• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Wolf Social Discussion

Roikal

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2895-9478-5951
I'm pretty pumped to try him out, I think his new design looks slick af and I love the pink alt, I'll probably be using that one a ton. I'm not a veteran Brawl Wolf main but I loved playing him in PM so I'm excited I can get a similar experience in Ultimate. Also he has my favourite taunt in the whole game.

What's the matter, scared?

I'll try to be way more active in the Character Boards than I was in Smash 4, because I want to start playing Roy and Wolf since day 1 and I hope I can help the community develop their metas. The 6 month wait is going to feel eternal >.<

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Ah-oooo!

Welcome back Wolf, how I've missed you. Here's hoping he plays like he did in Brawl but with this game's much better engine. Hopefully they kept Fsmash, dair and USmash, as those were my favorites. We got the Wolf Flash!

Pretty damn stoked, I can't lie. Been waiting for this since Brawl.
Lemme Bair twice in a short hop like I used to please =P

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Lemme Bair twice in a short hop like I used to please =P
No sourspot on Dair like almost everyone got in Smash 4. I want the double overlapping meteor hitbox back. Upsmash should also have that hard to land sweetspot back, it hardly ever hit but was always surprisingly hype.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Honestly, I'm not sure he needs a buff to any of those things. With chain grabbing gone and the new engine, his only weakness is his ledge grab sweet spot on Fire Wolf. Evidence suggests that magnet hands are gone, so that weakness may stay to balance him out. He was otherwise a great Brawl fighter. He had a near even matchup with MK, for reference.
Everyone outside of NJ thinks Wolf does pretty well against MK in Brawl, but alas... it's barely good enough for MK to not invalidate us imo, given they know the match-up :x I honestly think it was Wolf's worst after D3 and Pika. Character's insane.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Everyone outside of NJ thinks Wolf does pretty well against MK in Brawl, but alas... it's barely good enough for MK to not invalidate us imo, given they know the match-up :x I honestly think it was Wolf's worst after D3 and Pika. Character's insane.
Nerfed MK, plus chain grabs removed. So who counters us now? And that's why Wolf needs nothing but a refresh. :)

And to be fair, MK invalidated everyone but maybe Snake, ICs, Diddy, Marth and Olimar, who all got away because of broken tools of their own, and yet still struggled.

Last edited:

Baddies are back

Smash Apprentice
Hello! I was never a wolf main in brawl when I played consistently, but I'm looking to make him one of my mains in this game. Guess I might be seeing more of you guys from now on.

ottobot

Smash Cadet
2 thoughts:
His claw slash effects look super cool. really distinguishes him from Foxco. My only wish is that they would do more to visually distinguish Fox and Falco from each other as well.
Directional air-dodges buff recoveries equally across the board, but because characters with better recoveries get diminishing returns from getting their recoveries buffed, this should feel like more of a buff for characters like wolf, who have poor recoveries.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Based off what I remember, Wolf had a hard time making it onto the ledge. Countless times, I'd slip right past the ledge, even though I was practically touching it.

What Wolf had, though, was great recovery options. Multi-directional Fire Wolf and Wolf Flash were both great ways to get back onto the stage.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
No you are not.

I think his new design actually looks pretty unpolished and weird. He doesn't even look like Wolf anymore, he looks like some punk. I don't like the color scheme at all, nor his head shape. His jaw is actually unfinished (as his entire model looks tbh), just look at the official Wolf video.

THAT is the Wolf I remember from Star Fox. If Sakurai doesn't make his original look an alt that would be seriously unjust; but why do I have a nagging feeling it won't ever be added. Just because he has ONE appearance in a new game all the sudden that's his new design forget the classic Wolf. Yet Megaman keeps his classic look, Sonic, etc. I hate when simple obvious things are missed so blatantly...Can we get the ACTUAL Wolf from Brawl back please?
Would you believe me if I told you people absolutely HATED that Assault design back in '04? It's true~

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Would you believe me if I told you people absolutely HATED that Assault design back in '04? It's true~
Lol. I'm willing to a good portion of it is due to bandwagoning simpletons participating in groupthink(as it is with many things). Could be wrong. To me, it's more of the headshape, color, and visor that are essential to Wolf. I'm pretty open with Wolf's suit design actually, I just like that one for being a relatively simple full body will nice black boots. The purple buckle is a nice and simple touch. He looks official. His Ultimate design looks a smidge like Fox and the color was an awfully flamboyant choice(in a bad way).

Vertrðfurr

Smash Rookie
NNID
GouZekJ.r
3DS FC
4141-2848-1883
I was expecting to not care for the new smash, but then they decided to bring my husbando back. And now I MUST get this game when it comes out.

