• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Working Model Falco Lab Tech Notes

Atlas1125

Smash Rookie
Hello fellow birbs! I'm Atlas and a falco main in the MDVA region. Recently i've decided that being stuck on this plateau isn't so enjoyable so i'm starting to put more investment into melee and understanding it. I've never been much of the lab rat, rather than just a guy who enjoys friendlies and going 1-2 at my local. But with this newfound spark to get better i've realized that alongside going to tourneys consistently, analysis, etc. being in the lab to stay consist with your tech is another crucial aspect of growth. I've been making lab notes and practice routine to help structure my training and I wanted to get some feedback and assistance from the community so I made a smashboards account today and i'll finally join in on the melee discussions. Please feel free to criticize, mention things I could add, or whatever works best for you guys! Thank you!

Falco Lab Tech
"What if? We could ALWAYS be schmoovin?"

DO NOT PLAY SMASHLADDER UNTIL YOU FINISH YOUR HOMEWORK BELOW

1.Wavedashes, Wavelands, Move around the stage creatively
-mix in various sequences (ex. 1.full hop wland to side plat, 2. dj wland to other side plat, 3. perfect wland to top plat)
-waveland between platforms (wland off top to waveland off side plat, etc.)
(maybe throw in lasers)

2.Lasers
*throw in various movement options with lasers (WD, DD, Wlands)
-SH fastfall laser
-SH no fastball laser
-Laser off platform (single and double)
-Laser through platform (sdrop laser)
-full hop cover all heights (full hop laser top plat, falling laser cover side plat, fall through plat cover ground)
-retreating laser
-run off ledge, dj double laser (edgeguarding)

3.Ledge options
-double laser
-single laser
*(get in various laser heights)
-firebird stall** (shine-firebird MIGHT be better idk)
-LEDGEDASH***

4.Shine tech
-double shine*
--multishine if you have the cojones
-shinegrab
-waveshine (practice crossing up)
-shine waveland (get shine hitbox on opponent on plat)

20XX =>

5.20xx Shield pressure
**Pause, down d-pad, set cpu to hold shield, A+dpad down=infinite shield
-low aerials on shield (mix up blockstrings, ex. aerial, shine, waveshine, different aerial, shinegrab, etc.)
-double shine**
-various laser approaches (the lower the laser the better)
-shine grab
-waveshine crossup
-space aerials on shield to avoid being punished oos (particularly nair and bair)

6.20xx Defense practice
-Against various characters,
record enemy doing an approaching move (s-hop aerial, grab, running shine, etc.)
counter it with --
--DD whiff punish, stuff approach with your own aerial (SH nair, SH dair, SH fair etc.),
--laser before hitbox comes out, shield (shine oos, shieldgrab)

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I did the exact same thing. I went ahad and created a discord server to have a place to collect, format and edit the list.
If you're interested I can give you a link. There is noone on there except me. It's not meant for discussion

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
It's important to know why you are practicing each piece of tech you practice. Tech should be practiced with implementation of the tech in mind. If you don't know why and when to use something you have practiced, it will be of little help to you. This is why critical thinking is such an important skill in melee.

You mention double jump wave land to top platform. Need in mind on battlefield it is faster to simply full hop. You'll no impact land and be actionable faster than a wave land.

Illuminus

Smash Rookie
It's important to know why you are practicing each piece of tech you practice. Tech should be practiced with implementation of the tech in mind. If you don't know why and when to use something you have practiced, it will be of little help to you. This is why critical thinking is such an important skill in melee.

You mention double jump wave land to top platform. Need in mind on battlefield it is faster to simply full hop. You'll no impact land and be actionable faster than a wave land.

I'm not sure if if the is true, I believe dj has faster rising speed the fullhop, so you may get there quicker. I am not sure though, but it definitely feels faster and you get more control on drift. I can see certain uptilt punishes being possible with fullhop no impact land.

Atlas your practice regiment seems good the only two things I think are valuable is something I like the call combo complexity warm-ups.

I'll start on FD and combo a fox till my basics are warmed up (try for continued 0 to death strings with many as many extensions as possible I consider that my base combo game. Then I move to stadium and try to extend the same combos using the side platforms. After that I move to battlefield and use the whole stage. It feels really good to warmup punish like that.

The other thing is to not neglect is stage specific tech.

Yoshi's: Scar jump, no pact land, invincible platform Waveland ledge regrabs etc.

FoD: T drops and low platform aerial pressure and jump timing etc.

Last edited:

flyboy__

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if if the is true, I believe dj has faster rising speed the fullhop, so you may get there quicker. I am not sure though, but it definitely feels faster and you get more control on drift. I can see certain uptilt punishes being possible with fullhop no impact land.
might be late on this one, but want to put out there that YES fh -> laser -> nil is the absolute fastest way to combo from mainstage to top flatform. If you're sick, you can hold the stick up after you laser to have an easy uptilt input.

Jigsaw1

Smash Rookie
Looks like a good warmup routine!
I think shine turnaround aerial / shine turnaround up B at the ledge could be added to the list.

Last edited:
Top Bottom