• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Wolf Social Discussion

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
To put it simply, Wolf is one of my two favorite Star Fox characters in the series (next to Falco) for his personality and background. Enough said.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
That sucks. I'm not into hack and slash games so idk most of them. DS1 in particular was really bad with checkpoints. Especially my first time through when I played blind and missed several hidden bonfires. I had to run all the way through the catacombs because I didn't know you can survive the drop into the area with the blacksmith guy. But even knowing all the check points it's still a pain to speedrun past all the enemies that respawn in several places to get to bosses like Seath or Nito. DS3 had some unnecessary bonfires (so did DS1 to be fair) but at least it had enough.
Hack 'n' slash games are kind of niche the way I see it. They're a bit more prominent with the internet giving more exposure to them with an infamous example being DmC: Devil May Cry and big names being made into hack 'n' slash games like Fire Emblem Warriors, Fist of the North Star, Hyrule Warriors, and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance or their characters being guests in other games like Bayonetta, Dante, Kratos, and Raiden have all been recent guest characters where Raiden's appearance was probably the least memorable since Playstation All-Stars wasn't that big from what I remember.

So, hack 'n' slash games can be divided into two types of games. Technically three since games like Diablo are sometimes called hack 'n' slash games, but they're mainly RPGs, so I don't know why they're sometimes called hack 'n' slashes. Anyway, the first type was the one I was talking about where they can be difficult, especially on harder difficulties, they have extensive move lists, and they're kind of like "singleplayer fighting games". For one, Ryu Hayabusa's move list in the Team Ninja Ninja Gaiden games is similar to a Dead or Alive character's move list which considering they're both made by Team Ninja is kind of expected. The second are more like crowd beat 'em ups where you do have a move list, there are bosses in some of the games, but they're mainly focused on you being able to destroy an army, rack up a massive kill count, and gameplay usually takes place on large maps rather than levels that you progress through like in God of War. Some of them are grindy as a result, but it's in a fun way where you can kick back and relax. Also, you can sometimes learn a bit of history or literature such as from the Dynasty Warriors or Samurai Warriors games.

For a regular playthrough, games of the first type aren't that bad. It's when you're dealing with harder difficulties or some of the older games that you might encounter some issues. I know people have said that Master Ninja mode for the Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 are hell, but normal difficulty is simply difficult.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Seems like the other characters got the melee treatment but wolf. His frames are so slow and unsafe. He was ×100 better in brawl, his best moves are either nerfed or gone. I know nobody cares but i just needed to rant.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
He is fairly different from Brawl Wolf, more than some are comfortable with understandably, but think he can still be decent in the right hands.

Kookie

Smash Apprentice
I feel like I'm at a complete disadvantage in most match ups in this game now.

SF_Alba

Smash Rookie
NNID
SF_Alba
3DS FC
0318-8552-8933
Seems like the other characters got the melee treatment but wolf. His frames are so slow and unsafe. He was ×100 better in brawl, his best moves are either nerfed or gone. I know nobody cares but i just needed to rant.
I feel like I'm at a complete disadvantage in most match ups in this game now.

I’m surprised you’re not doing well with him. Play him right and he’s pretty damn good.

Try to space with your f-tilt, keep the opponent at range. Force them to approach using your blaster. Nair and fair are your best options for getting in close. Jab is quick and can lead into, or be lead into by many things. Bair is powerful but it’s slow, so be careful using it.

Offstage game is pretty poor, due to limited recovery options, so it’s best to stay on the stage unless you’re certain you’ll get a kill with the edge guard. He has a lot of fast and powerful options, to compensate.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
I’m surprised you’re not doing well with him. Play him right and he’s pretty damn good.

Try to space with your f-tilt, keep the opponent at range. Force them to approach using your blaster. Nair and fair are your best options for getting in close. Jab is quick and can lead into, or be lead into by many things. Bair is powerful but it’s slow, so be careful using it.

