• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf Combos, Intricacies, and Options

Tbro

Smash Cadet
This is a thread to go over basically anything competitively useful about the most popular competitive character, Wolf. For example, what moves easily link into each other, and at what percents, with what DI? What are some things most people don’t know about the character (like when does the spike hit box come out on dair, or what percentage does Shine start to knock down)? What are his fastest and best options in Neutral, disadvantage, OOS, etcetera? Please reply with anything you find!

elex

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
5530-5959-3983
I've always wanted to do sick combos with wolf and I think there are people out there who also want to do that so here are some combos (not all true) I like to use if I feel like stunting a little bit. A lot of these combos will work especially better if the opponent doesn't know the matchup that well (which is likely because of how young this game is). Btw, this post is still a work in progress as I'll probably be finding out combos and other information as time goes on. Bold is for things I think are better options than the others (subjective, so don't mind telling me otherwise).

TRUE COMBOS:

- Falling fair:
  • Jab at low percents (0% ~ 10%), maybe you end up hitting a landing fair at a really early percent or the opponent is a heavy character.
  • F-tilt (angled up against smaller characters) at low percents (5% ~ 15%). Sets up a techchase, also a good way to pressure shield.
  • Another fair from short hop at low percents (10% ~ 25%), good if you want to extend the combo. You can catch DI away if you dash forward a bit before using the second fair.
  • Up tilt at low percents (0% ~ 20%), not really useful since it doesn't knock up very far for juggles and other options are more effective. Not something I use unless I misinput it as f-tilt.
  • D-tilt at low percents (0% ~ 5%), literally never as good as other options, even if you get the trip.
  • A shorthop up air at low-mid percents (15% ~ 80%), good for setting up a juggle situation while doing around 25%
  • Reverse aerial rush bair at mid percents to high percents (15% ~ 80%), can do as much as 30+ damage if connects and you get the sweetspot with bair. If the opponent DI's away, you can dash forward a bit before turning around and jumping for the bair, but it can be really hard to hit sometimes, especially at low percents.
  • Fullhop dair at mid percents (50% ~ 65%), requires tight execution as you need to fullhop right after landing the first landing fair. Not optimal unless you're hitting an opponent off a stage like battlefield where a bair instead of a dair wouldn't kill.
  • A shorthop nair at low-mid percents (percent data not complete). This works but I don't really see the point of using it, as fair and up air are probably better options.
  • Wolf Flash (angled up) at mid-high percents (70% ~ 80%). If you get the spike hitbox it can kill really early.
  • Down smash at low percents (10% ~ 15%). If you do the down smash too quickly you whiff and if it hits you stale Wolf's strongest kill move, but it sets up a techchase if you're into that. Doesn't work if the opponent DI's away.
  • Forward smash at low percents (10% ~ 15%). Has the same effect as down smash but more damage and easier to execute. Still not something I go for though.
  • Laser at low-mid percents (15% ~ 25%). Kind of inconsistent, and there's no point in staling lasers when you could do more off of a successful fair.

- Falling nair (strong hit):
  • Jab at low percents (percent data not complete). You have to be really close and ftilt works just as good if not better, so I never do this unless maybe by some miracle I'm hitting someone's shield and my jab timing mixes up the opponent's shield release timing.
  • Ftilt at low percents (percent data not complete). Reaches farther than jab and sets up techchases, so it's pretty good.

- Falling nair (weak hit)
  • Wolf Flash (angled down) at high percents (110% ~ 125%). Almost always hits if the opponent doesn't DI like a god or techs on the ground.
  • Dash attack at high percents (90% ~ 120%. Has a wider percent range than Wolf Flash and is probably the better option for lighter characters that can be killed off of the side.
  • F-tilt from low-mid to high percents (40% ~ 90%). Some Wolves spam this and it works lol, I don't blame them.
  • D-tilt from low-mid to mid percents (30% ~ 75%). The only reason I would do this would to string the d-tilt into a Wolf Flash, which doesn't always work.

- Falling up air
  • Up air from low to mid percents (percent data not complete). Sets up a juggle situation and does more damage than a fair.
  • Fair from low to mid percents (percent data not complete).
  • WORK IN PROGRESS

- Dash attack (upward hit)
  • Upair from low-mid to mid percents (30% ~ 70%). Upair covers a wide area and catches jumps, so this is what i go for when i get a dash attack at mid percents.
  • Up tilt (turned around) at low-mid percents (20% ~ 40%)
  • WORK IN PROGRESS

NOT TRUE COMBOS:

- Dash attack (forward hit):

• Landing dair at low-mid percents (percent data not complete), only works if you read a tech or the opponent doesn't tech at all. If they don't tech you have to run forward a bit before shorthopping and fastfalling while dairing. Can be used to build up damage without staling other moves, can be extended further as a combo, and you can even go for multiple dairs if you react to their DI and techs. Or, after you get the first dair, it resets up to around 35%, so you can follow up with anything you want.
  • Laser at almost any percent (percent data not complete), covers multiple tech options (depends on character) and if the character has a big hurtbox it'll even hit them when they don't tech.
  • WORK IN PROGRESS

- Dash attack (upward hit):
  • Bair at mid percents (40% ~ 70%)
  • WORK IN PROGRESS

- F-tilt:
  • Laser (at any percent as long as the opponent doesn't go offstage)
  • WORK IN PROGRESS

That's all the time I have tonight so I'll be working on this more later this week, feel free to discuss and argue with me.

