• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Women In Smash: Harassment at the Local Level

Photo Credits: Robert Paul (@tempusrob), Graphic: SB | Kuba

Video games give you the opportunity to showcase your skills regardless of your background. They reward you for your efforts with unbiased fairness. It doesn’t matter where you come from, how much money you have, or anything else similarly superficial; if you have the work ethic and the skill, you can become the best.

However, the inclusiveness of video games seems to be betrayed at times by their communities. It’s no surprise that the FGC is predominantly made up of males and that in some cases women find it difficult to assimilate. This arrangement brews a perfect recipe for harassment towards women not just in the Smash scene, but all gaming communities. Why this disparity is present in the first place is, like most things, complex and up for debate, and therefore not worth going into. However, the consequences are serious and deserve to be talked about.

Over the weekend, I had the chance to talk with several of female Smash community members who all had encountered some sort of harassment. Their stories stand to remind us that despite how progressive the community has been there are still areas of weakness that we need to collectively work on.

Now, I’m not suggesting that there exists a systematic oppression of women or that harassment is widespread; most of us are good people and are incredibly accepting. However, while we may not be the source of the harassment ourselves, some of us choose to stay silent about it.

Sometimes, that can be just as bad.

There’s a female-focused Smash group on Facebook with 200 members-and-counting. Its members post random Smash-related things or organize plans to go to tournaments together. Other times and quite commonly, they exchange stories about their experiences with harassment at their local tournaments. Two-to-three times a month, long forms are posted detailing the nature of their encounters. In other words, posts like these are far more common than they should be.

Photo Credits: Robert Paul (@tempusrob)

Maggie Demer, one of the smashers I interviewed and a victim of assault herself, told me that stories like hers are posted frequently and often it's hard to find support.

“People post their negative experiences a lot. I've posted mine from UGC and another girl at the event was there to make sure I wasn't alone. And girls who have been assaulted by another smashers often post their statements there [the FB group] before releasing to their local scene.”

Demer also notes that the some local scenes are very toxic and generally less accepting than the greater scene. But even then the majority of people at the local level are genuinely respectful towards women, it’s just that the ‘lone wolves’ are not reprimanded as harshly. Why is that?

There is evidently a lot more harassment going on at the local level than there is at the more major level. This is because smashers at locals communicate at a much more personal basis. Lauren Casapao, who went public about her assault last year, sums up the dilemma perfectly.

“At nationals or at a broader level in general, people are more concerned with the problem. But locally, people know the victims and perpetrators personally which makes it difficult to take a side.”

Many of the other girls I interviewed with echoed this same point; often local smashers are united by a emotional bond, and this has significant influence over how they react to cases of harassment.

Sesh Evans is a longtime member of the community who has experienced some discrimination but has witnessed more. She reverberates Casapao’s point, saying; “There are a lot of girls out there that struggle with their local scene because [...] the TOs and people in charge won't bend this or that person because they don't consider it serious enough or they can't choose a side.”

Unfortunately, many of the dismaying accounts posted rarely if ever reach to those outside the group. In fact, the only reason I am aware of them is because somebody on the Smashboards team, Anna Molly, is a part of it. So why are so few people talking about this? Is the Smash community just turning a blind eye to it? Well, yes and no. In addition to it being a more ‘local’ problem that makes it hard for the greater community to focus on, there’s something else going on at play.

“...Smashers are slow to admit it [harassment] and even slower to do something about it. No one wants to do anything too drastic, lest they get labeled a "sjw" or "white knight" or something.”

That's Kayla MacKay, one of the women I interviewed, referring to the reactions towards her experiences with harassment at her local scene.

Kayla started off playing Smash casually until her friend introduced her to Smashboards, where she learned advanced tech such as wavedashing and short-hop lasers. She stopped playing for a little bit, but eventually she started going to tournaments where she initially faced no issues.

“The community at the time was filled with people who had been competing for 5+ years, and the vast majority were all university-age students who treated me with respect.”

But that changed as the older generation Smashers were replaced with some of the more younger kids, who MacKay personally felt less comfortable with. She experienced bouts of harassment, such as being asked for ‘nudes’ by a top player and being told upon attending a local tournament that she ‘must be lost’. These instances, she says, weren’t “anything major right away”, but that they were “a clear signal that the overall attitudes towards women had changed”.