It feels so good to see him return! I missed him so much in Smash 4 and he looks great in Ultimate, though I lowkey still like his brawl design a little bit more. Here's hoping they make him justice!

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Lol. I'm willing to a good portion of it is due to bandwagoning simpletons participating in groupthink(as it is with many things). Could be wrong. To me, it's more of the headshape, color, and visor that are essential to Wolf. I'm pretty open with Wolf's suit design actually, I just like that one for being a relatively simple full body will nice black boots. The purple buckle is a nice and simple touch. He looks official. His Ultimate design looks a smidge like Fox and the color was an awfully flamboyant choice(in a bad way).
Wolf's in-game model though is certainly unfinished. They made him as presentable as they could, given the deadline for the E3 reveal. When the game releases, I've no doubt that he'll look just like how he does in his character portrait.

As for his design, I do like it, I've just always perfected his look in Assault. For some reason, Sakurai always associates Wolf with the color purple. In Assault, the only purple he had were two bands across his undersuit, and his belt buckle. In Brawl, he has purple highlights on his armor, gloves, boots, and holster. In Smash 4, the Fox alt supposedly based off Wolf was purple with purple-grey fur. Now, he's back with a full-on purple jacket and gloves.

Like I said, I do like it, but I'm really hoping for some good alt. colors for him. Black jacket, brown jacket, or hell, maybe even an alt based on Fox?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Yeah Wolf is definitely in need of touching up. His head looks like a polygon.

Either way that jacket makes up for it. Can't wait to see color variants for that. Hoping the sleek red and white returns.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
what buffs do you want on wolf?

His recovery needs to be better. More distance on up b? In addition, the start up is too slow. Should be near instantaneous. Also, the side b... I wish you can angle it any way you want, instead of always being upward sideways. Would be nice if we could special one into the other once, like side b into up b(hey bayonetta has it), but that might be a bit much.. Other than that.. faster movement speed?
I think his Fire Wolf is good as it is, just that he needs more air control after using it. His normal air control was among the best in SSBB, but after using Fire Wolf it was drastically reduced to being even worse than :luigi2:. Other than that the startup time was already much quicker than both :fox: and :falco:, so I think there are no changes needed for that. Some of his other shortcomings seem to have been addressed already (based on the trailer), such as his NAir being near useless or the running move stopping all of his momentum. I can't think of anything else he really needs.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I'm a bit of an old gamer, y'see. So I was around on the star fox forums back then. Fun fact: The working title was "Star Fox: Armada" and we all thought from all reports that it was going to be a Co-op/multiplayer experience.

Needless to say, as more info was revealed, we were all initially very skeptical. Wolf in particular was a HUGE point of contention. The common thing I kept hearing was that his voice, eye patch, and outfit were all generic. What was once a badazz, British, suave villain with personality now lacked an edge. Not only that, but in the eyes of many, even his THEME was a blight. (The tempo in Assault is much slower than the classic N64 rendition, to a lot of fans' chagrin. I can even remember someone making a fan edit to remedy the matter.)

Don't even get me started on the Landmaster, either.

All in all, it just goes to show that what one thinks is good, is not good to another. Biases will always factor in and make things seem worse than they actually are. You know, It's rather humorous that you use the term "Bandwagon", because if you would have told them that back in the day, they'd say you were a sunshine pumper accepting mediocrity....sounds pretty familiar, huh? Almost as if we do the same thing today............Naaaaaahhhh!

You know what they say: The more things change.......~

Last edited:

rsr2

Smash Lord

Either way that jacket makes up for it. Can't wait to see color variants for that. Hoping the sleek red and white returns.

Saaaaaaame. That's my Brawl color!

Mellos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Beslic
It spend way more time than I would like to admit, but I made something to celebrate his return:

Looks like I am not the only one, happy to see Wolf back ;)
Wolf is Back!.jpg

I hope this isn't to cheesy D:

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Just noticed in his gameplay trailer that Star Wolf help him out in his final smash like Fox and Falco.

While I am glad Wolf finally gets his butt into his proper vehicle, why did they all need the same final smash with small changes again?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Do we know who is voicing Wolf now? Not the same guy as in Brawl, yeah?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Just noticed in his gameplay trailer that Star Wolf help him out in his final smash like Fox and Falco.

While I am glad Wolf finally gets his butt into his proper vehicle, why did they all need the same final smash with small changes again?
Just reusing content. Although it sucks in terms of variety, it's smart in terms of development. Although I'm sad to see that the Landmaster has been officially retired, these new Final Smashes look incredible, and we haven't even seen them in full yet.

