• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

World War Blue/Aoi Sekai no Chuushin De (Sega vs. Nintendo manga/anime)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
However, there's plenty of oddball stuff around, too - like Aoi Sekai no Chuushin. This new production is set in the mythical land of Consume, where two kingdoms are battling it out for supremacy. On one side there's the dominant Ninterudo Empire, and on the other there's the resurgent Segua Kingdom. Gia and a few of his friends have to face off against Marcse and the rest of the Ninterudo Empire. There will be appearances of third party kingdoms and characters like Namco, Square, and possibly Sony. Because of the rather theme of war and fanservice, this could end up as gritty and edgy as There Will Be Brawl.

Unless you're totally clueless, you should notice that this is a thinly-veiled attempt to retell the console wars of the '90s, when the Super Nintendo and Sega Mega Drive (AKA: Genesis) fought for the attention and cash of millions worldwide. There is a manga adaption that been around since 2007, though there have been no translations ever since. All of the characters featured in the series are based on Nintendo and Sega franchises. Check out the full list below (as translated by Nintendo Gamer):

Gia – Sonic (Sonic The Hedgehog)
Opul – Opa-Opa (Fantasy Zone)
Neru – Nei (Phantasy Star)
Tejilof – Tetris (apparently a third-party mercenary hired by Segua)
Ramses – Columns
Marcse – Mario
Greege – Luigi
Zerig – The Legend Of Zelda
Carval – Kirby
Fare – Fire Emblem
Masa – Mother
Saroid – Samus (Metroid)
Pirika – Pikachu (Pokémon)
Fosta – Fox (Star Fox)

Here's the world map of the Consume region.

There will be 3 26 minute long episodes total. The first episode will air October 20, the second will be on December 27, and the final would be around Spring Break. Would you be interested in this anime?

Update: World War Blue (the English version of Aoi Sekai no Chuushin De manga) manga is officially out thanks to being published by Seven Seas Entertainment. You can actually read and witness the entire story in you language and it's at a select price of $12.99. You can buy it in book stores at that price in places like Barnes and Noble. Or you can have the option of buying it from online sites like EBay and Amazon. The first volume is out this month, the second will be out next month, and the third will be out this November. Since the anime was practically an adaption of Volume 1, I'd recommend buying Volume 2 next month. If not, you can buy and read the first volume if you want to. There are a total of 9 volumes that Seven Seas Entertainment got to handle and we should be able to have every single one of them by the end of next year (probably around the release of Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS). I'd highly doubt anyone would be brave enough to upload the manga online since it may be taken down immediately for copyright reasons, similar to what happened to almost every Weekly Shonen Jump manga on the Mangahere website. Either way, everyone can now read the manga legally in English.

The original manga can be viewed here (Warning: may be violence and echhi)
http://oab.sakura.ne.jp/gia/index.shtml

The manga is on sale in the following stores/online services
http://www.ebay.com/itm/World-War-B...68381?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item5658c00bbd
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wor...tasia-shestakova/1114671857?ean=9781937867966
http://www.amazon.com/World-War-Blue-Vol-1/dp/193786796X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374601952&sr=8-1&keywords=world war blue

The all three episodes can be seen here (Warning: may be violence and echhi)
http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/aoi-sekai-no-chuushin-de-episode-1-online
http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/aoi-sekai-no-chuushin-de-episode-2-online
http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/aoi-sekai-no-chuushin-de-episode-3-online
[COLLAPSE="Extra Promotional Art"]

[/COLLAPSE]

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
That is somehow undescribable for me to say right now. I can't decide if this is weird or interesting.

I might have to take a look at this now.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
This sounds oddly interesting... But why has the manga never been fan translated? That sounds like something people would want to read

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
This sounds oddly interesting... But why has the manga never been fan translated? That sounds like something people would want to read
Because they are too lazy and would rather translate other manga, like ones from the Japanese Shonen Jump. :troll:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I've heard about this a few days ago, and yes, this is strange... to say the least. Anyway, it looks interesting.

and... who would tell that a character based on Mario would be a mighty emperor?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I've heard about this a few days ago, and yes, this is strange... to say the least. Anyway, it looks interesting.

and... who would tell that a character based on Mario would be a mighty emperor?
It's because Nintendo is arguably the greatest legendary gaming company in the industry. Though, Sony was the real ones responsible for Sega's downfall with their PlayStation 2 crushing the Dreamcast.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This isn't strange as far as I'm concerned. I've seen anime's do this kind of thing lots of times. I've seen it done WEIRDER.

