• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Woodbridge, Virginia Friendly Smash Meet at Flashback Comics and Games

~Unknown~

Smash Apprentice
Lylat should definitely be a starter. We can't just omit it because people may not like it. If we're sharpening our skills for future tournaments. We should use the same rules as tournaments do.

ephOE

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zamiel1i
3DS FC
4356-0508-8373
I'm just going to post a ruleset and stage list that I know has worked in the past.

Rules:
  1. 1v1, DE
  2. best of 3 (except winner's finals, loser's finals, and Grand finals which will be best of 5)
  3. 2 stock, 6 minutes
  4. no items or equipment
  5. Customs on(?)
  6. Mii's allowed, no equipment, any move set ups are allowed, any size allowed
Starters:
  • Final Destination (may substitute Omega Palutena's Temple)
  • Battlefield
  • Smashville
  • Town & City
  • Lylat Cruise

Counter-picks:
  • Castle Siege
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Duck Hunt
  • Halberd
  • Kongo Jungle 64*
  • Skyloft*

Stage Striking & Character Selection:
  1. Lower seed** (higher number) chooses character, other player chooses character, then starting with lower seed players will strike in a 1-2-1 order from the Starting stages until one is left
  2. Winner strikes three stages (from starters and CP), loser chooses stage (any Omega can substitute for FD at this time - if the winner banned FD then you may not choose an Omega), winner chooses character, loser chooses character
  3. Gentleman's Clause - any stage may be played on if both players agree to it
  4. DSR - you cannot counter-pick a stage you have already won on in the set (unless other player agrees to it)

* - not a fan of these stages in competitive play, especially Skyloft because of it's buggy transforming, but I see these pretty often
** - not sure how the bracket will be made (Challonge or whatever), if there are no seed numbers then coin toss or RPS can decide in place of seed

As far as customs go, I usually don't see players required to disclose their customs for characters or Miis, but usually that's because it's obvious what they are using. If we use customs I think it might be worth it for us to do that, however, since it doesn't seem like most of us are that familiar with them. Easy way to do this is to name the set after the moves (for example, if I was using Greninja with Shifting Shuriken and Exploding Attack, I would name the setup 3112).

MandL27

Smash Cadet
I'm just going to post a ruleset and stage list that I know has worked in the past.

Rules:
  1. 1v1, DE
  2. best of 3 (except winner's finals, loser's finals, and Grand finals which will be best of 5)
  3. 2 stock, 6 minutes
  4. no items or equipment
  5. Customs on(?)
  6. Mii's allowed, no equipment, any move set ups are allowed, any size allowed
Starters:
  • Final Destination (may substitute Omega Palutena's Temple)
  • Battlefield
  • Smashville
  • Town & City
  • Lylat Cruise

Counter-picks:
  • Castle Siege
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Duck Hunt
  • Halberd
  • Kongo Jungle 64*
  • Skyloft*

Stage Striking & Character Selection:
  1. Lower seed** (higher number) chooses character, other player chooses character, then starting with lower seed players will strike in a 1-2-1 order from the Starting stages until one is left
  2. Winner strikes three stages (from starters and CP), loser chooses stage (any Omega can substitute for FD at this time - if the winner banned FD then you may not choose an Omega), winner chooses character, loser chooses character
  3. Gentleman's Clause - any stage may be played on if both players agree to it
  4. DSR - you cannot counter-pick a stage you have already won on in the set (unless other player agrees to it)

* - not a fan of these stages in competitive play, especially Skyloft because of it's buggy transforming, but I see these pretty often
** - not sure how the bracket will be made (Challonge or whatever), if there are no seed numbers then coin toss or RPS can decide in place of seed

As far as customs go, I usually don't see players required to disclose their customs for characters or Miis, but usually that's because it's obvious what they are using. If we use customs I think it might be worth it for us to do that, however, since it doesn't seem like most of us are that familiar with them. Easy way to do this is to name the set after the moves (for example, if I was using Greninja with Shifting Shuriken and Exploding Attack, I would name the setup 3112).
About Gentlemen's Rule, I'd say that overly large stages that can lead to longer matches and/or ones with overly disruptive stage hazards (main article: The Great Cave Offensive) should be banned from Gentlemen's Rule. And can Gentlemen's Rule override DSR?