Eventually harassment grew more serious though, but according to Kayla, nobody stepped in to try and stop it. That isn’t because smashers are bad people though. A majority are just afraid to speak up because doing so could mean ‘rocking the boat’ and potentially challenging the status quo.

Photo Credits: Robert Paul (@tempusrob)

I think a lot of this has to do with the recent subculture that has developed in response to the whole ‘PC’ movement. The political correctness campaign is often considered to be a painfully stupid way of earning ‘good guy points’ - and that isn't far off from the truth. Everybody can agree that some people go to ridiculous extremes in order to deter any sort of ‘offensiveness’, so likewise many are united in mutual hatred against ‘PC culture’.

But the ‘anti’ PC movement has also seen itself reaching similar ridiculous extremes. Like all collective movements, it has formed a sort of group consciousness where nobody really thinks for themselves and instead everybody adheres to the idea of “You’re offended? Suck it up.” This mentality is one I can generally agree with, but eventually it can get to the point where legitimate social issues or sentiments are just brushed off, and any proponents of those said ideas are labeled ‘SJWs’ and are accordingly ostracized.

The result is things that aren’t really ‘SJW’ by definition are labeled such, and the credibility of any argument can be dismissed just by using the word. This is a problem as actual issues that deserve to be talked about become lumped in with insipid feminist rhetoric.

Females face an array of challenges in the community. Again, it is reasonable to assume that most other fighting game communities have a similar problem. These problems are generally incurred by a small percentage of the community, but until we start talking about it more and become less tolerant of the bad apples, change is unlikely. We need to learn to be comfortable talking about the subject and act on an ethical basis instead of staying silent because it’s more convenient.

Some of the harassment women face isn’t easy to stop. Some people’s attitudes towards women are just the result of a deeply embedded and complex sociological reason, and that is out of our control. But we can control our reactions to these people, and be a little more serious in how they're handled instead of letting them go unchecked.

I don't want this to put off any woman interested in joining the scene. This is a problem that can be overcome, but only if women continually join and challenge adversity. Let this be an impetus for both genders to work together and hopefully resolve this issue.

Only when we can learn to put aside differences and accept the reality of what’s going on can we begin to take the necessary steps in the right direction.

Last edited:
William "Wncozens" Cozens

Comments

Considering how often there are stories of racism and rarely much done about it (the white guy who shot up a mosque got out free of charges) and the infamous Fergeson thing a while back, etc. In my country, the Netherlands, it's illegal, yet a politician got away with hate speech saying that 'Marrokan people should leave our fine country'. The entire muslim ban a while ago was legal before a judge shut it down, in which people got banned from the US regardless if they had a greencard just because of the country they're from. Not to mention the ' Over and over again I hear triggered knee-jerk bullsh*t in response to whatever particular buzzword catches their attention' kiiiiiiinda applies to you considering how you reacted to this article. Harassment happens, whether we like it or not. Otherwise Hyuga wouldn't have gotten his 1 year ban or the Alex Strife thing at APEX 2015.
"Sure, accuse me of failing to engage in argumentation when you guys refuse to even process what I'm talking about. Zero curiosity, zero integrity, 100% conformity." I'm from the Netherlands, I only recently found out about how certain things jn America work (how hard it is to get ID, the voting system, etc.) so I can't really be blamed for not knowing how that works. And sure, It's the younger generations fault for screwing up in the future Mr. 26 year old. Your still a young'un too, don't act high and mighty to a group of people you apply too
Yeah, that's it, pretend I'm simply an irrational reactionary without a leg to stand on. Keep ignoring that leg!

Liberal smugness knows no bounds.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's it, pretend I'm simply an irrational reactionary without a leg to stand on. Keep ignoring that leg!

Liberal smugness knows no bounds.
I'm sorry if I genuinely came over as that, I was simply trying to make a point that there is indeed racism and harassment in the world despite it being illegal according to you. You must respond to murders like this "pfft, no way, that's illegal, never happened"

It was nothing, really. Just quick thinking on my feet and being unable to stand that kind of behavior, especially to any I call friend.
Can deconfirm. I cannot stand people mistreating eachother either and am especially protective of my friends due to not making them easily. Knowing what to do in the moment and being able to follow through with it is still far from nothing. Don't play yourself down.

