• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Women In Smash: Harassment at the Local Level

Photo Credits: Robert Paul (@tempusrob), Graphic: SB | Kuba

Video games give you the opportunity to showcase your skills regardless of your background. They reward you for your efforts with unbiased fairness. It doesn’t matter where you come from, how much money you have, or anything else similarly superficial; if you have the work ethic and the skill, you can become the best.

However, the inclusiveness of video games seems to be betrayed at times by their communities. It’s no surprise that the FGC is predominantly made up of males and that in some cases women find it difficult to assimilate. This arrangement brews a perfect recipe for harassment towards women not just in the Smash scene, but all gaming communities. Why this disparity is present in the first place is, like most things, complex and up for debate, and therefore not worth going into. However, the consequences are serious and deserve to be talked about.

Over the weekend, I had the chance to talk with several of female Smash community members who all had encountered some sort of harassment. Their stories stand to remind us that despite how progressive the community has been there are still areas of weakness that we need to collectively work on.

Now, I’m not suggesting that there exists a systematic oppression of women or that harassment is widespread; most of us are good people and are incredibly accepting. However, while we may not be the source of the harassment ourselves, some of us choose to stay silent about it.

Sometimes, that can be just as bad.

There’s a female-focused Smash group on Facebook with 200 members-and-counting. Its members post random Smash-related things or organize plans to go to tournaments together. Other times and quite commonly, they exchange stories about their experiences with harassment at their local tournaments. Two-to-three times a month, long forms are posted detailing the nature of their encounters. In other words, posts like these are far more common than they should be.

Photo Credits: Robert Paul (@tempusrob)

Maggie Demer, one of the smashers I interviewed and a victim of assault herself, told me that stories like hers are posted frequently and often it's hard to find support.

“People post their negative experiences a lot. I've posted mine from UGC and another girl at the event was there to make sure I wasn't alone. And girls who have been assaulted by another smashers often post their statements there [the FB group] before releasing to their local scene.”

Demer also notes that the some local scenes are very toxic and generally less accepting than the greater scene. But even then the majority of people at the local level are genuinely respectful towards women, it’s just that the ‘lone wolves’ are not reprimanded as harshly. Why is that?

There is evidently a lot more harassment going on at the local level than there is at the more major level. This is because smashers at locals communicate at a much more personal basis. Lauren Casapao, who went public about her assault last year, sums up the dilemma perfectly.

“At nationals or at a broader level in general, people are more concerned with the problem. But locally, people know the victims and perpetrators personally which makes it difficult to take a side.”

Many of the other girls I interviewed with echoed this same point; often local smashers are united by a emotional bond, and this has significant influence over how they react to cases of harassment.

Sesh Evans is a longtime member of the community who has experienced some discrimination but has witnessed more. She reverberates Casapao’s point, saying; “There are a lot of girls out there that struggle with their local scene because [...] the TOs and people in charge won't bend this or that person because they don't consider it serious enough or they can't choose a side.”

Unfortunately, many of the dismaying accounts posted rarely if ever reach to those outside the group. In fact, the only reason I am aware of them is because somebody on the Smashboards team, Anna Molly, is a part of it. So why are so few people talking about this? Is the Smash community just turning a blind eye to it? Well, yes and no. In addition to it being a more ‘local’ problem that makes it hard for the greater community to focus on, there’s something else going on at play.

“...Smashers are slow to admit it [harassment] and even slower to do something about it. No one wants to do anything too drastic, lest they get labeled a "sjw" or "white knight" or something.”

That's Kayla MacKay, one of the women I interviewed, referring to the reactions towards her experiences with harassment at her local scene.

Kayla started off playing Smash casually until her friend introduced her to Smashboards, where she learned advanced tech such as wavedashing and short-hop lasers. She stopped playing for a little bit, but eventually she started going to tournaments where she initially faced no issues.

“The community at the time was filled with people who had been competing for 5+ years, and the vast majority were all university-age students who treated me with respect.”

But that changed as the older generation Smashers were replaced with some of the more younger kids, who MacKay personally felt less comfortable with. She experienced bouts of harassment, such as being asked for ‘nudes’ by a top player and being told upon attending a local tournament that she ‘must be lost’. These instances, she says, weren’t “anything major right away”, but that they were “a clear signal that the overall attitudes towards women had changed”.

Eventually harassment grew more serious though, but according to Kayla, nobody stepped in to try and stop it. That isn’t because smashers are bad people though. A majority are just afraid to speak up because doing so could mean ‘rocking the boat’ and potentially challenging the status quo.

I think a lot of this has to do with the recent subculture that has developed in response to the whole ‘PC’ movement. The political correctness campaign is often considered to be a painfully stupid way of earning ‘good guy points’ - and that isn't far off from the truth. Everybody can agree that some people go to ridiculous extremes in order to deter any sort of ‘offensiveness’, so likewise many are united in mutual hatred against ‘PC culture’.

But the ‘anti’ PC movement has also seen itself reaching similar ridiculous extremes. Like all collective movements, it has formed a sort of group consciousness where nobody really thinks for themselves and instead everybody adheres to the idea of “You’re offended? Suck it up.” This mentality is one I can generally agree with, but eventually it can get to the point where legitimate social issues or sentiments are just brushed off, and any proponents of those said ideas are labeled ‘SJWs’ and are accordingly ostracized.

The result is things that aren’t really ‘SJW’ by definition are labeled such, and the credibility of any argument can be dismissed just by using the word. This is a problem as actual issues that deserve to be talked about become lumped in with insipid feminist rhetoric.

Females face an array of challenges in the community. Again, it is reasonable to assume that most other fighting game communities have a similar problem. These problems are generally incurred by a small percentage of the community, but until we start talking about it more and become less tolerant of the bad apples, change is unlikely. We need to learn to be comfortable talking about the subject and act on an ethical basis instead of staying silent because it’s more convenient.

Some of the harassment women face isn’t easy to stop. Some people’s attitudes towards women are just the result of a deeply embedded and complex sociological reason, and that is out of our control. But we can control our reactions to these people, and be a little more serious in how they're handled instead of letting them go unchecked.