Do we know who is voicing Wolf now? Not the same guy as in Brawl, yeah?
I would assume Ja Green would be voicing Wolf now. Ja Green voiced Wolf in Star Fox 64 3D and Star Fox Zero, so seeing how the Star Fox crew are all based off their appearances in Star Fox Zero, it's safe to assume they have their respective voice actors.

I did quite like Ja Green's performance, though, but I'm sure as hell going to miss Jay Ward's interpretation.

Chameleos

Smash Rookie
Just reusing content. Although it sucks in terms of variety, it's smart in terms of development.

I would assume Ja Green would be voicing Wolf now. Ja Green voiced Wolf in Star Fox 64 3D and Star Fox Zero, so seeing how the Star Fox crew are all based off their appearances in Star Fox Zero, it's safe to assume they have their respective voice actors.

I did quite like Ja Green's performance, though, but I'm sure as hell going to miss Jay Ward's interpretation.
Well, at least Jay Ward's performance should still be heard on Lylat Cruise, although I'll definitely miss Wolf's old taunts.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
His old voice was perfect. I am definitely going to miss it.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
Seeing some of the old wolf mains from when I frequented these boards between 2008-2010 feels pretty good. It's been a long time since the Woffle boards

Rizen

Smash Legend
I think his Fire Wolf is good as it is, just that he needs more air control after using it. His normal air control was among the best in SSBB, but after using Fire Wolf it was drastically reduced to being even worse than :luigi2:. Other than that the startup time was already much quicker than both :fox: and :falco:, so I think there are no changes needed for that. Some of his other shortcomings seem to have been addressed already (based on the trailer), such as his NAir being near useless or the running move stopping all of his momentum. I can't think of anything else he really needs.
I remember accidentially wall jumping on the side on yoshi's island, upB-ing strait up, and missing the ledge for an SD in Brawl, lol.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
So, I got to thinking on what Star Fox stages may be returning, then I remembered that Wolf has Lylat Cruise in his background. Went back to check Fox's and Falco's pages.

Looks like Corneria and Venom are returning, with a redesign based on Star Fox Zero. Pretty cool, although I sincerely hope that Orbital Gate Assault doesn't get left behind. A new Star Fox stage would be sick, too.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
I'm thrilled to see Wolf back, and I'm actually pretty fond of his new design, although I wouldn't mind a Brawl skin.
I'm glad I don't have worry if he's going to be cut this time, that took a lot of the enjoyment out of the Sm4sh pre-release hype and even more out of the game itself. In fact, I played it far less than the previous ones. I can see myself playing the new game a long time though!

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
2 thoughts:
His claw slash effects look super cool. really distinguishes him from Foxco. My only wish is that they would do more to visually distinguish Fox and Falco from each other as well.
They did, but there's so much going on that sometimes its hard to notice the stuff, especially if they're shown for like a frame right after a cut from a previous clip of footage. I looked through what I could find for Falco's animation changes and noted them down in this thread: https://smashboards.com/threads/ultimate-falco-gameplay-general-discussion.455401/#post-22115415.

For things that Falco has different from Fox: his dodges, forward, back roll, and side step, are no longer the same as Fox's. His Down Smash is also not based on 64/Melee Fox's anymore. It used to be the same old, splits kick from Melee where he leans towards his leading leg, but now his leading leg is a more horizontal and he leans towards his center. It reminds me of Brawl Fox's for some reason even though they're different at least in startup since Fox crosses his legs before doing the splits. I wished they kept that in Smash 4, but whatever.

The other stuff he was a new rapid jab finisher, his Blaster holstering, and new neutral/forward jump animation. The holstering resembles Fox's now where he twirls his Blaster into his holster, but I think they did that for practicality since Falco used to reach up into the sky and slam the thing back in. It could have worked even with a faster recovery animation, but it's probably just faster to roll the thing in.

The only confirmed moves that Falco has that are Fox's is his dash attack animation which has a slightly different pose and Fire Bird. I'm a bit anxious to see Fire Bird since if it's unchanged, then it's literally going to be a worse version of Fire Fox and assuming Wolf still has it, Fire Wolf or Lightning Tornado if they change it to that. Fire Fox has the same launch frame, but travels faster, further, can kill if someone gets hit by it, and lets Fox keep his aerial mobility in free-fall. Fire Wolf launches I think at half the frames it takes Fire Bird and has the same travel distance and Wolf doesn't really need to use it if he's trying to recover up and at an angle because he has Wolf Flash. Post-Melee Fire Bird is a joke and utter **** since Melee Fire Bird at least had 64 Fire Fox's kill power. Oh, but Falco has a high jump. So do Greninja, Rosalina, and ZSS, but their recoveries are way better let alone their air speed. Sheik's recovery is dumb too and her jump is pretty high.