Where the hell is racism legal in the West?

Why should a bunch of lying, hypocritical, bleeding-heart regressives be taken seriously? Over and over again I hear triggered knee-jerk bullsh*t in response to whatever particular buzzword catches their attention, regurgitating some unoriginal, dishonest, misplaced remark as if they've somehow one-upped their opposition. The human mind should be more than a predictable flow-chart.

Sure, accuse me of failing to engage in argumentation when you guys refuse to even process what I'm talking about. Zero curiosity, zero integrity, 100% conformity.

Oh well, it's not exactly your fault, being so young. It will be if you don't shape up quickly though.
Literally everywhere. Racism is legal literally everywhere. It isn't a legal crime to be racist. It is a legal crime to commit tax fraud. That's the difference between social justice and court justice. It is so mind-numbingly simple I don't understand where you're getting confused.

You continue to go off topic and not address what I've said, I understand what you're saying; it's just balogna. It's nonsense. I'm telling you it's nonsense. You again, say people are making things up and refuse to back up anything you've said.

You're 26. You are literally not even middle aged, and you're assuming my age off of your own egotistical high you're going on about right now. What are you trying to achieve in this conversation? It's gone nowhere and nothing you've said has even been accurate, let alone actually had any purpose..

Last edited:
Literally everywhere. Racism is legal literally everywhere. It isn't a legal crime to be racist. It is a legal crime to commit tax fraud. That's the difference between social justice and court justice. It is so mind-numbingly simple I don't understand where you're getting confused.

You continue to go off topic and not address what I've said, I understand what you're saying; it's just balogna. It's nonsense. I'm telling you it's nonsense. You again, say people are making things up and refuse to back up anything you've said.

You're 26. You are literally not even middle aged, and you're assuming my age off of your own egotistical high you're going on about right now. What are you trying to achieve in this conversation? It's gone nowhere and nothing you've said has even been accurate, let alone actually had any purpose..
Racism is not legal anywhere in the US.

Last edited:
Racism is not legal anywhere in the US.
upload_2017-2-16_12-13-4.png

It quite clearly is. You will not be fined, arrested, or other for being racist. It is legal everywhere in the US. Regardless, this is pushing way too off topic. I don't really see any point in this specific conversation, it has nothing to do with harassment in the Smash community, or really, much of anything.

You could argue it has to do with the whole "social justice" thing, but I'm not an SJW, so nobody here is gaining anything from this.

Last edited:
Could have fooled me because of how often it happens. Hell, the new US president got cheers for racist remarks
He doesn't.

I don't like trump but ultimately is irrelevant since racism is not legal.

View attachment 126176

It quite clearly is. You will not be fined, arrested, or other for being racist. It is legal everywhere in the US. Regardless, this is pushing way too off topic. I don't really see any point in this specific conversation, it has nothing to do with harassment in the Smash community, or really, much of anything.

You could argue it has to do with the whole "social justice" thing, but I'm not an SJW, so nobody here is gaining anything from this.
Uhh no.

You can say hateful things sure, free speech and all that.

But if you are a college, car dealership, or anything of the sort and you show clear racism. People will come down on you.

He doesn't.

Uhh no.

But if you are a college, car dealership, or anything of the sort and you show clear racism. People will come down on you.
"Mexico has bad hombres, I'm gonna build a wall and ban people from 7 countries just because they're muslim countries and don't do business with me"

Thing is, 'free speech' only goes so far. When does it become hate speech, i.e. racism like the KKK or white supremacy?

He doesn't.

Uhh no.

You described exactly what something being legal is. Something being legal, protected speech doesn't mean that you receive no consequences for said speech as long as the punishment doesn't come from the government.

Last edited:
Racism isn't illegal, but some act's of Racism are like not hiring a person because their black.

A person can say some really ****ed Racist things and it won't be illegal because of the 2nd amendment.

I hope that clears things up.

SJWs always do this...

Just make up whatever sh*t you like and pretend it's true. No research required. Reality just bends to your whims, right? I guess that's what it's like to be a vaguely attractive young woman.