ephOE

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zamiel1i
3DS FC
4356-0508-8373
About Gentlemen's Rule, I'd say that overly large stages that can lead to longer matches and/or ones with overly disruptive stage hazards (main article: The Great Cave Offensive) should be banned from Gentlemen's Rule. And can Gentlemen's Rule override DSR?
If you Gentleman's to GCO, you should know what you're getting yourself into. The long matches are an issue (although most GCO matches I've had have been surprisingly short and sweet). But you wouldn't agree to something that wacky unless you were okay with the hazards. Gentleman's Rule really doesn't come up often enough to ever be an issue. If you want absolutely no-nonsense matches or aren't comfortable with silly stages, just say no - easy as that. That being said, I will gladly play any of you on Gamer, Kalos, or Garden of Hope.

Gentleman's Rule does override DSR.

OluGhost

Smash Cadet
Montclair, Virginia (Woodbridge/Dumfries Area)
NNID
oluxdeo
3DS FC
4141-1892-7943
So it looks like we're pretty much leaning towards the same sentiments on rules. I like the ruleset you posted @ ephOE ephOE , Gentleman's rule covers my desire to let everyone play whatever they want as long as it's fair. I don't think we should allow winners to ban though I'm a fan of straight to Loser's pick. BUT we'll decide for sure at the session and get everyone's opinion. Looking forward to playing when the sun comes up.

OluGhost

Smash Cadet
NNID
oluxdeo
3DS FC
4141-1892-7943
You guys came together and made Sunday a great session. Thanks to everyone who pitched in, brought set ups, and generally just came out to play some smash, bring good energy and hang out! Those were some awesome matches. An excellent group of players came through and we missed you guys who couldn't make it this time.

Congratulations to @ ~Unknown~ ~Unknown~ for winning the tournament, much love for coming out from VA Beach! Thanks to @ ephOE ephOE for practically running the show and coming prepared with your knowledge and tournament experience. It has been very helpful and is much appreciated. Really impressive play and great sportsmanship from you @ BMX BMX , always a pleasure! I hope everyone had fun and grew as players. Let's keep it going and growing!

Zebkeet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ivan_Revi_Adames
That sounded so fun. My Dad failed to mention that he was leaving for the weekend, so I can't afford to miss the next one. I miss the chill vibe there. Since only casuals/not so good players are the only ones' I know outside of you guys, it's not easy to get better. No more excuses.

Giizmo

Smash Rookie
Ggs everyone. Man Foe was whooping my ass at the end of my time there today. I need to get better lol

Last edited:

ephOE

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zamiel1i
3DS FC
4356-0508-8373
@ OluGhost OluGhost Is there somewhere I can find info on the Fredericksburg thing you mentioned? Looks like I might be in the area that weekend.

Zebkeet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ivan_Revi_Adames
Thanks BMX, there you go @ ephOE ephOE and anyone else interested in the Fredericksburg tourney. Next time Ganon only, Hyrule Temple, Smash ball ON.
Oh God. Then I have an idea that I saw on Omni's stream. It involves little Mac and the gust bellows. You can already see how that plays out.

OluGhost

Smash Cadet
NNID
oluxdeo
3DS FC
4141-1892-7943
Hey everyone, this upcoming Sunday the 10th I won't be there. But since it IS Mother's Day, anyone that goes should definitely bring their mom and play a m0m+child team doubles tournament. I'm totally serious. If you guys do that take photos, it would be the most awesome thing ever.

Zebkeet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ivan_Revi_Adames
Hey everyone, this upcoming Sunday the 10th I won't be there. But since it IS Mother's Day, anyone that goes should definitely bring their mom and play a m0m+child team doubles tournament. I'm totally serious. If you guys do that take photos, it would be the most awesome thing ever.
Too bad we won't see you out there. My mom has never been one for videogames, so I don't know if she would participate.

TheKingWalnut

Smash Apprentice
If I can make it down this weekend, I will try to bring my mom down. Don't think I can make it though.
However, if there's a meet up on Fathers Day (I believe it falls on a Sunday actually :/ ) I will bring my dad out again (He was at the first or second one for like 15 minutes) and he and I will wreck all y'all.

Giizmo

Smash Rookie
I won't be there this Sunday was well. Have work exactly from 12-5. zzz

Top Bottom