• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Women In Smash: Harassment at the Local Level

Photo Credits: Robert Paul (@tempusrob), Graphic: SB | Kuba

Video games give you the opportunity to showcase your skills regardless of your background. They reward you for your efforts with unbiased fairness. It doesn’t matter where you come from, how much money you have, or anything else similarly superficial; if you have the work ethic and the skill, you can become the best.

However, the inclusiveness of video games seems to be betrayed at times by their communities. It’s no surprise that the FGC is predominantly made up of males and that in some cases women find it difficult to assimilate. This arrangement brews a perfect recipe for harassment towards women not just in the Smash scene, but all gaming communities. Why this disparity is present in the first place is, like most things, complex and up for debate, and therefore not worth going into. However, the consequences are serious and deserve to be talked about.

Over the weekend, I had the chance to talk with several of female Smash community members who all had encountered some sort of harassment. Their stories stand to remind us that despite how progressive the community has been there are still areas of weakness that we need to collectively work on.

Now, I’m not suggesting that there exists a systematic oppression of women or that harassment is widespread; most of us are good people and are incredibly accepting. However, while we may not be the source of the harassment ourselves, some of us choose to stay silent about it.

Sometimes, that can be just as bad.

There’s a female-focused Smash group on Facebook with 200 members-and-counting. Its members post random Smash-related things or organize plans to go to tournaments together. Other times and quite commonly, they exchange stories about their experiences with harassment at their local tournaments. Two-to-three times a month, long forms are posted detailing the nature of their encounters. In other words, posts like these are far more common than they should be.

Photo Credits: Robert Paul (@tempusrob)

Maggie Demer, one of the smashers I interviewed and a victim of assault herself, told me that stories like hers are posted frequently and often it's hard to find support.

“People post their negative experiences a lot. I've posted mine from UGC and another girl at the event was there to make sure I wasn't alone. And girls who have been assaulted by another smashers often post their statements there [the FB group] before releasing to their local scene.”

Demer also notes that the some local scenes are very toxic and generally less accepting than the greater scene. But even then the majority of people at the local level are genuinely respectful towards women, it’s just that the ‘lone wolves’ are not reprimanded as harshly. Why is that?

There is evidently a lot more harassment going on at the local level than there is at the more major level. This is because smashers at locals communicate at a much more personal basis. Lauren Casapao, who went public about her assault last year, sums up the dilemma perfectly.

“At nationals or at a broader level in general, people are more concerned with the problem. But locally, people know the victims and perpetrators personally which makes it difficult to take a side.”

Many of the other girls I interviewed with echoed this same point; often local smashers are united by a emotional bond, and this has significant influence over how they react to cases of harassment.

Sesh Evans is a longtime member of the community who has experienced some discrimination but has witnessed more. She reverberates Casapao’s point, saying; “There are a lot of girls out there that struggle with their local scene because [...] the TOs and people in charge won't bend this or that person because they don't consider it serious enough or they can't choose a side.”

Unfortunately, many of the dismaying accounts posted rarely if ever reach to those outside the group. In fact, the only reason I am aware of them is because somebody on the Smashboards team, Anna Molly, is a part of it. So why are so few people talking about this? Is the Smash community just turning a blind eye to it? Well, yes and no. In addition to it being a more ‘local’ problem that makes it hard for the greater community to focus on, there’s something else going on at play.

“...Smashers are slow to admit it [harassment] and even slower to do something about it. No one wants to do anything too drastic, lest they get labeled a "sjw" or "white knight" or something.”

That's Kayla MacKay, one of the women I interviewed, referring to the reactions towards her experiences with harassment at her local scene.

Kayla started off playing Smash casually until her friend introduced her to Smashboards, where she learned advanced tech such as wavedashing and short-hop lasers. She stopped playing for a little bit, but eventually she started going to tournaments where she initially faced no issues.

“The community at the time was filled with people who had been competing for 5+ years, and the vast majority were all university-age students who treated me with respect.”

But that changed as the older generation Smashers were replaced with some of the more younger kids, who MacKay personally felt less comfortable with. She experienced bouts of harassment, such as being asked for ‘nudes’ by a top player and being told upon attending a local tournament that she ‘must be lost’. These instances, she says, weren’t “anything major right away”, but that they were “a clear signal that the overall attitudes towards women had changed”.

Eventually harassment grew more serious though, but according to Kayla, nobody stepped in to try and stop it. That isn’t because smashers are bad people though. A majority are just afraid to speak up because doing so could mean ‘rocking the boat’ and potentially challenging the status quo.

I think a lot of this has to do with the recent subculture that has developed in response to the whole ‘PC’ movement. The political correctness campaign is often considered to be a painfully stupid way of earning ‘good guy points’ - and that isn't far off from the truth. Everybody can agree that some people go to ridiculous extremes in order to deter any sort of ‘offensiveness’, so likewise many are united in mutual hatred against ‘PC culture’.

But the ‘anti’ PC movement has also seen itself reaching similar ridiculous extremes. Like all collective movements, it has formed a sort of group consciousness where nobody really thinks for themselves and instead everybody adheres to the idea of “You’re offended? Suck it up.” This mentality is one I can generally agree with, but eventually it can get to the point where legitimate social issues or sentiments are just brushed off, and any proponents of those said ideas are labeled ‘SJWs’ and are accordingly ostracized.

The result is things that aren’t really ‘SJW’ by definition are labeled such, and the credibility of any argument can be dismissed just by using the word. This is a problem as actual issues that deserve to be talked about become lumped in with insipid feminist rhetoric.