Any lady can cry wolf and suddenly we have an all-pervasive institutional crisis on our hands. White knight trumpets blare forth--self-loathing little cucks perfectly willing to condemn their fellow man in contemptible desperation.
Okay bro take a breath for a minute! When a woman makes an accusation naturally it should be investigated. We don't assume she's lying, but we also don't assume she's telling the truth either. Innocent until proven guilty okay?

Also people get people who just want you to be respectful are frequently mixed up with SJWs even if they're not.

SJWs do what they do so they can be praised by strangers on the internet for their "noble" actions. They're moral narcicists and it's kinda sad they need this validation from others.

Here's an example of what an SJW would probably look like:

Me: Hey guys I found this blue boy's beanie.

SJW: WHAT YOU THINK BECAUSE IT'S BLUE IT'S AUTOMATICALLY A BOY'S?!?! YOU'RE A SEXIST ASSHOLE, GO DIE IN A FIRE!!!

Me: No... that's not what I meant... Okay, maybe it's not necessarily a boy's hat if it's blue, but that reaction was a bit out of line for what I did. I wasn't intending to be rude so you don't need to treat me like that!

And the other

Me: *cracks offensive joke*

Decent Respectful Human Being: Dude, that's kinda rude! Knock it off!

Me: Okay, I'm sorry...

PS: And bro if you don't stop talking like that, you're gonna die alone. Women don't like guys who talk like that. That's just my advice though.

Last edited:
Okay bro take a breath for a minute! When a woman makes an accusation naturally it should be investigated. We don't assume she's lying, but we also don't assume she's telling the truth either. Innocent until proven guilty okay?

Also people get people who just want you to be respectful are frequently mixed up with SJWs even if they're not.

SJWs do this so they can be praised by strangers on the internet for their "noble" actions. They're moral narcicists and it's kinda sad they need this validation from others.

Here's an example of what an SJW would probably look like:

Me: Hey guys I found this blue boy's beanie.

SJW: WHAT YOU THINK BECAUSE IT'S BLUE IT'S AUTOMATICALLY A BOY'S?!?! YOU'RE A SEXIST *******, GO DIE IN A FIRE!!!

Me: No... that's not what I meant... okay maybe I was wrong but that reaction was a bit out of line for what I did. I wasn't intending to be rude so you don't need to treat me like that!

And the other

Me: *cracks offensive joke*

Decent Respectful Human Being: Dude, that's kinda rude! Knock it off!

Me: Okay, I'm sorry...

PS: And bro if you don't stop talking like that, you're gonna die alone. Women don't like guys who talk like that. That's just my advice though.
I hope for your own sake you're joking.

I hope for your own sake you're joking.
No, I'm not. I've run into SJWs too and I agree they're cancerous. Like for instance, my friend's little sister has a friend that's moved in that's an uber SJW.

She was listening to a buzzfeed podcast about "how it was racist that black people had a harder time finding black bras" and my friend and I were like "THAT IS THE STUPIDEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD! I HAVE NOT HEARD A BLACK WOMAN COMPLAIN ABOUT THAT EVEN ONCE!!"

And then she called us racists, sexists, and white supremacists for calling BS.

SJWs make up issues on the fly. But sexual harassment at tourneys is a serious issue unlike that "bra thing".

As both a T.O and as someone who has close friends who are smash-sisters I wish the ladies and bystanders would come to us more and say something so that we can act upon it as soon as possible. While of course we can't act immediately unless we see the harassment ourselves but if we have some sort of evidence we can do our best to report and investigate it.

I'm certain I speak for all T.Os when I say that more than anything we want people to have fun and feel safe at our events because at the end of the day we're all a bunch of nerds playing the same games that we love and if we don't feel safe with our own kind we're destined to fall apart.

"Mexico has bad hombres, I'm gonna build a wall and ban people from 7 countries just because they're muslim countries and don't do business with me"

Thing is, 'free speech' only goes so far. When does it become hate speech, i.e. racism like the KKK or white supremacy?
Free speech doesn't protect saying things like, "kill that person." Threats of violence aren't allowed. They can say any hateful things they want, that's how free speech works.

I don't agree with it but that's how it works.

