• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf Combo Potentials

Minn_OW

Smash Rookie
I've had a few potential combos that could work for Wolf, and leave some more ideas in the replies since I'm gonna be testing Wolf combos almost all day tomorrow to see what works and maybe some frame data using the frame by frame tools.
The only idea for a combo so far for Wolf is a relatively simple one but effective, fast fall dair into up-smash; from what I've seen against people I play online, fast fall dair to up-smash is something people can't do anything about once they are going down from the dair. It also seems to work if they tech it and either roll to the left or right, since the hitbox of up-smash seems large enough to catch them in it anyway, but just to be safe, dash in the direction of the enemy then up-smash very quickly afterwards, they shouldn't be able to escape if done correctly.

Leave any more combo ideas in the replies if think of a few, I may be a filthy memer but I am passionate about unlocking Wolf's real potential in ssbb, pm, and now, ssbu.

MeLON17

Smash Rookie
I've had a few potential combos that could work for Wolf, and leave some more ideas in the replies since I'm gonna be testing Wolf combos almost all day tomorrow to see what works and maybe some frame data using the frame by frame tools.
The only idea for a combo so far for Wolf is a relatively simple one but effective, fast fall dair into up-smash; from what I've seen against people I play online, fast fall dair to up-smash is something people can't do anything about once they are going down from the dair. It also seems to work if they tech it and either roll to the left or right, since the hitbox of up-smash seems large enough to catch them in it anyway, but just to be safe, dash in the direction of the enemy then up-smash very quickly afterwards, they shouldn't be able to escape if done correctly.

Leave any more combo ideas in the replies if think of a few, I may be a filthy memer but I am passionate about unlocking Wolf's real potential in ssbb, pm, and now, ssbu.
Yo im trying to main wolf also keep me posted on any new combos

Minn_OW

Smash Rookie
Yo im trying to main wolf also keep me posted on any new combos
Don't worry, I want to help people become acknowledged in the arts of Wolf so I'll be sure to keep this updated whenever something new arises.

Skydra

Smash Cadet
Early damage racking combos for me are weak falling nair into a variety of options such as Ftilt (FF falling nair into Ftilt 34-94(/98 second hit?)), dash attack, and running jab. It doesn't really have enough hitstun to be true before 34, and becomes techable at 83 where it starts sending them into tumble. On one hand, you lose your true combo options at 83, but on the other hand a tech chase situation could result in an effective read.

Also, Uthrow Uair is true according to the combo counter at varying percents on different characters. DI will considerably weaken its potential, but I've gotten it to combo from 0-111 on Falcon according to the combo counter. I suspect the combo counter has the similar issues as it did in Smash 4, though.

Finally, Fair can combo into itself, or Wolf Flash. Test it out, see what works for you, its extremely versatile even if not always true.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
fair is utterly godlike, not only is it safe as hell on shield but it also leads into EVERYTHING. I've gotten double fair into double up air for 45% at mid percents or triple fair into double up air on some characters. I've also gotten double fair into nair into another fair into up airs or flash depending on how high the percent is or how they DI. Lastly FF fair can combo into bair for a kill at like 80 or so percent. FF nair can combo extremely well at lower percents into stuff like ftilt dash attack or jabs, possibly also a grab (further testing needed for that), It can also combo into fair strings (maybe?) down smash, another nair, or flash. Speaking of flash, fair can also combo into flash for stupidly low kills at percents like sub 50%. FF Up air can lead into itself like 2 or 3 times or even more with platforms, this thing is utterly ridiculous on platforms since it sharks so damn well and leads into so much if you hit it. Singular fair can also lead into up air strings if you manage to hit it on a floaty enough or big enough character, or if they're at high enough percent, as for throw combos, at low percents you can get up throw into up air at lower percents up until mid percents, does decent damage and puts them into a terrible position. Dthrow can also combo into dash attack, which you can potentially get a up tilt or ftilt from that dash attack if you watch what hitbox the opponent is launched with.

Cypher76

Smash Rookie
After seeing Leffen’s video, it looks like Dthrow can combo into Flash at certain percentages (https://youtu.be/7QtXNnMJI7Q?t=714). Looks like there could be two possible windows, one where you can flash right after the Dthrow, and another where you can still hit the Flash if you take a short dash after the Dthrow. Obviously if they get to a higher damage than that, then you should just go for the backthrow. Haven’t gotten to try this much myself yet, but I thought it was pretty interesting to know about

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I've been getting some decent runs started with SH reverse late-hit nair - strings almost perfectly into ftilt or dash attack at low-mid percents. Kind of a good "get out of my face" move if someone breaks past your laser camping and you want another option other than SH fair.

I know it's nothing crazy new, Jigglypuff has been able to do it forever now, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Skydra

Smash Cadet
I've been getting some decent runs started with SH reverse late-hit nair - strings almost perfectly into ftilt or dash attack at low-mid percents. Kind of a good "get out of my face" move if someone breaks past your laser camping and you want another option other than SH fair.
Hmm, I'll have to try it in reverse myself, I've mostly been late-hitting nair foward into ftilt. Any advantage specifically to reversing?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Hmm, I'll have to try it in reverse myself, I've mostly been late-hitting nair foward into ftilt. Any advantage specifically to reversing?
Not necessarily, the hitbox is basically the same, just the positioning ends up slightly different. With how the control system works in Ultimate, If they're trying to do something and I get turned around, or they get behind me, it's a bit easier and faster for me just to reverse nair versus trying to turn around.

