• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't think Kendrick isn't that bad. Yet. He's quickly rising in fame, so he'll quickly sell out and only make collaborations with Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne and Taylor Swift.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
damn what a bad time to enter this thread. kendricks the ****!! id also bet my account for a months time he collaborates with none of those people minus the young money ****** which i wouldnt even find offensive. i remember he actually did a mixtape over some of tha carter 3s beats so i dont think him doing some **** wit weezy would be selling out cuz he apparently has some respect for him

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He's great at the moment really. But this has been happening too much lately. Would wish that Kendrick wouldn't sell out, but apperantly you can't make it otherwise in these times or something. Let's just say, I'm praying for the best, but expecting the worst.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
caring about "selling out" is really teenage and pointless to me. as long as kendrick continues to make quality, thoughtful music that he wants to there's nothing wrong with it no matter who they collaborate with. i really really like kendrick because he's a great bridge between modern mainstream pop sensibilities and lyrical and spiritual content. and he's not a phony. watching him perform proved that to me.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, he won't have the same quality when he sells out, and that was my whole point. **** it, I love Kendrick to as it is now. But seeing his quick rise to fame, I wouldn't be surprised if he became another Drake.

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
Well, he won't have the same quality when he sells out, and that was my whole point. **** it, I love Kendrick to as it is now. But seeing his quick rise to fame, I wouldn't be surprised if he became another Drake.
caring about "selling out" is really teenage and pointless to me. as long as kendrick continues to make quality, thoughtful music that he wants to there's nothing wrong with it no matter who they collaborate with. i really really like kendrick because he's a great bridge between modern mainstream pop sensibilities and lyrical and spiritual content. and he's not a phony. watching him perform proved that to me.
I agree with both of these, if he ends up selling out I won't care as long as it stops before it affects the quality of his music

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
i'm not too worried about that honestly. i feel like GKMC was his crossing into mainstream. it's definitely a more pop oriented project than his mixtapes. some might argue that he's already made sacrifices to his lyricism to make some of those songs on the album work in a more catchy mainstream sensibility. i don't think he did it to get more fans, but out of a genuine love for all aspects of hip hop be it ignorant **** or lyrical ****. i could always be wrong, but i'm trying to be optimistic about him of all people.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I really like that. its good for the artform to have a healthy competitive nature. that King of New York line is a bit much...but besides that I dont think that any of the names he dropped have anything on him except Jay Electro

Jane

Smash Hero
twitter was going absolutely bananas over that song. i dont necessarily think it was like kendricks best verse or anything. it was a good song. the best part of the song was #twitpicyourreactionafterhearingkendricksverse, which was top trending for damn near the entire night. lol

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
man i really liked big sean better when he just stuck to weed songs with currensy/wiz. theres something about him i just find boring

glad to see jay electronica drop a tight verse. i think his ****s always quality

lol @ the king of new york line. joell ortiz dropped a nice remix just a lil while ago im feelin

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm gonna take back all my comments about Kendrick I posted earlier. Control is one of the best **** I've heard in a while!

Even though that Lupe comment was well placed to.

Deathconsciousness

Banned via Administration
LMFAO

This is literally the funniest **** I've seen in this thread for a long time.

You must prefer everything underground and unheard of? **** outta here, everything that's mainstream embodies everything about hip-hop, whether it's lyrical or not.
lul major swing and a miss considering kanye is one of my favorite rappers, and you're just wrong in general, but yea whatever helps you sleep at night bby :^)

Suspect

Smash Hero
i was more impressed with joell ortiz than anyone. lupe was a bit disappointing

It was disappointing compared to the original SLR but I dont see how it was just as a track. Not even rap genius caught on to what he was saying yet, he impersonated rappers from the 1 to 3 minute mark. It's decent.

but then again, people are overrating Kendrick once again. Congrats on him being the troll of the year though.

soap

Smash Hero
The day after Control dropped I had the Joel Ortiz outta control drop blasting on replay in my car and I pull right up to these kids at the light that had the original on

I'm like damn I guess that's how everybody's feelin today

Javon89

Smash Ace
Really? I enjoyed it, Earl was pretty solid on all of the tracks and the production was decent for the most part, especially on Burgundy.
My only gripe with it was the features, but they aren't really the focus.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
The original Control was FIY.

Wish Jay Electronica had a longer verse tho.

Joell Ortiz went in too. Ain't really peep anybody else's **** yet.

Jane

Smash Hero
i literally had a dream i checked this thread and someone (besides serin) replied about the between villains song. when i got on here just now i was like "the ****, you can delete your own post now? ...wait, who was it? soap? LT? the ****?"

soap

Smash Hero
I liked Budden's verse. He had some substance to it.

I still think it was like way too many bars. That's his style in general tho. I was listening to it this afternoon, and I'm like **** when is he gonna wrap this up I wanna get to the pool before they close.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
to everyone that thinks kendrick diss everyone on his verse is abunch of idiots.
Kendrick is just telling everyone he named to step their lyrical game up.

Me personally, i'm tired of hearing rappers rap about the same crap, talkin about how lavish
their lifestyle is, how much their chains cost, how much their watches cost, poppin bottles
in vip, using the word "hater" etc.

Lyrical rappers can tell stories & say some creative stuff that'll have you thinking.
Take Kendrick for example; from his song "poetic justice" he said "If I told you that a flower bloomed in a dark room would you trust it?" That's what you call a lyrical rapper.

:pow:

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
except it only really applied to ****ty mainstream relevant ****** considering I could name 20 different artists and MCs that have better lyricism than kendrick

soap

Smash Hero
the mainstream circle is what many primarily listen to. I think it's great that they were issued a challenge.

lots of underground dudes do have their own lane that's cool

you sound kinda bitter calling everyone that is mainstream relevant "****ty'

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Kendrick didn't need to call out underground rappers and he knew that. it's not like he namedropped any legends or modern day underground artists. the best lyricist he mentioned by name imo was Jay Electronica, with the rest of them ranging to okay (J Cole) to really detrimentally ****ty artists like Drake and Wale

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
the mainstream circle is what many primarily listen to. I think it's great that they were issued a challenge.

lots of underground dudes do have their own lane that's cool

you sound kinda bitter calling everyone that is mainstream relevant "****ty'
I didn't say that at all

I said every rapper that he called out is a pretty ****ty lyricist

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
really? jay e isnt a ****ty lyricist at all and big krits alright. while j cole and mac miller (especially the former) revert back to ****tiness occasionally they sometimes say **** worth hearing. was actually impressed by mac broadening his horizons on his newest album

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KpI3gM7Y3Sk

new jam from one of the most underappreciated rappers for whatever reason

Top Bottom