Females face an array of challenges in the community. Again, it is reasonable to assume that most other fighting game communities have a similar problem. These problems are generally incurred by a small percentage of the community, but until we start talking about it more and become less tolerant of the bad apples, change is unlikely. We need to learn to be comfortable talking about the subject and act on an ethical basis instead of staying silent because it’s more convenient.

Some of the harassment women face isn’t easy to stop. Some people’s attitudes towards women are just the result of a deeply embedded and complex sociological reason, and that is out of our control. But we can control our reactions to these people, and be a little more serious in how they're handled instead of letting them go unchecked.

I don't want this to put off any woman interested in joining the scene. This is a problem that can be overcome, but only if women continually join and challenge adversity. Let this be an impetus for both genders to work together and hopefully resolve this issue.

Only when we can learn to put aside differences and accept the reality of what’s going on can we begin to take the necessary steps in the right direction.

Last edited:
William "Wncozens" Cozens

Comments

For all this negativity, I want to share that I have personally absolutely adored the Smash community + want to say that the vast majority of Smashers are stand up people and really wonderful :)

I really only felt awkward in the community when I was first joining, which I think all newbies feel at least in some regard. When I went to my first tourney, a few people were really helpful and the guys I faced vs were nice in explaining to me the stage striking process and whatnot. If anything they were super excited that a girl was playing and really keen to have me stick around.

I suppose the only "issue" (if I'd even call it that) I've ever had was when I moved to a new region for a few months; I think people assumed I didn't know what I was doing because I was a girl. They talked a rather condescendingly towards me when we had our sets or talked while waiting, sorta like I was a newb again. Luckily I didn't buster out and go 0-2 like a scrub (+ showed some niche MU knowledge with some grab release setups) so they realized I actually knew a thing or two about Smash. I bet I would've been mighty embarrassed if I hadn't performed well, but I suppose that's the sort of pressure anyone would get at their first event in a new area.

TL;DR: <3
I've had a similar experience! Like I said, most of the guys in this community are absolutely wonderful and really make you feel welcome. Cheerful and helpful and stuff, like a friend would be. This community rocks!

It's amazing that being a decent human being is seen as "political correctness gone mad" by some...

Respecting one another isn't that hard. :p

I demand to see video evidence. Oh, you don't have any? Pathetic and typical. The only "harassment" happening is at the hands of those who cry wolf without proof.
Surely if you are concerned about false or exaggerated claims, you should have no problem proving with reliable evidence that your statement is neither.

Go ahead. I'll wait.

I've never been to any tournaments local or otherwise. However, I have been victim to harassment in the past, which I will not go into here. It is a terrible and uncomfortable feeling that lingers long after the initial act and I feel for people who have to experience it.

Even though I have never been part of any scene, I know that most people mean well; I will not look down upon half of the human population because of a few bad apples. It all boils down to respect. It should not be viewed as a gender issue. It should be viewed as a people issue. People should respect other people regardless of gender, orientation, or beliefs.

Note: Since this is a very emotionally charged topic, I will be paying close attention to the remarks made here. If comments start to become too impassioned to the point where civility is lost, I will lock the comments.

Surely if you are concerned about false or exaggerated claims, you should have no problem proving with reliable evidence that your statement is neither.

Go ahead. I'll wait.
Darling that's not how it works. If you make out something to be a big crisis i'm not going to just believe it. Remember SJWs always lie. Why women? Zero has gone through far worse harassment but I bet you Will wouldn't of wrote an article saying. "Men are being harrassed we must do something". Stop lying you're totally SJWs. When you care more about the minority than the majority you're an SJW.

Remmende How There was no evidence about Hyuga? He admitted he was guilty and could have fouten away with it. This is victim blaming, which quite frankly, is part of the problem
Esam's brother Nick Riddle pulled him out. There's your evidence

Don't let the SJWs ruin Smash like they ruined comics, sci-fi writing, academia. You know what is going to happen? They'll come up with some vague rules about protecting women and minorities. Then as soon as you have a political opinion that isn't left wing they'll try getting you kicked out through their vague rules they'll conveniently interpret as being broken. It happened to Vox Day in sci-fi writing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darling that's not how it works. If you make out something to be a big crisis i'm not going to just believe it. Remember SJWs always lie. Why women? Zero has gone through far worse harassment but I bet you Will wouldn't of wrote an article saying. "Men are being harrassed we must do something". Stop lying you're totally SJWs. When you care more about the minority than the majority you're an SJW.
Don't let the SJWs ruin Smash like they ruined comics, sci-fi writing, academia. You know what is going to happen? They'll come up with some vague rules about protecting women and minorities. Then as soon as you have a political opinion that isn't left wing they'll try getting you kicked out through their vague rules they'll conveniently interpret as being broken. It happened to Vox Day in sci-fi writing.
If being a caring and considerate human being means being an SJW, I'll wear it as a badge of honor.

And lol about "SJWs ruining comics." As a comic fan, that's totally baseless. That being said it's completely off topic.

Oh boy, politics in the Smash scene.

Alright listen; I'm sure harassment against female gamers *has* happened just because they are female. But disliking a smasher who is a girl isn't the same thing as being againast women. I for one treat people of color, race, gender, ect on equal feild and judge people BASED ON THEIR CHARACTER . Any harrasment done specifically due to gender is extreeeemly rare and hardly happens. Not saying it doesn't happen period, but it's not common. Also, I agree that we should dismiss most allegations; let's not go overboard with mere allegations. Fake news is a thing and there's always a second side of the story. I'm sorry but waaaay too many times I've jumped on board with something ready to defend it until I've heard the other side of the story. I could quote a few instances but I really don't want to merge Smash and Politics.