Trumps wall has more to due with illegal immigrants that just outright Mexicans.

I didn't vote for him but in terms of ethnic minoroties trump actually had higher % than past rebulican presidents.

Yeah still don't like him but he did something right in that area to get elected.

You described exactly what something being legal is. Something being legal, protected speech doesn't mean that you receive no consequences for said speech as long as the punishment doesn't come from the government.
I agree with this, what I am saying is institutional or business racism is absolutely not legal.

Free speech doesn't protect saying things like, "kill that person." Threats of violence aren't allowed. They can say any hateful things they want, that's how free speech works.
Not in my country it doesn't. "You have the right to say whatever you want as long as you do not break any laws"
"Discrimination of any kind is forbidden" "Hate speech is forbidden"
Saying "I want someone to gas all the jews because they deserve it" falls for free speech? Damn. America sucks more and more

I demand to see video evidence. Oh, you don't have any? Pathetic and typical. The only "harassment" happening is at the hands of those who cry wolf without proof. Even if you actually are a victim of harrassment, spreading rumours without proof only serves to empower vicious liars. Gather some proof first before opening your gob.
I'm not a fan of most of the things he has to say after this statement, but I agree with this. There is a severe lack of video evidence to back up any of the supposed harassment that has been supposedly going on. Personal experiences don't count either, as history shows us that these "experiences" (especially when it has to do with the female gender for some reason) can easily be fabricated and exaggerated for self-centered reasons.

Is there anyone here that can provide video proof of female harassment going on in Smash tournaments? More than one would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a fan of most of the things he has to say after this statement, but I agree with this. There is a severe lack of video evidence to back up any of the supposed harassment that has been supposedly going on. Personal experiences don't count either, as history shows us that these "experiences" (especially when it has to do with the female gender for some reason) can easily be fabricated and exaggerated for self-centered reasons.

Is there anyone here that can provide video proof of female harassment going on in Smash tournaments? More than one would be greatly appreciated.
Here's the main issue. Why would there be video evidence available to a regular attendee? Security is supposed to have that, and they sure as **** ain't gonna give it to you. Not to mention it IMMEDIATELY puts blame on the victim. If you want to ask for video evidence, ask yourself this. HOW are you supposed to have it? Because you'd need a camera rolling and hidden from plain sight.

Not in my country it doesn't. "You have the right to say whatever you want as long as you do not break any laws"
"Discrimination of any kind is forbidden" "Hate speech is forbidden"
Saying "I want someone to gas all the jews because they deserve it" falls for free speech? Damn. America sucks more and more
Pewdiepie lost his sponsors trying to be an edge lord with humor saying stuff like that.

America might let you say horrible things but others can also choose to react to it like YouTube and Disney did.

Free speech let's you say horrible bigoted things but it is there right.

Pewdiepie lost his sponsors trying to be an edge lord with humor saying stuff like that.

America might let you say horrible things but others can also choose to react to it like YouTube and Disney did.

Free speech let's you say horrible bigoted things but it is there right.
But that's hate speech. Christ is America stupid. The reason why Youtube and Disney stepped up? Because Felix was important to them, and it's something that paints a negative image on the company. Oh, and the nazi that got punched in the face a while ago? He made an article in which he asked "should the black race be exterminated?" Concluding that it 'should'. The only punishment he got was the punch to the face

Don't necessarily need video proof. Tournaments are in public, so chances are you might find a few people who witnessed if it happened if you poked around.

I'd say he's right, when people say SJW they mean stereotypical tumblr trash
Using Tumblr has an insult?

Yeah OK. :rolleyes:

No, I'm not. I've run into SJWs too and I agree they're cancerous. Like for instance, my friend's little sister has a friend that's moved in that's an uber SJW.

She was listening to a buzzfeed podcast about "how it was racist that black people had a harder time finding black bras" and my friend and I were like "THAT IS THE STUPIDEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD! I HAVE NOT HEARD A BLACK WOMAN COMPLAIN ABOUT THAT EVEN ONCE!!"

And then she called us racists, sexists, and white supremacists for calling BS.

