• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst Kirby matchups and how to deal with them

pnoid

Smash Cadet
I'm by no means asserting I know what the worst match ups are. I'm going to list some reasons I *think* why the match-ups are bad, so maybe somebody can correct me. I wanted to open a discussion so we can all learn how to beat some of these:

Young link!!:
his nair does a pretty good job of beating nair and fair. Unless you can space a bair it's really hard to challenge.
Approaching from above is just asking for death
Approaching side has been best for me. trying to clash with his boomerang and crouch under arrow. Limited success. I have yet to actually beat a young link in a set.
Footage:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/346455210?t=3h12m30s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUJxxBaXfgU
https://youtu.be/qX5EOoahVqg?t=317

Cloud?:
Too easy for him to start a combo chain. His fast disjoint moves beat aerials. His seemingly lack of landing lag makes it difficult.
Best hope is to get this guy off stage. Good luck

Footage: (admittedly i think performed particularly poorly here):
https://youtu.be/qX5EOoahVqg?t=570

OKAY this next one I really want advice on. I feel like I might have been just bad and he was good. But on reviewing the footage I couldn't find my way around it:

Zelda???:
I have had a really hard time trying to counter phantom. Phantom can stand there all intimidating and ready to pounce, and she can cover your air options with a uair which has a HUGE hitbox. As a mix up i think you can do a diagonal air dodge when she goes for the uair and chase her on the ground.
i don't feel like kirby's combos against her are good enough to make up for the fact that when she's at a distance, it's just soooo hard to get in.
Her disjoint smash, jab, and dash attach don't make her a pushover in short range either

Footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtjOpyecrNY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcKnnQ6yVsM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixN60zfwRX8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snQyjHCJmEw

faithinchaos21

Smash Rookie
As far as young link goes (and so far, all characters I've tested) you can actually eat his arrows, boomerangs and bombs. so that helps for getting in from the side. the bombs though actually hurt you when eaten while the other two don't.

A Stapler

Smash Rookie
I have trouble with Richter as Kirby but that just might be because I suck.

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
Young link!!:
Cloud?:
Zelda???:
It's funny, how all those problems could be helped with copying their abilities.
Young Link: His bow is extreme good and you get a better one (1.2x multiplier). Also you can duck under his attacks and stale off stage.
Cloud: Having a particle can cover your landing, make it harder for him to approach and help you gimp him. You also get a better version.
Zelda: Neutral B is a reflector and Phantom can be reflected, you can turn two of her moves against her.

LightLV

Smash Ace
I'll just say this:

For any matchup where your opponent has a poor recovery, or a projectile neutral advantage, if you think you can get the inhale then go for it

Kirby and DK have comically fast walk speed when they have someone grabbed/inhaled on this game. I've cheesed so many matches by just jumping people to the blast zone and spitting them out, or just dropping down with them inhaled and spitting them under the map. It's hilarious.

Also, in many cases giving Kirby a projectile changes everything because of the way his jump works.

I have trouble with Richter as Kirby but that just might be because I suck.
For alot of seemingly bad matchups, if Kirby can actually manage to get the Copy in this game it feels like the matchup becomes infinitely easier. Alot of neutral B moves got buffed in this game, and in the case of characters like Sonic, the Belmonts, or practically any Zoning character, you're literally taking their strongest neutral asset for yourself.

For characters like Ganon/Falcon/Mac who have **** recoveries I feel like there's FAAAAAAAAAAAR more value in Inhale than Warlock/Falcon/KO Punch. You're never going to land those moves, Kirby's own smash attacks have way better range and speed and are decently powerful enough, and Kirby is light anyway so you even trying to make use of them is just going to get you killed.

Besides, if you manage to inhale any of those characters at a decently high %, they practically lose a stock.

Last edited:

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
anyone have an answer for snake.
Get Snake Copy, which is not to hard and get good and using the grenades.
The other thing is to be calm and work around the explosions. The less you move and the calmer you are the easier it will be to navigate the craziness.
If you are dealing with someone who doesn't nade a lot and just goes full physical Utilt is your best friend. Take the copy and camp him instead.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
My hardest match ups have been Lucina and Bowser. Holy crap is bowser hard. The Fair is so strong and Kirby can't seem to DI away enough to get safe from it after getting hit.

On another note Fox has been my saving grace secondary. All the points where Kirby is weak in matchups Fox seems to cover.

I haven't had too much problem with the links. Toon Link and Young Link all love to Uair and its really ez to bait it and punish. Usmash has been my hardest problem with them.

Last edited:

Stalepopcorn_

Smash Rookie
I know it still a new game, but i’am not to found of the Wairo MU.

Last edited:

Stalepopcorn_

Smash Rookie
Holy crap is bowser hard
Bowser is a big target for Kirby, so you can use combos to wrap up damage quick. Up Tilts will do decent damage to him at low percents it will also will set up combos (Uair). Work with your options and take advantage of his big hitboxes. The match up seems easy at first till he catches a stock at 80% gl!

Last edited:

R O F L

Smash Ace
Haven't played everyone with Kirby yet, but IMO his worst match ups are the Links if they play campy, specifically normal Link.

Kirby's approach options aren't very good, especially in the air. If you're fighting link you want Battlefield, the match up of FD is insanely bad. Battlefield gives you a chance to approach on the platforms because Link can't have the ground covered at pretty much all times. However, approaching on platforms is generally not a good idea, especially against swords users.
Inhale won't do you any good because you can't spit out arrows, bombs, and boomerangs. If you inhale one to heal, you'll probably just get punished by a normal projectile.

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
I faced a Duck Hunt online yesterday and I practically couldn't do anything.

Edit: Trying to get his copy helps, but the matchup still isn't great,

Last edited:

squashthatapple

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
77662-1001-9050
Having troubles with Ness. Sometimes I’m able to nab him with bair after his bair but he’s the matchup I just can’t seem to beat.

shade3134

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know how to fight a good Link? I can't get past his projectiles and all his moves are faster than Kirby's.

D

Deleted member

Kirby’s matchups are proportional to SSB4: Only does well against those few.

Well everywhere else... uh... doesn’t fare so well.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
So after a few months and tourneys with Kirby. ZSS and Dark Samus are by far the hardest matchups i've fought.

ZSS has a lot of options for Kirby's defenses and offense. All of which are relatively safe for ZSS.

Top Bottom