• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst game of all time.

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
What's the worst game of all time?

(NOTE: Joke games like Hong Kong '97 are meant to be bad)

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Sonic Forces.
People might come here and say 06, those people are wrong. 06 is a bad game, but far from the worst in the series, let alone the worst game of all time. It actually tried to make a good game, and you can see hints of a good game beneath all the trash.
With Sonic Forces, I'm inclined to believe they didn't even try to go anywhere past the bare necessity of what is required for interactive entertainment.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I would like to propose Heathcliff: Frantic Foto.

This game LITERALLY HARD LOCKS ITSELF on Level 38. I am not kidding. This is consistent with all copies of the game. Save this one for the Garbage Ape.

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
Dynasty Warriors 9. Take Dynasty Warriors, spread it thin over an open world that is way too big for its own good. Dumb down the combat (which I'm sure most of us thought was impossible to do). Add some of the worst hunting and crafting you'll ever see. And remove all fun from the missions, story, and presentation.

I put in 40 hours because I love Dynasty Warriors. I did not enjoy a single solitary second of this boring, bloated, poorly-optimized piece of trash.

Last edited:

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
Final Fantasy: All The Bravest.
Insanely repetitive, asset flips FF5, FF3, and FF1, has inappropriate music (don't know why FF5's boss theme plays when fighting against FF1's Four Fiends, or why "Battle against the Four Fiends" doesn't play when fighting the four fiends), and has little gameplay variety. I recommend picking up one of the ACTUAL Final Fantasy games instead of this junk.

tuck :)

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
TUCK#214
When thinking about the worst games, I think it's better to think about biggest disappointments over just unplayable messes. Like yeah, Big Rigs is an awful game, but it's just not finished. What about games like Mighty No. 9? So hyped up, raised an insane amount of money on Kickstarter, and was just soooo lame. I'm thinking big budget games, with years of development and hype surrounding it, and it just sucked. Duke Nukem Forever also comes to mind.

E.T on Atari
I actually own and have beaten this game on an Atari 2600! I get why it's seen as the worst game of all time, due to how games like it lead to the crash of 1983, but once you read the manual and figure out your objective and how to play, it's not too bad. A lot of Atari games lack intuitiveness and accessibility, this game just really takes it to a whole new level.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Sonic Forces.
People might come here and say 06, those people are wrong. 06 is a bad game, but far from the worst in the series, let alone the worst game of all time. It actually tried to make a good game, and you can see hints of a good game beneath all the trash.
With Sonic Forces, I'm inclined to believe they didn't even try to go anywhere past the bare necessity of what is required for interactive entertainment.
Sonic forces is bad (i didnt play it but others say so) but it seems to be far from the worst game esspecialy if stuff like this exist

watch leave my Eyes/Ears alone (on Youtube) and you´ll see what i mean!

Last edited:

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
Does Jekyll and Hyde have any relevance to the book it’s named after?

Nope.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Does Jekyll and Hyde have any relevance to the book it’s named after?

Nope.
Still it has Decent Graphics and the Jekyll sections are Nice (tho sadly you shouldnt be in them)
Top Banana has nothing Good about it its so bad you think it was made by Satan😈

Ridley64

Smash Journeyman
Sonic Forces.
Worse then Sonic Boom, Sonic Shuffle, Sonic and the Secret Rings, and Sonic Labyrinth?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Worse then Sonic Boom, Sonic Shuffle, Sonic and the Secret Rings, and Sonic Labyrinth?
Those games are bad, but Forces is so mediocre that I feel nothing playing it. At least with something like Sonic Boom or Shadow The Hedgehog I can have ironic fun.
For Secret Rings though, I actually don't think it's a bad game, just an ok one like Forces, and its sequel, Black Knight, is one of my favorites in the series.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here's another stinker I can think of: Crash Boom Bang for the DS. This comment I read from a YouTube review on it describes my feelings perfectly:

"I will always say this about video games: "The worst video games are NOT the ones that are just terrible. The worst video games are the ones developed with NO Passion, NO Care, and NO Respect to the material and fanbase in question." Crash Boom Bang EASILY fits that description. But you want to know what the WORST thing about it is? This game was developed by Dimps. You know, the SAME Dimps behind DS Games like the Sonic Advance and Rush Series, and well as Sonic Colors? Street Fighters 4 AND 5? The Dragon Ball Series? Kirby and the Amazing Mirror? HOW is this the SAME Company that did those games well, yet ****ED up the Crash Series so GODDAMN BADLY? HOW?!"

