• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

With My Smash Support, No Retreat - Dr. Eggman Thread

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Look who's turned into a big-time villain, Doctor. Now that's what I call a big boon for the good ol' Egg. Or should I say, the rotten egg.

Let's formulate a Challenger Pack for the guy! No Mii Costumes here, I don't want to think about that.

Challenger Pack X: Doctor Eggman - Sonic the Hedgehog

I'm not interested in making a moveset for him, but there's lots of potential. He fights in his mech so that Sonic can still lie about being the fastest I mean, so that Eggman's moveset can be more inspired by what he is known for. Whether the Death Egg Robot or Eclipse Cannon is his Final Smash is up to you, though Ridley, K. Rool and Sephiroth all have cinematics so I'd go with Eclipse Cannon myself.

Stage: Eggmanland

Yes, the self-aggrandizing, brutal carnival stage from Sonic Unleased would be Eggman's home stage. Why there? Because it's the perfect monument to everything he has wanted to do from the start of the franchise, and because it is perhaps the most infamous stage in the series besides Green Hill. Also because we don't have a carnival stage in Smash yet, and that would be helpful for future proofing characters from carnies. Layout and gimmicks I am not concerned with.

Spirits are tricky, since Sonic already has a bunch and no standout missing candidates, but let's see what we can do. Notable Sonic characters without Spirits: Mighty, Ray, Nack, Elise, Tikal, Chip, Maria, Emerl/Gemerl. Some (Maria, Emerl) would make sense as part of an Eggman pack, most wouldn't.

Here's 15 music tracks that would fit Eggman. In addition to Eggmanland, these songs would be present for Green Hill Zone and Windy Hill Zone as well.
  1. Sonic Boss Medley (Sonic 1, 2, 3 boss themes in order) - New Arrangement
  2. Final Battle (Sonic 2) - From Sonic Generations
  3. Final Battle (Sonic 3) - From Sonic Generations
  4. Doomsday Zone - New Arrangement
  5. Stardust Speedway (Bad Future) [Sonic CD, Japan] - From Sonic Generations
    1. It'd be really cool if, in any Eastern Language (Japanese, Chinese, Korean), Metal Sonic's Spirit Battle theme was changed to this.
  6. Stardust Speedway (Bad Future) [Sonic CD, US] - From Sonic Forces
    1. Same, but with Western Languages.
  7. Crank the Heat Up!!... for Final Egg (Sonic Adventure)
  8. E.G.G.M.A.N (Sonic Adventure 2)
    1. This would me Eggman's Main Theme, the one used in his reveal trailer and credits.
  9. Soarin' Over the Space (Cosmic Wall) [Sonic Adventure 2]
  10. Vs. Egg Emperor (Sonic Heroes)
  11. Eggman Battle (Sonic 06)
  12. Boss Battle (Day) (Sonic Unleashed)
  13. Eggmanland (Day) [Sonic Unleashed]
  14. Ruby Illusions (Sonic Mania)
  15. Egg Reverie (Sonic Mania)
Awesome selection. I would have tossed in Metallic Madness or Metropolis Zone myself but your selection is on point.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So something somewhat minor or important caught my attention in thought just now and that's the villains in general in Ultimate. All the big Nintendo villains are playable, Ganon is a boss, Dracula is a boss and Dr. Wily is an Assist Trophy. Now you may ask, where am I going with this? Well, we had this whole iconic villains lineup in the base game in physical form in these different roles yet the most iconic villains Sephiroth and Dr. Eggman didn't get the same treatment that is until Sephiroth was announced last night. Could this mean Dr. Eggman is coming? Not really, but I think it's food for thought to throw out there since if he isn't going to be playable why leave him out of WoL? He would have made a bad*** boss.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Man, I hate having to Admit it, Because I want Shadow above all else

But I think Eggman now rarely has anything in his way, if anything at all. Here's all the Merits

-Among the Most Iconic villain in Gaming. Probably even more Iconic than Sephiroth, who was just Added. Even people not into Video games know who he is
-Sonic as Franchise not only Iconic, but also Relevant with the movie, Mobile Games, etc
-Sonic's 30th Anniversary is coming Next June I Believe. This shows that Sonic will be Very Relevant around that time (along with 2020 with the movie) and This would play into Nintendo Decisions
-Eggman has made Appearances in all Sonic Media except for Black Knight. This includes the Movie which has gone on to be the most successful Video Game movie
-We don't have any Evil Doctor type characters in Smash as Playable, and we barely have Mech Characters
-Eggman was among the only Sonic character to have a 4 Star Spirit, the others being Super Sonic and Super Shadow
-Eggman has alot of Personality
-Sonic has been the most Requested 3rd party franchise to get a 2nd Character, and Sonic Characters like Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and Eggman have been very Requested characters for like a Decade now
-He's not a Controversial Character at all. Most love him, Unlike a Character like Shadow who is Very Controversial.