I don't want this to put off any woman interested in joining the scene. This is a problem that can be overcome, but only if women continually join and challenge adversity. Let this be an impetus for both genders to work together and hopefully resolve this issue.

Only when we can learn to put aside differences and accept the reality of what’s going on can we begin to take the necessary steps in the right direction.

Last edited:
William "Wncozens" Cozens

Comments

[QUOTE="Erkon, post: 21655525, member: 378651";]however, this does nullify the points made about harassment against women.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be "Does this...?" but you made a mistake

I think the real reason that there are so few female smash players has been fogged by ignorance and emotion. It has almost nothing to do with sexism in the smash community, harassment driving new players away, or anything even related to that.

First off, boys are better at videogames, kappa. Seriously though; on average males have faster auditory and visual reaction time compared to females of the same sample (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4456887/). Furthermore, videogames have been systematically marketed towards males for the past couple decades (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i08CVkBxvBM). This has resulted in a predominantly male scene, with most people having played videogames their whole life(making it harder for new players to get into it). This is especially true in the fighting game community, which is heavily geared towards male players and audiences.

Smash isn't the only eSport with predominantly male competitors. In fact, eSports as a whole is almost entirely male. Its not reasonable to say this is the result of sexism and oppression, if it were that simple then there would still be quite a few female competitors who are strong enough to not let some sexist jerks stop them from achieving their goals.
Clearly there is a larger, overarching problem. Boys have been playing videogames, especially fighting games for a longer time on average. They also have an inherent advantage in the form of reaction time. This all makes it difficult for girls to get into the competative scene, or rather there are just less girls capable of doing it. Thats not based off gender prejudism, its just a simple fact that must be accepted.

Obviously there are some outliers, for example: supergirlkels and jude. And I respect them wholeheartedly for their accomplishments, and they could wreck me any day. Even lesser known female players who commit themselves and try to make it in the scene have my full respect, because thats the only way things can get better.

To close, if you want to solve the problem of a predominantly male scene, you wont get anywhere by trying to stop harassment and sexism (although those are well intended goals). The only way to fix the problem is to bring your female friends, make them feel welcome, and get them involved in the community. The sexism and harassment will be fixed by this as well.

I've been there and I've seen it happen. We had one guy in our scene who was groping the girls in my scene. I let them stay at my room in Final Round just to get away from him.

At the same event, one of my friends was being hit on by some random piece of trash. Once I saw her stroking her hair nervously, I knew she didn't know him and he was being serious. I managed to make up a lie, look at my phone, and say we're needed in the game room, pulling her away.

I won't tolerate that kind of behavior when my friends are involved.

Good write up, thanks for contributing. However, I hate to be that guy, but I gotta say I find your repeated use of the word "assault" to be a bit sensational, and unfair to people who have been legitimately assaulted outside of the Smash scene, whether it be physical, sexual, or both. Its obviously splitting hairs to me, but things like that are what give the misogynistic alt-right asshole types something to complain about. Asking someone for nudes is undeniably a **** move, but that's a far cry from the kind of assault women face in other aspects of life.

Last edited:
Smash players don't even have respect for each other. Is it really that surprising that this cancerous community is hostile to women as well?

And don't even attempt to imply that this is a vocal minority issue. Because I'm a member of many gaming communities and nothing even comes close to the toxicity that these forums regularly produce.

Last edited:
I've been there and I've seen it happen. We had one guy in our scene who was groping the girls in my scene. I let them stay at my room in Final Round just to get away from him.

At the same event, one of my friends was being hit on by some random piece of trash. Once I saw her stroking her hair nervously, I knew she didn't know him and he was being serious. I managed to make up a lie, look at my phone, and say we're needed in the game room, pulling her away.

I won't tolerate that kind of behavior when my friends are involved.
Thank you for doing that! I'd really appreciate it if I were in that situation and someone did that for me. That was awesome of you, dude.

Anita Sarkeesian must being laughing her ass of right now. :laugh:

Seriously, this has been the most fun I had on here since that one really messed up disk of Smash 4 was found.

If I ever saw a girl be harassed in any form, be it at a tournament or elsewhere, I would definitely try to intercept -- I'm not even one for conflict. I'd make sure to stand up for her in some way, and the TO would definitely be informed. (I'd do the same for guys, too, but there's just something worse about when it happens to a girl. Chivalry isn't dead.) I think most feel the same way.

If anything they were super excited that a girl was playing and really keen to have me stick around.
I've never met a girl in-person who plays Smash (haven't gotten a chance to go to a tournament outside the 3DS days). Still, what you said pretty much sums up my attitude toward female Smashers, and female gamers in general.

wncozens wncozens
In light of the frankly ridiculous responses this article has received, let me premise my response to your article with this: I am not the least bit feminist. And I'm even against the attitude of SJWs. (By "SJW," I mean the true ones -- the crazies.)

That said, you absolutely covered this topic fairly. How anyone could see it otherwise is beyond me. I actually went into the article somewhat sceptical of its motive; yet, I kept an open mind, and you pleasantly surprised me. Great work as always. This is an issue that, while a minor one in terms of frequency, needs to be addressed.

The negative side of these comments are certainly the minority in the Smash community. If you don't believe that, just look at how many likes the article received. Not every article on SmashBoards gets that many that quickly.

If I ever saw a girl be harassed in any form, be it at a tournament or elsewhere, I would definitely try to intercept -- I'm not even one for conflict. I'd make sure to stand up for her in some way, and the TO would definitely be informed. (I'd do the same for guys, too, but there's just something worse about when it happens to a girl. Chivalry isn't dead.) I think most feel the same way.

I've never met a girl in-person who plays Smash (haven't gotten a chance to go to a tournament outside the 3DS days). Still, what you said pretty much sums up my attitude toward female Smashers, and female gamers in general.

wncozens wncozens
In light of the frankly ridiculous responses this article has received, let me premise my response to your article with this: I am not the least bit feminist. And I'm even against the attitude of SJWs. (By "SJW," I mean the true ones -- the crazies.)

