks in total, shooter has like 5 and rest are duck.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
That's like calling Marth, Steve.. It's not his name.
His Name isn't Pokemon Trainer.
His Name isn't Toon Link.
His Name isn't Duck Hunt.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
His name is Duck Hunt because it's not just the dog. The character is composed of the Hunter, Duck, and Dog.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Back to the topic discussion instead of his dumb name.

Last edited:

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Exactly what he said. The only thing that's let me down about Duck Hunt is the lack of the oirginal 8 bit laugh, which is especially weird during his final smash when he's seen in sprite form. If it were at least there it'd be a little more understandable.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
1. I hate his Final Smash. I was hoping it would be similar to Snakes. Like have a bunch of cross hairs aiming at other opponents and shooting at them. Whether you get you control it or not I'd leave up to Sakurai.

2. Not having the 8 bit laugh. Not even for the FS atleast! That's nonsense. Maybe if the "new" laugh was better but it gives him no personality.

3. Don't like the cowboy attacks or their involvement in the FS. Duck Hunt would have been fine without them.

Folt

Smash Ace
As I posted in another thread, the fact is that the Dog has the least amount of attacks of the trio (dog, duck, shooter). Dog only has 4 attacks in total, shooter has like 5 and rest are duck.
Banjo &Kazooie! Nice seeing you again! :p

I don't have anything to complain about in regards to Duck Hunt.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The laugh should be the 8bit laugh. I'm not in love with the gunmen.

I like the other aspects of his design.

Duck Hunt kinda sounds like a vulgar phrase.

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
1) His laugh....looks awful. I miss the original.

2) The gunmen barely do anything and look like those scary carnival robots.

3) Final Smash is as weak as the Light Arrow and makes the victim....spin.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
The fact that people don't realize that he is named in the same manner as the Ice Climbers in the Japanese versions of smash (Being named after the game and not the characters- The Ice Climbers are just 'Ice Climber' in the Japanese version of the Game.)

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The worst thing is people calling them Duck Hunt Dog when the character is name Duck Hunt.

Dan

Smash Lord
They made him look too much like a real dog. The dog from the NES game seems to be bigger and burlier, almost like he could walk around like a human. The half-closed, baked-eye expression isn't cutting it for me either.

Pros: They went really outside of the box with the move set, and it ended up being brilliant. They could've just went with the generic (throwing ducks, biting people and stuff), but they pulled it off nicely.

Last edited:

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
As stated before, the use of the name "Duck Hunt Dog" or the abbreviation "DHD" when referring to the character. I get why people use it since the dog is seen as the primary character, but the actual fighter is Duck Hunt in its entirety. The hunter, the dog, and the duck. Then there's the Hogan's Alley/Wild Gunman throw-ins, but you get the gist, lol.

The dog lacking the 8-bit laugh entirely is also pretty lame. I can understand it not being its taunt, but they could've added it for the Final Smash, or at LEAST the victory animation.

Other than that, I ADORE what Nintendo did with the character. The dog's design is very charming and is essentially the original sprite in 3D form. The animations are also fantastic, I love it. One of my favorite newcomers.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
The dog lacking the 8-bit laugh entirely is also pretty lame. I can understand it not being its taunt, but they could've added it for the Final Smash, or at LEAST the victory animation.
It's his entrance, and one if his taunts, although he's lying on his side when he does it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom