• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress Perfect setups (TV/monitor, console, capture device)

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
Should downscaling analog->analog theoretically take as much time as upscaling analog->analog, or might it be less?
'Line-halving' (which is a term I'm pretty sure I just made up) could actually theoretically be done in real time. Anything more involved, again, involving interpolation requires a buffer, at least two scan lines at whatever the original scan rate is.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Interesting, seems to be great value for that price. You mixed up component with composite though; YPbPr is the same as component, while composite is the yellow abundant cable with bad video quality.

I think usually the propagation delay from the spec sheet is for same output as input. I don’t think upscaling can be done in 20 ns, but < 1 ms is still very likely.

How do you set the output resolution? Is there a toggle between set scaling and unprocessed (same output as input)?
You're right, I typed Component instead of Composite. I think I got them mixed up by typing YPbPr, which is something I never do.
Judging by other Extron products, I would assume upscaling is very low delay. Not that Melee requires it with Component or VGA cables.
The picture I posted is the back of the unit; the front has lots of buttons and a small LCD status display. That's how you tell it what to transcode, and to what.

I'm gonna buy one of these
Please do, and report here when it arrives! I'm personally waiting to get one until I pick up an XCAPTURE-1, but I'm a little short on cash at the moment, so it'll be a while.

Phil Matic

Smash Rookie
So forgive me if I missed the info I'm looking for, but I did my best to look through all the pages so far for an answer. Anyway, I have some questions.

Buying a PVM/BVM is pretty much out of the question for me, considering the price. If I happen to find one of the ones mentioned here on Craigslist and for cheap, best believe I'll get it. Oh, I also have Gamecube Component cables btw.

Anyway, I saw that CRT PC monitors seem to be the absolute best option? Unless I read that chart wrong. Anyway, would using the StarTech CPNT2VGAA Component to VGA all that is necessary to play melee on any CRT PC monitor in 480p? Would it be lag free? If that's so, I can totally find a CRT PC monitor nearly anywhere for cheap for free, and I won't mind coughing up the money for the adapter.

Also, I've seen some CRT PC monitors that have RGB BNC inputs. Assuming BNC to RCA adapters are used, could we simply just plug in the gamecube component into the back and play?

http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/hardforum/DSCF0557.jpg

This isn't my picture, it's just one I found on the web. It has the RGB inputs on the back, and to my knowledge, CRT PC monitors always are able to display 480p correct? So I figured simply connecting the component cables through BNC to RCA should suffice?

Kadano

Magical Express
Anyway, I saw that CRT PC monitors seem to be the absolute best option? Unless I read that chart wrong.
PVMs (and similar CRTs) are about equal in image quality and lag. Perhaps even better, because they are usually made for exactly Melee’s resolution (480p60), while PC CRT monitors are usually geared towards 1200p85.
This results in PC CRTs having more of a scan-line / sharp look, while PVMs look more “uniform”.
I have both and kind of prefer the PC CRTs, because they are quieter, but really both are perfectly fine and much better than the abundant 480i60 TVs.

Anyway, would using the StarTech CPNT2VGAA Component to VGA all that is necessary to play melee on any CRT PC monitor in 480p? Would it be lag free? If that's so, I can totally find a CRT PC monitor nearly anywhere for cheap for free, and I won't mind coughing up the money for the adapter.
That device is not the state-of-the-art for component→VGA conversion. I wrote a review on the Extron CVC 200 on page 3 or something here, and I really recommend that one, especially considering it’s often on Ebay for ~20$ in the USA.

But, yes, using Wii component cables and an Extron CVC 200 (+ a 5-BNC to 5-BNC or 5-BNC to VGA cable) will allow you to connect to any PC CRT and play on that just fine.

