• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

With My Smash Support, No Retreat - Dr. Eggman Thread

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Well I never considered him before, but if Sephiroth can get it then Eggman definitely has a shot. My only question is how would the mechs work? Eggman is already pretty tall himself. Surely he would tower over the likes of Ridley and K Rool in an actual mech in smash bros. I'm sure there's a way it could work, I'm just wondering what that is. Do y'all have any good ideas about it?
I always assumed he would sit in the Egg Mobile like Bowser Jr. with his clown cart, and each attack transforms the Egg Mobile. For example, for his nair he could use the ball and chain, his down air could have it transform into the Egg Walker for a downwards spike, his side b could be the car from Sonic 2, his down smash could be the totem poles also from Sonic 2, etc.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well I never considered him before, but if Sephiroth can get it then Eggman definitely has a shot. My only question is how would the mechs work? Eggman is already pretty tall himself. Surely he would tower over the likes of Ridley and K Rool in an actual mech in smash bros. I'm sure there's a way it could work, I'm just wondering what that is. Do y'all have any good ideas about it?
Eggman would be sitting down. Do that's half the size.

The mech legs would be bent in such a way that it wouldn't surpass his normal height.

I realised this last time I saw his SA2 render. He's not that tall.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I always assumed he would sit in the Egg Mobile like Bowser Jr. with his clown cart, and each attack transforms the Egg Mobile. For example, for his nair he could use the ball and chain, his down air could have it transform into the Egg Walker for a downwards spike, his side b could be the car from Sonic 2, his down smash could be the totem poles also from Sonic 2, etc.
That actually sounds super cool!
Eggman would be sitting down. Do that's half the size.

The mech legs would be bent in such a way that it wouldn't surpass his normal height.

I realised this last time I saw his SA2 render. He's not that tall.
So kind of like how Ridley is hunched over to fit in. Makes sense!

I'd love to see some of the bigger mechs like Egg Emperor incorporated too though. With how much they've already broken the boundaries of what smash characters can do I wonder if it could actually work to just have a character that can become giant? Like maybe he can swap out his mechs and some of them are gigantic. Though I don't know how that would work on some of the stages.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I realize there's a bit of a size difference between Eggman's classic and modern designs, but something like his Sonic the Fighters incarnation might work.

The arms/legs could transform into various other devices to mimic his numerous boss battles throughout the series.

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I'am so down with Dr.Eggman in Smash Ultimate. I love the Sonic Series it needs more love also more villains. Dr.Eggman is a big video game villain name close to Bowser and Sephiroth. Actually Dr.Eggman was first before Serphiroth. I mean c mon if we could get Serphiroth Dr.Eggman should happen as well.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say, if Eggman isn't getting in this game, it's important for him to get as much fan backing as possible for next time.

I realize there's a bit of a size difference between Eggman's classic and modern designs, but something like his Sonic the Fighters incarnation might work.

The arms/legs could transform into various other devices to mimic his numerous boss battles throughout the series.
I can dig that. I mean, Sak still continues to reference fighting game appearances, seeing as his version of Northern Crater was inspired by Dissidia and all.

Doctor Marc

Smash Rookie

I can see a smaller version of Big Arms working plus it has the hands which allows him to use items as well