Judge people on their character guys. Most people do that anyway and don't need to be told

Zero has gone through far worse harassment.
Not gonna give any examples?

Stop lying you're totally SJWs. When you care more about the minority than the majority you're an SJW.
Let's not twist definitions.
A Social Justice Warrior is a person promoting or expressing views that are socially progressive.

Moreover SJW is now a mere buzzword and has lost all meaning along with all other terms used to describe people with views someone dislikes.

Don't let the SJWs ruin Smash like they ruined comics,
Last I checked DC were doing fantastic after their Rebirth event.
Marvel? Because making Captain America a HYDRA agent totally reeks of SJWs "ruining" comics. Maybe they should settle down on the events and stop shunning the X-Men just because they don't have film rights. Moon Knight had a great run recently though and Kamala Khan is a fan favourite so I'm not getting the "ruined" angle here.

Regardless that's really not relevant.

They'll come up with some vague rules about protecting women and minorities. Then as soon as you have a political opinion that isn't left wing they'll try getting you kicked out through their vague rules they'll conveniently interpret as being broken.
I imagine people would get kicked out for not being a decent human being.

Those close minded individuals need to start accepting gender/transgender diversity in the smash community. It's like you dudes are holding up signs saying "No girls allowed"

Those close minded individuals need to start accepting gender/transgender diversity in the smash community. It's like you dudes are holding up signs saying "No girls allowed"
As i stated above I'm in disbelief that the problem is strictly gender based.

Let's say you are in a tournament and while you're playing your matches, you hear that a special "women's only" tournament is taking place and they have a nice handsome pot bonus there... If you ask me, I'd be against women's only Smash tournaments, especially if they are getting preferential treatment. In physical sports, it's different. Men and women can't compete at the same level. But smash is different, there is no biological difference stopping a woman from doing as well as a man. Am i "against gender diversity" for not liking this new fancy special women's-only tournament? No. Women are more than welcome to attend and participate in the tournament.

This applies to everything, politics included. Equal treatment is equal treatment. Not better treatment, preferential treatment, or worse treatment. I't equal treatment; know what you want 3rd wave feminists.

The people who would dislike such a women's-only tournament aren't close-minded or sexist. They want people to be placed on equal footing and to judge people on their character, not their personal description.

If being a caring and considerate human being means being an SJW, I'll wear it as a badge of honor.

And lol about "SJWs ruining comics." As a comic fan, that's totally baseless. That being said it's completely off topic.
Yes. SJWs being caring. Absolute fictitious lie. They pretend to be nice with their lips but their true natures comes out quickly once you expose their facade. Just like the UC Berkeley riots and protests. I've got a crap ton of videos of so called "tolerant" beating the crap out of people they disagree with. Nothings gets them more angry than a white christian male. It tears them up inside. They always lie. They always double down when they've been found out. They always project.

Comic book sales have been down for a long time.

What happened to your reddit post where you called your own article a "A great piece about harassment towards females in local Smash communities"? Did you delete it because you got called out for the content of the article or that people called you pretentious for calling your own article great? How flaky must your opinion be if you delete it at the first sign of someone disagreeing.

This article brings nothing productive to the table at all, if anything it hurts the scene more than anything. You brought up no actual issues with the scene rather than small outlier's which you had to LOOK for, which if you look hard enough for problems in anything you'll find them. I mean what actual issues are brought up in this post? TO's won't bend the rules because a girl simply feels bad? A TO can't take sides with someone over feelings rather than facts.

Here's a little excerpt from my comment on the reddit post you deleted "honestly the worst thing I read was that a girl got asked for nudes, while Reddit says worse **** to me for maining ice climbers on the daily."

hope your credibility is worth those good boy points

Last edited:
Not gonna give any examples?

That time he they changed the venue of a tournament when he got to finals and he couldn't get a lift so they gave number 1 place to his opponent cause they knew he was too young to drive on purpose.

All the guys that were ass holes too him in Chile and never invited him to their place because jealous of someone so young being good at smash. People were nasty and cold to him all the time

They even would ban Ice Climbers infinite grabs halfway during a tournament to stop Zero from winning cause Zero mained IC.

That black guy that Zero beat in a money match (and Zero played him because the guy was harassing him for a long time) and then the black guy started yelling he (black guy) was a legend after Zero beat him. He then was kicked out. Mr R then said this happens to Zero all the time.

Then there's the harassment he received for playing project M and till this day on the way he plays. Everyone thinks he is some kind of arrogant ass hole and assassinate his character all the time when it's not true at all. He's had it harder then all these women combined.

Let's not twist definitions.
A Social Justice Warrior is a person promoting or expressing views that are socially progressive.

Moreover SJW is now a mere buzzword and has lost all meaning along with all other terms usedto describe people with views someone dislikes.

And what are "socially progressive" views chief? I'll give you a hint. It's what I said. Good thing SJW has become a term no one wants to associate with. Doesn't mean you aren't one.

Last I checked DC were doing fantastic after their Rebirth event.
Marvel? Because making Captain America a HYDRA agent totally reeks of SJWs "ruining" comics. Maybe they should settle down on the events and stop shunning the X-Men just because they don't have film rights. Moon Knight had a great run recently though and Kamala Khan is a fan favourite so I'm not getting the "ruined" angle here.

Regardless that's really not relevant.

I imagine people would get kicked out for not being a decent human being.

Yeah cause SJWs are decent human beings and the rules magically just stop at being a **** to someone. What if someone says "Men are superior to women in smash". No animosity. Just something he has observed. Should he get kicked off and not play smash again? You give an SJW an inch they'll take a mile. They're authoritarians who want to destroy your life, reputation and get you fired from your job because you have the wrong opinion. It happened with Tim Hunt, Dr James Watson (he discovered DNA), Brendan Eich and so on. They ain't nice people. The always project. So if they accuse you of something. You can guarantee they do the same thing

We need to get rid of this victim culture. Didn't the Smash sisters call their team "Smash the patriarchy" ? We just need more of that garbage

Irony so thick you can cut it with a knife.

That has **** all to do with "le evil SJWs." If anything it has to do with the increased ease of pirating comics.
How am I projecting?

What about Sci-fi then? You conveniently ignored that. Plenty of stuff gets pirated yet they still do well. SJWs make everything mediocre.

How am I projecting?

What about Sci-fi then? You conveniently ignored that. Plenty of stuff gets pirated yet they still do well. SJWs make everything mediocre.
Provide proof of your sci-fi example and I'll judge it then. Ball's in your court. How, tell me, did "SJWs ruin sci-fi?"

And it's clear to me you're projecting. You're letting your own feelings get in the way of facts. You sound like you've been victimized or something, or bought into some nonsense GamerGate rhetoric.

Like I said, provide proof and I'll comment on it. Keep in mind you're veering off topic though.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing."

okay, so the quote was a little paraphrased, but I can sadly agree with how difficult it can be to be the one to really stand up for others when it really comes down to it. it's pretty easy to see how once a label gets slapped on you by enough people (especially folks with a notable name), almost everyone else sort of goes along with it.

so it kind of makes you wonder how strong your opposition is when you happen to be one of the few folks who are willing to speak your mind face-to-face with everyone. it's not really often that I see folks who view a controversy from both sides... they primarily look at the disaster itself, then the details of what happened, and often place judgement right then and there...

a few people were bringing up Hyuga earlier, which sort of explains my point on labels. while it''s been said that what he did is very bad (unquestionable, easily), it's also made clear he was very drunk. everyone aught to know how intoxication impairs your mental state, so who knows what you wind up doing until you sober up. based on what i saw, Hyuga gave the impression (to me, anyways) that he was pretty stunned about what he presumably did (alone, I might add, nobody was with him until someone found him wandering about). he didn't outright say "I didn't do it", but he didn't remember what happened, so he couldn't honestly say if he did it for certain, either. either way, people quickly gave him a predatory label and essentially chased him away from the community with torches and pitchforks.

keep in mind, that this is one guy, he did something without a clear head, and people stuck a very nasty label on him, and chances are, even if he humored the mere idea of coming back, that label will haunt him.

so returning to this, sure, a community standing up against harassment and negative behavior will typically get stuff done, stopping harassment and all that jazz... although I can understand how it feels if said community is either neutral or used to this kind of behavior, and someone challenges what's usually been normal... somebody's going to slap a bad label on said someone, and then very quickly their position in an argument will diminish very rapidly if enough people go along with it.

it's... rather sad, honestly, but that's just my two cents. I'm just one guy with one particular viewpoint, and if folks want to pick apart my opinions, be my guest, if you think you can change my mind.

Last edited:
We need the Smash Community to stop being a sausage fest, just be a good person and everything is fine

Last edited:
This article brings nothing to the table. 99% of women have absolutely no problem assimilating to the Smash community. The amount of males in the smash community who accept females is more than simply "the vast majority". It's more like "basically every single person" or "all but a tiny handful". And the very very very few people who do actually harass just for the luls aren't going to stop. You can't "discourage" their behavior. You can't solve it by sticking a piece of paper on the front window of the venue saying that people who harass females will be thrown out. You alleviate the problem by stopping it and policing it as it happens.

And let's be clear on what kind of harassment is actually taking place. Is it simply hurtful? Does it actually have to do with them being a woman or is it something else like they took up 2 spaces while parking. It's easy to blame any criticism on "it's because I'm a woman" so let's be mindful of how much is really woman-only harassment. I get loads of harassment from the 90% of YouTube, Reddit, Smashboards, and Discord (Marcina server included) just for maining Lucnia. Are we going to make venues a safe space now?

People can make fun of my Lucina and I'll take it and ignore it; I'm confident with who I main and nobody is going to make me feel bad about it.

The real solution? Suck it up. Not going to lie nor cushion the blow, the world will harass you and make fun of you. Suck it up and you'll feel better.

Provide proof of your sci-fi example and I'll judge it then. Ball's in your court. How, tell me, did "SJWs ruin sci-fi?"

And it's clear to me you're projecting. You're letting your own feelings get in the way of facts. You sound like you've been victimized or something, or bought into some nonsense GamerGate rhetoric.

Like I said, provide proof and I'll comment on it. Keep in mind you're veering off topic though.
Citation needed. How am I playing victim? Where are the facts for that? Is that your feelings?

They gave the Hugo awards so that only people with the right opinion won them. These awarded books are ranked way lower than classic sci-fi like Starship Troopers and Redshirts. At the same time editorial positions at the major science fiction publisher were run by females SJWSwho thought all the old Sci-fi classics were racist and sexist. According to Pulblishers Weekly Science Fiction sales have been down by 50% since 2008. The classics are still rated higher while the awards now go to garbage political correct books that don't sell as well.