Come to think of it, I think that comment perfectly matches the description Janx_uwu Janx_uwu made about Sonic Forces:

Last edited:

Ridley64

Smash Journeyman
Fortnite. It only had one battle royale game mode I even halfway enjoyed playing, 50V50. Even then, the storm was barely ever NOT on Tilted Towers. Some fans make the game unplayable. Creative mode was no fun after the build limit. I only played it so people would stop telling me to get it. It was nothing like what everyone else said. It was a slightly better then normal shooter. Fortnite feels like such a play to win game.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Fortnite feels like such a play to win game.
That's how most games work. Play to win.
If you meant 'pay to win', Fortnite has not pay to win elements. There's just optional cosmetics you can get. While I don't play it anymore, I've won Solo twice without spending a cent.

Ridley64

Smash Journeyman
That's how most games work. Play to win.
If you meant 'pay to win', Fortnite has not pay to win elements. There's just optional cosmetics you can get. While I don't play it anymore, I've won Solo twice without spending a cent.
I aplogize, I phrased that wrong. I meant pay to lessen the toxicity.

Last edited:

Put Out <3

Smash Rookie
Top Banana is a very solid contender, I respect people who nominated that one, as I'm a major Amiga and Atari ST geek, speaking of that console, I think Beverly Hills Cop on Amiga also deserves mention, for being barely functional, and having just as painful music as Top Banana. The graphics are barely better, the overhead shooter segments make early master system games look 32 bit. And the 3d exploratory levels... actually unplayable. It's ridiculous that 3d segments in this game were considered even slightly acceptable when it was already years after Wolfenstein, and Alpha Waves did far far better on the same console.

For another recommendation, Fade to Black, sequel to the beautiful cinematic platformer Flashback. It's ridiculous that they thought it was ok to ship it in such a broken primitive state especially at the time it came out, it's honestly up there with Bubsy3D as the worst of Ps1

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Bubsy 3D...

Nitro Rad said it all:
Bubsy 3D, conceptually, is completely sound - especially when you consider it begun development before Mario 64 was announced, Bad? yes. Worst of all time contender? No way.

Anyway, I just remembered a game worse than Heathcliff: Sqij!

This game was coded entirely in caps lock and as such doesn't fuction. It was only made out of contractual obligation, They still released it because well... the ZX Spectrum and quality control are mutually exclusive.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Top Banana is a very solid contender, I respect people who nominated that one, as I'm a major Amiga and Atari ST geek, speaking of that console, I think Beverly Hills Cop on Amiga also deserves mention, for being barely functional, and having just as painful music as Top Banana. The graphics are barely better, the overhead shooter segments make early master system games look 32 bit. And the 3d exploratory levels... actually unplayable. It's ridiculous that 3d segments in this game were considered even slightly acceptable when it was already years after Wolfenstein, and Alpha Waves did far far better on the same console.

For another recommendation, Fade to Black, sequel to the beautiful cinematic platformer Flashback. It's ridiculous that they thought it was ok to ship it in such a broken primitive state especially at the time it came out, it's honestly up there with Bubsy3D as the worst of Ps1
I suggested it i never played it (i mean why would i want to torture myself) but i looked at it and its disgusting

I think its weird how people say things like Sonic 06 is the Worst game ever eventhough its still Playable and can be fun

Also Top Banana Sucks

Last edited:

Put Out <3

Smash Rookie
Bubsy 3D, conceptually, is completely sound - especially when you consider it begun development before Mario 64 was announced, Bad? yes. Worst of all time contender? No way.