That said, you absolutely covered this topic fairly. How anyone could see it otherwise is beyond me. I actually went into the article somewhat sceptical of its motive; yet, I kept an open mind, and you pleasantly surprised me. Great work as always. This is an issue that, while a minor one in terms of frequency, needs to be addressed.

The negative side of these comments are certainly the minority in the Smash community. If you don't believe that, just look at how many likes the article received. Not every article on SmashBoards gets that many that quickly.
Minority eh? Just because of some likes? Well let's do a little math here!

38 articles likes ÷ 247,218 current members = 0.0001537104/ ~.01%

611 FB article likes ÷ 247,218 members = 0.0024715029/ ~.2 %

While obviously the fact that somebody didn't like this article is not grounds for being sexist. Heck there are probably several users who didn't even read it, in addition to inactive accounts. But this is still at best mediocre, cherry-picking, anecdotal evidence.

AND YOU DON'T EVEN REACH A WHOLE NUMBER!!! THAT'S HOW LITTLE THE SUPPORT FOR THIS IS!!!

What a warm and welcoming community!

Last edited:
Thank you for doing that! I'd really appreciate it if I were in that situation and someone did that for me. That was awesome of you, dude.
It was nothing, really. Just quick thinking on my feet and being unable to stand that kind of behavior, especially to any I call friend.

Last edited:
Well since everyone and there goldfish is getting in on this i may as well too. I am squii the fish and I am a for glory/wi-fi warrior. I attended some events back in the 3.2 project M days but for the most part I am inactive in all aspects of live competition so please be aware that my opinion may infact mean nothing.

Regardless of whatever gender, background, or race if you are making people feel uneasy to a point where they want to stop attending events and being part of a community then you should probably get banned from said events yourself. Nothing is wrong with having beef with someone, jabbing one another on social media and chain grabbing someone to death on FD. But the moment you make someone feel like they have to step out of a game or scene for reasons not actually pertaining to the game itself then it becomes a problem.

It affects everyone too, and not just one group. Potential competitors not going to events and making them smaller, "Muh secret club" mentality stopping newcomers from playing the game, it reflects poorly on the community and we end up having 120+ post discussions in the comment section where everyone puts their best efforts into making one another cringe, and of course even that ESAM video that made some valid points but ended up being off and weird for reasons i can't quite put my finger on.

As it turns out some of us who play video are infact immature undesirable people, just like there are in all walks of life and hobbies. There are infact people who cross boundries and act like jerks and they will always be there. The truth is its not really about making a safe space for yourself and others, its more about meeting new people, making new friends, learning about different opinions and sharing yours in a civil manner whilst you Dair that person so bad he/she ends up looking like a Jabroni. Thats what makes people come back and attend these things. Everyone is so focused in this comment section about what should "NOT BE" at these events and forgetting about "WHAT SHOULD BE" at them and thats civility.

Also this article kinda addresses some serious issues about assault, victims guilt, and how it can hinder peoples live. Its nice the Facebook group helps people support each other in need, and online communities are always dope. But Friendly reminder that its also good to seek professional help as there are a lot of pseudo psychologists in comment sections, forums and even facebook.

All I'm taking away from this is to treat women how I would any good friend of mine. If I see someone being a creep or jerk to another, back the person up.

I demand to see video evidence. Oh, you don't have any? Pathetic and typical. The only "harassment" happening is at the hands of those who cry wolf without proof. Even if you actually are a victim of harrassment, spreading rumours without proof only serves to empower vicious liars. Gather some proof first before opening your gob.

Nobody should care how much you dislike banter. If you really prefer an environment where everyone pretends to be your friend then destroys your reputation behind your back to one where camaraderie is shored up with playful insults, then don't step up to a sport which naturally appeals to a predominantly male environment.

And, yes! People SHOULD be shunned from the community for tossing out allegations without proof! Any good community has a duty to do this. I don't care how much gender privilege you have as a woman in your day-to-day life, the Smash community must do everything in it's legal power to force you to leave that by the door before you come in. If that results in a woman never winning a big tournament, nobody should give a damn besides from the women who wamt to win. And they should use that to get motivated to git gud, not try to get Zer0 kicked out by calling him a rapist or whatever.

Anyone who would presume to discriminate against somebody for being straight, white, male, Jewish, Christian, atheist, cisgender, or most importantly, an ideological dissident against feminist dogma, must be prevented from gaining any influence as or with community moderators, TOs, or anything else. In the theoretical situation where other "identity groups" were discriminated against, shunning those responsible would be just as important. But right now, it is only theoretical. You cannot cry institutional discrimination while using the institution as a megaphone.

What happens if you don't? Well, no matter how much they claim to "not be an SJW" or "only want to punch Nazis" or "that feminism is equality" it always ends up the same. Dissidents are driven out, their livelihoods and families attacked. Communities dissolve because the backbones of them make the mistake of speaking out, or of not being privileged enough. Domestic violence aid gets turned into a cesspool where men are driven away, and women and children sexually abused by the feminist women who work there, while Erin Pizzey and Canadian senator Anne Cooles are struck from the history books for opposing these abuses. And the money? Pocketed by people who already own two boats apiece.

I know how this starts and ends. And enough people in the gaming community know this too. Next time anyone claims to be a harassment victim, or a victim of anything. Always seek proof. It's better to let a thousand criminals free then to punish even a single innocent.
I can say that I do agree with the fact that this is not as big of a problem as its being shown as. this is because ever since i have been going to tournaments, every single person has been treated equally no harassment whatsoever. But i do believe they are instances of this happening and i don't agree with the fact that you need video evidence to prove it. You can use some logic. for instance, since most of the community is male, they will most likely treat females differently since there are different. And since the community is big enough for there to be at least a group of women to have an instance of harassment(probably more but trying to be conservative w/ my numbers). But, i feel like this article is blowing this situation out of proportion and we cant say men need to step it up. that's smearing 10% of the community that is bad on the majority that is fine. (btw i highly doubt 10% of the community harasses women, that's a lot of people, but i mean u never know)

Last edited:

Photo Credits: Robert Paul (@tempusrob), Graphic: SB | Kuba

Video games give you the opportunity to showcase your skills regardless of your background. They reward you for your efforts with unbiased fairness. It doesn’t matter where you come from, how much money you have, or anything else similarly superficial; if you have the work ethic and the skill, you can become the best.