We need the Smash Community to stop being a sausage fest, just be a good person and everything is fine
So men are bad? Is that what you're saying? Maybe women don't play smash because they aren't as interested in it. Same reason why there aren't as many men in Nursing. Do you ever hear men ever say "Nursing is sexist". "We need more men in nursing. They're sexist against men"

Video games give you the opportunity to showcase your skills regardless of your background. They reward you for your efforts with unbiased fairness. It doesn’t matter where you come from, how much money you have, or anything else similarly superficial; if you have the work ethic and the skill, you can become the best.

However, the inclusiveness of video games seems to be betrayed at times by their communities. It’s no surprise that the FGC is predominantly made up of males and that in some cases women find it difficult to assimilate. This arrangement brews a perfect recipe for harassment towards women not just in the Smash scene, but all gaming communities. Why this disparity is present in the first place is, like most things, complex and up for debate, and therefore not worth going into. However, the consequences are serious and deserve to be talked about.

Over the weekend, I had the chance to talk with several of female Smash community members who all had encountered some sort of harassment. Their stories stand to remind us that despite how progressive the community has been there are still areas of weakness that we need to collectively work on.

Now, I’m not suggesting that there exists a systematic oppression of women or that harassment is widespread; most of us are good people and are incredibly accepting. However, while we may not be the source of the harassment ourselves, some of us choose to stay silent about it.

There’s a female-focused Smash group on Facebook with 200 members-and-counting. Its members post random Smash-related things or organize plans to go to tournaments together. Other times and quite commonly, they exchange stories about their experiences with harassment at their local tournaments. Two-to-three times a month, long forms are posted detailing the nature of their encounters. In other words, posts like these are far more common than they should be.

Maggie Demer, one of the smashers I interviewed and a victim of assault herself, told me that stories like hers are posted frequently and often it's hard to find support.

“People post their negative experiences a lot. I've posted mine from UGC and another girl at the event was there to make sure I wasn't alone. And girls who have been assaulted by another smashers often post their statements there [the FB group] before releasing to their local scene.”

Demer also notes that the some local scenes are very toxic and generally less accepting than the greater scene. But even then the majority of people at the local level are genuinely respectful towards women, it’s just that the ‘lone wolves’ are not reprimanded as harshly. Why is that?

There is evidently a lot more harassment going on at the local level than there is at the more major level. This is because smashers at locals communicate at a much more personal basis. Lauren Casapao, who went public about her assault last year, sums up the dilemma perfectly.

“At nationals or at a broader level in general, people are more concerned with the problem. But locally, people know the victims and perpetrators personally which makes it difficult to take a side.”

Many of the other girls I interviewed with echoed this same point; often local smashers are united by a emotional bond, and this has significant influence over how they react to cases of harassment.

Sesh Evans is a longtime member of the community who has experienced some discrimination but has witnessed more. She reverberates Casapao’s point, saying; “There are a lot of girls out there that struggle with their local scene because [...] the TOs and people in charge won't bend this or that person because they don't consider it serious enough or they can't choose a side.”

Unfortunately, many of the dismaying accounts posted rarely if ever reach to those outside the group. In fact, the only reason I am aware of them is because somebody on the Smashboards team, Anna Molly, is a part of it. So why are so few people talking about this? Is the Smash community just turning a blind eye to it? Well, yes and no. In addition to it being a more ‘local’ problem that makes it hard for the greater community to focus on, there’s something else going on at play.

“...Smashers are slow to admit it [harassment] and even slower to do something about it. No one wants to do anything too drastic, lest they get labeled a "sjw" or "white knight" or something.”

That's Kayla MacKay, one of the women I interviewed, referring to the reactions towards her experiences with harassment at her local scene.

Kayla started off playing Smash casually until her friend introduced her to Smashboards, where she learned advanced tech such as wavedashing and short-hop lasers. She stopped playing for a little bit, but eventually she started going to tournaments where she initially faced no issues.

“The community at the time was filled with people who had been competing for 5+ years, and the vast majority were all university-age students who treated me with respect.”

But that changed as the older generation Smashers were replaced with some of the more younger kids, who MacKay personally felt less uncomfortable with. She experienced bouts of harassment, such as being asked for ‘nudes’ by a top player and being told upon attending a local tournament that she ‘must be lost’. These instances, she says, weren’t “anything major right away”, but that they were “a clear signal that the overall attitudes towards women had changed”.

Eventually harassment grew more serious though, but according to Kayla, nobody stepped in to try and stop it. That isn’t because smashers are bad people though. A majority are just afraid to speak up because doing so could mean ‘rocking the boat’ and potentially challenging the status quo.

I think a lot of this has to do with the recent subculture that has developed in response to the whole ‘PC’ movement. The political correctness campaign is often considered to be a painfully stupid way of earning ‘good guy points’ - and that isn't far off from the truth. Everybody can agree that some people go to ridiculous extremes in order to deter any sort of ‘offensiveness’, so likewise many are united in mutual hatred against ‘PC culture’.

But the ‘anti’ PC movement has also seen itself reaching similar ridiculous extremes. Like all collective movements, it has formed a sort of group consciousness where nobody really thinks for themselves and instead everybody adheres to the idea of “You’re offended? Suck it up.” This mentality is one I can generally agree with, but eventually it can get to the point where legitimate social issues or sentiments are just brushed off, and any proponents of those said ideas are labeled ‘SJWs’ and are accordingly ostracized.

The result is things that aren’t really ‘SJW’ by definition are labeled such, and the credibility of any argument can be dismissed just by using the word. This is a problem as actual issues that deserve to be talked about become lumped in with insipid feminist rhetoric.

