• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf Tech Chases: A [WIP] Guide on Tech Chasing

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Wolf tech chase game is ridiculously good. Wolf players are ridiculously bad at it. Lets fix this.

Here is a spread sheet (also a WIP) of frame data for wolf's back/down throw tech chases on Fox.
Read it. The gist of it is that wolf's back throw is crazy good for tech chasing.

Before we go into details on tech chasing, first lets look at Fox's Tech Rolls.

Like all tech rolls, they last 40 frames, and have invincibility from frames 1-20. This is Fox's tech roll, (shoutouts to @Ripple for the amazing image resources to make this easy)

Its pretty average. short enough for Wolf to react to and chase down with another grab, dash attack, dacus, boost grab, run>dsmash, or running shine. With proper DI at 0%, wolf can follow DI away>tech away off of backthrow and regrab with plenty of leniency (was about 10 or so frames of leniency if you dash asap and keep running). Any other % or DI variable is easier for wolf to react to and chase down, so there's no excuse to drop a tech chase on fox.

now to wolf's throws, and why back throw is more reliable. Lets look at the throws themselves:
Back throw: 60 degrees launch, 20 frames recovery, 5% damage. 70 base KB, 58 Growth.
Down throw: 55 degrees 15 frames recovery 3% then 6% damage (2 hits) 70/50 base, 50/100 growth (not sure how KB stacking works for throws but it sends further)

Back throw has less Knockback and does less damage with a higher angle, causing the opponent to land closer to wolf and hit the ground later. Downthrow sends them further but with less frame advantage. Its pretty bad vs fox because he and other fast fallers land so quickly and far enough away that covering the tech options are harder. the extra damage is nice, and if you throw them into the corner with down throw you still have massive advantage.

However, the optimal throw Mix-ups on fox is the backthrow/upthrow mixup, platforms withstanding. Fox holding in to only get tech chases from Bthrow will get regrabbed on upthrow, or other juggle at %s before the chaingrab is guarenteed on perfect DI away. Poor DI on bthrow leads to pretty much anything you want.

When tech chasing in general, favor throwing them towards the corner. It gives them less tech options, and makes it easier to cover options on reaction with harder hitting moves. Backthrow is broken. those 4-5%s add up very quick off just regrabs. If they DI poorly or you get an opportunity to punish harder on reaction, you get more damage, easily leading into wolf's explosive punish game on fast fallers past low %s.

This thread is pretty unorganized right now. I'll work on cleaning it up and adding other characters to the list. Probably copy templates from shiek/falcon tech chase threads, and Add falco because he's harder to tech chase with his god tier tech roll distance.

Dox

Smash Rookie
After playing Falcon for so long, I can confirm that Wolf can tech chase just as well as him.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Wolf can't do the hard cover tech in place and still react to aways, but there's some good stuff. Theory crafted a bit on instant sh >dair off of back throw, catches no tech on in/no di, shine afterwards catches tech in place, just need to find out if we can dacus after the dair to catch di away/tech away or di away tech in and we are golden

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Not dedicated enough. Maybe once I get a rig that can run dolphin well

Life

Smash Hero
Haven't finished reading, but I had been making a spreadsheet of Wolf throw followups a while back; glad to know someone's done part of that for me already.

EDIT: A little off topic, but re: grab punishes on space animals, I know from testing in debug that Wolf can uthrow chaingrab Falco regardless of DI unless there is a platform in the way--or at least I couldn't manage an angle where Falco hits the ground before Wolf can get to him--but at least at 0 it's very nearly frame-perfect on correct DI so going for the bthrows can make life easier if you don't mind risking Falco calling you on it--plus you'll run out of stage if you just uthrow repeatedly so you have to bthrow to turn it around, and it also opens up new kill conversions so...

Last edited:

Getsafe

Smash Apprentice
Yo this is the quality type of thread I like to see! Looks like I picked the perfect time to switch mains

I can try to test Dair > DACUS on no DI tech roll in frame advance

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
After bthrow at zero you can cover no tech with dair which will jab reset below 20
shine will cover tech in place, but its a tight window to react
after dair you can boost pivot grab both rolls away on reaction

if you are having trouble connecting dair on di away use forward air. sweet spot will confirm into regrab, but sour will only confirm into shine.

also instead of boost pivot grab you can down angled side b to cover rolls. I was totally baffled that this is a thing. the window is still tight though.

also pivot f smash is a thing

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Yeah I said sh instant dair shine covers tech in place/missed tech above. It's pretty good.