Kookie

Smash Apprentice
Are there any that are relatively easy to pull off in an online environment? I've been getting the hang of him offline but online I'm just dropping anything resembling a combo left and right.

02Samus

Smash Rookie
So i may have a found a niche little trick, nothing special but can be sort of a gimp or trait of kill potential
with most middle weight characters around 45-58, you can FFSH fair>dash>FH dair. must be quick though- true combo.
AND, if they manage to survive, which they might- you can see them trying to recover and that will be your chance of landing a sweet spot side-b
super risky, i know LOL but honesly i've gotten it on a couple of lvl 9 bots 4head

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Are there any that are relatively easy to pull off in an online environment? I've been getting the hang of him offline but online I'm just dropping anything resembling a combo left and right.
Hmmm, never thought about the possibility of online hurting him. He's a very reactionary character, so perhaps it has some truth to it?

I am honestly struggling to put two moves together as a string, nevermind multiple moves. Sourspot Nair seems to be his best grounded startup from I've gathered thus far.

I know Fair and Uair are good, maybe I should early % combos with those.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I think once you get the spacing of his attacks and grabs down comboing becomes a bit easier online, as long as the lag is very minute. I had a lot of issues initially but I think that's because I kept whiffing grabs and stuff. Dthrow to dash attack and uthrow to fair/uair are great combo starters, fair to fair to (maybe) fair to (wishful thinking) fair, etc. Sometimes grounded dair to uair to mix it up.

I have more issues stringing attacks together on really small and short characters like Pichu than the taller and fatter ones.

I also have yet to be able to hit the alluring dthrow to side b in any real match situation...

Shahnaz

Smash Rookie
I also have yet to be able to hit the alluring dthrow to side b in any real match situation...
I've had better results waiting a tiny bit to Side B to see where my opponent is, since you can aim with it. It's very character dependent so it's something we'll have to learn eventually.

Eagle

Smash Lord
You can buffer the jump when you up throw making it reliable to land online.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I'm really liking nair > dashgrab/dthrow > dash attack since you get to reclaim like, all stage control. It's not always true but still has great option coverage.

Ryoma_LightningFox

Smash Rookie
So from what I know so far, you can dash attack > reverse utilt at lower percents. And (correcting my post from earlier) sweetspot nair > dtilt trips at 0. Allows for a dash grab though so it's great for that if you get the trip and then you can uthrow > uair for good starting damage.

Last edited:

MeLON17

Smash Rookie

So from what I know so far, you can dash attack > reverse utilt at lower percents. And (correcting my post from earlier) sweetspot nair > dtilt trips at 0. Allows for a dash grab though so it's great for that if you get the trip and then you can uthrow > uair for good starting damage.
I found a sorta combo thing with wolf. At low percents15-20 heavys 17-26 medium and 20-29 low if u utilt can hit a sh fair, but the can airdodgr out if it but if they dont u can get around 4 fairs to combo into each other it does around 40-50 damage correct me if im wrong on anything

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I was labbing some sh ff uair stuff. At low percents like 10-15 it can true combo into dsmash, and even later into usmash. The dsmash one is pretty impractical but it does like 29%.

SHFF uair is ruff though, I was having a hard time hitting it consistently on Samus, and she's a tall girl. Back hit of uair is 100% better and leads into bair.

Last edited:

Muramishi

Smash Rookie
Wolf has good potential in this iteration. Here's a video showcasing some of that:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Down throw to Wolf Flash is a kill combo at mid percents...but it also kills wolf too since there's no place on stage you can use that for a kill but also be able to grab the ledge. Now I see why they didn't take away this attack's special fall like they did for Fox and Falco. You'll also have to angle the move to account for their potential DI which is a high stakes prediction. Makes for a flashy option when they're on last stock I guess.

Last edited:

Mister M

Smash Apprentice
Down throw to Wolf Flash is a kill combo at mid percents...but it also kills wolf too since there's no place on stage you can use that for a kill but also be able to grab the ledge. Now I see why they didn't take away this attack's special fall like they did for Fox and Falco. You'll also have to angle the move to account for their potential DI which is a high stakes prediction. Makes for a flashy option when they're on last stock I guess.
You can do it centre stage on certain characters and still kill if you don't get the spike box.

Firox

Smash Master
I discovered an extra hit to the Fair into Fair combo. What you do is SH FF Fair-> Fair->FF land Up tilt. It's true from 0 to about 50% depending on weight and adds a little spice to the otherwise bread and butter combo. The ending pops them up for a potential followup or air dodge punish.

Up0n

Smash Cadet
It's not really a combo but I do hit this about 30-40% of the time with smaller characters is the double dash fTilt. It's catches people off guard hard. Also if you knock them off the map slightly with it go straight into a up smash and it usually clips them at the end of the animation for the spike if they have a normal dash recovery or double jump.

PingleFingle

Smash Rookie
NNID
GummiSharkz
Switch FC
SW-0641-1519-5608
I don't mean to be a shill but I made a video on some jab lock combos.

Top Bottom