However, the inclusiveness of video games seems to be betrayed at times by their communities. It’s no surprise that the FGC is predominantly made up of males and that in some cases women find it difficult to assimilate. This arrangement brews a perfect recipe for harassment towards women not just in the Smash scene, but all gaming communities. Why this disparity is present in the first place is, like most things, complex and up for debate, and therefore not worth going into. However, the consequences are serious and deserve to be talked about.

Over the weekend, I had the chance to talk with several of female Smash community members who all had encountered some sort of harassment. Their stories stand to remind us that despite how progressive the community has been there are still areas of weakness that we need to collectively work on.

Now, I’m not suggesting that there exists a systematic oppression of women or that harassment is widespread; most of us are good people and are incredibly accepting. However, while we may not be the source of the harassment ourselves, some of us choose to stay silent about it.

Sometimes, that can be just as bad.

There’s a female-focused Smash group on Facebook with 200 members-and-counting. Its members post random Smash-related things or organize plans to go to tournaments together. Other times and quite commonly, they exchange stories about their experiences with harassment at their local tournaments. Two-to-three times a month, long forms are posted detailing the nature of their encounters. In other words, posts like these are far more common than they should be.

Maggie Demer, one of the smashers I interviewed and a victim of assault herself, told me that stories like hers are posted frequently and often it's hard to find support.

“People post their negative experiences a lot. I've posted mine from UGC and another girl at the event was there to make sure I wasn't alone. And girls who have been assaulted by another smashers often post their statements there [the FB group] before releasing to their local scene.”

Demer also notes that the some local scenes are very toxic and generally less accepting than the greater scene. But even then the majority of people at the local level are genuinely respectful towards women, it’s just that the ‘lone wolves’ are not reprimanded as harshly. Why is that?

There is evidently a lot more harassment going on at the local level than there is at the more major level. This is because smashers at locals communicate at a much more personal basis. Lauren Casapao, who went public about her assault last year, sums up the dilemma perfectly.

“At nationals or at a broader level in general, people are more concerned with the problem. But locally, people know the victims and perpetrators personally which makes it difficult to take a side.”

Many of the other girls I interviewed with echoed this same point; often local smashers are united by a emotional bond, and this has significant influence over how they react to cases of harassment.

Sesh Evans is a longtime member of the community who has experienced some discrimination but has witnessed more. She reverberates Casapao’s point, saying; “There are a lot of girls out there that struggle with their local scene because [...] the TOs and people in charge won't bend this or that person because they don't consider it serious enough or they can't choose a side.”

Unfortunately, many of the dismaying accounts posted rarely if ever reach to those outside the group. In fact, the only reason I am aware of them is because somebody on the Smashboards team, Anna Molly, is a part of it. So why are so few people talking about this? Is the Smash community just turning a blind eye to it? Well, yes and no. In addition to it being a more ‘local’ problem that makes it hard for the greater community to focus on, there’s something else going on at play.

“...Smashers are slow to admit it [harassment] and even slower to do something about it. No one wants to do anything too drastic, lest they get labeled a "sjw" or "white knight" or something.”

That's Kayla MacKay, one of the women I interviewed, referring to the reactions towards her experiences with harassment at her local scene.

Kayla started off playing Smash casually until her friend introduced her to Smashboards, where she learned advanced tech such as wavedashing and short-hop lasers. She stopped playing for a little bit, but eventually she started going to tournaments where she initially faced no issues.

“The community at the time was filled with people who had been competing for 5+ years, and the vast majority were all university-age students who treated me with respect.”

But that changed as the older generation Smashers were replaced with some of the more younger kids, who MacKay personally felt less comfortable with. She experienced bouts of harassment, such as being asked for ‘nudes’ by a top player and being told upon attending a local tournament that she ‘must be lost’. These instances, she says, weren’t “anything major right away”, but that they were “a clear signal that the overall attitudes towards women had changed”.

Eventually harassment grew more serious though, but according to Kayla, nobody stepped in to try and stop it. That isn’t because smashers are bad people though. A majority are just afraid to speak up because doing so could mean ‘rocking the boat’ and potentially challenging the status quo.

I think a lot of this has to do with the recent subculture that has developed in response to the whole ‘PC’ movement. The political correctness campaign is often considered to be a painfully stupid way of earning ‘good guy points’ - and that isn't far off from the truth. Everybody can agree that some people go to ridiculous extremes in order to deter any sort of ‘offensiveness’, so likewise many are united in mutual hatred against ‘PC culture’.

But the ‘anti’ PC movement has also seen itself reaching similar ridiculous extremes. Like all collective movements, it has formed a sort of group consciousness where nobody really thinks for themselves and instead everybody adheres to the idea of “You’re offended? Suck it up.” This mentality is one I can generally agree with, but eventually it can get to the point where legitimate social issues or sentiments are just brushed off, and any proponents of those said ideas are labeled ‘SJWs’ and are accordingly ostracized.

The result is things that aren’t really ‘SJW’ by definition are labeled such, and the credibility of any argument can be dismissed just by using the word. This is a problem as actual issues that deserve to be talked about become lumped in with insipid feminist rhetoric.

Females face an array of challenges in the community. Again, it is reasonable to assume that most other fighting game communities have a similar problem. These problems are generally incurred by a small percentage of the community, but until we start talking about it more and become less tolerant of the bad apples, change is unlikely. We need to learn to be comfortable talking about the subject and act on an ethical basis instead of staying silent because it’s more convenient.