The Only Thing I think could stop Eggman at this point is

-If Making a Concrete Moveset proves very Difficult. He has alot of Mechs, and Alot of them are very Big, which fit Eggman's Bombastic, Over the top Nature.
-If Another Sonic Character is chosen. However In alot of Areas, Eggman might have the competition beat
-If Eggman gets Out Prioritized (but that could apply to any character)

good Luck guys I guess. Got another year or so to hope and such

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh woah, seems Sephiroth's addition drummed up a lot of support! Welcome, and let's hope we see Eggman in Smash!
looks that way I mean sephiroth and min min killed the only roadblocks left for him to be playable

plus look at the post right above yours if not here tails and eggman are in the S tier level of likely hood for smash 6

Last edited:

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
Imagine if at the end of the Sephiroth presentation, Sakurai says there are now quite a few famous video game villains in this game, and he wonders which other famous ones are still missing and if they will be joining.

Your reaction?

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Wanted to show you guys from the Social Thread 2.0:
3qgb8g (1).jpg

What each of them do:
-Neutral: Eggman swings the wrecking ball around pretty fast before sending it flying.
-Side: Eggman readies his mini-gun as he fires lots of bullets, can move around.
-Up: Eggman floats upwards with rocket boosters and orbs that spin around hitting fighters.
-Down: Eggman slams the hammer on the ground creating shock waves or burying fighters.

Final Smash:
The opponents crash land on the Moon as the Space Ark's Eclipse Cannon fires a massive blue laser at the large natural satellite causing it to explode with a massive chunk blown off, the fighters are instantly launched to the Blast Zone.

Also his outfit and from the Sonic would be a cool alt costume. (Eggmobile would have the hover ring things.)

(Any of you get the reference to a certain fan dub of Sonic Adventure 2?)

Edit: You can actually reflect the wrecking ball back at him.
(Use K. Rool's Gut Check or anyone who has a counter.)

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
The good news is that Eggman is now undoubtedly a strong candidate from this point onwards. The bad news is, they'll need to have made space for him at the same time as Sephiroth for him to get into FP2, and if his next chance is in the next Smash game, he'll be contending with a hell of a lot of veterans. On the other hand, there's no reason to believe that Sephiroth will be the only double-dip.

Regardless of what happens, I'm cool with this idea now.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Some good news, guys. Despite Tails and Shadow having significantly higher post counts for their threads on this forum (Knuckles' thread is 3 pages long and dead), I found a place where Eggman is polling ahead of Tails and Shadow.

globalsmashroster.com

Ok that’s cool and all but why the hell does Vanilla have twenty votes? Like it’s not a lot but still, why?

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Some good news, guys. Despite Tails and Shadow having significantly higher post counts for their threads on this forum (Knuckles' thread is 3 pages long and dead), I found a place where Eggman is polling ahead of Tails and Shadow.

globalsmashroster.com

So people are actually supporting Crabmeat?

shifts eyes back and forth

Sign me up for that

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

globalsmashroster.com

Even though this doesn't affect things, I'm happy to see all my Sonic wants in the top row.

I can't for the life of me see what Froggy would contribute if Frogger got in before him.

The good news is that Eggman is now undoubtedly a strong candidate from this point onwards. The bad news is, they'll need to have made space for him at the same time as Sephiroth for him to get into FP2, and if his next chance is in the next Smash game, he'll be contending with a hell of a lot of veterans. On the other hand, there's no reason to believe that Sephiroth will be the only double-dip.

Regardless of what happens, I'm cool with this idea now.
I've been pretty much committed for the long game for a while, so at least :ultsephiroth:'s inclusion should encourage the Sonic fanbase to finally get its act together and rally behind a few characters, like Tails and Eggman.

Don't care if I have to wait for Smash 6, I'll see this to the end.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Put me in the support list, I 100% support the good doctor, and after Sephiroth showed that franchises can double dip in playable fighters I'm hoping that Eggman is one of the DLC characters.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Well, myself, @Blackmage Kuja , Spatulo Spatulo , Smashoperatingbuddy123 Smashoperatingbuddy123 and AreJay25 AreJay25 have not been added to the list yet, and the thread's creator, Bule_Edge_Sword has apparently not been here since April 7 of this year. Maybe a mod like Megadoomer Megadoomer could add us onto the list instead?
I updated the intro. Also, I find it kind of funny that every villain that's mentioned in the intro (aside from Eggman himself, at least at the moment) is now in Smash, seeing as the intro was presumably written back in 2017.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Stupid question, but do you guys think Dr. Eggman would get in before Tails? Both are equally important and iconic in my opinion, but Eggman did debut first so maybe he should go first. I honestly would be happy if either of them went first.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Stupid question, but do you guys think Dr. Eggman would get in before Tails? Both are equally important and iconic in my opinion, but Eggman did debut first so maybe he should go first. I honestly would be happy if either of them went first.
Probably yeah. Though at this rate, they may get in the same game when 6 rolls around, so who knows.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So, what would you guys do to make Eggman pop move set wise? I am trying to come up with a cool move set that has that extra bit of dlc spice.

QQS

Smash Lord
This guy has a lot of chances IMO and would be epic to see him back + another epic famous villain. If you ask me, I love more Knuckles or Tails in the franchise as a second rep, but I think if there is someone who will join the battle in this franchise, it’s Eggman.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I’m curious to what Dr. Eggman’s spirit board would be. The sonic series already has a huge amount of character spirts in the game.

