• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Wolf Social Discussion

T!t!

Smash Cadet
While waiting for the release of Ultimate I got a question for you folks.

Looking at these two pictures(one of the E3, one from Chrom's pictures on the official website), is it just me or did Wolf improve visually quite a bit from the first picture to the last one?

I feel like the head looks crisp. Also I feel the lightings on him are way better in this last image compared to the other one above.

Mellos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Beslic
While waiting for the release of Ultimate I got a question for you folks.

Looking at these two pictures(one of the E3, one from Chrom's pictures on the official website), is it just me or did Wolf improve visually quite a bit from the first picture to the last one?

I feel like the head looks crisp. Also I feel the lightings on him are way better in this last image compared to the other one above.
I compared his model with Fox and Falco back after E3. He was definitifely rushed for the trailer: Missing fur lines, stranges jaw, ...
Glad to see Wolf got the update, he deserves.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Just wanna drop by and leave one of Wolf's victory screens here as seen on Treehouse Live.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I am so excited for Wolf guys! Seeing him in action at the treehouse was amazing! He looks fantastic! IM SO EXCITED

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Forward Smash looks nerfed
Dash attack looks sexy as ****
I pray Reflector keeps its invincibility
Wolf's Final Smash looks like the best of the three Star Fox FS due to how large the retucle is
Wolf Flash leaves Wolf helpless...
Wolf Flash looks even easier to sweetspot with

Overall, I'm happy. I'm very happy.

Cin726

Smash Cadet

I love this design. Can we get this an an alt uniform in Ultimate please?

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Even the guy from Treehouse confirmed that u can act out of Wolf flash, but he just wasnt ready and messed up. So apparently you are not helpless like in Brawl.
Did he mean if Wolf Flash connects you can react?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Forward Smash looks nerfed
Dash attack looks sexy as ****
I pray Reflector keeps its invincibility
Wolf's Final Smash looks like the best of the three Star Fox FS due to how large the retucle is
Wolf Flash leaves Wolf helpless...
Wolf Flash looks even easier to sweetspot with

Overall, I'm happy. I'm very happy.
I can confirm intangibility, but it seems to be severely nerfed. Brawl had frame 1 intangibility until some frame after the hitbox (frame 8 hitbox). This one has frame 7-10 intangibility as far as I could tell. Don't know what frame is the hitbox, but it might just be the same (frame 8).

Last edited:

T!t!

Smash Cadet
Did he mean if Wolf Flash connects you can react?
he said that if u are prepared for this to happen, you can act quickly enough to recover. just watch the video of Wolf vs Simon and listen to the commentary straight after the guy dies using Wolf flash. Should answer your question.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
he said that if u are prepared for this to happen, you can act quickly enough to recover. just watch the video of Wolf vs Simon and listen to the commentary straight after the guy dies using Wolf flash. Should answer your question.
He says "can't".

"If you get caught with that side-b, you can't actually act afterwards, so you're in trouble"

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I watched the treehouse twice and that Wolf vs. Simon battle on its own so technically three times, I'll do it again just in case.

Nvm: see above me.

He says "can't".

"If you get caught with that side-b, you can't actually act afterwards, so you're in trouble"
Unless in this case he means "if you get caught (hit) by Wolf's side b, you (the one who got hit by it) cannot act (due to hitstun), so you're in trouble.

I'm confused. I'm just assuming its like in Brawl until definitively proven otherwise.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I watched the treehouse twice and that Wolf vs. Simon battle on its own so technically three times, I'll do it again just in case.

Nvm: see above me.

Unless in this case he means "if you get caught (hit) by Wolf's side b, you (the one who got hit by it) cannot act (due to hitstun), so you're in trouble.

I'm confused. I'm just assuming its like in Brawl until definitively proven otherwise.
I think it's just like Brawl's and the guy didn't know how to phrase it. I think the "if you get caught" was just him doing a poor job of saying "if you go offstage".

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Well I found said Treehouse video for anyone curious to check it out (at the 6:18 mark):

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Simon at 33%
Gets hit by Wolf's Final Smash
Goes up to 76% after
Gets KO'd
Remember that Final Smashes from the meter and not the Smash Ball are supposed to be weaker

33% to 76 & Death

:surprised: The Hell, Wolf???

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Simon at 33%
Gets hit by Wolf's Final Smash
Goes up to 76% after
Gets KO'd
Remember that Final Smashes from the meter and not the Smash Ball are supposed to be weaker

33% to 76 & Death

:surprised: The Hell, Wolf???
Yea, they seem to still be busted even with bars. To be fair though the DI on some of these guys seems suspect.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well I found said Treehouse video for anyone curious to check it out (at the 6:18 mark):

Man look at all those claw slash visuals, especially on Wolf Flash (unfortunately looks like it still leaves you helpless...).

Also he has a new forward smash, a power punch instead of a lunge.

Rawst

Smash Rookie
NNID
Numel322
Meh, why did I think that helplessness after Wolf Flash was removed, like with Zelda's side B? Can't remember where, but I thought I read that somewhere, now I'm bummed. He still looks nice though.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Freefalling after flash isn't bad if you're not stupid about it. Although it could have been cool to flash spike someone into the ground and combo it into a Bair.
I noticed blaster now has an upward pull animation. At least it still is 2 hits.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
New footage from our Smashing Bros. in Spain. Wolf is looking clean.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Freefalling after flash isn't bad if you're not stupid about it. Although it could have been cool to flash spike someone into the ground and combo it into a Bair.
I noticed blaster now has an upward pull animation. At least it still is 2 hits.