This game was coded entirely in caps lock and as such doesn't fuction. It was only made out of contractual obligation, They still released it because well... the ZX Spectrum and quality control are mutually exclusive.
Ah yes, I remember when Ashens played this in his terrible old games no one remembers panel. That was so hilarious, what's even more a shame is, the original Commodore 64 game that was ported is actually pretty decent!
https://youtu.be/HDJro6L9XR8
It's not my favorite c64 game of all time or anything, (it's no Elite or Jet Set Willy ^^) but still it's pretty solid, reminds me a bit of Cybernoid but with a bird.

from what I remember, the person who coded that awful port was like, only a teen at the time, right? And the company who commissioned him to do it was super greedy or something I don't remember fully but I think this video goes into depth on all this haha
https://youtu.be/wl-xbRCR_s8

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I don't think I know enough games to say which one is the worst. The worst game I've played to completion is probably Sonic Forces, but I don't play many bad games, even less so to completion, and I wouldn't say it's much less than mediocre. Off the top of my head Sonic 06 and Bubsy 3D come to mind, you don't even really need to play them to see how they're so bad, but I'm sure there's much worse.

what do you mean doesn't function? like that it's riddled with glitches or that it just isn't playable? because if it's the latter then does that even count as a video game?

Put Out <3

Smash Rookie
I don't think I know enough games to say which one is the worst. The worst game I've played to completion is probably Sonic Forces, but I don't play many bad games, even less so to completion, and I wouldn't say it's much less than mediocre. Off the top of my head Sonic 06 and Bubsy 3D come to mind, you don't even really need to play them to see how they're so bad, but I'm sure there's much worse.

what do you mean doesn't function? like that it's riddled with glitches or that it just isn't playable? because if it's the latter then does that even count as a video game?
It was meant to be a port of this C64 game where you fly around labyrinth stages, as a bird. A game comparable to Cybernoid or, the more well known NES title Solar Jetman would also be a good comparison except, without that games asteroid controls
Anyways, That's what it was supposed to be. and here's the port:
But, the port doesn't use any of the original graphics, it doesn't even feel like the same game, and worst of all, the code is all a lie
The game was programmed with Caps lock on in an engine for ZX spectrum known as laser basic. But the game can't run with caps lock on. Meaning none of the buttons work, you can even move, once you're placed in the level, it's completely functionless.

The only way to make the game even slightly work is to actually fire up Laser Basic and use it's code editor to fix the game for the devs(yes they actually illegally left the program they used to make the game, on this casset)
And by fixing the caps lock thing, to make it so you can actually move, you'll realize the game has no collision detection. The enemies will instantly collide with you if you are within the same column of space as them (yes, it's impossible to dodge them) so the only option is to shoot your laser at them (which is of course, invisible) so that you can get through. If you shoot through the enemies and exit the room on the left there is one more screen to view with a poorly drawn apple on it. But play for too long past these screens and the game seems to crash anyways O_O

in 2018 someone made a really solid port of the C64 game to ZX Spectrum and it's so great. The original game though, just laughable I definitely think it's a great contender for worst game. Even if the poor teen who programmed it was stressed out and that's why the end product was so bad

Last edited:

francisbaud

Smash Rookie
I used to purchase pirated copies for PlayStation 1 and Xbox (and Dreamcast? not sure), and I was selecting the games just based on their name and their genre from a list. So it happened a few times I haven't played some of them for more than a few minutes because they weren't my type of game. I can't remember specific game titles though.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Custer's Revenge. Holy wow, that thing doesn't just suck, it's also sexist and racist which you wouldn't think would be possible in 8-bit but here we are. Though I must warn that it's highly inappropriate. It won't scar you to look at if you're an adult, but children should be kept far away.

For a G-rated option, I'm going with Action 52. 52 games, which meant this was way more expensive that your typical game back when it released, and not a single good game among them!

Top Bottom