Some of the harassment women face isn’t easy to stop. Some people’s attitudes towards women are just the result of a deeply embedded and complex sociological reason, and that is out of our control. But we can control our reactions to these people, and be a little more serious in how they're handled instead of letting them go unchecked.

I don't want this to put off any woman interested in joining the scene. This is a problem that can be overcome, but only if women continually join and challenge adversity. Let this be an impetus for both genders to work together and hopefully resolve this issue.

Only when we can learn to put aside differences and accept the reality of what’s going on can we begin to take the necessary steps in the right direction.
I'm not sayin there isn't sexism in the world, I'm just sayin that I for one, as much as other people, are sick of it being shoved down our throats. I'm sorry you were treated poorly, but guys also are treated unfairly in life. Idk, I'd rather just have everyone stop complaining and start living the lives we want, instead of the ones we let words like racism and sexism create.

Sorry if I offend you though, I'm just trying to say my piece

Bullying is still wrong regardless, it means the community should learn to stop bullying anyone regardless
This is a really silly thing to say. Bullying is simply being mean repetitively, and you'rw against it. Well, most people are against it. Preaching to the choir here, my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still, even if "my" generation is part of that I have no trouble trash talking it. Every generation is not perfect, but let's all agree that the latest generation(s) are probably the most entitled and "screwed up" one(s).
If I had a penny for every time I heard this, I could pay for a house in the economy Gen X wrecked in addition to funding all the unecessary wars the Baby Boomers started.

Also you're a millenial even by the most conservative of estimates. 1990 - 2010. The most liberal ones go from 1980 - 2010.

Last edited:
As mundane as my life is, I can't say I've ever witnessed women being harassed. I know it happens, I just have never observed it myself. No community is without its faults. I'm not concerned about how few who play Smash are women. I suspect this is going to be the case, since video games have long been aimed toward the male demography.

I think one way women in the Smash community could avoid being harassed is by being with someone they trust, someone who doesn't treat them poorly or unfairly. This should mitigate any kind of harassment, since there will at least be a witness. This way, if something does happen, the TO could be notified and do something about it.

If I had a penny for every time I heard this, I could pay for a house in the economy Gen X wrecked in addition to funding all the unecessary wars the Baby Boomers started.

Also you're a millenial even by the most conservative of estimates.
I don't like the word "millennial" because I wasn't born in the year 2000 and onward. I don't think these people understand what a millennium is. Anyway, I agree with you that the blame is falling on "millennials". I guess that comes from a generation good at victim blaming.

I don't like the word "millennial" because I wasn't born in the year 2000 and onward. I don't think these people understand what a millennium is. Anyway, I agree with you that the blame is falling on "millennials". I guess that comes from a generation good at victim blaming.
I think the point is being born around the turn of the millenium and not necessarily afterwards. But I do see your point and I don't really like labels myself.

It was nothing, really. Just quick thinking on my feet and being unable to stand that kind of behavior, especially to any I call friend.
You, sir, have restored my faith in humanity.

As mundane as my life is, I can't say I've ever witnessed women being harassed. I know it happens, I just have never observed it myself. No community is without its faults. I'm not concerned about how few who play Smash are women. I suspect this is going to be the case, since video games have long been aimed toward the male demography.

I think one way women in the Smash community could avoid being harassed is by being with someone they trust, someone who doesn't treat them poorly or unfairly. This should mitigate any kind of harassment, since there will at least be a witness. This way, if something does happen, the TO could be notified and do something about it.

I agree with the "being around someone you trust" thing. Sometimes I go to tournaments and stuff with my siblings and since they're 6 feet tall guys I figure I'll be okay lol. And if they don't go with me, I have several friends in the scene who walk around with me as well.

For anyone who doesn't have anyone to walk with or anything like that, you could always make quick friends with another girl and walk with her. I'm sure she'd appreciate having a buddy and you could keep each other company?

D
I'm not sayin there isn't sexism in the world, I'm just sayin that I for one, as much as other people, are sick of it being shoved down our throats. I'm sorry you were treated poorly, but guys also are treated unfairly in life.
I'd rather hear about someone wanting abuse to stop at the risk of sounding "shoved down our throats" to someone then having abuse "shoved down our throats".

Idk, I'd rather just have everyone stop complaining and start living the lives we want, instead of the ones we let words like racism and sexism create.

Sorry if I offend you though, I'm just trying to say my piece
Says stop complaining yet he's complaining, and are you really implying that racism is an issue because of the victims of said abuse? You truly act as if people just go let their lives be affected by racism by their own choice? How ignorant of this situation can someone be?

Personal observation:

At my local scene, very few, if any, girls participate in a tournament. It isn't because of harassment or sexism. It's because they aren't interested in this sort of environment. There are a few exceptions, but predominately, if any girl shows up to a tournament, they're usually with a group of friends or with their boyfriend. The one's that come usually participate sit down, play their matches, and when they are eliminated, they leave with their friends or awkwardly stay around their partner. There's only one consistent female player who actively participates in friendlies, and she's pretty cool, but any other female smasher just seems like they're there for novelty sake (don't even get me started on how they dress like they're on a date or something).

If I could offer any advice to any female smashers coming into the scene, put your competitive spirit ahead of your gender. I don't care if you're male, female, homosexual, queer, trans, gender fluid, whatever. All I care about is playing the game, having a good time, and possibly making some new friends. The few times I have faced off against female players, I have treated them like a typical opponent; I try my best and I hope my opponent also does their best as well. Don't be afraid to participate in friendlies either. Don't be afraid to start a conversation or ask for advice on your play.

Or you took my words into your own perspective, nvm, arguing on the internet in 2017? Nah, pogchamp.

Says stop complaining yet he's complaining, and are you really implying that racism is an issue because of the victims of said abuse? You truly act as if people just go let their lives be affected by racism by their own choice? How ignorant of this situation can someone be?[/QUOTE]

I'd rather hear about someone wanting abuse to stop at the risk of sounding "shoved down our throats" to someone then having abuse "shoved down our throats".

Says stop complaining yet he's complaining, and are you really implying that racism is an issue because of the victims of said abuse? You truly act as if people just go let their lives be affected by racism by their own choice? How ignorant of this situation can someone be?