Also, I've seen some CRT PC monitors that have RGB BNC inputs. Assuming BNC to RCA adapters are used, could we simply just plug in the gamecube component into the back and play?

http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/hardforum/DSCF0557.jpg

This isn't my picture, it's just one I found on the web. It has the RGB inputs on the back, and to my knowledge, CRT PC monitors always are able to display 480p correct? So I figured simply connecting the component cables through BNC to RCA should suffice?
The BNC inputs on PC CRTs expect standard RGBHV video. Most of them accept RGsB too. But there is no way to get the Wii to output one of these through the component cables (with 3-RCA connectors); that one will always output YPbPr. (Sync is sent on Y channel.)

You do get a picture by connecting the Wii component cable, but there will be green tint. I was not able to find example pics on the internet, so I hooked up my Wii to my Mitsubishi 2070SB directly and made photographs. The green tint is a bit less pronounced than in real life due to automatic white balance that seems like it can’t be disabled entirely.

Why is that, you may ask?
To put it short, if we have a gray color, in RGB it would be about:
G 0.5
B 0.5
R 0.5

While in YPbPr, it would be:
Y 0.5 (total brightness)
Pb 0 (positives denote blue shift, negatives denote yellow shift)
Pr 0 (positives denote red shift, negatives denote green shift)

Now what happens is that the Wii component line that carries sync is the Y one, so by connecting that to the CRT green line, it will read a higher offset for that color than for the other dimensions. The CRT assumes the YPbPr values to be GBR values, so all near-grayscale colors are interpreted as green.

If you are okay with that much green tint, sure, just buy the adapters and make the connections. But I think the 20-30$ for an Extron CVC 200 to get proper colors are easily worth it.

Here’s a picture of a high-res CRT PC monitor with 480p Melee (from Gamecube here, but Wii+CVC200 looks ~95% identical) where you can see the scanlines when viewed in full-res:

Here is a Sony PVM, for comparison:

(For this one, I cranked up brightness and contrast all the way so that with lowest camera ISO setting the picture is still distinct enough.)

Last edited:

Phil Matic

Smash Rookie
PVMs (and similar CRTs) are about equal in image quality and lag. Perhaps even better, because they are usually made for exactly Melee’s resolution (480p60), while PC CRT monitors are usually geared towards 1200p85.
This results in PC CRTs having more of a scan-line / sharp look, while PVMs look more “uniform”.
I have both and kind of prefer the PC CRTs, because they are quieter, but really both are perfectly fine and much better than the abundant 480i60 TVs.

That device is not the state-of-the-art for component→VGA conversion. I wrote a review on the Extron CVC 200 on page 3 or something here, and I really recommend that one, especially considering it’s often on Ebay for ~20$ in the USA.

But, yes, using Wii component cables and an Extron CVC 200 (+ a 5-BNC to 5-BNC or 5-BNC to VGA cable) will allow you to connect to any PC CRT and play on that just fine.

The BNC inputs on PC CRTs expect standard RGBHV video. Most of them accept RGsB too. But there is no way to get the Wii to output one of these through the component cables (with 3-RCA connectors); that one will always output YPbPr. (Sync is sent on Y channel.)

You do get a picture by connecting the Wii component cable, but there will be green tint. I was not able to find example pics on the internet, so I hooked up my Wii to my Mitsubishi 2070SB directly and made photographs. The green tint is a bit less pronounced than in real life due to automatic white balance that seems like it can’t be disabled entirely.

Why is that, you may ask?
To put it short, if we have a gray color, in RGB it would be about:
G 0.5
B 0.5
R 0.5

While in YPbPr, it would be:
Y 0.5 (total brightness)
Pb 0 (positives denote blue shift, negatives denote yellow shift)
Pr 0 (positives denote red shift, negatives denote green shift)

Now what happens is that the Wii component line that carries sync is the Y one, so by connecting that to the CRT green line, it will read a higher offset for that color than for the other dimensions. The CRT assumes the YPbPr values to be GBR values, so all near-grayscale colors are interpreted as green.

If you are okay with that much green tint, sure, just buy the adapters and make the connections. But I think the 20-30$ for an Extron CVC 200 to get proper colors are easily worth it.

Here’s a picture of a high-res CRT PC monitor with 480p Melee (from Gamecube here, but Wii+CVC200 looks ~95% identical) where you can see the scanlines when viewed in full-res:

Here is a Sony PVM, for comparison:

(For this one, I cranked up brightness and contrast all the way so that with lowest camera ISO setting the picture is still distinct enough; in real-life, the colors on the CRT PC monitor are almost identical when viewed side-by-side. Also, I took these pictures on different days and times, so the lightning was different, causing some change in color white balance too.)
So since CRT PCs display in 480p... does that mean it can't display in 480i or less? I'm wondering in case I want to play other games that don't output 480p.

How exactly does an Extron CVC 200 work? I've never seen one until now and I have a basic idea of it, but I'd like the gaps to be filled in lol.

The CRT PCs with BNC inputs... you mention that the Wii component cables make it have that green tint... would that change at all if I used Gamecube component cables?

Kadano

Magical Express
So since CRT PCs display in 480p... does that mean it can't display in 480i or less? I'm wondering in case I want to play other games that don't output 480p.
Yes, PC CRTs only take 480p60 and higher, not 480i60.

How exactly does an Extron CVC 200 work? I've never seen one until now and I have a basic idea of it, but I'd like the gaps to be filled in lol.
Have you read my review on it on page 4?

The CRT PCs with BNC inputs... you mention that the Wii component cables make it have that green tint... would that change at all if I used Gamecube component cables?
No. It’s due to the signal format, which is also YPbPr on Gamecube component cables. The only difference is if you modify the chip in the cables, which is only within Gamecube cables, you can get it to output RGBHV directly. But at ~200$ for the Gamecube component cables, this won’t exactly be cheap, and if you’ve never soldered before, the cable mod isn’t that easy.

Phil Matic

Smash Rookie
Yes, PC CRTs only take 480p60 and higher, not 480i60.

Have you read my review on it on page 4?

No. It’s due to the signal format, which is also YPbPr on Gamecube component cables. The only difference is if you modify the chip in the cables, which is only within Gamecube cables, you can get it to output RGBHV directly. But at ~200$ for the Gamecube component cables, this won’t exactly be cheap, and if you’ve never soldered before, the cable mod isn’t that easy.
Damn, that sucks. So pretty much, if I were to use this CRT setup, I'm limited to only playing games that run in progressive scan. I don't have as much variety as to what I can play compared to the PVM/BVM, which can play lower than 480p, correct? Now I'm starting to feel even more content with my 480i Sony Wega.

I just read the review. Amazing stuff. Thanks for all the detail.

I actually have a Gamecube component cable. I bought it from an Australian seller on eBay for ~$170. I won't dare modify something I spent that much money on. I'd rather just save up and buy a BVM than risk ruining the Gamecube component cables.

Kadano

Magical Express
So pretty much, if I were to use this CRT setup, I'm limited to only playing games that run in progressive scan. I don't have as much variety as to what I can play compared to the PVM/BVM, which can play lower than 480p, correct?
Yeah, unfortunately. Which games do you play that don’t do 480p?

Phil Matic

Smash Rookie
So I happened to find a CRT tv that has component inputs with progressive scan. Is it worth it for me to pick it up?

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
Absolutely

EDIT: well I mean, within reason. Sony PVMs can be got for a couple hundred dollars so don't pay more than that

Last edited:

Phil Matic

Smash Rookie
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F2R5I8/ref

So I'm currently looking at a TV just like this on Craigslist. It is a CRT, is "slimmer" and it has component which states can do progressive scan. My question is... how good is progressive scan on here compared to a PVM/BVM? If it's worth it, I'd love to pick it up. Guy selling it isn't asking for much either.

Kadano

Magical Express
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F2R5I8/ref

So I'm currently looking at a TV just like this on Craigslist. It is a CRT, is "slimmer" and it has component which states can do progressive scan. My question is... how good is progressive scan on here compared to a PVM/BVM? If it's worth it, I'd love to pick it up. Guy selling it isn't asking for much either.
From the looks and the description of that TV, it seems very likely to me that it has noticeable lag.

