• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WoL World of Light "How do I Beat That Spirit?" Thread

Pyr

Smash Lord
I've been reading a ton of, "How do I beat that spirit challenge" messages everywhere, and I figured I'd give them a home here. Need some help? Post here.

Of course, please expect spoilers to the battles and events of World of Light.

Last edited:

Kairyu24

Smash Cadet
I'm still looking for a way to get past Rayman.

Sonic's agility and harassment opens me up to the assist trophy, and with the stamina there's little reprieve. It's quite hard to pin him down. Is this one best delayed until you have more characters to work with?

Anacybele

Smash Cadet
I barely beat that Sonic one myself. It was a pain in the ass.

I got extremely lucky on the ZSS/Boss one too, she suicided on me. lol

Now I can't get past the Ashley one that has the controls get mirrored. Which I think is dumb and such artificial difficulty it's cringeworthy. Power doesn't matter at all, the mirroring effect throws you off EXTREMELY easily because it happens at random with little warning.

The Viridi one is really hard too... Though I know I'm not powerful enough for it. Yet, the best spirits all seem to be locked behind these difficult battles, so I have no idea what to do. Maybe somehow, later on, some more strong ones will come my way.

Pyr

Smash Lord
I barely beat that Sonic one myself. It was a pain in the ***.

Now I can't get past the Ashley one that has the controls get mirrored. Which I think is dumb and such artificial difficulty it's cringeworthy. Power doesn't matter at all, the mirroring effect throws you off EXTREMELY easily because it happens at random with little warning.

The Viridi one is really hard too... Though I know I'm not powerful enough for it. Yet, the best spirits all seem to be locked behind these difficult battles, so I have no idea what to do. Maybe somehow, later on, some more strong ones will come my way.
For the Ashley one, there are a few spirits that specifically counter control switching. I can't remember where they are off the top of my head. I think one is right below the section that has the Button on the heart.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
real ****ing talk if you're having trouble with some bull**** spirits (rayman and viridi come to mind), find a spirit that gives you super armor and another that gives you a beam saber or a spirit that gives you an ore club and abuse those tasty ****ing armor frames on smashes

solves 80% of the mode

Anacybele

Smash Cadet
Oh okay, thanks for letting me know. I'll have to just find as many spirits as I can and hope I find the right ones.

Pyr

Smash Lord
real ****ing talk if you're having trouble with some bull**** spirits (rayman and viridi come to mind), find a spirit that gives you super armor and another that gives you a beam saber or a spirit that gives you an ore club and abuse those tasty ****ing armor frames on smashes

solves 80% of the mode
This is legit. The easiest one I found was the one directly north of Ice Climbers. It's a DK match and the Spirit is the Polar Bear from the IC series. Simple enough to win and will carry you through LITERALLY all non-Stamina matches. And maybe some of the stamina matches, too.

Anacybele

Smash Cadet
So how are you supposed to win this Dr. Wiley one I came across? Six metal Mega Mans and all have 100 HP while I barely have over 100. Is there some way to have more HP or something?

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Has anyone beaten the Fiora spirit battle? This one is hard LOL

Anacybele

Smash Cadet
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/345707847?t=19h07m41s

Looks like there is a bit of cheese that can be employed.
I don't have Captain Falcon or those spirits. Any other ideas?

I decided World of Light sucks though. Too many ridiculous battles with BS mechanics going on in them and no spirits that can help you. The battle that gets you the Jeff spirit for instance. I think this one may be seriously bugged, actually. I'm taking random damage all over the place to the point where I basically can't do anything and then I get KO'd quickly. Nothing is anywhere near me much of the time, so it's damage and getting KO'd out of completely nowhere.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
holy ****ing **** the pauline fight is pure and undiluted BULL****. ****ING BULL****. this ****ing fight is the goddamn worst, and sakurai is a ****ing moron for looking at this and say 'yeah that's fine'.

by ****ing herself, the target is hard enough to ****ing kill. but no, not enough there, we need to make sure you have 'fun'! FUN FUNFUN FUNFUNFUN so mario and dk decide to get involved. mario starts with a hammer and dk is perma-giant

by the way, the stage is 45m unaltered, meaning ladders, bull**** platforms, and the NAME PLATES COVERING THE BOTTOM ROW OF PLATFORMS GREAT STAGE DESIGN YOU ****ING HACK

if i could gold hammer a ****ing encounter it'd be this one. no spirit in the ****ing world helps you when the target does nothing but run and you've got a cool 90 seconds to punt her ass into the void. unless there's a spirit that gets rid of time limits