As someone who has been off-and-on in the Smash competitive community since 2007, I have seen harassment of females a lot, including from some (now almost entirely former) prominent members of the community.

I remember once I met a friend of mine at a tournament who I didn't know played competitive Smash. He went to the tournament with his younger sister. I found out talking to him the only reason he went to tournaments was because his younger sister did first, and that she was trying to make him a better player.

In my specific town back in the day, I was one of the better Melee players (note: my town is trash at every Smash game. Like really trash. The fact I was ever one of the better players is even true is bad!), :laugh: and a few people asked me for advice on stages (I was the expert on now banned stages like Mute City and Rainbow Cruise). I always gave my advice because I enjoy helping people and love Smash Bros.

I helped practice the stages with people, showed them all the nooks and crannies, and taught them very specific character do's and don'ts and punishes. I did this with maybe 5 people, including my friend's sister and the guy who eliminated me from the tournament! :laugh:

Fast forward a few hours and the tournament is over. My friend's sister comes up to me and thanked me at the end of the tournament and the Tournament Organizer (whom I was chatting with beforehand).

She told us she was extra thankful because she told us it was one of the first tournaments she went to where she wasn't treated poorly due to her sex.

As an older sibling myself, I felt happy in this situation for my friend, and sad in the long-run that said situation is the standard.

I felt bad about getting a compliment for that. I didn't do anything but treat my friend's sister as yet another competitive Smash Bros enthusiast, and that was enough to warrant a compliment. That is some low and yet sadly well-earned standards. If I never receive a compliment for treating someone who happens to be a female like my equal, I will be very happy. That should be the standard and the norm.

\\

And that was in 2010 IIRC. While things have mostly probably gotten better in the competitive Smash community, uhhhhh sexism and misogyny are still real dominant parts of our society.

It's why few women rise to the top of the corporate ladder despite women generally performing better in school and women generally have better social skills, women are blamed for getting sex assaulted (can't use the r word because the obviously needed censors) because of the way they are dressed, female genitalia mutilation is so common, men who commit sexual assault are often given a pass as if they merely jaywalked (like Brock Turner), and why ED pills (censors won't let me spell out the acronym of ED here; if you don't know what it is, Google it) are taxed as necessities in America while tampons are taxed as a luxury item in America.

From seeing creepy dudes in their 50's whistle at my then-10 year old sister, to seeing males in their 40's think they are entitled to grope women in their 20's, to a number of shockingly unwanted and over-the-line disgusting sexual advances I've seen on women, it is shockingly common, and scary how human onlookers males like myself are threatened to be desensitized by it, instead of sharply opposing it.

It can be a scary world to be a woman.

\\

Edit: Also seeing a lot of "SJW" here from a lot of uneducated people here. That is short for "Social Justice Warrior."

Social Justice is defined by dictionary.com as "the distribution of advantages and disadvantages within a society." Accomplishing that goal in any society is a good thing.

All prominent leaders of Civil Rights Movements fought for Social Justice, as are philanthropists and people involved in various charities and foundations to improve lives.

People who fought for social justice include the likes of:

Frederick Douglass, Rosa Parks, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr., Cesar Chavez, Muhammad Ali, Harry Hay, Roger Baldwin, John Dewey, Florence Kelley, David Beckham, W.E.B. Du Bois, Kailash Satyarthi, Mother Teresa, Bill Moyers, Gloria Steinem, Craig Watkins, Pete Seeger, Bayard Rustin, Nicole Kidman, Kailash Satyarthi, Jane Addams, Harvey Milk, Ella Baker, Gary Haugen, Jimmy Carter, Leymah Gbowee, Serena Williams, Aaron Bartley, Bill Gates, Tenzin Gyatso (aka the 14th and current Dalai Lama), Carl von Ossietzky, Bob Dylan, Janson Wu Woody Guthrie, Margaret Sanger, Malcolm X, Linus Pauling, Albert Einstein, Van Jones, Elie Wiesel, Warren Buffet, Ralph Bunche, Jackie Robinson, Thurgood Marshall, Wangari Muta Maathai, Malala Yousafzai, and so on.

That is a vastly different amount of people with all kinds of jobs, as well as some of the most important people in the 19th, 20th and 21st Century. A lot of those people you may know. A lot you may not. I think that it makes it pretty clear that Social Justice is not a term to not just throw out as an insult, unless you are uneducated, childish, and looking to be a degenerate troll.

Here's a quote on Social Justice from a great champion of Social Justice I have always adored:

Last edited:
As someone who has been off-and-on in the Smash competitive community since 2007, I have seen harassment of females a lot, including from some (now almost entirely former) prominent members of the community.

I remember once I met a friend of mine at a tournament who I didn't know played competitive Smash. He went to the tournament with his younger sister. I found out talking to him the only reason he went to tournaments was because his younger sister did first, and that she was trying to make him a better player.

In my specific town back in the day, I was one of the better Melee players (note: my town is trash at every Smash game. Like really trash. The fact I was ever one of the better players is even true is bad!), :laugh: and a few people asked me for advice on stages (I was the expert on now banned stages like Mute City and Rainbow Cruise). I always gave my advice because I enjoy helping people and love Smash Bros.

I helped practice the stages with people, showed them all the nooks and crannies, and taught them very specific character do's and don'ts and punishes. I did this with maybe 5 people, including my friend's sister and the guy who eliminated me from the tournament! :laugh:

Fast forward a few hours and the tournament is over. My friend's sister comes up to me and thanked me at the end of the tournament and the Tournament Organizer (whom I was chatting with beforehand).

She told us she was extra thankful because she told us it was one of the first tournaments she went to where she wasn't treated poorly due to her sex.

As an older sibling myself, I felt happy in this situation for my friend, and sad in the long-run that said situation is the standard.

I felt bad about getting a compliment for that. I didn't do anything but treat my friend's sister as yet another competitive Smash Bros enthusiast, and that was enough to warrant a compliment. That is some low and yet sadly well-earned standards. If I never receive a compliment for treating someone who happens to be a female like my equal, I will be very happy. That should be the standard and the norm.

