• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Suspect

Smash Hero
Unrelated, but how come it's okay for puerto rican rappers to say nigg/a but not whiteys?
that's what i wanna know also. I hear people like fat joe say it all the time and people let him, if thats the case let eminem say it.

But i dont like it when anyone other race says it personally. I let people around me know that aren't black not to say it. I always check non-black people on it when they do say it.

Frank West

Smash Apprentice
Ethnicity doesn't mean ****. If that were the case, no one would be allowed to say it seeing as how there's no such thing as being 100% black these days. It's about if you're black enough on the inside.

However white people still can't say it lol they created the word after all

on topic: 20 minute soulja boy freestyle...

http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/90480697/file.html

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i really don't see:
A. This conversation's relevance to hip-hop.
B. How this convo could possibly be a positive topic to talk about

if anything, this should be a separate thread and the people woho want to respond should respond over there. let's keep this about hip-hop discussion, shall we?

Jane

Smash Hero
Lol the question sounds relevant to me. What word, 4 letters and up, do you hear most in your hip hop? Ni.gga.

But here's the real question - honestly who gives a **** who "can" and "cant" say the word. I know I say it, but not around random black people that I would feel would get offended by it. But with my friends and all that we say it all the time.

What am I trying to get at with this? It's just a dam word. Lots of different feelings and controversies come up with the word, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that its still just a word.

As long as black people keep using it a lot, everyone else will too, just not around black people.

So although I do think this is a valid topic to discuss, my feelings on the matter is this - who caresss. Fack.

EDIT:: oh and just for the record, I'm mexican.. lol
Also yeah swag white people have a harder time saying it haha, but they still say it.

And also, you know what this is a good discussion topic. Hah.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Hispanic people get a pass for some reason... but to say it's just a word is ridiculous. All language is just words. If they're just 'words' than why can the simplest of sentences devastate people. The connotations, emotions and stigma attached to words can be very powerful. To call it just a word means you're severely underestimating the power of language.

I don't think anyone should say it. That simple.

Fat Joe has been in the game mad long. Is his music today worth checking? Not really. Does he deserve some respect? I think so.

Looking forward to that Joell Ortiz Free Agent. Also, Reks is supposedly dropping an album in March. Hyped.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Fat joe is terrible.........

I need more albums to download from this year. so far, i have no albums that came out this year :(

Reks = beast = been hyped :)
still, i need to listen to more grey hairs lol

Joell = need to go download his album. i've only listened to roadkill.

Jane

Smash Hero
My thoughts exactly, marik. Lol.

9 - I know there are stigmas attached to words. I said that. But just because it can be used in a negative manner, doesn't mean that whenever you use the word, its used offensively, so what's the problem? If I'm not using it to insult or demean someone, what's the problem? Oh, "some people don't like that." Well if some people don't like it then I wont say it around them. If I want to say niggu, and we live in this free country, I will continue to do so as I please.

When i say its just a word, I'm taking away power. Words only have power when people give it to them.

Mind trick - I promise ill listen to that song when I'm on a computer and not my phone. I love listening to hip hop from other parts of the world :D

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
French hip-hop = the best thing evar.

Japanese hip-hop = LOLWTFISTHIS?

Edit @ Jane: I'm wondering why it didn't just go away like every other slang term did (the way the N word is used is similar to a slang term). Everytime some new word comes up in a song or something and people like it, they use it.

They use it, and use it and overuse it till it gets boring and dies. At one time, people in my area were saying constantly "****, that dude got flickted!" which I thought was a ******** way to abbreviate "Inflicted"...but after awhile people stopped using it. Then it was "Yo dawg, that's overboard"...and so on and so forth till a new word comes up.

Why has the N word stayed around this long? Because it's an extremely powerful word that has too much history to just "lose its power" from people using it like it's no big deal. I mean, I'm a really tolerant person. I don't get offended by much because I feel that pretty much everyone's a little racist. I find it kind of silly now when I hear or see people (especially my own family) base their actions around stereotypes. It makes them seem kinda naive in this day and age (though serious racism is still around).

However, for reasons I cannot explain, if I hear someone saying the word who probably wouldn't say it around a group of black dudes...I feel a certain type of way, like reflex. It's like if a cute girl walks by, I have to stare a few seconds longer than an ugly chick...it's one of those kinds of things. I know it seems silly, they obviously don't mean the word to hurt someone or to be offensive...but for "just a word" to spark up a kind of apprehension in someone like me, a person who has no real attachment or history with racism or stereotypes or any of that...it shouldn't be taken so lightly.

Hell, I still feel a certain type of way when South Park says it...reflexively, I know it's just comedy n whatnot...but still..

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
lol this is slowly becoming a "who can and can't say it" discussion. blah. that's why i hate talking about it. some hype up the effect, some belittle it. doesn't lead to anything productive >__>

if i understood different languages, i wouldn't have so much or a problem listening to foreign music. but i find myself paying way too much attention to instrumentals =/ i still have some japanese pop music on my computer, coincidentally....

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I think the word is mostly still so prevalent in music because of the sound/aesthetic of it. It rolls off the tongue, it fits into tons of rhyme schemes and bars fairly easy, etc. To the point where people might not even think about it when spitting. I wasn't trying to set people off, I was just curious as I was listening to Revolutionary Vol. 2, and then I remembered all the flack Em got for one underground song he did with the word.

I think that song had more wrong with it than just the word though IIRC.