****ing christ sakurai, this battle's hard enough on its own.

bull**** platforming elements
superpowered enemy adds
time limit

MAYBE ONLY INCLUDE ONE OF THOSE NEXT TIME SAKURAI YOU ****ING ********

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Yeah, when it comes to a battle in WoL its either a super annoying battle like the Funky Kong-Bullet Bill spam or the Jeff Battle or a cool reference to one of the games. Like facing all the champions for BotW Zelda or The 5 Flying Men and Ness one (which is a brilliant homage to Ness' Magicant 'Courage'.) I definitely prefer the latter.
If its not one of those two thing the battle was either super easy or for some reason forgettable.

Mousen0908

Smash Rookie
For the Ashley one, there are a few spirits that specifically counter control switching. I can't remember where they are off the top of my head. I think one is right below the section that has the Button on the heart.
Marin is a spirit that nullifies reverse controls but requires 2 support spirit slots, does anyone know how I can get a 3rd support spirit slot?

Anacybele

Smash Cadet
A spirit that counters time limits would be nice, yeah... Only 90 seconds to KO Mii Viridi with a giant Kirby in your face as well? Seriously. :/

Something to counter...whatever the heck is going on in the Jeff battle would sure be great too. I want to think it's the assist trophy thing, and I have an assist killer spirit, but it doesn't really do much. It just makes you able to damage them more. But I can't even seem to get a chance to try getting rid of any.

Marin is a spirit that nullifies reverse controls but requires 2 support spirit slots, does anyone know how I can get a 3rd support spirit slot?
Don't know, I have Roy Campbell now who does the same effect, but also takes two slots.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Certain primary spirits have 3 slots for example Metal Gear Rex which is in the area where you unlock Snake also Andy from Advance Wars has 3 slots which is outside of that area as well.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
****ing god. pauline spirit battle is pure ****ing rng, have fun with that kiddos

you either get the stopwatches and they slow them (and not you!), bait peach near the edge of the blast zone and pray for a ko cause she's got some kind of bull**** launch resistance or something, or you flat out ****ing lose because you don't have time.

rng finally rolled in my favor so i won, hooray ****ty battle design

**** that **** man, so unfun

Mousen0908

Smash Rookie
Certain primary spirits have 3 slots for example Metal Gear Rex which is in the area where you unlock Snake also Andy from Advance Wars has 3 slots which is outside of that area as well.
Thanks so much, now have Yarn Yoshi equipped which has 3 slots, and 3 attack. Lifesaver! Can finally get past Ashley

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Thanks so much, now have Yarn Yoshi equipped which has 3 slots, and 3 attack. Lifesaver! Can finally get past Ashley
Yeah ashley took me a few tries even with controls not being reversed due to her assist trophy slowing me down to a snail's pace while Ridley was unimpeded. Not to mention it was on Warioware so lots if random hazards as well.Be careful of Ridley's side special during the trasition to the microgame sections of the stage, its pretty much a guarenteed loss if he lands it as he goes right off the blastzone with you dying first.

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
Hey guys. Broken Combo: Ore Club + infinite Smash Charge (skill tree, from Start: Left > Up > Left). You CANNOT be hit out of a charge. You need to be grabbed. It makes even things like the Rayman challenge trivial. Only requires 3 slots. Cyrus & Reese spirit gives it. Not sure where I got them though.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Brittany was giving me issues but that might just be because my power level was too low or something

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Honestly it seems like anytime there is a genuine Stamina match where it is more then 1v1, it is super hard for no reason. Right now I am stuck on Ana, and if NESS is in spamming PK Fire was not always there, it would be easy. Or you know, being able to use the characters I want...

Last edited:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Honestly it seems like anytime there is a genuine Stamina match where it is more then 1v1, it is super hard for no reason. Right now I am stuck on Ana, and if NESS is in spamming PK Fire was not always there, it would be easy. Or you know, being able to use the characters I want...
I recently faced off against the Affinity sprit, with 4 clones of Pit, and I did not know the stamina bar until my character reached 0. You may need to equip a high damage buff that should help drain the HP faster against the crowd.

Last edited:

McCree

Smash Cadet
I barely beat that Sonic one myself. It was a pain in the ***.

