"With this Command Seal, I order you to join Smash, Saber!" - Saber Artoria for Smash Support Thread

Shishœ

Master of the World Tree
3DS FC
0018-4498-1775
download16bce8f7_mulated_2f0_2fDownload_2ftheVideoGameGallery_32600_3320x4446.png

True Name: Artoria Pendragon
Class: Saber
Noble Phantasm: Excalibur

Introduction: Who is Saber?
68. Saber.png

Image by Artix Artix

Saber is the most well-known character in the Nasuverse and (quite literally) the face of the Fate series.
Her true identity is that of King Arthur, regarded as a man by history, her True Name is Arturia/Artoria/Altria, depending on the translation.
In her original appearence in the Fate/Stay Night Visual Novel, she was summoned in the Saber class for the Holy Grail War, a war where 7 Masters summon Servants(historical and mythological figures summoned as powerful familiars) to compete for the Holy Grail, said to be able to grant any wish. She is the protagonist's(Shirou Emiya) Servant and the main heroine of the Visual Novel.
Ever since then, she has made countless appearences in other Fate works.

Is Saber eligible for Smash? AKA the "answering to 'but she's an anime character'" section:

Well, first off is that, despite what her series is better known for in the West, she did debut in a game, the original Fate/Stay Night is a Visual Novel for computers and was later re-released in consoles like the PS2. Her first, and currently, only appearence in a Nintendo console is Fate/Extella, a Musou-styled game, as a "secret" unlockable character.
As such, she checks off the two universally-agreed-to requirements for Smash. Also, should you believe a Visual Novel is not a game for whatever reason, please refer to Fire Emblem the Phoenix Wright thread.

Abilities: What can Saber bring to Smash?

Despite being "yet another swordfighter" at first glance, Saber has much more up to her sleeve.
The first being her Invisible Air, which conceals her blade, making its range hard to discern.
After Invisible Air, comes her ability to release said air in bursts known as Strike Air. In Fate/Extella, she not only uses her signature stab followed by its release to create a controlled mini-tornado, but she can also use release gusts of wind independently from her blade or even make her the eye of the storm. She can also use it to propulse herself or extend her blade's range. Basically, she has some limited control over wind.

Then there are her normal skills, Instinct, Charisma and Mana Burst.
The most important skill, however, is Mana Burst, being what allows her to unleash the gusts of wind from her blade, it's a skill that allows her to absorb and release Mana in to boost her abilities.

And let's not forget her sword, the famous Excalibur, which can shoot lasers so that's cool. She also possessed other weapons in life, the Sword of the Stone, Caliburn, a frail yet powerful blade, and the Holy Lance, Rhongomyniad(just try to type that without looking it up), a divine lance that she used in her final battle against Mordred at the Battle of Cammlan.

Oh wait, but there's more: Command Seals! Three Seals that a Master possesses which can be used to give an order to a Servant. They can even make impossible feats hapoen such as teleporting a Servant due to the fact they're pure Mana, which means they can also be used to enhance a Servant's abilities temporarily. The best examples being Fate/Extella and Fate)Grand Order, in the former, Command Seals can be used to either revive a fallen Servant or use all three of them to make the Servant "fight beyond their capabilities"(which translates to an increased max HP and Musou gauge), while in the latter, it can be used to also heal, fullt charge a Servant's Noble Phantasm gauge or use the three of them to revive the entire party with their Noble Phantasms charged.

Movesets: How would her abilities translate into Smash?

Well, these are at least my personal takes on what she could do. I don't have the time now to do a full moveset, especially since I'm really bad at describing movements so I'll just leave her specials and some other stuff here. If anyone comes up with a moveset, I'll add it to this post, even if just small ideas, so feel free to share them.
Unique Properties: Invisible Air-At 0%, Saber's blade is completely hidden, but damaging her will make it consistently more visible. At 30%, the blades fully reveals itself.

Neutral Special: Command Seal-Gives Saber an order. Pressing the button once will heal her and spend on Seal, pressing the button twice will slightly raise her attack temporarily and spend two Seals, pressing three times will teleport her back to the last spot she touched the ground but spend all 3 Command Seals. Seals slowly regenerate at a pace of one every 20 seconds.

Side Special: Strike Air Cyclone-Saber slashes her sword upwards from below her shoulder, creating a tornado that slowly moves forward while pushing away opponents.

Up Special: Strike Air Propulsion-Saber points her sword below her and unleashes a gust of wind, launching her upwards. The gust of wind is a windbox and will push away opponents.

Down Special: Mana Burst-Releases her armor, creating a small explosion around her. Without her armor, her attack and defenses are lowered, but her speed and mobility are increased and she becomes floatier. While without her armor, she may use this move to charge it back up.

Final Smash: Excalibur

Saber raises Excalibur above her head, charging it as a beam of light emanates from it, after that, she releases a powerful beam across the stage, constantly hitting trapped players in the beam like with Daybreak, until they are dragged into a pillar of light and launched away.