Jane

Smash Hero
I'm wondering why it didn't just go away like every other slang term did (the way the N word is used is similar to a slang term). Everytime some new word comes up in a song or something and people like it, they use it.
wait first of all what do you mean by other slang terms? do you mean racial slang or just slang in general? im assuming you mean racial slang cuz theres plenty of normal slang still used today.

second, you answered your own question, if people like it theyll use it and if they use it frequently enough itll stick.

theres so many slang words kept alive by hiphop, that would otherwise only be alive in a certain area of the country, or just not alive anymore.

They use it, and use it and overuse it till it gets boring and dies. At one time, people in my area were saying constantly "****, that dude got flickted!" which I thought was a ******** way to abbreviate "Inflicted"...but after awhile people stopped using it. Then it was "Yo dawg, that's overboard"...and so on and so forth till a new word comes up.
LOL FLICKTED. thats funny/tight. :p i kinda... feel like using that now haha

Why has the N word stayed around this long? Because it's an extremely powerful word that has too much history to just "lose its power" from people using it like it's no big deal.
this is where i start disagreeing with you. i do not at all believe the n word has stayed alive solely because its an extremely powerful word. wetback is a powerful word, chink is a powerful word, shiet, even the word terrorist is associated with anyone from the middle east nowadays, and thats powerful right now in current times.

but anyways, wetback and chink, although powerful and offensive, havent stayed alive for, i think, two reasons:

1. like luigi says, it just rolls off the tongue. ive joked with my friends saying that black people got very unlucky because they got the funnest, most catchy racial slang word out of everyone in the world.

2. HIP. HOP. without the music driving the almighty n word, it would not be as prevalent today. and rap music is not going anywhere, friends.

I mean, I'm a really tolerant person. I don't get offended by much because I feel that pretty much everyone's a little racist. I find it kind of silly now when I hear or see people (especially my own family) base their actions around stereotypes. It makes them seem kinda naive in this day and age (though serious racism is still around).
100% agreed. more than 100%.

However, for reasons I cannot explain, if I hear someone saying the word who probably wouldn't say it around a group of black dudes...I feel a certain type of way, like reflex. It's like if a cute girl walks by, I have to stare a few seconds longer than an ugly chick...it's one of those kinds of things. I know it seems silly, they obviously don't mean the word to hurt someone or to be offensive...but for "just a word" to spark up a kind of apprehension in someone like me, a person who has no real attachment or history with racism or stereotypes or any of that...it shouldn't be taken so lightly.

Hell, I still feel a certain type of way when South Park says it...reflexively, I know it's just comedy n whatnot...but still..

so in the end, you are more sensitive to the word than i am, and that is perfectly alright with me.

like i said i dont say the n word around black people, not only because they would get extremely pissed (not all), but because i know they dont want to hear me [a mexican] say it in front of their face. but if anyone else, of any color, heard me say it and said "hey, im kind of offended by that word dude..." i will happily stop saying it around them. i have respect for all people, but i dont let stupid little things like words have any impact on me. thats just how i am i guess

Doromac

Smash Journeyman
I see it this way.

Words are meant to be spoken. People say words. People have loaded words with negative connotations. Words happen to be bad sometimes. They are still words though. They should not make such a large impact on a person. I don't like it when people use it purposely to "hurt my feelings" (sad part is, words don't really affect my emotions too much, so it's a waste of their breathe and time) only because it makes me view that person as just plain ignorant.

So how did we gete to this discussion? I'm not going back to catch up. Paraphrasing will work greatly.

Jane

Smash Hero
thats a classic, blu

oh and doromac, this is all the paraphrasing you need -

Unrelated, but how come it's okay for puerto rican rappers to say nigg/a but not whiteys?
it just started from this.

also which puerto rican rappers say niggu, besides joe and pun? only other person i can think of that MIGHT is termanology, but i dont think so. does he?

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Termanology does it. Nino Bless. Joell.

Most Hispanic/Latino rappers I've heard say it....can't think of any that don't.

Jane

Smash Hero
yeah thats true... technique does it but hes half black ;b

this is just making me realize how little latino representation there is in (american) hiphop :< haha

Jane

Smash Hero
if theyre half black they are crossed off of the "wait... im not sure if it is socially acceptable that you use this word" list

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
he gets a pass from me too : ). i could be biased.

ill bill has a song called white nigg*r. he likes to hang out with the "rage against the government" crowd, i.e jedi mind tricks, immortal technique, etc. nobody gave him too much **** about it. i dunno. different standard for him than eminem i guess?

edit; What's Royce da 5'9's best mixtape, if anyone knows?

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Death is Certain is his best album.

Bar Exam 1 & 2 are his best mixtapes.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
people shouldn't get worked up over the word *****

the fact that "Black people" can use it, and white people can't just seperates races even more.

sort of like black history month, that **** is racist as ****.(towards black people not white people)

rhan

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFTpQLK3lOs
ARRRGGGGHHHHH

so how many black dudes are there in this thread? i'm half. dunno if that counts lol.

^^^HE DID IT!
Mix breed right here too! Cept I'm mixed with white...

Yet the n word is apart of my social vocabulary. I only really use it in a "hype" or "joking" manner. I don't see anything wrong with it if used in such a manner that's not demeaning or charged with hatered.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Mix breed right here too! Cept I'm mixed with white...

Yet the n word is apart of my social vocabulary. I only really use it in a "hype" or "joking" manner. I don't see anything wrong with it if used in such a manner that's not demeaning or charged with hatered.
Everything you just said is basically what I am and what I do.

I haven't posted here since the first page.

edit: IAmBlu3, I BEEN PUT ANTE UP IN HERE CUZZO, CHECK THE FIRST TWO PAGES.

Top Bottom