Last edited:

Tbro

Smash Cadet
I've always wanted to do sick combos with wolf and I think there are people out there who also want to do that so here are some combos (not all true) I like to use if I feel like stunting a little bit. A lot of these combos will work especially better if the opponent doesn't know the matchup that well (which is likely because of how young this game is). Btw, this post is still a work in progress as I'll probably be finding out combos and other information as time goes on. Bold is for things I think are better options than the others (subjective, so don't mind telling me otherwise).

TRUE COMBOS:

- Falling fair:
  • Jab at low percents (0% ~ 10%), maybe you end up hitting a landing fair at a really early percent or the opponent is a heavy character.
  • F-tilt (angled up against smaller characters) at low percents (5% ~ 15%). Sets up a techchase, also a good way to pressure shield.
  • Another fair from short hop at low percents (10% ~ 25%), good if you want to extend the combo. You can catch DI away if you dash forward a bit before using the second fair.
  • Up tilt at low percents (0% ~ 20%), not really useful since it doesn't knock up very far for juggles and other options are more effective. Not something I use unless I misinput it as f-tilt.
  • D-tilt at low percents (0% ~ 5%), literally never as good as other options, even if you get the trip.
  • A shorthop up air at low-mid percents (15% ~ 80%), good for setting up a juggle situation while doing around 25%
  • Reverse aerial rush bair at mid percents to high percents (15% ~ 80%), can do as much as 30+ damage if connects and you get the sweetspot with bair (hitting the back of an opponent). If the opponent DI's away, you can dash forward a bit before turning around and jumping for the bair, but it can be really hard to hit sometimes, especially at low percents.
  • Fullhop dair at mid percents (50% ~ 65%), requires tight execution as you need to fullhop right after landing the first landing fair. Not optimal unless you're hitting an opponent off a stage like battlefield where a bair instead of a dair wouldn't kill.
  • A shorthop nair at low-mid percents (percent data not complete). This works but I don't really see the point of using it, as fair and up air are probably better options.
  • Wolf Flash (angled up) at mid-high percents (70% ~ 80%). If you get the spike hitbox it can kill really early.
  • Down smash at low percents (10% ~ 15%). If you do the down smash too quickly you whiff and if it hits you stale Wolf's strongest kill move, but it sets up a techchase if you're into that. Doesn't work if the opponent DI's away.
  • Forward smash at low percents (10% ~ 15%). Has the same effect as down smash but more damage and easier to execute. Still not something I go for though.
  • Laser at low-mid percents (15% ~ 25%). Kind of inconsistent, and there's no point in staling lasers when you could do more off of a successful fair.

- Falling nair (strong hit):
  • Jab at low percents (percent data not complete). You have to be really close and ftilt works just as good if not better, so I never do this unless maybe by some miracle I'm hitting someone's shield and my jab timing mixes up the opponent's shield release timing.
  • Ftilt at low percents (percent data not complete). Reaches farther than jab and sets up techchases, so it's pretty good
  • WORK IN PROGRESS

- Falling nair (weak hit)
  • WORK IN PROGRESS

- Falling up air
  • WORK IN PROGRESS

NOT TRUE COMBOS:

- Dash attack (forward hit):

• Landing dair at low-mid percents (percent data not complete), only works if you read a tech or the opponent doesn't tech at all. If they don't tech you have to run forward a bit. Can be used to build up damage without staling other moves, can be extended further as a combo, and you can even go for multiple dairs if you react to their DI and techs. Or, after you get the first dair, it resets, so you can follow up with anything you want.
  • Laser at almost any percent (percent data not complete), covers multiple tech options (depends on character) and if the character has a big hurtbox it'll even hit them when they don't tech.
  • WORK IN PROGRESS

- Dash attack (upward hit):
  • WORK IN PROGRESS

That's all the time I have tonight so I'll be working on this more later this week, feel free to discuss and argue with me.
Falling fair to jab is one I frequently use but laser sounds so much more badass lol. “Yeah, I just shot you from close range”

elex

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
5530-5959-3983
i wish it could be used as some kind of disrespect like the mango vs taj @ genesis 2 clip, but its actually optimal sometimes so it doesnt really work lol

Top Bottom