It takes away some possibly new recovery options. Plus I was already theorizing how to threaten the opponent with side-b when they were recovering, which sadly won’t be a thing unless you are at such an advantage that it’s fine to take risks.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
Here are Wolf's skins:

wolfskins.png

Last edited:

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
Thank you for this, this was needed. Now let's hope for a better quality video where we can see the finer details much better.

Is that 7th slot black and gold with green tones? I can't quite tell. I think black and white with red tones is my favorite.
It's strikingly similar to the second one, but with a green bandana. The second one also seems to be sleeveless, maybe as a reference to his Brawl appearance?

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
I know this has probably been said already, but Wolf can't Up B out of his Side B... anything else to make up for that? I didn't have enough time to dissect the Treehouse footage so could anyone hit me up on that matter?

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I know this has probably been said already, but Wolf can't Up B out of his Side B... anything else to make up for that? I didn't have enough time to dissect the Treehouse footage so could anyone hit me up on that matter?
He can't act at all after Side-B.

Side-B seems to have a huge sweetspot hitbox? Also, not really a gameplay benefit, but it looks immensely cool.

It's strikingly similar to the second one, but with a green bandana. The second one also seems to be sleeveless, maybe as a reference to his Brawl appearance?
Is there a video with all the chars colors?

Oh. my. god. These are the most amazing colors I’ve seen so far. Holy crap. I was not expecting colors this good! This is a dream come true!!!
To be honest, I don't like them as much, although taste is subjective. The only ones I truly like are the black/red and the blue one. I don't particularly like those weird brownish/purplish shades on his coat. Pink and Default are okay for me.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
His new animation for Up Smash looks dope: https://youtu.be/dY1ydnJQtcY?t=403. I was wondering what they were going to do with that since they basically gave Smash 4 Falco one that functions like Brawl Up Smash, but with higher active frames and later on, added leg invincibility. Wolf keeping his Brawl Up Smash would have been awful as it would had a chance of being a worse version of Falco's provided it wasn't stronger, faster on recovery, and so on, but that's it for my spiel about Falco and Wolf.

So, Up Smash is still the same breakdance twist thing from Sonic, but they reanimated it so it's uniquely Wolf's and not something that looked like it was Sonic's Uair, but repurposed. Wolf starts off going very low to the ground before kicking his legs out and spinning. That low profile alone I could see making this a great anti-air as Wolf lowering his hurtbox means he has more time to put out his hitbox to intercept an aerial. This would be even greater if his legs have invincibility. The first hit would also give it horizontal range so that it's not purely a vertical attack, however, it doesn't look high enough that it could clip someone going for an aerial approach. Maybe someone using a Dair or trying to time their aerial as low as possible, but otherwise, it's mainly there for using Up Smash against grounded opponents or after a setup by Wolf or an ally.

The second hit has Wolf shooting upwards after he finishes his breakdance kick on the ground. So, low profile startup and a high, vertical attack at the end looks like a good combination for a safe anti-air. Its only problem is that it doesn't have as much horizontal range as something like the Up Smashes of Fox, Mario, or Samus, but none of those start off as low as his which is a definite strength of Wolf's new Up Smash. If he has leg invincibility for both hits, then Wolf could low profile an aerial and shoot upwards with a protected hitbox to intercept his opponent. The lack of horizontal range would be mitigated by that as all he needs is to connect his hitbox which is high off the ground and hopefully protected. It's still an issue, but it might not be that bad and Wolf's faster on the ground now so he could get in range more easily than in the past.

This is weird, but the overall animation reminds me of Cammy's Spiral Arrow, but if it was vertical. Both of them are twisting kicks where the difference is that Wolf kicks horizontally at the beginning and doesn't spin for the second hit as he just pops up with legs while Cammy's is a twisting kick that moves her forward, so kicking out horizontally wouldn't really work on the ground. I think I'm just trying to connect something ever since Smash 4 gave Falco Charlie Nash's Somersault Shell for his Up Smash to parallel Fox's and Falco's old Flash Kick.

His new Side Smash being this stationary palm strike: https://youtu.be/dY1ydnJQtcY?t=415, only makes me think of Bruce Lee even more with Ultimate Wolf. I don't know, Wolf having that nose rub and his fighting style makes me think of kung fu, specifically animal styles of which I don't think there's a wolf style, but there is a tiger style. The unarmed fighters are using martial arts, but there's just something about Ultimate Wolf's in particular that makes me think of Bruce Lee with him.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I am the green boi. Dibs.

Fight me if you use it.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Liking the red, blue and purple ones. Willing to take a closer look at all the others too though I'm usually not a fan of pink. Come to think of it, the only pink outfits I've ever liked are Peach's, Roy's and to a lesser extent Robin's. Oh and Brawl MK back when he had gradient on his wings.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I hope Wolf still has the same sound he made during his upsmash in brawl. I thought it sounded cool.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
The third alt really looks sleeveless at a glance, which would instantly make it my top pick, but maybe it's just the colour? Otherwise I'm digging the 7th and 8th variants.

T!t!

Smash Cadet
I do like most of the colors, only 8 i really dislike but that may just be me. 1-4, 6 and 7 look good. Don't know about the green one yet but since I'm fine with 6 of his colors, I guess I won't have an issue finding the right color for me :D

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet
The alts all look a bit too similar for my liking. I'd prefer for wolf's fur colour to change as well in at least some of them.

Top Bottom