The Other Stuff: What comes with her?

Being from a new series in Smash, she'd have to bring some stuff in with her.
Home stage: Ryuudou Temple

The Ryuudou Temple is probably the most iconic location from the original Visual Novel, while other places could certainly be used such as the Fuyuki Church, the Emiya Household or the Eizbern Castle, the Ryuudou Temple is the setting for the final battle in two out of three routes. The actual location of the battle in the stage can be different though: it can take a page from Fate/Unlimited Codes(a fighting game for the PS2) and have the fight take place in the stairway to the temple, it can be the inside of the temple, where the actual final battle takes place, or it can be in both with the perspective shifted perpendicularly so that it goes from the beginning of the stairway all the way to inside the temple. Hell, it could even be on top of the roof.
Hazards could include Assasin Kojiro and Caster Medea attacking the players during the battle, or
The Grail itself manifesting in the middle of the fight and having numerous effects.

Assist Trophy: Archer

Once summoned, Archer will stand in the stage for a few seconds, shooting down any projectiles that are used.

Music
To be added. You see, I don't have a stable internet connection at the moment and I'm also on mobile, so it's impossible to load all those Youtube videos to link the music. Don't worry though, this is my favorite part, so I'll update it with all of the goodies when I can.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Master
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
NNID
Erureido
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Add me to the supporter list. Saber is one of my favorite Fate series characters alongside her master from Fate/Zero, Kiritsugu, so I'm all in to see her as a playable character in Smash. She'd be a pretty interesting fighter by utilizing Invisible Air to conceal her sword when need be.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
That would be something if debuting in a visual novel would count for the criteria for new Smash characters the dev uses.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
I feel honored that your first post in two years is on my thread, you're the negativity I was expecting for.
Whoa, really? You remember me? Sorry if that was too much of a downer, I'm just a bit skeptical about PC visual novels being considered by Sakurai, but what do I know?

Shishœ

Master of the World Tree
3DS FC
0018-4498-1775
Whoa, really? You remember me? Sorry if that was too much of a downer, I'm just a bit skeptical about PC visual novels being considered by Sakurai, but what do I know?
I don't know you, I just looked into your profile to see wgat you were up to. I don't think we ever met before, actually.

But still, I'm very much aware her chances are minimal, but so are all of my most wanted characters, so I'm used to it.

3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
NNID
NapoleonPlays
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Ya know, when I read the name of the thread, I thought it was Cardcaptor Sakura.

And oddly enough, I had no problem with this.

Shishœ

Master of the World Tree
3DS FC
0018-4498-1775
Are there choices in the game that affect the story, besides choosing a character?
Yes, not only does it diverge into three main routes, but there are a lot of choices, while they mostly converge back into the main path of the route, others lead to dead ends or a different ending.
Warning: big *** flowchart with spoilers
https://m.imgur.com/t/spoilers/M5iUosY

Shishœ

Master of the World Tree
3DS FC
0018-4498-1775
I finally found a moveset video of Extella so ya'll can see what the King of Knights can do
Now to look for one from Unlimited Codes

Sysmek

Smash Cadet
I fully support the idea of Saber being Smash, she'd be a very unique character and would be entirely left field. With EXTELLA on the Switch and EXTELLA Link presumably coming after, plus with her originally coming from a Video Game, the cards have been set. Sakurai just needs to make the call to put her in Smash, it can happen. Bumping this thread

Artix

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I'd never thought that there's a thread about Saber.

Anyways, I fully supported this idea! Saber is one of my most wanted 3rd party character in Smash. Sure, she may be yet another swordfighter, but what makes her unique compare to other swordfighters is that she can make her sword invisible and it can shoot beams!

If she does appear in Ultimate, I will gladly ditch Ryu for her as my main.

But since her Visual Novel has somewhat erotic elements in it, would she be considered for this? Sure there is slight nudity in Bayonetta but those are more like teases.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
But since her Visual Novel has somewhat erotic elements in it, would she be considered for this? Sure there is slight nudity in Bayonetta but those are more like teases.
They don't need the erotism for Saber to be properly represented, just like how they didn't need to bring drugs in Smash to have Snake.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I don't want to burst anyone's bubbles or anything, but isn't this character kind of like asking for Goku? Mostly seeming as she made her debut in a visual novel in 2004, which later got a anime, anime movies, mangas, and light novel additions to the series and wouldn't get a video game entry till 2008 and she also didn't debut in a video game either, which is like the one actual rule we know for absolute fact exists when Sakurai decides on newcomers.

Edit: Ignore this, I forgot visual novels were considered games for a second.

Last edited:
You know what, I fully support Saber in Smash!

With the release of Fate/Extella on Switch, I'd say she has a chance to get in. Now, I begin to wonder what her alternate costumes be like...

I'm guessing she will have Mysterious Heroine X and Saber Lily costumes, kinda like how Mario has both the Wedding Tux and the Builder costumes in Ultimate.