I don't like when they take things though and make human interpretations of them in anime though

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Considering the growing hype for this anime, a lot of gamers are going to see this and would love to reminisce about the good ol' days of Nintendo vs. Sega. This is going to wind up as the new There Will Be Brawl except ancient themed, Lighter & Softer, and more fanservice laden. If all 3 episodes turn out to be a success, they could pitch in a sequel about the current consoles wars with more characters and kingdoms to view. It should also focus on the Sonia (Sony) Empire and their rising new IP's and franchises. I mean people would be dying to see their version of Cole, Nathan, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Parappa, Ari & Stan, Sir Daniel, Ratchet and Clank (especially with those big fuzzy eyebrows of his :troll:) and much more. :awesome:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The one in the middle looks like Akuma. Is Capcom on board with this too?
Yes. After all, they will be traveling to different kingdoms based on third party companies like Sony, Capcom, Square, and Microsoft. Though, Nintendo and Sega has the biggest role in the story.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Update: Added the world map of the Consume region. Try to guess what the regions other than the Ninterudo (Nintendo) Empire and the Segua (Sega) Kingdom.

Anyways, I believe there would be a promo or ad for this posted at the end of the month.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Got bored and skimmed through the chapters that are currently out (there's about 55 now), it's really quite fun to see all of the video game parodies, most chapters are even named after video game related stuff, ex. Green Hill, Marble Zone, Fantasy Zone, Nights (into) Dreams, E3, ect.

I found parodies of: Alex Kidd, Nights, Donkey Kong and DK Jr., Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Bubble Bobble, Darkstalkers, Pac Man, Tekken, and what I think is Shin Megami, Pitfall, and what I think is a few SNK series.

Chapters had stuff like:

• The Kong family has been kidnapping women again, so Mario sends Link and Kirby to stop them.
  • Alex Kidd is Sonic's father.
  • Sonic learning how to spin dash.
  • Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy get into a war, ending in truce and become BF & GF.
  • There's a big nationwide fighting tournament called E3.
  • Street Fighter takes on other fighters in the tournament. As does Tetris and Dragon Quest who each take on their respective genres.
  • Nintendo and Sega both fight against various foreign "CD" based nations.
  • Nintendo debates on how to take out an enemy ship: Kirby wants to eat it, FE wants a tactical strike, Tetris wants to drop a giant block on it.
  • Pokemon seems to be it's own nation of monks. Is ruled by Arceus and a few princesses who look like Misty, May, and Dawn from the Pokemon anime. Also has an orphanage full of baby Pokemon that are looked after by Mew.
  • Pac Man and Kirby get into a fight over food... lol

Of course the above is just what a guy with a minor amount of knowledge of the Japanese language picked up, so there's probably a LOT that I missed/errors in this quick summary. Definitely looking forward to watching the anime, I hope a fan-sub group picks it up when it starts airing.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What was the point in making Akuma a girl?

What, cause they thought a girl in ragged clothing would be hot?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Got bored and skimmed through the chapters that are currently out (there's about 55 now), it's really quite fun to see all of the video game parodies, most chapters are even named after video game related stuff, ex. Green Hill, Marble Zone, Fantasy Zone, Nights (into) Dreams, E3, ect.

I found parodies of: Alex Kidd, Nights, Donkey Kong and DK Jr., Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Bubble Bobble, Darkstalkers, Pac Man, Tekken, and what I think is Shin Megami, Pitfall, and what I think is a few SNK series.

Chapters had stuff like:

• The Kong family has been kidnapping women again, so Mario sends Link and Kirby to stop them.
  • Alex Kidd is Sonic's father.
  • Sonic learning how to spin dash.
  • Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy get into a war, ending in truce and become BF & GF.
  • There's a big nationwide fighting tournament called E3.
  • Street Fighter takes on other fighters in the tournament. As does Tetris and Dragon Quest who each take on their respective genres.
  • Nintendo and Sega both fight against various foreign "CD" based nations.
  • Nintendo debates on how to take out an enemy ship: Kirby wants to eat it, FE wants a tactical strike, Tetris wants to drop a giant block on it.
  • Pokemon seems to be it's own nation of monks. Is ruled by Arceus and a few princesses who look like Misty, May, and Dawn from the Pokemon anime. Also has an orphanage full of baby Pokemon that are looked after by Mew.
  • Pac Man and Kirby get into a fight over food... lol

Of course the above is just what a guy with a minor amount of knowledge of the Japanese language picked up, so there's probably a LOT that I missed/errors in this quick summary. Definitely looking forward to watching the anime, I hope a fan-sub group picks it up when it starts airing.
LOL At least I figured out who were those two below the world map in that picture I posted. I'll start reading Chapter 6 later on.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just for the record, you all do realize that a reference to the fights and eventual company merger between Square and Enix?

Also yes, there is a scene where they get into bed together.

