• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Knights - Saber Artoria for Smash Support Thread

D

Deleted member

download16bce8f7_mulated_2f0_2fDownload_2ftheVideoGameGallery_32600_3320x4446.png

True Name: Artoria Pendragon
Class: Saber
Noble Phantasm: Excalibur

Introduction: Who is Saber?
68. Saber.png

Image by Artix Artix

Saber is the most well-known character in the Nasuverse and (quite literally) the face of the Fate series.
Her true identity is that of King Arthur, regarded as a man by history, her True Name is Arturia/Artoria/Altria, depending on the translation.
In her original appearence in the Fate/Stay Night Visual Novel, she was summoned in the Saber class for the Holy Grail War, a war where 7 Masters summon Servants(historical and mythological figures summoned as powerful familiars) to compete for the Holy Grail, said to be able to grant any wish. She is the protagonist's(Shirou Emiya) Servant and the main heroine of the Visual Novel.
Ever since then, she has made countless appearences in other Fate works.

Is Saber eligible for Smash? AKA the "answering to 'but she's an anime character'" section:

Well, first off is that, despite what her series is better known for in the West, she did debut in a game, the original Fate/Stay Night is a Visual Novel for computers and was later re-released in consoles like the PS2. Her first, and currently, only appearence in a Nintendo console is Fate/Extella, a Musou-styled game, as a "secret" unlockable character.
As such, she checks off the two universally-agreed-to requirements for Smash. Also, should you believe a Visual Novel is not a game for whatever reason, please refer to Fire Emblem the Phoenix Wright thread.

Abilities: What can Saber bring to Smash?

Despite being "yet another swordfighter" at first glance, Saber has much more up to her sleeve.
The first being her Invisible Air, which conceals her blade, making its range hard to discern.
After Invisible Air, comes her ability to release said air in bursts known as Strike Air. In Fate/Extella, she not only uses her signature stab followed by its release to create a controlled mini-tornado, but she can also use release gusts of wind independently from her blade or even make her the eye of the storm. She can also use it to propulse herself or extend her blade's range. Basically, she has some limited control over wind.

Then there are her normal skills, Instinct, Charisma and Mana Burst.
The most important skill, however, is Mana Burst, being what allows her to unleash the gusts of wind from her blade, it's a skill that allows her to absorb and release Mana in to boost her abilities.

And let's not forget her sword, the famous Excalibur, which can shoot lasers so that's cool. She also possessed other weapons in life, the Sword of the Stone, Caliburn, a frail yet powerful blade, and the Holy Lance, Rhongomyniad(just try to type that without looking it up), a divine lance that she used in her final battle against Mordred at the Battle of Cammlan.

Oh wait, but there's more: Command Seals! Three Seals that a Master possesses which can be used to give an order to a Servant. They can even make impossible feats hapoen such as teleporting a Servant due to the fact they're pure Mana, which means they can also be used to enhance a Servant's abilities temporarily. The best examples being Fate/Extella and Fate)Grand Order, in the former, Command Seals can be used to either revive a fallen Servant or use all three of them to make the Servant "fight beyond their capabilities"(which translates to an increased max HP and Musou gauge), while in the latter, it can be used to also heal, fullt charge a Servant's Noble Phantasm gauge or use the three of them to revive the entire party with their Noble Phantasms charged.

Movesets: How would her abilities translate into Smash?

Well, these are at least my personal takes on what she could do. I don't have the time now to do a full moveset, especially since I'm really bad at describing movements so I'll just leave her specials and some other stuff here. If anyone comes up with a moveset, I'll add it to this post, even if just small ideas, so feel free to share them.
Overview
Saber would be a refined yet powerful swordfighter. While she wields Excalibur in two hands, she slashes it around with the swiftness of the wind. With her many skills and Excalibur's limited wind manipulation, she makes for a nimble and quick fighter that can still deliver decisive strikes.
Her idle stance would be based off her Extella idle pose when Invisible Wind is deactivated.
For her entrance animation, she'd be summoned right out of a summoning circle as the wind blows around her.

Normals

Jab: Saber slashes her sword in a downward arc without leaving her stance, pressing the button again will make her step forward and follow up with an upwards slash
Side Tilt: with only her left hand, she slashes Exalibur horizontally in front of her.
Up Tilt: similarly to Cloud's Up Tilt, Saber slashes above her head in an arcing motion.
Down Tilt: while crouching, she performs a diagonal stab into the ground in front of her.
Dash Attack: Saber spins horizontally and does circular slash around her body, hitting opponents in front of and behind her.

