• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

wolf - primary, secondary?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Tough call. Anyone you've tried? Anyone you like so far?

If it's someone that's really good at gimping recoveries, then a character with a good recovery. I see Yoshi under your name, his recovery is stupid with his aerial mobility. Maybe him? Or if it's someone that's just better at getting in on Wolf than Wolf is at getting in on them...then maybe one of the zoners, so you can keep them out of your face. There is no clear cut "best secondary". I secondary Bowser because his surprisingly long range beats out most characters that outrange Wolf, and tough guy mechanic just eats through weak attacks that would generally combo Wolf. I've also considered Lucas as well to help against some of the better rushdown characters.

Up0n

Smash Cadet
Definitely find someone that you find interesting or fun to play. Honestly this game is so much different than melee (don't have experience with Smash 4 and Brawl) where almost any character can be played at the higher levels. In my opinion I would pick up one swordfighter, one heavy, and Fox for secondaries. I don't suggest Falco even though I love him and tried so hard to play him. He's just lacking a lot that makes Ultimate seperate from the other games. Also Wolf is just a stronger falco with a weaker recovery lol.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Ok so I’m a Ness main and right now I’m using Wolf as a secondary for certain problem matchups. Ness pretty solidly beats Pichu and Pikachu and Snake which can all be problems for Wolf and he really doesn’t have a bad matchup throughout the spread.

He’s a lot different than Wolf in some ways and floaty and not a fast faller at all but in when it comes down to it he’s a very similar character with the same goals because he’s based around aggressive aerial play (him and Wolf probably both have top 5 aerial play in the game) and combos and while he has projectiles they’re not the focus of his kit, he uses them like Wolf, he’s not a zoner. So you won’t feel too out of place playing him if you’re used to Wolf. He’s kind of an all arounder like Wolf. Right now I’d say he’s solidly high tier which is always better than picking a mid-tier character.

The main adjustment would be his recovery and the floaty **** but I find Ness really intuitive and it’s nice to have a fast faller and a floaty character to pull out for different matchups. Also his recovery but PK Thunder isn’t hard to control you can get it down in about an hour or two easy (if it even takes that long) and you’re used to the mediocre recovery anyway lmao. Plus I find Ness just to be an incredibly fun character with a super unique kit that you can be extremely creative with especially with your aerial strings and how you use PSI Magnet and your mix ups

Last edited:
Top Bottom