SJWs make up issues on the fly. But sexual harassment at tourneys is a serious issue unlike that "bra thing".
I'm not sure what the term "SJW" means to be stupid since it means you fight for Social Issues, if you're using the term in the Buzzword way then you could use the term "Ignorant" since the word has real world meaning, and isn't just used when someone says something that the other people does agree with.

This comment section has derailed, and people are focusing on all the wrong things.
And I would agree with you good sir.

Using Tumblr has an insult?

Yeah OK. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what the term "SJW" means to be stupid since it means you fight for Social Issues, if you're using the term in the Buzzword way then you could use the term "Ignorant" since the word has real world meaning, and isn't just used when someone says something that the other people does agree with.

And I would agree with you good sir.
Noooooo, I'm talking about the bad apples of tumblr which have become a vocal minority who scream 'sexism and racism' at anything that inconveniences them. That's what people think of when they think SJW

Noooooo, I'm talking about the bad apples of tumblr which have become a vocal minority who scream 'sexism and racism' at anything that inconveniences them. That's what people think of when they think SJW
Yeah, those type of people aren't just from Tumblr and most people who think that of those people can simply just ignore them if they bug them so much.

Ive had a tumblr for quite awhile and some of the most famous users are social justice proponents. They arent quite SJWs though because they usually make a good and intelligent point. However a lot of their supporters are SJWs who dont really know what they're talking about and just want something to be angry about. Tumblr is just a safe haven for people like that. Their viewpoints are generally shared by the community and it functions as a safe platform for their stupidity. I wouldnt even say theyre a minority on tumblr.

Edit: to be fair, i have definitely seen popular posts condemning SJWs on tumblr. There are plenty of intelligent and fair people on tumblr as well. And most of them have a good sense of humor.

All in all, SJWs bring a bad name to their viewpoints. A lot of them have good ideologies, but go around supporting said ideologies in the worst, most toxic ways. They misrepresent the actual intelligent progressive individuals. Sort of like your typical uneducated conservative who think all liberals are SJWs.

Last edited:
User was warned for this post
Girls belong in the kitchen, not playing smash bros. Stop it and get back to cleaning!

everybody should be treated with respect. Unfortunatelly this is not what happens, specially women, and it's not restricted to smash by any means. People needs to mature and accept the others, they're just like you, nothing better, nothing worse. The smash comunity should be way more prettier and pleasing if those people didnt had biased view towards women.

everybody should be treated with respect. Unfortunatelly this is not what happens, specially women, and it's not restricted to smash by any means. People needs to mature and accept the others, they're just like you, nothing better, nothing worse. The smash comunity should be way more prettier and pleasing if those people didnt had biased view towards women.
I'm sure you have absolutely no problem with men trash talking each other.

That's fine, you shouldn't.

Some degree of open disrespect is commonplace in competitive environments. Yes, it may get out of hand sometimes, but responsibility must always be focused upon specific individuals, not an entire group whose vast majority had nothing to do with whatever incident is causing dubious uproar.

Guilt by association is regressive.

Last edited:
I demand to see video evidence. Oh, you don't have any? Pathetic and typical. The only "harassment" happening is at the hands of those who cry wolf without proof. Even if you actually are a victim of harrassment, spreading rumours without proof only serves to empower vicious liars. Gather some proof first before opening your gob.

Nobody should care how much you dislike banter. If you really prefer an environment where everyone pretends to be your friend then destroys your reputation behind your back to one where camaraderie is shored up with playful insults, then don't step up to a sport which naturally appeals to a predominantly male environment.

And, yes! People SHOULD be shunned from the community for tossing out allegations without proof! Any good community has a duty to do this. I don't care how much gender privilege you have as a woman in your day-to-day life, the Smash community must do everything in it's legal power to force you to leave that by the door before you come in. If that results in a woman never winning a big tournament, nobody should give a damn besides from the women who wamt to win. And they should use that to get motivated to git gud, not try to get Zer0 kicked out by calling him a rapist or whatever.

Anyone who would presume to discriminate against somebody for being straight, white, male, Jewish, Christian, atheist, cisgender, or most importantly, an ideological dissident against feminist dogma, must be prevented from gaining any influence as or with community moderators, TOs, or anything else. In the theoretical situation where other "identity groups" were discriminated against, shunning those responsible would be just as important. But right now, it is only theoretical. You cannot cry institutional discrimination while using the institution as a megaphone.