Females face an array of challenges in the community. Again, it is reasonable to assume that most other fighting game communities have a similar problem. These problems are generally incurred by a small percentage of the community, but until we start talking about it more and become less tolerant of the bad apples, change is unlikely. We need to learn to be comfortable talking about the subject and act on an ethical basis instead of staying silent because it’s more convenient.

Some of the harassment women face isn’t easy to stop. Some people’s attitudes towards women are just the result of a deeply embedded and complex sociological reason, and that is out of our control. But we can control our reactions to these people, and be a little more serious in how they're handled instead of letting them go unchecked.

I don't want this to put off any woman interested in joining the scene. This is a problem that can be overcome, but only if women continually join and challenge adversity. Let this be an impetus for both genders to work together and hopefully resolve this issue.

Only when we can learn to put aside differences and accept the reality of what’s going on can we begin to take the necessary steps in the right direction.

But that changed as the older generation Smashers were replaced with some of the more younger kids, who MacKay personally felt less uncomfortable with. She experienced bouts of harassment, such as being asked for ‘nudes’ by a top player and being told upon attending a local tournament that she ‘must be lost’. These instances, she says, weren’t “anything major right away”, but that they were “a clear signal that the overall attitudes towards women had changed”.

Only when we can learn to put aside differences and accept the reality of what’s going on can we begin to take the necessary steps in the right dire

I have a big problem with this and that is the victimization complex we have here. Women are not excluded from smash tournaments. And it is wrong of you to generalize an entire community as being sexist pigs. You have o ask yourself if this is a problem. Unless you are giving special privelages to these women, they arent in an equal position? Newsflash, everyone knows that **** and harassment is bad. This isn't a problem, this is life. I dont know what it is you can do, but you cant advocate for change like this unless you are assuming that the Smash scene is a den of sweaty males that generally want to abuse women, mistreat them, underhand them, and **** them as a collective mindset that disparages against the values of girls in general. THIS.......IS......********! We cant escape this can we? There is no epidemic of sexual harassment in the smash scene, this isnt an advocation of equality, this is admitting that women need to be especially protected more than men. And of course we want to, but slandering gamers as generally being more and more violent towards women is wrong and i despise a false **** claim just as much as an actual ****. In short, stop treating women special if they are equal and stop gender baiting this. This crap has to stop. And yes, this is social justice warrior rhetoric in the article. I advocate against any further divides between the sexes and begin treating life seriously, without the political activism. Again, we know harassment is wrong, thanks for the reminder

Oh boy, politics in the Smash scene.

Alright listen; I'm sure harassment against female gamers *has* happened just because they are female. But disliking a smasher who is a girl isn't the same thing as being againast women. I for one treat people of color, race, gender, ect on equal feild and judge people BASED ON THEIR CHARACTER . Any harrasment done specifically due to gender is extreeeemly rare and hardly happens. Not saying it doesn't happen period, but it's not common. Also, I agree that we should dismiss most allegations; let's not go overboard with mere allegations. Fake news is a thing and there's always a second side of the story. I'm sorry but waaaay too many times I've jumped on board with something ready to defend it until I've heard the other side of the story. I could quote a few instances but I really don't want to merge Smash and Politics.

Judge people on their character guys. Most people do that anyway and don't need to be told
Judge people on their character? We should judge characters based on how annoying they are and not the people who use them. I'm looking at you, Rosalina! D:< Okay, I'm done joking.

Says someone who fails to listen and promotes their own agenda. I dont care about your feelings, grow up. Life is unfair, we just dont like this poster in our face that men suck, gamers suck, and we should feel ashamed because we are men and gamers. We dont need diversity, we need to have fun and stop treating the ugliness of life as if its the end of the world. Women are not being systematically treated unfairly in the community, they are supported by most of the fanbase. This is not an issue, this is something that should be dealt with seriously with CHARACTER being the focus instead of calling wolf of institutional sexism everytime a girl gets a less than nice look her direction. Screw this bull

Last edited:
Citation needed. How am I playing victim? Where are the facts for that? Is that your feelings?

They gave the Hugo awards so that only people with the right opinion won them. These awarded books are ranked way lower than classic sci-fi like Starship Troopers and Redshirts. At the same time editorial positions at the major science fiction publisher were run by females SJWSwho thought all the old Sci-fi classics were racist and sexist. According to Pulblishers Weekly Science Fiction sales have been down by 50% since 2008. The classics are still rated higher while the awards now go to garbage political correct books that don't sell as well.

So men are bad? Is that what you're saying? Maybe women don't play smash because they aren't as interested in it. Same reason why there aren't as many men in Nursing. Do you ever hear men ever say "Nursing is sexist". "We need more men in nursing. They're sexist against men"
What's funny is that I looked into the Hugo Awards and...the biggest controversies were due to anti-SJW vote rigging. That's not helping your case.

Honestly this just seems like you're failing to adapt to changing times. This isn't some "SJW conspiracy." It's a change in cultural norms. That's all, and in my opinion it's for the better. Diversity is a good thing.

And for the record there IS a push to get more men into nursing.

This article brings nothing to the table. 99% of women have absolutely no problem assimilating to the Smash community. The amount of males in the smash community who accept females is more than simply "the vast majority". It's more like "basically every single person" or "all but a tiny handful". And the very very very few people who do actually harass just for the luls aren't going to stop. You can't "discourage" their behavior. You can't solve it by sticking a piece of paper on the front window of the venue saying that people who harass females will be thrown out. You alleviate the problem by stopping it and policing it as it happens.