I'll dig up some good scenes (not the above) from the manga that show off some other characters later.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
White haired girl Final Fantasy, Brown Haired guy with tiara Dragon Quest?

Figure because the guy kind of looks like the Dragon Quest hero, and the girl is wearing crystal earings

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just for the record, you all do realize that a reference to the fights and eventual company merger between Square and Enix?

Also yes, there is a scene where they get into bed together.

I'll dig up some good scenes (not the above) from the manga that show off some other characters later.
I figured that since I am a Final Fantasy fan and I just read up to that part. XD

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Update: Just to let you guys know, the first episode will air tomorrow and hopefully someone hosts it on any anime streaming website.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Update: I added a link to the first episode.

To be honest, the animated adaption was not that bad. The character designs were rather spot on with some subtle hints to what game/character they are based on and looked like any other high quality anime. The fan service was expected considering the author's earliest works. :/ Opa Opa x Sonic was expected since they were mascot buddies since the late 90's. She was a rather cool charactrer who reminded me of Erza from Fairy Tail.
Tails's death really made me cry since I'm a huge Tails fan. :'(
The plot is pretty accurate of how the console wars really was since I'll give them credit for that one. They also captured Sonic's abilities and personality very well in this anime. Tetris was rather disturbing for a few reasons.
He always talk about pleasuring himself, he groped Columns (considering the Tetris vs. Columns connections in the 90's), and makes sex gestures.
. But, he's still a cool guy regardless. Link is psycho as expected, Yoshi was badass, and Mario is the bold plumber he always was. I'm hoping for the next episode to air around January since I'm already sucked into how awesome this show is. I want to see my favorite character (Kirby) animated already! DX

Anyways, had anyone else seen today's episode?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Yeah I quite enjoyed it. Can't wait to see more of the Nintendo characters.

Oh I just looked at the OP. Is there really only going to be 3 hour long episodes? Cause the first episode posted was only 30 mins...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yeah I quite enjoyed it. Can't wait to see more of the Nintendo characters.

Oh I just looked at the OP. Is there really only going to be 3 hour long episodes? Cause the first episode posted was only 30 mins...
Yeah, that was a prediction. I'll edit it right away.

I wonder if the "Gotta Go Fast" scene at the begining of the episode was a Sonic X reference? Someone made that joke in a form of a video on YouTube recently. Xd

Guess we'll have to wait until January until the next episode.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Yeah. Although I find it very disappointing that it's only going to be 3 episodes. Seems like such little time imo. I think the perfect amount of episodes for an anime is like...20 episodes.

Oh well. Least it's being made. 1st episode was good so the next two better be some of the greatest 30 minutes ever. Haha

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yeah. Although I find it very disappointing that it's only going to be 3 episodes. Seems like such little time imo. I think the perfect amount of episodes for an anime is like...20 episodes.

Oh well. Least it's being made. 1st episode was good so the next two better be some of the greatest 30 minutes ever. Haha
Ikr. They skipped a lot of plot details and rushed a bit, like the Ninterudo war sequence was much longer in the manga and the Harris (Space Harrier) and Gear (Sonic) fight wasn't that short.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I should start reading the manga for the time being. Originally I was just going to watch the anime first, but with only 3 episodes, I'm not missing too much. Is the manga translated into English at all?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I should start reading the manga for the time being. Originally I was just going to watch the anime first, but with only 3 episodes, I'm not missing too much. Is the manga translated into English at all?
Sadly, no one translated it at all. Though, you read it if you can understand body language. --- (Triple Dash) is currently reading it and had gave us a lot of plot details from the manga a few pages back since he knows a bit of Japanese.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I've watched this and really enjoyed it, on the same boat that think it is a shame for it to be only three episodes... there is way too much potential being wasted.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
There's no way this series can be only 3 episodes. Haven't even seen half the character in the OP!

If it realy is only 3 episodes...then it's probably the worst anime I've ever watched. It needs a lot more time to grow. As of now, the fight scenes are far too rushed ad the whole thing in general moves too fast. It doesn't take the time to build any character. And I think it takes itself to seriously. Have some fun with this producers!

Only thing I've liked so far was some subtle game references (Atarian army crash) and the absorbing concept.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Their best option is to make a series of OVA's to explore the rest of the manga's plot. I can see this happening later in the year or when the DVD's of the anime sell well.

I'm planning on buying the entire manga when it gets fully localized to know the entire story. I just wish Crimson could make a sequel based on the rise of Sony.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Update: I redecorated the page with the English cover of the manga, a new paragraph that explains everything about each volume's release, and added several links to where you can buy the manga to celebrate the first official English release of World War Blue. As for me, I'm buying the next volume since the anime pretty much gave away everything that happened in the first volume.

Top Bottom