\\

And that was in 2010 IIRC. While things have mostly probably gotten better in the competitive Smash community, uhhhhh sexism and misogyny are still real dominant parts of our society.

It's why few women rise to the top of the corporate ladder despite women generally performing better in school and women generally have better social skills, women are blamed for getting sex assaulted (can't use the r word because the obviously needed censors) because of the way they are dressed, female genitalia mutilation is so common, men who commit sexual assault are often given a pass as if they merely jaywalked (like Brock Turner), and why ED pills (censors won't let me spell out the acronym of ED here; if you don't know what it is, Google it) are taxed as necessities in America while tampons are taxed as a luxury item in America.

From seeing creepy dudes in their 50's whistle at my then-10 year old sister, to seeing males in their 40's think they are entitled to grope women in their 20's, to a number of shockingly unwanted and over-the-line disgusting sexual advances I've seen on women, it is shockingly common, and scary how human onlookers males like myself are threatened to be desensitized by it, instead of sharply opposing it.

\\

Edit: Also seeing a lot of "SJW" here from a lot of uneducated people here. That is short for "Social Justice Warrior."

Social Justice is defined by dictionary.com as "the distribution of advantages and disadvantages within a society." Accomplishing that goal in any society is a good thing.

All prominent leaders of Civil Rights Movements fought for Social Justice, as are philanthropists and people involved in various charities and foundations to improve lives.

Frederick Douglass, Rosa Parks, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr., Cesar Chavez, Muhammad Ali, Harry Hay, Roger Baldwin, John Dewey, Florence Kelley, David Beckham, W.E.B. Du Bois, Kailash Satyarthi, Mother Teresa, Bill Moyers, Gloria Steinem, Craig Watkins, Pete Seeger, Bayard Rustin, Nicole Kidman, Kailash Satyarthi, Jane Addams, Harvey Milk, Ella Baker, Gary Haugen, Jimmy Carter, Leymah Gbowee, Serena Williams, Aaron Bartley, Bill Gates, Tenzin Gyatso (aka the 14th and current Dalai Lama), Carl von Ossietzky, Bob Dylan, Janson Wu Woody Guthrie, Margaret Sanger, Malcolm X, Linus Pauling, Albert Einstein, Van Jones, Elie Wiesel, Warren Buffet, Ralph Bunche, Jackie Robinson, Thurgood Marshall, Wangari Muta Maathai, Malala Yousafzai, and so on.

That is a vastly different amount of people with all kinds of jobs, as well as some of the most important people in the 19th, 20th and 21st Century. A lot of those people you may know. A lot you may not. I think that it makes it pretty clear that Social Justice is not a term to not just throw out as an insult, unless you are uneducated, childish, and looking to be a degenerate troll.

Here's a quote on Social Justice from a great champion of Social Justice I have always adored:
Hey Mr. Pretentious, why the distinction between "justice" and "social justice"? Could they be... diametrically opposed perhaps? A self-righteous label for hypocritical authoritarians?

\\

\\

I don't disagree with well intentioned stuff like this. Still I think it is missing context in what the whole "SJW" "White Knight" thing.

Bringing awareness to harassment and stopping it should happen. The hyuga incident is exactly what people should be fighting against. Banning him and publicly not welcoming him is exactly what our community should be doing.

I'd say my community is almost all male outside of one village main that shows up once and a while. She never has been harassed and has a lot of fun at tournaments. I can't say I have shared the same experiences as you have. I do endorse and agree with MarshieMan MarshieMan said about why we see less woman in gaming. It's not because of open harassment, it's a deeper issue with marketing and even issues with psychology. It's the reason some fields have more of one gender over another.

Back to the SJW. What I don't like about SJW isn't the idea but a large vocal area of it that goes beyond that and becomes unreasonable. "All men are masonginsts" "All white people are racist" "Cop lives don't matter". That is when it becomes unreasonable because it went full circle to being exactly what people are fighting against and making genuine good movements look worse.

MTVs dear white people and stuff like that are what people hate about the SJW movement when it goes stupid.

I've been in full support of pushing against bigotry and such, what I am not for is supporting the movements that will regress it and doing the reverse under the veil of social equality.

That's my viewpoint at least.

Last edited:
For all this negativity, I want to share that I have personally absolutely adored the Smash community + want to say that the vast majority of Smashers are stand up people and really wonderful :)

I really only felt awkward in the community when I was first joining, which I think all newbies feel at least in some regard. When I went to my first tourney, a few people were really helpful and the guys I faced vs were nice in explaining to me the stage striking process and whatnot. If anything they were super excited that a girl was playing and really keen to have me stick around.

I suppose the only "issue" (if I'd even call it that) I've ever had was when I moved to a new region for a few months; I think people assumed I didn't know what I was doing because I was a girl. They talked a rather condescendingly towards me when we had our sets or talked while waiting, sorta like I was a newb again. Luckily I didn't buster out and go 0-2 like a scrub (+ showed some niche MU knowledge with some grab release setups) so they realized I actually knew a thing or two about Smash. I bet I would've been mighty embarrassed if I hadn't performed well, but I suppose that's the sort of pressure anyone would get at their first event in a new area.

TL;DR: <3
And this is why I still have faith in the community despite pretty much everything that happens on smashboards.
Thank you

What's with all this "we" talk in the article and comments? I don't have to do ****, I know how to treat others with respect, and I hate when I'm grouped with other people, whoever they may be. Leave me alone, I just wanna play smash, **** yall.

Nah. Difference between law justice (things like crime) and inequality and etc; are pretty different.
So the difference between X justice and Y justice is difference?

Do you think tautologies are valid?

Asserting things does not make them so, you need to define your terms.

Justice: The imparting of equivalent retribution upon an individual perpetrator relative to the observed loss faced by their victim(s), where all cases in question must be verified beyond a reasonable doubt against any available evidence.