My personal thought would be if they make Eggman “classic”eggman, his spirit board could be all Classic Sonic stuff.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I’m curious to what Dr. Eggman’s spirit board would be. The sonic series already has a huge amount of character spirts in the game.

My personal thought would be if they make Eggman “classic”eggman, his spirit board could be all Classic Sonic stuff.
probably his inventions and minions if not already there

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

Yeah I could see one with like the classic Badniks and some of his boss weapons

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
There are also a bunch of bosses that I believe aren't Spirits already such as the Biolizard and Dark Gaia. They can definitely make it work.

Besides, I believe Min Min's Spirit Board also reused Spirits that were in the base game.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Guess it all comes down to if Nintendo wanted Him and is Sakurai thinks he can do it (or likes him, I’m not sure if He likes the sonic series)

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Absolutely he should. Dr. Eggman has been there since the beginning like Sonic has. Though I wouldn't complain if Tails, Knuckles, or Shadow got in before him. I do believe that the chances of Tails and Knuckles getting in this game as playable are pretty slim as they both have the full Mii costume in the game. It makes me happy to see a lot more support shown towards the good doctor on Twitter and here.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team

They probably wouldn't make him Classic so I wouldn't count on it. They're both the same character anyways, might as well use the more popular and prominent design.
Here's my ideas for his Spirit Board.
-Maria Robotnik
-Gerald Robotnik
-Motobug
-Egg Pawn
-Mecha Sonic
-Death Egg
-Death Egg Robo
-Egg Walker
And they could probably reuse some of the other Sonic spirits as well.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Speaking of which, was Metal Sonic or Mecha Sonic a Spirits in base game? I don't remember. P.S. I'm not getting them confused as I know they're two different robots in case anyone is thinking otherwise.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Speaking of which, was Metal Sonic or Mecha Sonic a Spirits in base game? I don't remember. P.S. I'm not getting them confused as I know they're two different robots in case anyone is thinking otherwise.
Metal was the first spirit you got after going the top path at the beginning of WoL. Mehca isn't a spirit, he's probably too minor of a character to be one in the base game.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So, what would you guys do to make Eggman pop move set wise? I am trying to come up with a cool move set that has that extra bit of dlc spice.
If Eggman uses the Eggmobile for his moveset, here's what I'd envision. Basically Eggman doesn't have mulitple jumps, but if you hold the jump button he hovers, and you can move the control stick in any direction to move around freely, at about the speed of Peach's hover. There's a fuel gauge though like ROB's up b, and you need to stay grounded to refuel-which is risky as Eggman's ground game isn't the best. I have more ideas for his moveset but this is something he could have that would really make him stand out against the other DLC characters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You could have simply looked it up here: https://smashultimatespirits.com/details.php?id=775

I imagine that they would shunt in the Sonic spirits that are already there (like with :ultminmin) and add a few extras like the Hard Boiled Heavies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well I hate to say it, but I'm here cause Sephiroth's inclusion only made the good Doctor's absence all the more noticeable.

I admit that I preferred another speedy character to be the 2nd Sonic rep (especially Metal).
But.. "circumstances have changed".

I'd be very excited for Eggman to join!
I can say that at this point, any Since character would make me equally happy.

Moves:

Eggman would ride his SA2 mech, as much as I hate it, it would fit perfectly!

Gimmick: Like Peach, if you hold the jump button, he'll hover, although unlike Peach, he'll just fall slowly, and you don't run out of it.

B: Lock-On Missile
(Laser aims, and on contact with target, releases a Missile that homes at it. The longer you have a Target locked on, it adds up to 3 missiles its way. You can also lock on 3 different opponents, just as long as it doesn't go above 3.)

Down B: Spike bomb
A staple from the series, the Spike bomb detonates on contact or after 5 seconds.
Eggman drops this on the groundz and it deals moderate damage to opponents.

Side B: Drive Mode
A combination of Gamma's drive mode with the Eggmobile drill. Functions similar to Wario's bike, only it's a multihit move across the as stage.

Up B: Spring Jump
Another commonly used attack, usually in 2D games, Eggman's mech will sprout a spring from the bottom causing him to soar way up and crash land, causing a small earthquake.

You can fiercely land if you keep pressing, or cancel it midway through to land however you please.

Obviously an Eggman Nega alt would be really appreciated.

As for the trailer, in short, I wanted something like:

Footage from Sephiroth's trailer is seen through a monitor. A subtle chuckle echoes in the dark.
Then Galleem is split in two.
"What??? How could this be?!"

A pair of white gloves pick up the monitor and brings it towards the speaker's face. Huge mustaches can be seen from the sides of the monitor.

"I had them on their knees!! How dare he!
Well, no matter, I'll just finish this myself."

Monitor is tossed to a wall, breaking apart.
A pod then carries this shadowy figure to a slightly bigger mech.

Lights turn on, and Eggman is revealed in his SA2 mech.

"It's time for the rise of the Eggman empire!"

(Banner)

Top Bottom