Nice to see that you can cover the side tech on reaction, I'll add that to the op when I get the chance. Still not sure how I'm going to format it.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
^ Sorry didn't see your sh instant dair shine comment

frame data for the sequence at 0 percent after a back throw

wolf recovers frame 32
fox lands on frame 38
dair lands on frame 48
wolf lands on frame 52
wolf recovers on frame 64
wolf boost pivot grab hitbox hits fox anywhere from 78 with a four frame dash and 2 frame dash cancel delay and 72 with a frame perfect boost grab.

that means you don't have a large window for the timing. if you do a frame perfect boost grab you have like a 2-6 frame window for error, depending on the exact spacing of your down air in accordance with fox's impact point.

instead of boost pivot grab fsmash covers the entire tech roll. if your spacing is too far off on your down air, a four frame pivot into an fsmash can still land before fox can shine.

running shine also works to cover tech rolls and is the most lenient option.

The window gets larger progressively as fox's percent climes. it becomes really easy after 15 percent or so.

Also Regular boost grab might be a better choice to boost pivot grab because it may outspace instant shine but im not sure.

Something else, if you use a nair to cover no tech, then if your frame perfect you can cover fox's roll with a instant short hop aerial on reaction. you have to react before the lag from your nair has ended, like 22 frames, but its still possible. I know nair and dair work, haven't been able to get the others to work.

Having said all of this I still think shffl laser is the best choice. it covers no tech and tech away, leaving you to react to tech in place or tech in. you can get a follow up from the laser if it hits no tech or tech away.

lastly other characters with longer tech rolls can likely avoid a lot of this at 0 percent.

Last edited:

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
I keep forgetting to include stuff

At like 60 ish percent with no di, after the dair to cover no tech, side b to cover tech roll is garunteed. if you nair instead of dair its garunteed at like 25 percent.

Instead of the instant short hop aerial after the back throw if you do a pivot shine (it is a little far fetched, I know) you can do the guaranteed waveshine fox style tech chase.

wolf recovers from throw on frame 32
wolf dashes for 10 frames
wolf pivots on 11th frame
wolf shines on frame 43
wolf recovers from wavedash on frame 61
fox catches that work

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Nah I get pivot shines. considered b-stick for easy pivot shines for a while to do fox infinites with it. interesting. Thanks for putting the time into labbing out these situations, thats the one thing I didn't really have the patience to do at the time.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Keep it simple. Proper dash->WD/crouch positioning gives you ~20ish frames to react to longer tech rolls like Sheik's and Falco's with dash->boost grab. Regrab, shine, jab, etc, plenty of consistent options to cover tech in place off the same setup. The latter options also cover no tech. Save the fancy stuff for when you're looking to end the techchase, and have a clear goal in mind for what you're trying to accomplish in doing so lest you waste an opportunity by dropping the techchase prematurely.

Last edited:

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
This is exactly the kind of stuff the Wolf boards need, good stuff guys. I wish the AI teched randomly like in 20XX but that's probably impossible to implement in PM. Anyone know what AI level it's best to practice techchasing on?

Last edited:

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Anyone know what AI level it's best to practice techchasing on?
I always set a cpu level 9 to walk in training mode. it does everything but no tech which doesn't matter because we can cover it anyway.

I messed around with jab for a little
After b throw at 0 with no di you can true combo into a jab and catch fox in the air before he hits the ground. It is not really worth doing, as you only get 10 percent and no follow up from the full jab and jab one is -6 on hit, I just thought I would mention it. Instead if you use jab to catch no tech You have wolf recovering from jab on frame 53 giving an extra 10 frames of leniancy to catch tech options compared to instant short hop down air

Wolf recovers from on frame 32
wolf jabs on frame 34
fox lands on frame 38
wolf jab hitbox comes out on frame 38
wolf recovers on frame 53

That gives time to cover tech in place with shine or up tilt or d smash or whatever, as well as time to connect pretty much whatever you want on a roll.

This assumes perfect timing and reactions which we know wont happen every time, but its still more lenient.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Some laser frame data

Wolf cannot perfect waveland with this timing, but this timing is the least laggy.
wolf short hops on frame 1
wolf lasers on frame 7
wolf inputs fast fall on frame 15 (earliest possible input)
wolf airdodges on frame 21 (This airdodge is a one frame window at this point)

You can loosen the timing by lasering a little earlier and or fast falling a little later, but you get less frame advantage.
Timing after back throw

Wolf recovers from b throw on frame 32
wolf jumps on frame 33
fox lands on frame 38 (25 frame window begins for no tech)
wolf lasers on frame 39
wolf inputs ff on frame 47
wolf airdodges on frame 53
wolf recovers on frame 64

This laser covers no tech and tech away, leaving you to react to either tech in place or tech away. most of the time I airdodge straight down to put myself in between the two points and maximizing my options.
If the opponent techs away you still have to react but you have a really large window to connect a dash attack running shine side b or whatnot because of laser hitstun and hitlag.