I repeat, what is the distinction between my definition of justice (^) and "social justice"? Why "social justice warriors" instead of "justice warriors"? Could it be that they wish to punish certain groups and individuals without fair trial? That they wish to act on their primal mobbing impulse in response to perceived/anecdotal "injustice" regardless of actual guilt or innocence? Perhaps it's just some pathetic excuse to shift responsibility for their own crappy decisions onto <insert groups which we're currently allowed to indiscriminately demonize>.

Last edited:
So the difference between X justice and Y justice is difference?

Do you think tautologies are valid?

Asserting things does not make them so, you need to define your terms.

Justice: The imparting of equivalent retribution upon an individual perpetrator relative to the observed loss faced by their victim(s), where all cases in question must be verified beyond a reasonable doubt against any available evidence.

I repeat, what is the distinction between my definition of justice (^) and "social justice"? Why "social justice warriors" instead of "justice warriors"? Could it be that they wish to punish certain groups and individuals without fair trial? That they wish to act on their primal mobbing impulse in response to perceived/anecdotal "injustice" regardless of actual guilt or innocence? Perhaps it's just some pathetic excuse to shift responsibility for their own crappy decisions onto <insert groups which we're currently allowed to indiscriminately demonize>.
If you can't tell the difference between law-breaking offense like actual crime and things like racism (which is completely legal) I don't really know what to tell you, I'm just here for clarification. I'm not for or against anything here, really.

"Social Justice Warrior" is something I presume was created by people who are not social justice people, like the term keyboard warriors. What you're saying makes no sense. Social justice is just a subcategory, like court justice (which I used as the example for the difference) would be law-breaking offenses.

I have no idea where you're getting the demonization from, or the "bad decisions".. this is an article about harassment in the Smash community, could you provide more specifics?

Last edited:
If you can't tell the difference between law-breaking offense like actual crime and things like racism (which is completely legal) I don't really know what to tell you, I'm just here for clarification. I'm not for or against anything here, really.

"Social Justice Warrior" is something I presume was created by people who are not social justice people, like the term keyboard warriors. What you're saying makes no sense. Social justice is just a subcategory, like court justice (which I used as the example for the difference) would be law-breaking offenses.

I have no idea where you're getting the demonization from, or the "bad decisions".. this is an article about harassment in the Smash community, could you provide more specifics?
SJWs always do this...

Just make up whatever sh*t you like and pretend it's true. No research required. Reality just bends to your whims, right? I guess that's what it's like to be a vaguely attractive young woman.

Any lady can cry wolf and suddenly we have an all-pervasive institutional crisis on our hands. White knight trumpets blare forth--self-loathing little cucks perfectly willing to condemn their fellow man in contemptible desperation.

Last edited:
SJWs always do this...

Just make up whatever sh*t you like and pretend it's true. No research required. Reality just bends to your whims, right? I guess that's what it's like to be a vaguely attractive young woman.

Any lady can cry wolf and suddenly we have an all-pervasive institutional crisis on our hands. White knight trumpets blare forth--self-loathing little cucks perfectly willing to condemn their fellow man in contemptible desperation.
I have no idea what you're trying to say. Literally none of that has anything to do with what I said, it's complete nonsense in this context... you actually didn't respond to anything I said. I also can't tell if you're calling me an SJW, or just speaking in general.

You're literally making up people making things up to complain about people making things up. No research required. Reality just bends to your whims, right? Or something like that..?

Last edited:
SJWs always do this...

None of this is even an argument, you're just going 'lmao cuck' instead of saying how TBY is 'making stuff up'

None of this is even an argument, you're just going 'lmao cuck' instead of saying how TBY is 'making stuff up'
Where the hell is racism legal in the West?

Why should a bunch of lying, hypocritical, bleeding-heart regressives be taken seriously? Over and over again I hear triggered knee-jerk bullsh*t in response to whatever particular buzzword catches their attention, regurgitating some unoriginal, dishonest, misplaced remark as if they've somehow one-upped their opposition. The human mind should be more than a predictable flow-chart.

Sure, accuse me of failing to engage in argumentation when you guys refuse to even process what I'm talking about. Zero curiosity, zero integrity, 100% conformity.

Oh well, it's not exactly your fault, being so young. It will be if you don't shape up quickly though.

Where the hell is racism legal in the West?

Why should a bunch of lying, hypocritical, bleeding-heart regressives be taken seriously? Over and over again I hear triggered knee-jerk bullsh*t in response to whatever particular buzzword catches their attention, regurgitating some unoriginal, dishonest, misplaced remark as if they've somehow one-upped their opposition. The human mind should be more than a predictable flow-chart.

Sure, accuse me of failing to engage in argumentation when you guys refuse to even process what I'm talking about. Zero curiosity, zero integrity, 100% conformity.

Oh well, it's not exactly your fault, being so young. It will be if you don't shape up quickly though.
Considering how often there are stories of racism and rarely much done about it (the white guy who shot up a mosque got out free of charges) and the infamous Fergeson thing a while back, etc. In my country, the Netherlands, it's illegal, yet a politician got away with hate speech saying that 'Marrokan people should leave our fine country'. The entire muslim ban a while ago was legal before a judge shut it down, in which people got banned from the US regardless if they had a greencard just because of the country they're from. Not to mention the ' Over and over again I hear triggered knee-jerk bullsh*t in response to whatever particular buzzword catches their attention' kiiiiiiinda applies to you considering how you reacted to this article. Harassment happens, whether we like it or not. Otherwise Hyuga wouldn't have gotten his 1 year ban or the Alex Strife thing at APEX 2015.
"Sure, accuse me of failing to engage in argumentation when you guys refuse to even process what I'm talking about. Zero curiosity, zero integrity, 100% conformity." I'm from the Netherlands, I only recently found out about how certain things jn America work (how hard it is to get ID, the voting system, etc.) so I can't really be blamed for not knowing how that works. And sure, It's the younger generations fault for screwing up in the future Mr. 26 year old. Your still a young'un too, don't act high and mighty to a group of people you apply too

Top Bottom