Anyway, Utilt, Ftilt, Dtilt, Up Smash, Side Smash, Nair, Bair, and Uair are at least they're going to be different if they stay the same and even though Ftilt and Uair are technically Fox's; Ftilt is Melee Fox's and Uair is if Fox didn't turn around since they're both frontflips.

I hope Up Smash stays the same at least in animation. It's basically Street Fighter Alpha's Nash's Somersault Shell and it looks badass. Nair hopefully will change in function or even become a different move since as of Smash 4, it's interchangeable with Fair where Fair has kill power and a dumb landing hit that shouldn't exist while Nair is faster and is more of a combo tool even though they're both combo tools. Does not help that the footage showed Falco using Fair and it's faster at frame 8 now instead of 10. I think Side Smash looks dumb, I hope they change it. There's also the issue of that with the idea of Falco having the strongest Side Smash to Fox's strongest Up Smash and Wolf's strongest Down Smash of the Star Fox characters, his is the slowest on startup at frame 17 to Fox's frame 8 Up Smash and Wolf's frame 8 Down Smash. It hits hard compared to their Side Smashes, but it's slower and not as safe compared to theirs.

Bair's resemblance to Wolf's is something I hope they do address. They have some differences outside of Falco's lingering for a late hit, but it was Wolf's Bair. I don't think anyone else had that kind of kick for their Bair and Falco sort of had his own Bair in Melee because Fox's was changed to a reverse whip kick. I understand why they changed it since they got rid of Bairs that were like sex kicks, but they could have just removed the hitbox instead of changing it and ending up having a kick resemble Wolf's. There are other kicks, other moves they could have given Falco like a quick turn around roundhouse, but nope, let's give him a back kick that looks like and possibly is Wolf's, but edited a bit. With the stupid stuff they've give Falco, they might as well give him a stupid looking move for Bair. Seriously, some of the moves Falco has are inconceivable. He floats above ground for Utilt and rapid jab, his new rapid jab finisher has him inexplicably be able to shift from spinning slashes to an axe kick, and if you saw his Nair, would you believe it was an attack or a lazy spin?

His pummel, throws, and other miscellaneous moves like get-up attack might be changed too which would also include Wolf since if I recall correctly, Wolf had the same pummel, get-up attacks, and such as Fox's. Grab animation doesn't really matter nor does pummels, but it would be neat they were different from each other. Speaking of which, apparently Marth has a new F-throw animation. I'll need to check that.

Fox himself is getting animation changes and polishes as well. I'm pretty sure his jab 2 and maybe jab 1 were changed to look more like a boxer's 1-2, although the straight, jab 2, looks a bit more exaggerated probably to give it more range. Fox's Up Smash's and Side Smash's ending animations looks a bit different as well.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
So was talking about this in the SSB Ultimate Wolfcord

But ya know how shulks have backslash in their name and roys have fire.

Wolfs should have Awoo before their tag in reference to his upsmash and cause wolfs go awoo

Also im so glad hes back. I cried when I saw his reveal lol

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
There's currently two Wolf Discords, one made by Ishiey, the other made by a discord user named Rohan.

Ishiey's server, for now, is the main Smashboards Wolf Discord. However, with Rohan's having a larger population and being generally more established, we're looking at possibly merging the two servers.

For the time being, I'll keep Ishiey's server linked on the front page. Once/if the server's merge, I'll make sure whatever the 'official unofficial' Wolf Discord server is posted on the front page of this thread. Given how long we have until the game's release, there's no particular rush to get things sorted, but it's being worked on.

Link on the front page was set to expire, didn't catch that, but I've updated it to an infinitely lasting invitation. Here's the link to Ishiey's Server.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

That was my favorite costume for him as well. Looked so badass.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
It's great to be back with the pack!

Was a huge Wolf supporter back in the Smash 4 days (lots of good memories in that old thread) and it's nice to see some familiar faces from that time have returned/stayed active.
Can't wait to finally play as Wolf again! It's been so long but the wait is almost over and it's going to be fantastic! :ultwolf:

Also fantastic job AlphaSSB for all the great work you've done (now and in the future)! If Obnoxshush/Dasshizer was still around I'm sure he'd be proud of what you've done since you basically took over his role as pack leader/carried the torch/finished what he started. Amazing work!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I imagine Obnoxshush/Dasshizer is somewhere out there celebrating Wolf’s triumphant return to Smash.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
I imagine Obnoxshush/Dasshizer is somewhere out there celebrating Wolf’s triumphant return to Smash.
I bet he is. Wouldn't bet on him returning but it'd be great if he did come back.

Also good to see you again Tino! Been a long while.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, it would be great to see him and whoever else back again. This well-titled Ultimate Smash has brought so many character communities back together again, though still some notable users missing, but life happens and stuff...

Top Bottom