If I was in your position, I’d ask the seller if it’s okay to bring a console with me and test the TV at his place.

Phil Matic

Smash Rookie
From the looks and the description of that TV, it seems very likely to me that it has noticeable lag.

If I was in your position, I’d ask the seller if it’s okay to bring a console with me and test the TV at his place.
Assuming it doesn't lag, would you believe that the picture quality would be similar to a PVM/BVM? Or at least close?

Anyone have experience with these CRT TVs that have progressive scan? I'm wondering if I should settle for one of these or just cough up the money and get myself a BVM.

Kadano

Magical Express
Assuming it doesn't lag, would you believe that the picture quality would be similar to a PVM/BVM? Or at least close?

Anyone have experience with these CRT TVs that have progressive scan? I'm wondering if I should settle for one of these or just cough up the money and get myself a BVM.
Amazon description:
"While this set only displays video in the analog 480i (interlaced) format"

It doesn’t even display in progressive scan. Skip it and save up for a PVM, or go for the VGA route I explained in the OP.

Last edited:

Phil Matic

Smash Rookie
Amazon description:
"While this set only displays video in the analog 480i (interlaced) format"

It doesn’t even display in progressive scan. Skip it and save up for a PVM, or go for the VGA route I explained in the OP.
Well that's misleading then, because the one TV I saw on Craigslist (Not sure if it's the exact same one but looked very similar to it) had component inputs that said "progressive scan" on them.

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know anything about the sewell Wii/Ps3 VGA cables? (The ones shown in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArIj-EUlevI). Do they black out like the Mayflash ones?

Edit: Nevermind, link diving from the description of that video shows it's the same bloody cable.

Edit 2: So reading Kadano's german page, it seems like a relatively trivial mod to make the mayflash cables/component to vga converters stop blacking out (single cap replacement is a 2 minute job). Did I understand right in other posts that you couldn't just split the VGA from these cables (using a distributor/amplified splitter) and send one to a vga capture card? (Wrong format or something?)

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
Does anyone know anything about the sewell Wii/Ps3 VGA cables? (The ones shown in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArIj-EUlevI). Do they black out like the Mayflash ones?

Edit: Nevermind, link diving from the description of that video shows it's the same bloody cable.

Edit 2: So reading Kadano's german page, it seems like a relatively trivial mod to make the mayflash cables/component to vga converters stop blacking out (single cap replacement is a 2 minute job). Did I understand right in other posts that you couldn't just split the VGA from these cables (using a distributor/amplified splitter) and send one to a vga capture card? (Wrong format or something?)
I had the blacking out problem even after re-capping. But it’s possible that I made an error—my PCB had a different layout than the one in the German reference, and I also wasn’t able to get just the asked cap specs in the local hardware shop.

This was a year ago though, I haven’t used the two cables I have much since (because component to Extron CVC 200 worked much better). Please let me / us know if you manage to re-cap and stop the blacking out here.

OninO

Smash Journeyman
It's not clear to me whether the mayflash converter I linked in the post above converts to RGB at all? If it doesn't, would it not be possible to use a VGA splitter amp (1 to 2) and a simple VGA to component cable into a component capture card for a pretty cheap recording setup?

Kadano

Magical Express
It's not clear to me whether the mayflash converter I linked in the post above converts to RGB at all? If it doesn't, would it not be possible to use a VGA splitter amp (1 to 2) and a simple VGA to component cable into a component capture card for a pretty cheap recording setup?
Of course a YPbPr→RGBHV converter converts to RGB. I have that one too, but it also has blacking out problems.

Using VGA distribution amplifiers with YPbPr signals is possible mostly. I know for sure that for example the Extron DA4xi supports YPbPr signals on its VGA connectors.

DaRkStRiDeR2

Smash Cadet
I have the opportunity to obtain a Sony PVM 20L5 (w/ an Extron per your recommendation) because I'd like to have a non-Dolphin 480p60 Melee setup (on Wii) in addition to the Dolphin Melee setup I already have with a CRT monitor (19" ViewSonic Ultrabrite a91f+ hooked up via mini-display port adapter to a Macbook Pro). However, to minimize space, I ideally want to use the PVM for both setups (keep in mind, I don't intend to do any streaming or recording on these).

