• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf tier list placement

MeLON17

Smash Rookie
I have seem many tier lists and one thing that I noticed was that people are saying wolf is either a good a or b tier character or that he is a d tier can i get some more opinions on where u think wolf belongs.

Omastar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2638-1454-6031
I think he has really solid neutral, a good combo game, and one of the better projectiles as well, but his inability to kill at higher percents and sub-par recovery is what holds him back. I still think he has a lot of potential however and could definitely see him shooting up the tier lists with a bit more labbing, solid lower high tier imo.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
His neutral is amazing, but after he wins neutral again and again and again, it's a bit difficult for him to get a safe and easy kill confirm.

MonkeyKingSauli

Smash Rookie
From what I can tell, his weaknesses are his horrible recovery and reliance on platforms to avoid being comboed(usually turns into a zero-death if you’re not careful). However, his fair is insane, and combos into nearly everything at varying percents. He can ledge trap with nair and his tilts, and his side b is an option you don’t want to mess up the edge guard on. I do agree with Zero that he struggles to kill, but that looks to be changing with the bair and fsmash setups people are labbing. Overall, he seems to be a solid mid level A tier to me, though he may drop to high B tier once people figure out how to edgeguard him efficiently.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
So far I think there are a few characters that can do what Wolf does. Just better (except maybe blaster). They have really obvious and easy kill confirms, while Wolf needs to catch a side B or a dsmash at the ledge, or catch a hard read/roll read fsmash or up B to KO at a reasonable percent and retain advantage. Sometimes Bair as well. I've had numerous occasions where I thought I had an obvious kill confirm but had to resort for a nair or fair instead, rinse and repeat.

His recovery makes his offstage game really difficult, as he can't go low. You can get the situational runoff blaster or nair to gimp some characters that have short, weak, or no hitboxes on their up B. Or the occasional stage spike runoff bair. Other than that the only offstage game he's gonna get is catching people going high. People are becoming less afraid to challenge his recovery and I suspect this will only get more common with time.

But at the same time, his blaster is one of the best projectiles in the game and the hitbox on the gun itself can scare some people into challenging it by jumping over it, etc, in fear of being hit by that as well. He's a fast character, and can get some crazy movement/ledge cancels around Battlefield platforms so easily. I've been using this to look for openings and bait whiffs against some of the scarier characters, and it works pretty well for the most part. Fair, nair, ftilt, dtilt, all amazing attacks that combo into each other and create a near perfect kit for neutral dominance when combined with his blaster as well. Dtilt can trip. Uair is a great pressure and juggle attack through platforms. Dsmash is a crazy KO move and covers ledge well. After people begin to get better with the dthrow side B percents, that will add to his game too.

If I were to make a prediction as he is now, pretending there won't be any inevitable balance patches that affect him and other characters, I would say he would end up being mid A tier to start, and fall from there between low A and mid B when the metagame starts to mature. He kind of reminds me of a Smash 4 Cloud type character, wonderful onstage, great aerials, but the recovery is just abysmal. Difference being, Wolf doesn't have the twist of fate that is the Limit meter. But those balance patches will be incoming, whether we want them or not. So I think it's still too early to make any real tier placement predictions for this character. He's still a bit of an enigma, and I haven't seen many top-20 level players who have picked him up yet. I think we'll get a better idea once a few

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
I'd say very low Top Tier or very good high tier.

His Fair is amazing, his Ftilt is a better Marth fsmash, his side b is the perfect anti Ledge Trap Tool and his up B Kills , which makes him threatening to Edgeguard, Blaster is possibly the best Projectile in the Game, challenged imo only by Falcos Blaster,

But he has no Kill Options outside of uptilt, Fsmash, Down Smash, Bthrow and Bair (even side B isn't as reliable as one might think), he struggle to recover, thus making it hard for him to edgeguard.

IF he gets buffed with actual Kill Options and a slightly better recovery i could see him actually beeing a Top 5 Character.

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
Insightful comments guys!)
In your opinion, do Fox and Falco have less weaknesses overall? From what I saw in early tier lists proposed by top players like Leffen and Zero, there is no consensus at all about these 3 characters and their tier rank. Early tournaments results suggest that, at least for now, Fox and Wolf are viable options for competitive game.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I think people are taking wolf's sketchy kill power a little too far here, sure he doesn't have any real safe kill confirms but his moves alone are good to whiff punish, his kill moves remind me a ton of smash 4 mario, up smash all day and night. Fsmash is safe on block, dsmash is insanely hard to punish at times, back air is stupidly good, ftilt is also safe unless parried, bthrow is stupidly strong, and if you're still saying "buh muh KILL CONFIRMS" fair combos and kills into RAR full hop / short hop spaced bair at the 80% mark, and into sour spot bair at a little higher % from mid stage on pretty much every character, making it like a ZSS nair to bair shenanigan, so yall better shut your heads and get use to this one.

As for tiers, A tier no doubt, probably around the 11th to 14th mark, kinda reminds me of smash 4 ryu or corrin.

Qualudes

Smash Cadet
I am currently labbing all downthrow to wolf flash (side B) true combos on the current cast. If anyone wants me to share it please let me know. I am trying to have it finished by today.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I am currently labbing all downthrow to wolf flash (side B) true combos on the current cast. If anyone wants me to share it please let me know. I am trying to have it finished by today.
Please do. I have it figured out for some of the more common characters but some others I have no idea and haven’t had time to lab it myself.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Not exactly an unpopular opinion anymore, but I always felt like and still feel like he is one of the best characters in the game and possibly a contender for THE best character in the game. I'll keep it short, but look at dash attack and blaster. Blaster is single handedly the best projectile in the whole game. It's what Hadouken should be and more. It's strong, it forces reactions, it's highly spammable and has a melee hitbox. Then his dash attack is probably the best dash attack in the game. It kills, it's combo starter, it's a combo extender, it's a combo ender, it catches rolls, it catches landings, it crosses up shield, it goes really far and shoots forward quickly, it does your dishes. Like, holy crap. It does basically everything. I haven't even mentioned how great f-air and u-air are. I cant see Wolf dropping below high tier unless they purposely nerf him into the ground like they did to Corrin.

Edit: I forgot to mention something about blaster and another thing relating to it. The projectile itself is transcendent and does up to 8%-9% at max range and 7 around mid. It's pretty much always a bad idea to get into a projectile war with him because he typically will win the trade or just straight up delete your projectile with the melee hitbox and shoot you during your endlag. And to top it all off, using any charged projectile is still risky because he has access to a reflector.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I feel like I can't argue a lot of your points any more, but kind of feel like Snake's dash attack is just as good. Maybe if there was a set hitbox for Wolf's and you didn't get the slight inconsistency of which hitbox you're gonna get, it would be better than Snake's, but they're both insane DAs.

And they could remove Blaster entirely and I'd still play him lol

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I feel like I can't argue a lot of your points any more, but kind of feel like Snake's dash attack is just as good. Maybe if there was a set hitbox for Wolf's and you didn't get the slight inconsistency of which hitbox you're gonna get, it would be better than Snake's, but they're both insane DAs.

And they could remove Blaster entirely and I'd still play him lol
Snakes dash attack is laggy as all heck

Top Bottom