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
I always assumed it would be of similar height to his SA2 model, which would be fine in Smash.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I will say, if Eggman isn't getting in this game, it's important for him to get as much fan backing as possible for next time.
Yeah, with Eggman finally gaining traction thanks to Seph's inclusion, I hope to see fan demand for him grow and grow from here on out! Feels a little bit like we're beginning to be like Ridley and K Rool fans in Smash 4. There's a good chance we won't see him in Ultimate, but if we keep the pace up, he'll have a strong case for base roster of the next game :)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, with Eggman finally gaining traction thanks to Seph's inclusion, I hope to see fan demand for him grow and grow from here on out! Feels a little bit like we're beginning to be like Ridley and K Rool fans in Smash 4. There's a good chance we won't see him in Ultimate, but if we keep the pace up, he'll have a strong case for base roster of the next game :)
I mean, I think it's not a big deal if Eggman misses out in Ultimate as thinking he had a chance before Sephiroth broke the non Echo secondary 3rd party barrier seemed like a pipedream. It's a living in a dream now to think he actually has a chance because the thought of that before Sephiroth was almost zero. Eggman is inevitable for Smash in due time.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I mean, I think it's not a big deal if Eggman misses out in Ultimate as thinking he had a chance before Sephiroth broke the non Echo secondary 3rd party barrier seemed like a pipedream. It's a living in a dream now to think he actually has a chance because the thought of that before Sephiroth was almost zero. Eggman is inevitable for Smash in due time.
Yeah, it gives us more hope for characters that we previously perceived as low chance. And it's a nice feeling for fan rules to be broken.

My personal top ten for that would be Raiden, Eggman, Tails, Zero (AT promotion), Chun-Li, Akuma, Terra, Kefka, Alucard (AT promotion), and Demi-fiend.

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
The problem is this: We are stuck between having Dr. Eggman use eggmobile, which is a motif that is already taken, potentially limiting the excitement, giant-style trepidation factor, copious number of options, and power his moveset could have if he used a selection of his mechs across different moves ;and forcing Eggman to fight on foot, and he is famous for not being able to do that.

So my proposition circumvents all of that: Eggman starts on foot, like everyone else. And he is at a major deficit. He has no attacks, and cannot dodge or grab. Basic stats are of the egg-custard-everyday-for-breakfast-lunch-and-dinner kind. Where he lacks ( no... disgraces himself ) in the hand-to-hand or foot-to-land department, he makes up for by being able to fly off the screen momentarily with eggmobile using his specials, only to return with a giant, flinch resistant machine, which would include egg hawk, etc. depending on the directional input. The object is then to damage the machine enough so it explodes and launches Eggman, or attack the cockpit for more damage to force Eggman to eject with shield input, in which case he cannot spawn that machine or any other again for the stock, and can reenter at any time.

I know that is a bit much, but I want him to have as many options as possible.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
The problem is this: We are stuck between having Dr. Eggman use eggmobile, which is a motif that is already taken, potentially limiting the excitement, giant-style trepidation factor, copious number of options, and power his moveset could have if he used a selection of his mechs across different moves ;and forcing Eggman to fight on foot, and he is famous for not being able to do that.

So my proposition circumvents all of that: Eggman starts on foot, like everyone else. And he is at a major deficit. He has no attacks, and cannot dodge or grab. Basic stats are of the egg-custard-everyday-for-breakfast-lunch-and-dinner kind. Where he lacks ( no... disgraces himself ) in the hand-to-hand or foot-to-land department, he makes up for by being able to fly off the screen momentarily with eggmobile using his specials, only to return with a giant, flinch resistant machine, which would include egg hawk, etc. depending on the directional input. The object is then to damage the machine enough so it explodes and launches Eggman, or attack the cockpit for more damage to force Eggman to eject with shield input, in which case he cannot spawn that machine or any other again for the stock, and can reenter at any time.

I know that is a bit much, but I want him to have as many options as possible.
I don't think Bowser Jr makes Eggman in his mech less exciting whatsoever. Two characters who mostly stay in a vehicle is hardly too many. And what about the people that like that aspect about Bowser Jr? They'd probably get excited to have a second character with that slight similarity.

I see it as Ice Climbers and Rosalina and Luma. Do they have a small similarity in both being "puppet" fighters where the secondary character can hit you while the primary one is away? Sure, but apart from that, and the fact that you can perform desyncs with them, those are the only similarities and the rest is very, very different.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
We already have two Ninjas on the roster and people think Hayabusa may show up and yet I don't hear anyone complaining. So I think a second vehicle based character wouldn't be a problem.
We need more mech fighters. I would love to see Porky, Eggman, and Tron Bonne all get in someday.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think Bowser Jr makes Eggman in his mech less exciting whatsoever. Two characters who mostly stay in a vehicle is hardly too many. And what about the people that like that aspect about Bowser Jr? They'd probably get excited to have a second character with that slight similarity.