And let's be clear on what kind of harassment is actually taking place. Is it simply hurtful? Does it actually have to do with them being a woman or is it something else like they took up 2 spaces while parking. It's easy to blame any criticism on "it's because I'm a woman" so let's be mindful of how much is really woman-only harassment. I get loads of harassment from the 90% of YouTube, Reddit, Smashboards, and Discord (Marcina server included) just for maining Lucnia. Are we going to make venues a safe space now?

People can make fun of my Lucina and I'll take it and ignore it; I'm confident with who I main and nobody is going to make me feel bad about it.

The real solution? Suck it up. Not going to lie nor cushion the blow, the world will harass you and make fun of you. Suck it up and you'll feel better.
If sucking it up works for you, personally, great. It works for me as well. But it doesn't work for everyone, and that's NOT the fault of the victim. If someone can suck it up, all the power to them. But those who can't shouldn't be punished for it; the ones doing the harassing should.

It doesn't matter that it's a small minority doing it. The fact that it happens at all is disgusting.

Oh, so if you make an unsubstantiated claim like "The only harassment people make is crying wolf" you don't have to back it up or prove it? That's not how that works? Fascinating how you people can't live up to your own expectations!

SJWs, lol sorry but adults with imaginary enemies are stupid.

User was warned for this post
What's funny is that I looked into the Hugo Awards and...the biggest controversies were due to anti-SJW vote rigging. That's not helping your case.

Honestly this just seems like you're failing to adapt to changing times. This isn't some "SJW conspiracy." It's a change in cultural norms. That's all, and in my opinion it's for the better. Diversity is a good thing.

And for the record there IS a push to get more men into nursing.

If sucking it up works for you, personally, great. It works for me as well. But it doesn't work for everyone, and that's NOT the fault of the victim. If someone can suck it up, all the power to them. But those who can't shouldn't be punished for it; the ones doing the harassing should.

It doesn't matter that it's a small minority doing it. The fact that it happens at all is disgusting.
Lol that was done to show it was a popularity contest. And they were right. All the SJWs got pissed cause Vox Day did what they normally do to win the Hugo's. Of course wherever you looked (probably Wikipedia) over looks what the SJWs did.

"Honestly this just seems like you're failing to adapt to changing times. This isn't some "SJW conspiracy." It's a change in cultural norms. That's all, and in my opinion it's for the better. Diversity is a good thing."

Yeah diversity is so great. Increased divorce rates. Crime. Letting in terrorist from the third world. Covering up mass sexual assaults like Cologne in Germany. Conspiracy? They aren't even hiding their hatred for white people. How are these things better? My wife just got ***** by an immigrant but hey the food is great right? I guess progress is about letting third worlders **** your people and the nuclear family being destroyed. Whenever there's a terrorist attack we can call themdiversity bombs. You're everything wrong with the world. Diversity and Equality are incompatible. Even women are unhappier now yet they're meant to more progressive those backward women of yore.

Oh, so if you make an unsubstantiated claim like "The only harassment people make is crying wolf" you don't have to back it up or prove it? That's not how that works? Fascinating how you people can't live up to your own expectations!

So that makes your claim right? Listen and believe because they're a women. Sjw's don't exist? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Just type SJW in youtube and you'll find countless videos

D
Just type SJW in youtube and you'll find countless videos
Sweetie, you joined Smashboards yesterday and you have done nothing but whine about "social justice warriors." It's painfully clear what your motivations are, and they have nothing to do with the advancement of the Smash community.

Lol that was done to show it was a popularity contest. And they were right. All the SJWs got pissed cause Vox Day did what they normally do to win the Hugo's. Of course wherever you looked (probably Wikipedia) over looks what the SJWs did.

"Honestly this just seems like you're failing to adapt to changing times. This isn't some "SJW conspiracy." It's a change in cultural norms. That's all, and in my opinion it's for the better. Diversity is a good thing."

Yeah diversity is so great. Increased divorce rates. Crime. Letting in terrorist from the third world. Covering up mass sexual assaults like Cologne in Germany. Conspiracy? They aren't even hiding their hatred for white people. How are these things better? My wife just got ***** by an immigrant but hey the food is great right? I guess progress is about letting third worlders **** your people and the nuclear family being destroyed. Whenever there's a terrorist attack we can call themdiversity bombs. You're everything wrong with the world. Diversity and Equality are incompatible. Even women are unhappier now yet they're meant to more progressive those backward women of yore.
...This is exactly the kind of hateful intolerance that needs to be stamped out. Thank you for once again showing how intolerant some folks in the Smash community can be. Holy ****. You know what breeds terrorist attacks? Bigotry like this. The whole alt-right "diversity and equality are incompatible" rhetoric is growing like a cancer.

I'm not devoting any more time to this. Clearly you're too stuck in your own little bubble to be reasoned with.

Newsflash: You're more likely to die in your bathtub than in a terrorist attack. The reason you hear about them at all is because they're newsworthy. And yet here you spit such vitriolic words as if every refugee is a ****ing terrorist...

Sweetie, you joined Smashboards yesterday and you have done nothing but whine about "social justice warriors." It's painfully clear what your motivations are, and they have nothing to do with the advancement of the Smash community.
Advance the Smash community or not, you can't stay silent about some things

...especially when the reddit post is no longer available to comment through

...This is exactly the kind of hateful intolerance that needs to be stamped out. Thank you for once again showing how intolerant some folks in the Smash community can be. Holy ****. You know what breeds terrorist attacks? Bigotry like this. The whole alt-right "diversity and equality are incompatible" rhetoric is growing like a cancer.