What happens if you don't? Well, no matter how much they claim to "not be an SJW" or "only want to punch Nazis" or "that feminism is equality" it always ends up the same. Dissidents are driven out, their livelihoods and families attacked. Communities dissolve because the backbones of them make the mistake of speaking out, or of not being privileged enough. Domestic violence aid gets turned into a cesspool where men are driven away, and women and children sexually abused by the feminist women who work there, while Erin Pizzey and Canadian senator Anne Cooles are struck from the history books for opposing these abuses. And the money? Pocketed by people who already own two boats apiece.

I know how this starts and ends. And enough people in the gaming community know this too. Next time anyone claims to be a harassment victim, or a victim of anything. Always seek proof. It's better to let a thousand criminals free then to punish even a single innocent.
Sorry, but I think you dropped your hat

Says someone who fails to listen and promotes their own agenda. I dont care about your feelings, grow up. Life is unfair, we just dont like this poster in our face that men suck, gamers suck, and we should feel ashamed because we are men and gamers. We dont need diversity, we need to have fun and stop treating the ugliness of life as if its the end of the world. Women are not being systematically treated unfairly in the community, they are supported by most of the fanbase. This is not an issue, this is something that should be dealt with seriously with CHARACTER being the focus instead of calling wolf of institutional sexism everytime a girl gets a less than nice look her direction. Screw this bull
Did I step on your nerves? Lmao, people are so serious on the internet.

D

Nobody should care how much you dislike banter. If you really prefer an environment where everyone pretends to be your friend then destroys your reputation behind your back to one where camaraderie is shored up with playful insults, then don't step up to a sport which naturally appeals to a predominantly male environment.

And, yes! People SHOULD be shunned from the community for tossing out allegations without proof! Any good community has a duty to do this. I don't care how much gender privilege you have as a woman in your day-to-day life, the Smash community must do everything in it's legal power to force you to leave that by the door before you come in. If that results in a woman never winning a big tournament, nobody should give a damn besides from the women who wamt to win. And they should use that to get motivated to git gud, not try to get Zer0 kicked out by calling him a rapist or whatever.

Anyone who would presume to discriminate against somebody for being straight, white, male, Jewish, Christian, atheist, cisgender, or most importantly, an ideological dissident against feminist dogma, must be prevented from gaining any influence as or with community moderators, TOs, or anything else. In the theoretical situation where other "identity groups" were discriminated against, shunning those responsible would be just as important. But right now, it is only theoretical. You cannot cry institutional discrimination while using the institution as a megaphone.

What happens if you don't? Well, no matter how much they claim to "not be an SJW" or "only want to punch Nazis" or "that feminism is equality" it always ends up the same. Dissidents are driven out, their livelihoods and families attacked. Communities dissolve because the backbones of them make the mistake of speaking out, or of not being privileged enough. Domestic violence aid gets turned into a cesspool where men are driven away, and women and children sexually abused by the feminist women who work there, while Erin Pizzey and Canadian senator Anne Cooles are struck from the history books for opposing these abuses. And the money? Pocketed by people who already own two boats apiece.

I know how this starts and ends. And enough people in the gaming community know this too. Next time anyone claims to be a harassment victim, or a victim of anything. Always seek proof. It's better to let a thousand criminals free then to punish even a single innocent.
exactly how ******** are you?

oh hey guys looks like this girl doesn't have a camera, guess i'll just **** her.

oh wait, maybe I can go to jail, maybe i can be shunned from the gaming community forever?

nah, she won't have proof, it's all good.

I'm a female smasher, I'm entering my locals and going to weeklies bc I want to try my hand at Evo, if I can get good enough. I'll admit, I'm also bodybuilding on the sides specifically to intimidate toxic ppl and hopefully deter them from touching me or assaulting me. I don't care what horrible bull**** you spew from your mouth I can ignore that, but its when **** gets physical that I get scared. I'm lucky that my locals don't allow hate or toxicicty, but I'll be damed if I feel comfortable telling on an abuser with opinions like "wheres the proof". :/ I'm just here bc I love the games, I don't want any trouble and I'm not going to tolerate any.

Last edited:
Top Bottom