• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst melee character

chrisparx

Smash Rookie
Who is the worst melee character. I really never agreed with the fact that Kirby is the lowest tier, and I always thought Bowser was the worst, and to be honest I think Ness isn't all that bad. Who's the worst in your opinion?

(>´u´)>

Smash Cadet
Well i for one agree that kirby is not the weakest and bowser isnt the best but they all have their own potential with the right player behind them. However for me personally i think it is olimar if he was in melee

Honestly i dont know if you mean smash bros melee or characters that only use melee.

Sorry just ignore my post just saw that i was under smash melee and didn't know when i first posted ,i dont have that one but have seen gameplay.

Last edited:

chrisparx

Smash Rookie
Nah long posts are fine, but melee's really good u should get that game.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
There's not really a definitive worst character and you can check out the various tier list discussion threads for people's arguments. Imo it's Bowser

(>´u´)>

Smash Cadet
Tier list are not always completely agreeable.

People may say that certain characters are bad but from time to time you will come across really skilled players that only use that "bad" fighter just to prove that its not bad at all. If someone puts time into a character they can make lots of wins.

Ex: mr. Game & Watch

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
I don't care what people will say about this but i have believed this since the moment i touched smash, even before knowing that it was played competitively, pichu is the worst character

(>´u´)>

Smash Cadet
Lol I have always failed with pikachu and can understand where you are going. I never really thought about it though.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Imo it's Bowser
;_;

Bowser is in the same boat as Yoshi, where its movement is super hard to master and implement, but there are tons of potential here. And Bowser isn't that bad; he has good (strong and fast) moves, a strong command grab, upB Oos, a good techchase and punish game. But his overall frame data holds him back, with a 8 frame jumpsquat, 6 frame landing lag, somewhat slow aerial speed and ground speed. This doesn't mean Bowser is underwhelmingly slow, his good wavedash distance and upB jank saves him from it. But as soon as you miss a tech holy fudge; an issue that most characters face only in high level play. It's super hard for the new Bowsers to really grasp what to do, if they don't spaghetti all over the place. Players don't even pick him to troll, he's just so hard to play.

To give an idea, WarriorKnight got 49th at Evo 2016, solo Bowser. And he plays old school style too! I actually showed him new techs and he gets better results against some characters. And it's the first time we [Bowser players] manage regrouping so many veteran and new Bowser players. We're just looking for an "Amsa" right now.

As for the worst character I think it's Roy. Roy is easy to play/ pick up, and many players play him. But he's just so bad; he was optimized long ago and it doesn't really go further than that. Also he doesn't get any good results, even if he has more players than most low tiers. I think an optimized tier list would put him down last.

chrisparx

Smash Rookie
I find that Bowser's wavedash is hard to preform simply because I usaually airdodge before the jumpsquat ends.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Pichu is by far the worst waste of space on the roster, a lazier clone than even Roy is to Marth.

Bowser is easily the worst character in the game, all his MUs become unwinnable once you figure his options out.

Game and Watch is the worst defensive character, very easy to tech chase, combo, and shield poke. His rolls are reactable, everything he does is highly telegraphed.

People who say Roy is the worst are pretty clueless about how Melee works. He is a terrible character but he actually has some top tier traits and tools that keep him from being gimmicked, gimped, or camped easily. Basically even with tons of MU knowledge against him not much will change unlike a Bowser or Pichu. He has the speed, grab range, cc dtilt, fsmash, etc to keep even top tiers honest.

Last edited:

xChaos

Smash Cadet
Pichu is nowhere near the worst character in the game lol, he has some of the best movement in the game, and in a game as movement heavy as melee that clearly should count for something.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
roy or bowser. roy doesn't have real combos, he's slow (for reference, his almost everything including run speed is factually slower than marth), he has probably the worst recovery in the game, his edgeguarfdng is poor, he can't beat cc, garbage OoS options, and his mobility really isn't that great. there's more but i don't kniw if i could finish typing about all of roy's problems before another bad FE game is released. bowser should never ever win neutral since he's so slow but it's hard to say he has a tougher time than roy with about anything.

pichu has less problems than roy. same for kirby, mewtwo, and ness. zelda might be as bad but she doesn't seem to be doomed to fail against other floaties so idk.

since i know pichu stuff, pichu's punish game >>>>>>>>>>>>>> roy, bowser, and zelda's punish game

Last edited:

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
Captain Falcon, seriously?
It's a joke about how Hax used to talk about Falcon.

I feel like Zelda in theory should be the worst in a fully optimized meta, but with how unoptimized most Zelda counter play is from lack of experience it's hard to say she should do the worst right now. In current meta I would probably cast my vote for Roy, one of the easiest low tiers to play against between being combo food, having a very hard time dealing with crouch canceling, and most people having a decent idea of how to approach the match up from the popularity of Marth, where as other bottom tier characters like Pichu, Ness, Bowser etc. have unique tech that can still catch people off guard.

Last edited:

GhostM

Phantom
In my opinion I would say Bowser because of his lack of mobility being that his jump squat is 8 frames, longer than the rest of the cast and the rest of the other heavies. His jump taking 8 frames makes using him feel extremely awkward and sluggish, meaning that options like wavedashing and aerial approaches are laggy and slow. SHFFL approaches also feel very sluggish with Bowser.

Almost every character can easily beat Bowser in the neutral game, and Bowsers mobility makes it extremely difficult for him to approach, and follow up with attacks. Bowser’s smash attacks including fsmash and up smash are often ignored because of how slow and laggy they are, which often leaves you open to punishes if the moves miss. Bowser’s only viable moves are grounded UpB OOS, and sometimes dsmash because it starts after 5 frames. Approaching with forward air is also a somewhat decent move, but it only punishes bad approaches. Even then, these moves last too long to allow Bowser to follow up with another attack, especially when he has bad air and grounded mobility.

Bowser’s recovery is also a weak point, since his only options are to recover towards ledge or high in the air. Since his recovery focuses more on horizontal distance than vertical distance, he can easily be edgeguarded and gimped if he tries to recover high or towards ledge. It’s basically the same issues that Donkey Kong has with his recovery.

Top Bottom