Holy ****ing ****, Boss is sooo extremely difficult, like I don't know if I'll ever be able to beat her

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I used Marth and counter spammed, eventually the hazards of the stage walled him out and KO'd Charizard as well.

Anacybele

Smash Cadet
Holy ****ing ****, Boss is sooo extremely difficult, like I don't know if I'll ever be able to beat her
Yeah, if you didn't get lucky like I did, you'll probably have trouble. I must say though, Boss has been a handy spirit to use!

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
holy ****ing **** the pauline fight is pure and undiluted BULL****. ****ING BULL****. this ****ing fight is the goddamn worst, and sakurai is a ****ing moron for looking at this and say 'yeah that's fine'.

by ****ing herself, the target is hard enough to ****ing kill. but no, not enough there, we need to make sure you have 'fun'! FUN FUNFUN FUNFUNFUN so mario and dk decide to get involved. mario starts with a hammer and dk is perma-giant

by the way, the stage is 45m unaltered, meaning ladders, bull**** platforms, and the NAME PLATES COVERING THE BOTTOM ROW OF PLATFORMS GREAT STAGE DESIGN YOU ****ING HACK

if i could gold hammer a ****ing encounter it'd be this one. no spirit in the ****ing world helps you when the target does nothing but run and you've got a cool 90 seconds to punt her *** into the void. unless there's a spirit that gets rid of time limits

superpowered enemy adds
time limit

Jeez dude, tone down on all the swears. Like, I can't even understand what your saying because of all of them.

WerdoPerson

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4786-2190-0811
I’m confused. I can’t beat the area that you unlock Zelda in (just found out it’s called “Sacred Land” World Of Darkness). It’s in one of the portals in the dark void. Pls help. Cab someone please inform me on how to beat it?

Last edited:

DotEra

Smash Rookie
Yeah, when it comes to a battle in WoL its either a super annoying battle like the Funky Kong-Bullet Bill spam or the Jeff Battle or a cool reference to one of the games. Like facing all the champions for BotW Zelda or The 5 Flying Men and Ness one (which is a brilliant homage to Ness' Magicant 'Courage'.) I definitely prefer the latter.
If its not one of those two thing the battle was either super easy or for some reason forgettable.
How do i do that one with funky kong bullet spam if i cant find away imma actually round house kick my switch off the burj khalifa

Anacybele

Smash Cadet
Jeez dude, tone down on all the swears. Like, I can't even understand what your saying because of all of them.
He could tone it down, yeah. But honestly...he's right. This is just pisspoor stage design. part of it really IS obscured by the damn icons at the bottom of the screen. I keep suiciding because I just CAN'T SEE WHERE I'M AT THERE. :/ This battle really is BS. They throw a timer in it too and there's no way to counter that. You don't have enough time at all to kill Peach, mainly because she just runs from you and you have to navigate this ****ty stage. It wouldn't be quite as bad if the stage wasn't so awful.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
How do i do that one with funky kong bullet spam if i cant find away imma actually round house kick my switch off the burj khalifa
The best advice I can give is try to grab the items before the kongs. Playing as a character who can take a few hits help as well.

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
Heads up on the Wiley one, where you fight a crap ton of metal Megamans all spamming projectiles. I had success with Fox, staying away from them and spamming neutral B. It should come as no surprise that any spirit giving you a projectile reflector ability at the start of battle is an asset as well.

1FC0

Smash Lord

if i could gold hammer a ****ing encounter it'd be this one. no spirit in the ****ing world helps you when the target does nothing but run and you've got a cool 90 seconds to punt her *** into the void. unless there's a spirit that gets rid of time limits

superpowered enemy adds
time limit

Agreed. The Pauline one is very stupid. Sometimes I even die because I cannot see the lower part of the stage due to the name plates.

WerdoPerson

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4786-2190-0811
I’m confused. I can’t beat the area that you unlock Zelda in (just found out it’s called “Sacred Land” World Of Darkness). It’s in one of the portals in the dark void. Pls help. Cab someone please inform me on how to beat it?
I finally found something online, but defeating Zelda didn’t open up any path to defeat Cloud. Is my game messed up??? Do I have to start over????

Last edited:

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
Also oof, yikes, that Pauline one. I see what you guys are talking about, haha. I managed to beat it normal, but I will say she seems easiest to hit right off the bat. So maybe try rushing her down with a character like Bowser and edge guard her, speccing for maximum chance to kill her in the first few seconds? (Hyper Smash and stuff)

Top Bottom