I see it as Ice Climbers and Rosalina and Luma. Do they have a small similarity in both being "puppet" fighters where the secondary character can hit you while the primary one is away? Sure, but apart from that, and the fact that you can perform desyncs with them, those are the only similarities and the rest is very, very different.
That's pretty much how I feel about the possibility of Amy getting in. Sure, she might not be that appealing to some people, but we'd get another pure hammer user besides King Dedede (a heavyweight with emphasis on wind-ups) and the aforementioned Ice Climbers ("puppet" team), and she would still feel different from them!

We already have two Ninjas on the roster and people think Hayabusa may show up and yet I don't hear anyone complaining. So I think a second vehicle based character wouldn't be a problem.
It helps that he can actually be called a traditional ninja, while the others are more "heavily inspired by". :ultsheik::ultgreninja:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Tron Bonne

Wait a minute, remember that old 4chan rumor of a female mech character?
Yep. But that was obliviously a troll post as the leaker said something about a monkey and some boots which was referencing Boots the monkey from Dora the Explorer. It was obliviously fake and had nothing to do with Tron Bonne.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace

We need more mech fighters. I would love to see Porky, Eggman, and Tron Bonne all get in someday.
That's pretty much how I feel about the possibility of Amy getting in. Sure, she might not be that appealing to some people, but we'd get another pure hammer user besides King Dedede (a heavyweight with emphasis on wind-ups) and the aforementioned Ice Climbers ("puppet" team), and she would still feel different from them!

It helps that he can actually be called a traditional ninja, while the others are more "heavily inspired by". :ultsheik::ultgreninja:
All good points... I am convinced. I suppose it would have something of an archetypal appeal. I want Dr. Eggman to have a more than satisfying range of canonical attacks using giant machines that tank in battle, but even I enjoyed considering in Brawl how there were definite fighting theme classes.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Yep. But that was obliviously a troll post as the leaker said something about a monkey and some boots which was referencing Boots the monkey from Dora the Explorer. It was obliviously fake and had nothing to do with Tron Bonne.
I never saw the post about the monkey but I was being facetious anyway.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I was checking out a thread on another message board and I'd though I would share my thoughts here. First, I'd be interesting to see classic Eggman AKA Robotnik be playable.

Remembe how Dr. Wily was in a suit for Mega Man Soccer? I was thinking something for Eggman for this. Start with the Death Egg Robot from Sonic 2 and scale it down but give the mech a clear helmet so we can see his face. Then make slight modifications for Smash purposes like give the suit hands. He can have the spiked hands for Smash attacks.

Final Smash could be panels opening up in the suits back to launch giant missiles which then crash into the opponents.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
We already have Bowser Jr in a vehicle far less iconic than the Eggpod that does not have legs. Nobody will seriously suggest that they could not be differentiated if Eggman used the eggpod with his nearly limitless moveset potential. I don't see why people insist that his mech must be the legged version from Sonic Adventure 2/Sonic the Fighters. The Eggpod would work perfectly fine, and is the much more iconic vehicle. In addition, I think there would be issues with Eggman's size if his vehicle has legs, where Eggman himself would look too small when he's squishy inside of a mech that's big enough to be a playable character by itself.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Add me to the list! By the way, I finally have an idea. What if every time he loses a stock, he appears in another mech? Them and their moves would be carefully selected to give him a fairly consistent play style that would indubitably involve withstanding flinch, overpowering reckless approaches, ranged attacks, flight (especially with Egg Hawk), and cautious movement. Each mech has various weak points that may be exploited to cause extensive damage. landing a K.O. on Eggman requires destroying the mech such that he is ejected and a near sitting duck for the opponent to finish off. He has an unprecedented gameplay deviation, but who would not sacrafice a little to cram him into Smash Bros (besides Sonic)?

Top Bottom