I'm not devoting any more time to this. Clearly you're too stuck in your own little bubble to be reasoned with.

Newsflash: You're more likely to die in your bathtub than in a terrorist attack. The reason you hear about them at all is because they're newsworthy. And yet here you spit such vitriolic words as if every refugee is a ****ing terrorist...
Ha ha ha ha ha so let's add more death. Let's add more immigrants so there's even more death because bathtubs kill more people. Did Cologne happen or not? Don't cars get bombed in Sweden a lot? Did the truck of peace not mow down a bunch of people in France? Wouldn't it be logical if you let more type of these people that the exact same thing would happen?

"I'm not devoting any more time to this. Clearly you're too stuck in your own little bubble to be reasoned with."

Translation: You've given up because your arguments are weak.

So my words create terrorism? Well if they're that sensitive why bother letting them in. Ah yes "hate" don't worry SJWs like to think they're against hate but they show their true colors quickly. Like the UC Berkeley riots where they were beating the crap out of people with flag poles. Tolerant flag pole beatings.

I had no idea this was even a thing. though im yer everyday white knight nice guy so im not usually around scenes where stuff like this can happen.
when i have a moment to read this NOT at 4 in the morning, ill make a nice post in response.

D

This fairly non offensive and respectful article has spawned a political debate where two sides strawman each other?

Yeah, bout what I expected.

Men don't like women and they control the world so nothing's going to change.

Last edited:
Don't let the SJWs ruin Smash like they ruined comics, sci-fi writing
I don't quite get what you mean with 'pulled him out', not to mention that by saying "Yeah, it's possible I'm guilty", you admit you might have done it

And lmao, comics were ALWAYS political! Captain America was made by Jewish people who were angry that America wouldn't help stop Hitler murdering Jews, Wonder Woman stopped a dictator once and forced him to treat people who he'd like tl be treated, there were old flyers and things of Batman and Superman saying "Treat everyone with respect be they of a different colour or religion" and stuff. And Sci-fi? I'm not too knowledgeable on it, but I know Gundam's always been "WAR IS BAD". And if you argue video games are being made political, There's Metal Gear Solid and Ace Attorney Apollo Justice was actually a big "Japan's law system is bad and we need a new law system" message, especially considering the events in Japan as of then.

The issue with 'guilty until proven innocent' is that you immediately suspect one side, but not the other. You immediately jump on who is supposedly the victim, and I do agree false allegations are absolutely awful, what if they're actually the victim and get treated horribly because they spoke up? It's why there are victims who never speak up. I'll bring up Ace Attorney up, the Judge is ALWAYS against you and sometimes it's absolutely ridiculous, especially as one time in the series, the judge believes a child shot a man with a revolver which has stupidly bad knockback and it's painfully obvious it wasn't him, but the judge only believes he's innocent when you prove WHO the real villain was AND their motive

this shouldnt be about gender, should be about people. just respect other people, you dont even have to agree with their beliefs. is that so difficult?

this shouldnt be about gender, should be about people. just respect other people, you dont even have to agree with their beliefs. is that so difficult?
It shouldn't be but unfortunately it often is about issues that are primarily female.

That's not to say, we shouldn't treat everyone with respect, but ya know, watch out for our female smashers too.

That said, I will say I'm surprised at the amount of people arguing who ultimately agree on the same thing and argue over semantics. Pretty sure most of you would stop harassment if you saw it, even if you disagreed on the exact gender issue.

Another reason for me to dislike the idea of being part of the Smash community. Good article.

Also, I think this is a typo:

But that changed as the older generation Smashers were replaced with some of the more younger kids, who MacKay personally felt less uncomfortable with. She experienced bouts of harassment, such as being asked for ‘nudes’ by atop player and being told upon attending a local tournament that she ‘must be lost’.
Feeling less uncomfortable with the younger group who harasses you doesn't sound right...

I demand to see video evidence. Oh, you don't have any? Pathetic and typical. The only "harassment" happening is at the hands of those who cry wolf without proof. Even if you actually are a victim of harrassment, spreading rumours without proof only serves to empower vicious liars. Gather some proof first before opening your gob.
I very much disagree with what you saying here

It's like the old saying; If a tree falls in the woods with no one around, does it still make a sound.
To me yes it does. Just because they may no have definitive proof doesn't not
And yes I am full aware that does go both ways, I am more inclined to give the benefit of the doubt

Nobody should care how much you dislike banter. If you really prefer an environment where everyone pretends to be your friend then destroys your reputation behind your back to one where camaraderie is shored up with playful insults, then don't step up to a sport which naturally appeals to a predominantly male environment.
You can just always say "suck it up" to people not like banter. You need to ask the question about where you draw the line between banter and harassment

:135:

User was warned for this post
tee hee, apple

(it's been over 7ish months since i've posted on here; i didnt know what to type to commemorate)

tee hee, apple

(it's been over 7ish months since i've posted on here; i didnt know what to type to commemorate)
:004::004::004:mkay so i think smash 4 is trash i used to be good at it now i suck at it sooooooooooooo ya mkay that all i say for now ITS GOOD TO COME BACK ON THIS SITE AGAIN AFTER SO LONG mkay so mkay so mkay sooooo ya :004::004::004:
CAN I GET 10000000000000 LIKES NOW:039::039::039:

Another reason for me to dislike the idea of being part of the Smash community. Good article.

Also, I think this is a typo:

Feeling less uncomfortable with the younger group who harasses you doesn't sound right...
Whoops! Don't know how that got past editing, thanks! Fixed.

Top Bottom