Aerials

Neutral Air: Saber turns her body 90° towards or away from the camera and spins multiple times while holding her sword out in a multi-hit attack.
Forward Air: Saber slashes downwards with both hands, similarly to Cloud's FAir, though this move doesn't spike, Saber will spin and continue holding the sword out until it reaches below her as she rotates back into position.
Back Air: Saber turns upside down as she slashes her sword behind her. This
Up Air: Saber slashes above her with one hand.
Down Air: Saber stabs downwards before releasing a gust of wind out of Excalibur which will stall her in the air a bit and also spikes opponents if it connects with the sword.

Smash Attacks
Forward Smash: Saber stabs forward as her sword glows and releases a tornado out of it. The tornado is a multi hit move which autocombos out of the initial stab.
Up Smash: Saber drags her sword along the ground and slashes upwards while jumping.
Down Smash: Saber spins around in place once while slashing the ground around her.

Specials

Neutral Special - Mana Burst: Excalibur glows stronger and Saber strikes in front of her, releasing an energy beam from her sword that travels forward. This move can be charged by holding down the button, though the charge cannot be canceled or stored, much like Greninja's Water Shuriken. If used in the ground, the projectile will become bigger and stronger, and will travel alongside the ground.

Side Special - Intuition: Saber dashes forward while holding her sword behind her. Pressing the button again will have her instantly dash forward a small distance while performing a slash that will hit opponents behind her. Saber is invincible during the first few frames after pressing the button again, only becoming tangible again after crossing up the opponent. While this move is useful as a pseudo-counter and to approach opponents, it's easy to punish if missed as there's no hitbox in front of Saber and has considerable endlag. Additionally, the dash can be potentially used as a fake out due to its relatively low end lag if the sword hit isn't used.

Up Special - Rising King: Saber points her sword downwards and launches a beam out of it, propelling herself upwards in a slight diagonal angle. Pressing the button again will have her perform a slash at its apex but at the cost of halting all her momentum.

Down B - Command Seal:
Saber has 3 Command Seals per stock, which only recover after respawning, much like Wonderwing. When the button is pressed, Saber will enter a stance and a red aura will surround her,
There are 3 Commands Saber can be given, determined by how long the button is held.
Simply tapping it will give Saber a Mana Burst effect, which has an initial hitbox similar to Rebel's Guard and will slightly boost her speed in exchange for some defense and weight.
Holding it long enough to use two Seals will heal Saber for a fair amount and temporarily reduce the damage she receives. This will also remove the Mana Burst effect.
Fully charging it to use up all seals will teleport Saber in a red flash right behind the opponent, no matter where they are on the stage.

Final Smash - Excalibur, Sword of Promised Victory
Saber holds her sword above her head, it begins to glow more intensely and energy is drawn to it, as she begins to declare her Noble Phantasm's name, she brings her sword down as a giant beam of light is released out of her sword and travels forward, damaging any opponents in front of her before launching them away as a pillar of light forms where her target once stood.
"Ex...calibuuurr!"

The Other Stuff: What comes with her?

Being from a new series in Smash, she'd have to bring some stuff in with her.
Home stage: Ryuudou Temple

The Ryuudou Temple is probably the most iconic location from the original Visual Novel, while other places could certainly be used such as the Fuyuki Church, the Emiya Household or the Eizbern Castle, the Ryuudou Temple is the setting for the final battle in two out of three routes. The actual location of the battle in the stage can be different though: it can take a page from Fate/Unlimited Codes(a fighting game for the PS2) and have the fight take place in the stairway to the temple, it can be the inside of the temple, where the actual final battle takes place, or it can be in both with the perspective shifted perpendicularly so that it goes from the beginning of the stairway all the way to inside the temple. Hell, it could even be on top of the roof.
Hazards could include Assasin Kojiro and Caster Medea attacking the players during the battle, or
The Grail itself manifesting in the middle of the fight and having numerous effects.

Assist Trophy: Archer

Once summoned, Archer will stand in the stage for a few seconds, shooting down any projectiles that are used.