Offstage game is pretty poor, due to limited recovery options, so it’s best to stay on the stage unless you’re certain you’ll get a kill with the edge guard. He has a lot of fast and powerful options, to compensate.
Edge guard?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Edge guard?
Are you asking how to edgeguard or what edgeguarding is? If it's the latter, then here's the wiki's page on it: https://www.ssbwiki.com/Edgeguarding.

If it's the former, then you can use Blaster to put out hitboxes to deter the opponent from recovering high and try to 2-frame ledge grabs with angled Ftilt, Dtilt, or Down Smash. I'm not sure if he can angle Side Smash where if he can, then that could work too. Up Smash and Down Smash can be used to cover rolls from ledge since they can hit behind him where Up Smash's first hit will hit in front and behind him while Down Smash's second hit will hit behind him. Maybe Nair if it hits that far behind him, but I doubt it. Nair's high active frames would also make it a good move to cover ledge get ups. It's not as fast as Fox's Nair, but it'll do the job. Side Smash and Down Smash also have low recovery at 19 frames for Side Smash and 29 frames for the first hit of Down Smash, so you could hit someone's shield if they're going for a ledge get up and if spaced, they might not be able to hit back and Wolf could jab, Ftilt, Dtilt, or whatever in response.

If they're recovering high or you know you can get to them off-stage safely, then you can just hit them with whatever aerial you want. Ledge-trumping is another thing you can do, but with Wolf's Bair being frame 13, it might not work as well as say, Fox who has a frame 9 Bair. Maybe you could catch them with another aerial if they hit far enough behind him. Wolf's Reflector has invincibility on frames 6-9 and has 23 recovery frames according to Kurogane Hammer: http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/Wolf, so you could do something weird where you use its invincibility as a shield against your opponent's attacks and hit them to edgeguard. Keep in mind that its hitbox is probably not that big.

Quick edit: Seagull Joe and Snow's Wolf recent gameplay are some things you can use. See what they're doing, what works, what doesn't work. There's more on the channel.

Seagull Joe vs. Guy's Incineroar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfYBRD_ltHA.

Snow vs. Mettsu's ROB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=addXpSIFa9k.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I haven't unlocked Wolf yet. From the changes I've read about he looks nerfed but I'll hold my judgements. Unlocking take forever and yes I know about the console reset trick.

What do you guys think of World of Light? It's kind of a cheap adventure mode but with all the characters I forgive that. The RPG elements are fun, more cutscenes would have been nice to break the repetitiveness. It's alright.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Wolf is anything but nerfed. Check out Shofu's YouTube channel for some guaranteed kill combos and ledge traps.
EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d.

Last edited:

KRDsonic

Smash Master
What do you guys think of World of Light? It's kind of a cheap adventure mode but with all the characters I forgive that. The RPG elements are fun, more cutscenes would have been nice to break the repetitiveness. It's alright.
World of Light was ok. It's the first thing I did, and went through and 100%ed it on Normal Mode. Balance was a huge issue. Many fights were way too easy, then some were just randomly WAY more difficult than they should have been. A lot of characters just aren't viable for the mode too unfortunately. I wanted to play Sheik for a while since I played her a lot in Brawl, but she's kinda terrible against multiple opponents at the same time.

I was sad that Wolf was unlocked so late since I was hoping to get to use him through most of it.

:059:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Hey everyone I really like Wolf's design in this game compared to Brawl, He looks more like a ruthless pirate now. Also I really like Mike West's performance as him, though I know many prefer Jay Ward.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
I like his brawl design better and definitely his taunts better. Idk who said it but they said wolfs voice in brawl sounded like a muscular and seductive black man, all the more reason he was so cool. I miss the chain noise when he jumps too.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
The only audio difference I dislike is the sad little roar he does. The howl is exactly the same, but the new VA is so smooth and refined-sounding. Like when he says, "Weaklings, the lot of you..."? So much classier.

rsr2

Smash Lord
The only thing I consider a nerf on Wolf are his taunts. Down taunt is hilarious to me so I plan on using that quite a bit.

