• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf 2.0.0 patch speculation

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Let me preface this with: I have never mained a character that was considered “very good” in any smash game during the time in which I played them since Melee. When I was really big on Brawl, Wolf was still like low D tier. When I was big on Smash 4, Duck Hunt was considered somewhat garbage - during the pre-Raito era.

Most of us have heard about the probable incoming balance patch. I have never played a character that was really good right out the gate in patch-era Smash. I’ve always had to hope for buffs, nerfs were a laughable thing. So I am rightfully a bit terrified of them now.

I don’t know the Wolf presence in Elite Smash, but apparently they’re focusing on balancing the game based on Elite matches. I’m hoping buffs, but afraid maybe people trying to style in Elite Smash with gnarly side B combos could possibly ruin some things. Does anyone have any ideas to offer on what they might change on Wolf? What they want, what he needs?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I don’t think they’re gonna change Wolf. He’s not a polarizing character and he’s not considered the best character in the game. There’s literally nothing broken or off about him. He’s really good and completely fair. I think you’re safe

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I don't think Wolf will get any direct nerfs, maybe a few tweaks like what they did with upB already though (larger hitbox but less knockback). Hopefully we only get global changes, like having hitboxes match animations so our jab can connect consistently.

Honestly, I agree that Wolf is in a really good spot given the current state of the game. Hopefully he doesn't get impacted by much for the next few patches.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
I understand the fear of patch-era smash. Considering this is the best wolf has ever been losing any of his current options would truly be a ashame. I too feel he is quite balanced already in correlation to the rest of the cast, and there really isn’t anything “OP” about him that would warrant a nerf.

I actually think any buff or nerf at this point on him would definitely tip him into being too strong and would then draw further attention. If anything, the only actual adjust I would make to Wolf is maybe some frame changes and hotboxes. It can sometimes be buggy with some of his hits, and I would generally like to see a few less frames on D-smash.

Outside of that, I think it’s good to go.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
One thing I'd love, which I know they'll never implement, is the ability to act out of side B like the other spacies. I'm assuming they made Wolf go into freefall since it does cover some vertical distance. But at the same time, Wario can cover vertical distance with jumping off his bike, and doesn't go into freefall. I think that ability would shoot him into top 5 easily.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
One thing I'd love, which I know they'll never implement, is the ability to act out of side B like the other spacies. I'm assuming they made Wolf go into freefall since it does cover some vertical distance. But at the same time, Wario can cover vertical distance with jumping off his bike, and doesn't go into freefall. I think that ability would shoot him into top 5 easily.
Yes! This would be amazing! It would definitely shoot him up do to the added recovery, but at least it wouldn’t be a oppressive as say increasing his damage or improving his frame data. In fact, it would just be a great overall QoL.

Can they make his Up B not ****
Lmaooooo

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
More diagonal distance for less knockback would be ok by me
The horizontal distance depresses me
SO
MUCH

The only thing I can see possibly being nerfed is lasers and their speed. Considering the fact that, due to their speed and hitstun and damage, they can almost shut down the neutrals of so many slower and bigger characters, and characters that rely on projectile camping. But outside of that he's pretty much fine. He may have outstanding strengths in every aspect outside of obviously recovery and his ground mobility being subpar, but none of those strengths, stupid good as they may be, are truly oppressive or jank.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Found it odd that nothing happened with Wolf in the balance update, but I guess he wasn’t one of the biggest characters that needed changes. Like they sometimes say, no news is good news.

Lt. Sykes

Smash Rookie
I would find it silly if they were to try and take away the side b combos from Wolfs game, and I say this solely based on the fact that it’s an entirely high risk high reward maneuver that’s used situationally. If you don’t know the exact percentages it’s possible and perfectly time them and pull them off based on your opponents DI, you are likely to SD. That alone should keep Wolf safe, and unfortunately it probably means we won’t ever get to act out of side b like Fox and Falco can, but I’m willing to take that trade if it means they’re not going to change Wolf in any other sense.

As has been previously stated in this thread, Wolf doesn’t have anything particularly in need of nerfs, and the only things that I think he could be buffed with are making his jab consistent, d-smash to be quicker, and the horizontal/diagonal distance on up b improving slightly. I am fine with no changes to Wolf though as long as it means they don’t make him worse. Being untouched in the first patch is enough for me to believe Wolf might make it through future patches okay because his moveset is already fairly balanced.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
No, he actually got no changes. Nintendo released patch notes this time.

Up0n

Smash Cadet
I think there is too many weaknesses with Wolf's horizontal distance on his side B and the reduce range on his up B when it's diagonal for him to be in a serious need of a nerf. I will say though his lazer is absolutely disgusting. About 40-50% damage of every stock I take is from my lazer xD

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Hoping Nintendo pays no attention to complainers on twitter. Otherwise prepare your anuses for the next balance patch. :rolleyes:

Honestly the level of players who are much better than I calling for nerfs on Wolf’s laser and back air is kind of alarming. Patch culture at its finest. When will the next flavor of the month character drop in to take some of the heat off Wolf?

Last edited:

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
If anything's getting patched, it's the size of the hitbox on upB imo. But they buffed the size on the launch day patch, so... maybe they'll find some tweaks to dash attack if anything?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Can we request if they take anything away at all, to replace Wolf’s dair with Falco’s dair to make up for it. One can wish

Top Bottom