I'm aware my fallback of course is getting just an Extron 100/200/300 , the necessary adapters, and a VGA switch to achieve my goal with my CRT monitor. My question is, is it worth it to going for the PVM for my setup if I only use it to play Melee (Wii and Dolphin)? Are there any limitations of PVMs connectivity/compatability to my computer in terms over the CRT monitor I have (right now it doing 800x600 resolution at 120hz).

Kadano

Magical Express
I have the opportunity to obtain a Sony PVM 20L5 (w/ an Extron per your recommendation) because I'd like to have a non-Dolphin 480p60 Melee setup (on Wii) in addition to the Dolphin Melee setup I already have with a CRT monitor (19" ViewSonic Ultrabrite a91f+ hooked up via mini-display port adapter to a Macbook Pro). However, to minimize space, I ideally want to use the PVM for both setups (keep in mind, I don't intend to do any streaming or recording on these).

I'm aware my fallback of course is getting just an Extron 100/200/300 , the necessary adapters, and a VGA switch to achieve my goal with my CRT monitor. My question is, is it worth it to going for the PVM for my setup if I only use it to play Melee (Wii and Dolphin)? Are there any limitations of PVMs connectivity/compatability to my computer in terms over the CRT monitor I have (right now it doing 800x600 resolution at 120hz).
If the CRT monitor you already have is in good condition, I’d say that it isn’t worth it to go for the PVM. The PVM-20L5 can only do up to 45 khz horizontal scan rate, whereas your A91F+ can do up to 86 khz. Furthermore, the PVM-20L5 only accepts common broadcast resolutions (PAL, 480i60, 480p60, 1080i60 and 720p60). So it wouldn’t even be able to do 800x600 at more than 60 hz (even at just 60 hz I wouldn’t bet on it).

So if you get the PVM, you’d still want to keep the A91F+ anyway. Also, since you have no intention of streaming or recording, the cheap Mayflash (or knockoff) VGA cables for 20$ should be sufficient anyway. I’m not sure which VGA switches they work with (they didn’t work with my Extron MVX 84 matrix switcher / distribution amplifier directly), but I’m guessing if it’s a purely analog / mechanical switch, there shouldn’t be a problem. (Even if there is, an Extron RGB interface, the 164xi for example, will definitely clean the signal enough to make the output suited for the switch and cost less than the Extron CVC converters.)

However, if you are able to find an Extron CVC for a good price (<80$ in my opinion), I’d recommend going for that immediately.

DaRkStRiDeR2

Smash Cadet
Thanks for replying Kadano.

If the CRT monitor you already have is in good condition, I’d say that it isn’t worth it to go for the PVM. The PVM-20L5 can only do up to 45 khz horizontal scan rate, whereas your A91F+ can do up to 86 khz. Furthermore, the PVM-20L5 only accepts common broadcast resolutions (PAL, 480i60, 480p60, 1080i60 and 720p60). So it wouldn’t even be able to do 800x600 at more than 60 hz (even at just 60 hz I wouldn’t bet on it).
I guess what I really want to know before pulling out the wallet for the PVM-20L5 if the PVM would be able to even display as external monitor (e.g: extended screen) for my Macbook Pro like my A91F+ is doing currently. In addition, maybe you can enlighten me here:
  • Via the MiniDisplayport->VGA adapter, my Macbook gives me the options of 1280x1024 (which the display works at @60/75hz and 800x600 @60/75/85/80/96/100/120hz. Based on the A91F+ spec, is looks like it doesn't support resolutions at rates higher than 85hz. It also says it supports 1024 x 768 and 1600 x 1200, but my Macbook doesn't have that option. My questions are: Is that the Macbook or the DisplayPort->VGA simply determining what resolutions the Macbook can input into the monitor? Is the capabilities of computer the reason that the A91F+ can display at a 120hz refresh rate (way beyound what the spec says)?
  • When it comes to Melee via Dolphin via Fullscreening, by eyeballing between the 2 resolutions (1280x1024 at 60hz vs 800x600 @ 120hz), I feel faster response at the latter, but didn't feel there was a graphical difference in fullscreen Dolphin Melee for screen resolution (1280x1024 looks the same as 800x600). Is that just Dolphin just adjusting and scaling accordingly? Assuming that the PVM will display my Macbook as an external monitor at 480p/60, should I expect a graphical difference in quality.
So if you get the PVM, you’d still want to keep the A91F+ anyway. Also, since you have no intention of streaming or recording, the cheap Mayflash (or knockoff) VGA cables for 20$ should be sufficient anyway. I’m not sure which VGA switches they work with (they didn’t work with my Extron MVX 84 matrix switcher / distribution amplifier directly), but I’m guessing if it’s a purely analog / mechanical switch, there shouldn’t be a problem. (Even if there is, an Extron RGB interface, the 164xi for example, will definitely clean the signal enough to make the output suited for the switch and cost less than the Extron CVC converters.)