Also I am having a lot of fun playing Wolf when I can. I do not have a switch at the moment but I do plan on playing regularly at the events I host. Hopefully my old brawl, brittle hands can keep up.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I only just got an online subscription to Nintendo's online service yesterday. I did some online matches and now Quick Play got replaced by something called Elite Smash. I have no idea what that changes, but I guess that means I'm doing good so far.

I'm surprised how easy it's been to translate my Brawl Wolf knowledge and skills to Smash Ultimate Wolf. I'm still trying to get used to his Bair's startup lag, but he feels pretty similar playstyle-wise. Just a worse recovery and he has much less safe options on shield. It's really nice having a usable Nair and a Fair that can be used while falling now.

I've also been liking Bowser and King K. Rool as well.

I'm also looking forward to when I get my Gamecube controller back, since playing with a Nintendo Switch controller isn't quite the same. So many of my Ftilts get turned into Fsmashes, and so many of my Shields get turned into rolls.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Seriously happy this character has returned. Smash 4 was like the dark ages for me.

And now that it seems like he's increasingly viable, it'll be nice to have a character to play that I can put work toward and (hopefully) get results that match the work involved...

perfectedidiot2.0

Smash Rookie
One new account later, cause why would I remember the password to an account I haven't used in 10 years?

It's weird recognizing some of these names.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
So, what do we think are Wolf's worst matchups right now? Personally, I'm thinking the Mario Bros. are pretty rough. They do everything we do in the air, but better.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So... do we know Wolf’s lines against Fox and Falco?

Haven’t seen them anywhere online yet.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
So... do we know Wolf’s lines against Fox and Falco?

Haven’t seen them anywhere online yet.
Wolf winning against Fox: "Playtime's over, Star Fox!"
Wolf using his final smash against Wolf/Falco: "I've got you now, Star Fox!"
Fox using his final smash against Wolf: "This is the end for you, Wolf!"

There doesn't seem to be anything else.

godogod

Smash Ace
Too bad he doesn't have his troll taunt from brawl.

Just unlocked him today. Overall he feels buffed from brawl. Really liking the buffs to his laser, wolf flash and even faster start up special for specials. Also, his dash attack, up tilt, neutral air, forward air, and up air feel amazing. Side smash is strong, but I do miss the range of the old one. His biggest nerf probably is that increased start up for his back aerial, less range on up special, more start up on up smash, and a few others. But overall feels like an improvement. I don't think he will go above mod tier personally.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
So in the pre-game loading screens, the game basically says Fire Wolf is a kill move. And it actually is pretty good at punishing rolls.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Down taunt is disgusting, Wolf looks/sounds like he's violently hacking up a hairball. Who approved this.

Anyways, came across a solid video that goes over many of the mechanics changes between Smash 4 and Ultimate. Figured it'd be good to share if anyone here is still pretty new to Smash and hasn't been doing much research elsewhere :)

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Its funny. Despite how criminally powerful his Dsmash is, Ive had hella success landing and killing consistently, reliably, and easier with the short range Fsmash. It differently needs spacing and prediction, but that isn't a problem for me.

Last edited:

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I feel like his Fsmash actually isn't too bad now that I've gotten used to it. I mainly get kills with it by stepping back and doing a reverse Fsmash to hit someone if they chase me.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Its funny. Despite how criminally powerful his Dsmash is, Ive had hella success landing and killing consistently, reliably, and easier with the short range Fsmash. It differently needs spacing and prediction, but that isn't a problem for me.
I have way more success with fsmash than dsmash. A lot of my KOs from dsmash are just from catching people at the ledge or really clear, obvious punishes. Most of my raw KOs (from smashes) seem to come from fsmash, and usmash through platforms.

Blazer

Smash Ace
Our pet is so good this time. I'm glad to actually have the character I enjoyed back now, and in a form we can use to actually really compete.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Honestly, you take away chain grabbing and Wolf was always high tier in Brawl.

Top Bottom