Music
To be added. You see, I don't have a stable internet connection at the moment and I'm also on mobile, so it's impossible to load all those Youtube videos to link the music. Don't worry though, this is my favorite part, so I'll update it with all of the goodies when I can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Add me to the supporter list. Saber is one of my favorite Fate series characters alongside her master from Fate/Zero, Kiritsugu, so I'm all in to see her as a playable character in Smash. She'd be a pretty interesting fighter by utilizing Invisible Air to conceal her sword when need be.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Seiba in Smash... with all of the other Saberfaces as alts.

>Nero alt

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
That would be something if debuting in a visual novel would count for the criteria for new Smash characters the dev uses.

D

Deleted member

That would be something if debuting in a visual novel would count for the criteria for new Smash characters the dev uses.
I feel honored that your first post in two years is on my thread, you're the negativity I was expecting for.

D

Deleted member

I want to support her, but I wish I knew her more about FATE.
Either way, nice move-set and all! I appreciate the effort! :)
She would be a fine pick in Smash in Switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
I feel honored that your first post in two years is on my thread, you're the negativity I was expecting for.
Whoa, really? You remember me? Sorry if that was too much of a downer, I'm just a bit skeptical about PC visual novels being considered by Sakurai, but what do I know?

D

Deleted member

Whoa, really? You remember me? Sorry if that was too much of a downer, I'm just a bit skeptical about PC visual novels being considered by Sakurai, but what do I know?
I don't know you, I just looked into your profile to see wgat you were up to. I don't think we ever met before, actually.

But still, I'm very much aware her chances are minimal, but so are all of my most wanted characters, so I'm used to it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Ya know, when I read the name of the thread, I thought it was Cardcaptor Sakura.

And oddly enough, I had no problem with this.

D

Deleted member

Look, if you want to start a Lancer Artoria thread, then by all means do so.
But only the superior version is eligible for Smash :^)
I'll wait until Extella Link comes to Switch and make an Astolfo thread instead. :p

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Are there choices in the game that affect the story, besides choosing a character?

D

Deleted member

I finally found a moveset video of Extella so ya'll can see what the King of Knights can do
Now to look for one from Unlimited Codes

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Bumping and supporting this thread, I'm a big fan of out of left field character choices!

Last edited:

Sysmek

Smash Apprentice
I fully support the idea of Saber being Smash, she'd be a very unique character and would be entirely left field. With EXTELLA on the Switch and EXTELLA Link presumably coming after, plus with her originally coming from a Video Game, the cards have been set. Sakurai just needs to make the call to put her in Smash, it can happen. Bumping this thread

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I'd never thought that there's a thread about Saber.

Anyways, I fully supported this idea! Saber is one of my most wanted 3rd party character in Smash. Sure, she may be yet another swordfighter, but what makes her unique compare to other swordfighters is that she can make her sword invisible and it can shoot beams!

If she does appear in Ultimate, I will gladly ditch Ryu for her as my main.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
But since her Visual Novel has somewhat erotic elements in it, would she be considered for this? Sure there is slight nudity in Bayonetta but those are more like teases.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
But since her Visual Novel has somewhat erotic elements in it, would she be considered for this? Sure there is slight nudity in Bayonetta but those are more like teases.
They don't need the erotism for Saber to be properly represented, just like how they didn't need to bring drugs in Smash to have Snake.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What Uni said. The eroge scenes are also so separated and disconnected from everything else they were cut entirely on future rereleases and the series never touched the idea ever again

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I don't want to burst anyone's bubbles or anything, but isn't this character kind of like asking for Goku? Mostly seeming as she made her debut in a visual novel in 2004, which later got a anime, anime movies, mangas, and light novel additions to the series and wouldn't get a video game entry till 2008 and she also didn't debut in a video game either, which is like the one actual rule we know for absolute fact exists when Sakurai decides on newcomers.

Edit: Ignore this, I forgot visual novels were considered games for a second.

Last edited:

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Technically, visual novel still counts as a video game, so she is eligible to enter, unlike Goku.

I mean, just look at the Ace Attorney series, which is a visual novel, like Fate. Hell, many people even requested Phoenix Wright to be in the game.

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
You know what, I fully support Saber in Smash!

With the release of Fate/Extella on Switch, I'd say she has a chance to get in. Now, I begin to wonder what her alternate costumes be like...

I'm guessing she will have Mysterious Heroine X and Saber Lily costumes, kinda like how Mario has both the Wedding Tux and the Builder costumes in Ultimate.

Top Bottom