However, if you are able to find an Extron CVC for a good price (<80$ in my opinion), I’d recommend going for that immediately.
Reason why I going for a CVC if it's reasonably priced is because I returned a Mayflash Wii->VGA cable I bought only worked for like 4 seconds (Saw the wii loading) before the A91F+ blacked out with 'Frequency over Range' with the Wii settings at EDTV/HDTV (480p); and it hasn't displayed anything since. Googling a bit and reading reviews, it sounded like I may have just a cheap cable and need something with stable better quality; hence I'm hoping an Extron would help me get a Wii onto at least the A91F+.

It's not a dealbreaker if my Macbook can't display on the PVM as the A91F+ is in very good condition; If I get the PVM at a great price, I'd want it anyways for the offline Melee setup. It's really a matter of saving space.

Kadano

Magical Express
Thanks for replying Kadano.

I guess what I really want to know before pulling out the wallet for the PVM-20L5 if the PVM would be able to even display as external monitor (e.g: extended screen) for my Macbook Pro like my A91F+ is doing currently. In addition, maybe you can enlighten me here:
  • Via the MiniDisplayport->VGA adapter, my Macbook gives me the options of 1280x1024 (which the display works at @60/75hz and 800x600 @60/75/85/80/96/100/120hz. Based on the A91F+ spec, is looks like it doesn't support resolutions at rates higher than 85hz. It also says it supports 1024 x 768 and 1600 x 1200, but my Macbook doesn't have that option. My questions are: Is that the Macbook or the DisplayPort->VGA simply determining what resolutions the Macbook can input into the monitor? Is the capabilities of computer the reason that the A91F+ can display at a 120hz refresh rate (way beyound what the spec says)?
  • When it comes to Melee via Dolphin via Fullscreening, by eyeballing between the 2 resolutions (1280x1024 at 60hz vs 800x600 @ 120hz), I feel faster response at the latter, but didn't feel there was a graphical difference in fullscreen Dolphin Melee for screen resolution (1280x1024 looks the same as 800x600). Is that just Dolphin just adjusting and scaling accordingly? Assuming that the PVM will display my Macbook as an external monitor at 480p/60, should I expect a graphical difference in quality.

Reason why I going for a CVC if it's reasonably priced is because I returned a Mayflash Wii->VGA cable I bought only worked for like 4 seconds (Saw the wii loading) before the A91F+ blacked out with 'Frequency over Range' with the Wii settings at EDTV/HDTV (480p); and it hasn't displayed anything since. Googling a bit and reading reviews, it sounded like I may have just a cheap cable and need something with stable better quality; hence I'm hoping an Extron would help me get a Wii onto at least the A91F+.

It's not a dealbreaker if my Macbook can't display on the PVM as the A91F+ is in very good condition; If I get the PVM at a great price, I'd want it anyways for the offline Melee setup. It's really a matter of saving space.
The PVM will only take composite sync, which means that you'd have to connect the VGA output from the DP adapter to an RGBHV breakout cable and connect the H and V sync signals to a Csync converter (iirc quite easy to build these yourself, but I've never needed one) before plugging it into the PVM's external sync input slot.

And again, even then, the highest resolution from your computer you'd be able to display on it is 1280x720p60.

About the issue with the DP-VGA resolution limits: I've tried to get higher resolutions from these adapters too, albeit on Windows, and unfortunately they can't do as high pixel rates as native VGA ports. (About 160 MHz instead of 400.)
On Windows, I was able to force non-standard resolutions with Custom Resolution Utility, but I don't know if there's something similar for Mac. I think 1600x1200p80 was about the maximum I got without display problems, but I can test again when I get home.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Quick question about modding the GC D-Terminal or Component cable: If you just change the pin configuration to output RGB, will it output RGsB (or RsGsBs) over the component plugs? Or is it absolutely necessary to connect both sync lines over VGA?
I'd just go for a CVC 200 if I could, but eBay prices right now are ridiculous.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
Quick question about modding the GC D-Terminal or Component cable: If you just change the pin configuration to output RGB, will it output RGsB (or RsGsBs) over the component plugs? Or is it absolutely necessary to connect both sync lines over VGA?
I'd just go for a CVC 200 if I could, but eBay prices right now are ridiculous.
Switching to RGBHV output will turn off the sync signal on the Y line. So yes, you do need to change the connector with H and V wires connected (and the entire cable if you use component, D-Terminal already has spare cables inside you can use).

Yeah, I should have bought the one for 10$ + shipping when it was available, so that I could send it to you now. I just thought that if I shared it on Twitter, someone from the community in USA would buy it … idk why nobody did. That deal was the equivalent to getting a Gamecube component cable for 10$.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ptpbG707luH/p_305TXP3275/Samsung-TX-P3275H.html

Saw a TV like this on Craigslist, but the guy is asking a ridiculous price. Would this work for 480p? I just ask because I had a samsung that was EDTV before and it still wouldn't run progressive scan.
"2 rear-panel HD-compatible component video
(accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)"

So yeah, it would take 480p. I’d say 200$ is the highest somewhat reasonable price for it, and I’d definitely bring a setup and playtest it for lag at the seller’s place. Don’t buy it if he refuses that.

These late-end CRT TVs often have digital processing on regardless of input format and resolution, so there is a chance that it will lag even on 480p. At that size, it’s definitely worth the try, so I say playtest it at least.

Last edited:

Phil Matic

Smash Rookie
"2 rear-panel HD-compatible component video
(accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)"

So yeah, it would take 480p. I’d say 200$ is the highest somewhat reasonable price for it, and I’d definitely bring a setup and playtest it for lag at the seller’s place. Don’t buy it if he refuses that.

These late-end CRT TVs often have digital processing on regardless of input format and resolution, so there is a chance that it will lag even on 480p. At that size, it’s definitely worth the try, so I say playtest it at least.
It's still worth $200 even though it's a CRT? I wouldn't even pay more than $100 for a BVM lol. But man, price isn't really the issue, what's really holding me back is the size. I really don't want a TV that big anymore. The biggest size TV I'd like is 20 inches. 13-17 is ideal for me though. I don't like the look of a bulky tv in my room lol.

Kadano

Magical Express
It's still worth $200 even though it's a CRT? I wouldn't even pay more than $100 for a BVM lol. But man, price isn't really the issue, what's really holding me back is the size. I really don't want a TV that big anymore. The biggest size TV I'd like is 20 inches. 13-17 is ideal for me though. I don't like the look of a bulky tv in my room lol.
Well, if you don’t want a 32" CRT, then don’t buy it. It’s just that if you *are* looking for a 32" CRT (and don’t want 20" or less), it’s unlikely you’ll find one that does 480p in good condition for less than 200$.

If you want a 20", just get a PVM-20L5 (if you find one for cheap) or a standard PC CRT monitor (+ VGA cables or Extron CVC with component cables and BNC adapters).

KruzzSpud

Smash Rookie
Just skimmed thru this whole thread. I'm looking to get a 480p setup just to play on. No streaming.
I want to go the PC CRT route. I have a GameCube with the component port and Wii. What else do I need? I want the cheapest and nonlaggiest option

DaRkStRiDeR2

Smash Cadet
Anyone here who has a PVM can help me setup my wii (480p/60)? I just got the PVM 20L5, however when I plug my wii via the Official Wii Component Cable to the Y/G,Pb/B,Pr/R via BNC adapters (no Ext Sync) but I get Black and White images. It also seems that B and R inputs aren't doing anything to the picture (I pulled them out with G left plugged in). Is there some setting I'm missing that allows me to get color?

Kadano

Magical Express
Anyone here who has a PVM can help me setup my wii (480p/60)? I just got the PVM 20L5, however when I plug my wii via the Official Wii Component Cable to the Y/G,Pb/B,Pr/R via BNC adapters (no Ext Sync) but I get Black and White images. It also seems that B and R inputs aren't doing anything to the picture (I pulled them out with G left plugged in). Is there some setting I'm missing that allows me to get color?
Did you set your PVM to "COMP –SYNC ON Y"? If it's set to "RGB –SYNC ON G", it might not take the color channels correctly. Although I'd expect that even then it would be in (wrong) colors, not grayscale. I have a different PVM though, so maybe you have some chrominance setting somewhere that's turned to zero? (A chroma knob on the front panel, for example.)
I'm looking for the cheapest option. Would I be able to mod the Wii component cable into a VGA one?
No, that’s not possible. You can buy a Wii VGA cable instead for 20$, but the picture quality will not be quite as good as with an Extron CVC. (Still much better than 480i though.)

Last edited:

DaRkStRiDeR2

Smash Cadet
Did you set your PVM to "COMP –SYNC ON Y"? If it's set to "RGB –SYNC ON G", it might not take the color channels correctly. Although I'd expect that even then it would be in (wrong) colors, not grayscale. I have a different PVM though, so maybe you have some chrominance setting somewhere that's turned to zero? (A chroma knob on the front panel, for example.)
I figured out the problem, there were no knobs but 'MONO' and 'BLUE ONLY' were turned on. I falsely assumed mono referred to audio mute instead of monochrome and blue light only affected the menu options, hence why it seemed R/B signals didn't do anything. Thanks!

By the way, Sony PVM 20L5 is super crisp nice, better than my CRT monitor imo.

Last edited:

Santeria

Smash Rookie
Extron CVC is like 100+ dollars, I don't care about quality too much I just want a setup with the least lag possible, for under 40 bucks.

Kadano

Magical Express
I figured out the problem, there were no knobs but 'MONO' and 'BLUE ONLY' were turned on. I falsely assumed mono referred to audio mute instead of monochrome and blue light only affected the menu options, hence why it seemed R/B signals didn't do anything. Thanks!

By the way, Sony PVM 20L5 is super crisp nice, better than my CRT monitor imo.
Great, thanks for letting me know what the problem was!

Also, what CRT monitor is it? And yeah, I'd also say that my PVM's colors are more accurate than my CRT monitors, with the latter having a tendence to have weaker reds. However, on those that have RGB brightness / contrast controls, I was able to fine-tune them so that I don't really notice the difference.

Extron CVC is like 100+ dollars, I don't care about quality too much I just want a setup with the least lag possible, for under 40 bucks.
Get the Mayflash Wii VGA cable then.

DaRkStRiDeR2

Smash Cadet
Great, thanks for letting me know what the problem was!

Also, what CRT monitor is it?
ViewSonic a91f+ via CVC 300. Also sniped a Extron USP 405 cuz I saw it at a good price (50+shipping), gonna try it out to get the PVM to act as an external monitor like I originally planned. Heard also emulators for retro games look great on PVMs (esp the NES/SNES/MAME etc).

Top Bottom