Ill convert all this data for falco tomorrow

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Well tomorrow came early. Ill post for all of the other characters since there is not a massive amount of difference between them
Remember this is with no di and no move staling off of a back throw
Also I could not find objective data on tech roll distance so I did not comment on it

Wolf
recovers frame 36 lands frame 43, works until 250 ish percent
falco
recovers frame 34 lands frame 41, works until 260 ish percent
Dk
recovers frame 38 lands frame 56, works until 29 ish percent,
diddy
recovers on frame 36 lands frame 46, works until 110 ish percent
Meta Knight
recovers frame 34 land frame 46, works until 75 ish percent
Link
recovers frame 44 lands frame 55 only works at 0
Shiek
recovers frame 38 lands frame 51 works until 30 ish percent
Toon link
recovers frame 35 lands frame 48 works until 20 ish percent
Roy
recovers frame 37 lands frame 51 works until 32 ish percent
Zss
recovers frame 36 lands frame 49 works until 25 ish percent
lucas
recovers frame 34 lands frame 47 works until 65 ish percent
lucario
recovers on frame 42 lands frame 54 stops working at 10 percent
for some reason this one was inconsistent.
Captain Falcon
recovers frame 44 lands frame 50 works until 170 ish percent

Of the characters I posted, anything with over 8 frames of advantage wolf can down tilt instead of techchase and anything with over 11 frames of advantage running shine will true combo. Sometimes characters in between are susceptible to pivot shine.

Last edited:

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
http://www.meleeitonme.com/how-to-improve-your-tech-chasing/

For those of you who don't want to read through it, the most important advice to take away from it imo is: don't overwhelm yourself with options for covering different techs, it is a lot easier to get consistent tech chases if you do the same thing for a certain option every time.
Quote from article: "know exactly what you are going to do in every option before your opponent hits the ground" it is the only bold quote in the article.

Im not sure that the article is trying to persuade readers to preform less complecated options, I think the article is emphasizing habit forming.

Having said that, Lima does appear to make that pitch when he goes on to compare how simple peach techchases are compared to fox ones, because fox has so many options to "sort through".

He talks about how he has defaulted to up smash and dd grab techchases when under tournament stress "in order to avoid being overwhelmed in the search for perfect responses" and goes on to say "I believe this reduction of calculation time is paramount to strengthening reactive connections".

Fair enough.

Here is what i think you are missing:
"I believe this is the foundation of real reactive tech chasing, and that everyone should begin by thinking of options in this simplified way."

Key word there is begin.
"As the compression of calculation time becomes more pronounced and you become faster and faster at repeating your single option, you may realize that there is enough time to squeeze in another calculation."

He goes on to do exactly what we have done in this thread.

Still, thanks for the refrence to a great article, although imo you didn't quite understand Lima.

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
Quote from article: "know exactly what you are going to do in every option before your opponent hits the ground" it is the only bold quote in the article.

Im not sure that the article is trying to persuade readers to preform less complecated options, I think the article is emphasizing habit forming.

Having said that, Lima does appear to make that pitch when he goes on to compare how simple peach techchases are compared to fox ones, because fox has so many options to "sort through".

He talks about how he has defaulted to up smash and dd grab techchases when under tournament stress "in order to avoid being overwhelmed in the search for perfect responses" and goes on to say "I believe this reduction of calculation time is paramount to strengthening reactive connections".

Fair enough.

Here is what i think you are missing:
"I believe this is the foundation of real reactive tech chasing, and that everyone should begin by thinking of options in this simplified way."

Key word there is begin.
"As the compression of calculation time becomes more pronounced and you become faster and faster at repeating your single option, you may realize that there is enough time to squeeze in another calculation."

He goes on to do exactly what we have done in this thread.

Still, thanks for the refrence to a great article, although imo you didn't quite understand Lima.
Of course, if you feel like you can get a better option in time there's no reason not to. I'm not sure how comfortable you can get with tech reaction times, because I'm not there yet. But after reading the article I think it's a lot easier to improve that reaction time without confusing yourself with an overwhelming amount of options for covering one tech option, and picking a good, consistent, and rewarding option that you can use most of the time. I will try to find that option for me (1 for each tech option), grind it, and see where it goes from there. I believe my reaction time will improve faster that way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom