• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

With My Smash Support, No Retreat - Dr. Eggman Thread

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This is the worst thing that could happen, I don't think Sakurai would do this.
Agreed; I don't think anybody wants another Falcondorf situation. It's taken FOUR GAMES for Ganondorf to feel closer to his canonical self, and even then, there's still some key elements missing.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Agreed; I don't think anybody wants another Falcondorf situation. It's taken FOUR GAMES for Ganondorf to feel closer to his canonical self, and even then, there's still some key elements missing.
For one obviously his magic, don't know why they're so afraid to do it when they did almost a total revamp for Pit from Brawl to 4.

It'd also be an excuse to get an F-Zero echo of Falcon.

But uh... that aside I agree on same series Echo fighters only, it'd be too much of a mess a a tad offputtimg to see someone like idk... Giygas next to Mewtwo or as what sparked this conversation said: Dr. Eggman next to Bowser Jr. since that's how Echo fighters are on the CSS without merging them and their OG fighter into one slot.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Exactly. Introducing main characters as echo fighters is a huge mistake. Because we all know "Sakurai doesn't want to upset anybody who's grown attached to Ganondorf's Falcon clone moveset" and mistakes can never be corrected in this series, once you're in as a clone, you're a clone forever. We absolutely MUST leave all the problems of the previous games with every entry going forward, BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT TO UPSET ANYBODY WHO'S USED TO THESE MISTAKES.

Sakurai's development methods are completely backwards. I wouldn't put it past him to make Eggman a Bowser Jr. clone in some way because he might actually do it. There isn't any other fighting game developer on Earth who would do the things he does without being nailed to a wall for it.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Let's rally for him Shadow's not in so if we're getting a Sonic character at this point I see Eggman and or Tails being very likely.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Assuming spirits of nom-fighters deconfirm people, Dr. Eggman is the only main cast member that's viable for a spot on the roster, if it doesn't however... I think his chances may have sky rocketed.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Assuming spirits of nom-fighters deconfirm people, Dr. Eggman is the only main cast member that's viable for a spot on the roster, if it doesn't however... I think his chances may have sky rocketed.
Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 1.20.37 AM.png

Eggman's on the very button for Spirits on the website. So while it may not be a huge indicator of everything as things would be really limited if Spirit characters really couldn't become fighters (Albeit DLC itself will be pretty limited even if there is more then the one fighter pass). Eggman's in the same position as all the other Sonic characters not named Knuckles and Shadow.

And Eggman's probably 2nd to Tails if a Sonic character does ever come (Tails still has that Mii costume that doesn't seem to have become an obvious big upgrade yet. The fact that Akira as another Sega character was upgraded to an assist when just a Mii costume in Smash 4 is kind eyebrow raising). Though to be honest, I think Sonic's going to be alone once again. Would love Tails or even Eggman if it came to it. But there's other priorities and other 3rd party franchises and/or companies may want their chance more.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I still say keep your enthusiasm up!

Why is there no fan fair for this guy?

Only four pages c'mon!

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I still say keep your enthusiasm up!

Why is there no fan fair for this guy?

Only four pages c'mon!
You're not wrong, we need more support and fan fair for Dr. Eggman, I think what would help would be youtubers showing support for him but that's rather... difficult for some reason.

Pakky

Smash Hero
You're not wrong, we need more support and fan fair for Dr. Eggman, I think what would help would be youtubers showing support for him but that's rather... difficult for some reason.
Also here's a question, but does Eggman need to be in a vehicle?

Its a popular choice based on his appearances but I think people think too literally when it comes to these sorts of things.

Eggman, for example, could just be out on his own, his clearing physically capable well beyond what would be expected of a man of his girth. Also, I'm surprised no ever seems to bring up one of the most prevalent resources in Eggman's army as part of his moveset. By that I'm referring to the 'Badnics' they have a multitude of abilities and can serve a multitude of purposes.

Have him ride on a Motor Bug, or grab someone with Grabber. Buzz Bomber or Spiny could zone with their horizontal and vertical projectiles. Sillier ones like Chopper or Crabmeat could be normal moves.

A nice visual touch would be when one is destroyed a random animal or Flicky would pop out of the smoke.

And if you NEED a mech to modify something like this, perhaps a battlesuit?

Last edited:

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
well since the final roster is up, I'm throwing in my support for Dr. Eggman for a DLC character. I was thinking for sure Shadow the Hedgehog was going to fill that rival to Sonic void, albeit being an echo fighter, but still I thought it was a FOR SURE thing. Now that he's back to assist trophy, I think Dr. Eggman is the prime Sonic candidate for DLC. While I love Tails, I feel we need all the villains we can get (Especially after the introduction of King K. with the the CRTV rival shots!)

I'd say he has to be in his Egg Mobile, similarly to Bowser Jr. but more akin to Sonic Adventure 2
Advance2_walker.jpg

but minus the turrets and guns.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Personally I think Eggman could take inspiration from all of his gadgets, badniks, mech suits, etc.

After all for most characters they take moves from across their history and not just one source.

So he could his laser pistol from SA2 and Darkbrother hood for one attack, use his jet pack from lost world as a recovery, and seeming as Lost World shows us he's physically strong his grounded neutral could be punches, his down-b could steal Metal Sonic's Black Shield and give him a absorber move, then he could take the missile launchers from those rip off Gammas from SA2 and has as a move too.

Point is: Eggman has a /lot/ of material to pull from.

PsychoJosh

Good illustrations, but I'm not sure I like the ideas for his Up+B and neutral B. They're too similar to Bowser Jr.'s attacks. I don't want anyone thinking that he's just a heavyweight clone of Junior.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Hi guys, new to the forums!

I created a Robotnik moveset (original illustrations) on my lunchbreak today:

https://imgur.com/gallery/NWuUoXM

Anyone see it working?

-Tom
Personally for his Up-B I'd change it to be something like Pit's Brawl up-b where he just starts flying with free control in the air. Though I do like the slight change to make it different from Jr's up-b by having him him run on the ground for a bit, seems like a great follow-up possibility if an opponent got blasted some distance from you and you need to catch up to them to confirm a kill or follow-up.

Don't know what psycho was saying when neutral b looks like Jr's neutral b, he isn't exactly firing a cannonball, he's throwing out badniks. I assume he meant side-b which I'd say actually differs, while Jr's hits you once while he drives into you or stops and rams into you, Eggman here seems to be going a set distance and acts like the drill item, just less OP since it doesn't seem like Eggman can just drive you into the blast zone if you get caught in the drill.

Overall I'm fine with these specials, only thing is change the up-b but I see where you were going with it and I'd be fine if that's what got in as a moveset.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Does Nintendo making the decisions on the five characters hurt us?
Well, if you're talking about Eggman or any other villain that could possibly get in, Nintendo making the decisions could slightly increase there chances. Ridley, K. Rool, and Skull Kid were the only highly requested villain reps and we got 2 of them. Every other villain has small support compared to those 3. If we getting any 3rd party villain in Ultimate, it's going to be Heihachi. Eggman is one of the most iconic villains in gaming, but he doesn't have the support and that really needs to change.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Well, if you're talking about Eggman or any other villain that could possibly get in, Nintendo making the decisions could slightly increase there chances. Ridley, K. Rool, and Skull Kid were the only highly requested villain reps and we got 2 of them. Every other villain has small support compared to those 3. If we getting any 3rd party villain in Ultimate, it's going to be Heihachi. Eggman is one of the most iconic villains in gaming, but he doesn't have the support and that really needs to change.
You're not wrong, as while Dr. Eggman is the third most wanted Sonic rep according to polls here on Smashboards, us supporters of him are really quiet rather than as vocal and loud as we probably should be. Plus there's the factor not a lot of smash youtubers have him in their top tens or anything, maybe top twenty, but not the so he does get that youtubers and fans of said youtubers support like Shadow and Tails do. Probably doesn't help there's a good vocal chunk of the sonic community that are furries (as I think we all know if we checked some places where art is popularly posted), as they completely ignore his existence since he isn't an animal, even though he's a /very/ important part of the series.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
I'm unfortunately not as big of a Sonic fan as I once was. I don't find the games as fun as I did as a kid, and I think a lot of the characters are meh...
But Eggman? Well, I still like Eggman. If we had to have another Sonic rep, I'd like for it to be him.

Having him fight next to Bowser would be awesome. On another note, we need a Mario/Sonic platforming crossover.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I'm unfortunately not as big of a Sonic fan as I once was. I don't find the games as fun as I did as a kid, and I think a lot of the characters are meh...
But Eggman? Well, I still like Eggman. If we had to have another Sonic rep, I'd like for it to be him.

Having him fight next to Bowser would be awesome. On another note, we need a Mario/Sonic platforming crossover.
A sentiment on the crossover thing I think we all can agree on, sadly Miyamoto doesn't like crossover games that are the same genre as Mario, so... a platformer will never happen unless Miyamoto changes his mind or is no longer in control of the Mario IP/No longer has a say in what the series does.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I support, Eggman is the next best Sonic rep imo.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Probably my number one choice for a second Sonic rep, maybe tied with Tails. I think he could be super cool, as we don't have a mech fighter (unless you count :ultbowserjr: but I don't think he does). I definitely support Eggman for Smash.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I'm going to be the bearer of (presumably bad) news.

Joker has been confirmed. Dr. Eggman's future as DLC is extremely uncertain, and I for one consider him almost disconfirmed.

Veenon

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 2421-1779-6504
Could you add me to the supporters list please? If Eggman got in, I'd be so hype. Definitely in my top 10

NinjaSmash_414

Smash Rookie
First off, please add me to the cause. I have a huge feeling that Eggman will be one of the DLCs coming this year.

Like many on here, I think Eggman should be in his Eggmobile, but as a fighting mech similar to Tron Bone from MvC series. After seeing the size comparison video on YT (Link), you can see that Eggman without the Eggmobile would be at this size:

And we all know Eggman without a mobile is almost helpless. Eggman's ( let's call it..) Egg Brawler should be walking type, not a hover like Bowser Jr. The best design to base that off of would be the Egg Bot minions from Sonic Unleashed. Since they already look like they could be use as such.

Just need to make the bodypart look like a attachment for the original Eggmobile, and replace the arms with something like the Big ARMS from the Sonic 3's Launch Base boss, but smaller.

So if he do get something like that it would set him around this height:

This would also make Eggman probably the heaviest character on roster, but maybe not the slowest.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I've got him in my signature but I don't think I've actually asked to be on the supporter list so count me in!

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Well, let's see what the future holds in DLC. So far we got Persona 5's Joker from Sega subsidiary, Atlus.

Erfly

Smash Cadet
Always felt Eggman would be the perfect second representative for a third party, being one of the most iconic villains after all.

Personally don't see him as getting in for DLC, but I'd be incredibly happy to be proven wrong.

Count me in as a supporter!

Last edited:

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216
Forgive me if this comes off as rude, but I'm just trying to be real here.

The Prime Directive of Super Smash Bros has always been to celebrate Nintendo first and foremost. By that meaning, third party characters aren't really needed in Smash. I'm not saying they have no place in Smash, I'm just saying that any third party character playable in Smash is a guest. Nintendo always make it clear that they're guests. You don't just give a guest equal treatment out of the blue, that would just throw the game off the track of its prime directive.

As such, I do not believe Dr Robotnik can be playable.
I never really thought about that until now.....but we also have Ryu AND Ken, that’s two guests from one series so it’s not impossible

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I never really thought about that until now.....but we also have Ryu AND Ken, that’s two guests from one series so it’s not impossible
Don't forget Simon and Ritchter, which if you also count they're owned by Konami that's three since Snake and with Capcom it's also three with Mega-Man.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
A big difference between Ken/Richter and Eggman is that Ken and Richter are echo fighters, meaning that they don't take as much time or effort to create. We do have a precedent for third party series getting more than one character, but we're getting a Sega-owned character (Joker) through the DLC already. With only four slots left, would one of them be another Sega character?

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
A big difference between Ken/Richter and Eggman is that Ken and Richter are echo fighters, meaning that they don't take as much time or effort to create. We do have a precedent for third party series getting more than one character, but we're getting a Sega-owned character (Joker) through the DLC already. With only four slots left, would one of them be another Sega character?
Honestly that's the thing that I've been thinking. Would they really add a second SEGA character in the fighter pass? Especially if you have the same mindset as me that we'll get two more third party characters and two more first party to have an equal amount of DLC characters that are first and third party. Three first (including Piranha Plant) and three third. I do think we're going to get for third parties someone from Namco and someone from Square Enix cause they both only have one rep while others have three. First parties I'm specifically particular to Porky and Sylux due to how weird their exclusions are in general (also other factors) and I know people are trying to debunk Sylux with the Prime 4 delay but if he was chosen it'd be at a time where Prime 4 development was supposedly going smoothly and on a track and plus Sakurai's philosophy on characters these days if they're chosen for Smash they're going to get in and cannot be scrapped at a later point in time, somif Sylux is releasing he's gonna be in regardless and honestly I don't think he would have to rely on being promotion because he's a pre-established character with history already while Corrin and Roy weren't and were completely new (heck, Roy's game was supposed to release before Melee but got delayed so it released after).

Nonetheless I still want Dr. Eggman, I just think his chances are higher for next game than being DLC.

PsychoJosh

And we all know Eggman without a mobile is almost helpless. Eggman's ( let's call it..) Egg Brawler should be walking type, not a hover like Bowser Jr. The best design to base that off of would be the Egg Bot minions from Sonic Unleashed. Since they already look like they could be use as such.
I don't believe the arms are necessary. Also it wouldn't make sense for him to be without his iconic Egg-o-matic design that he's had sense the first game.

I would keep his classic armless Egg Walker design from Sonic Adventure 2, but make it more squat and lower its central body closer to the ground. Instead of arms, it has hatches on the side that opens up whenever he does an attack, making it sort of deceptive how long his range is.

1562916844960.png

For his Smash attacks, for instance, I'm thinking the hatches open up and the arms from his Big Arm configuration launchout and punch the opponent - naturally, they're HUGE hitboxes with devastating range and power, but they also have a lot of wind up.

1562917018302.png

Last edited:

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
I'd so love to see this becoming a reality.
And I have to admit, having only Sonic in Smash feels kinda lonely.
At this point, I even wish to see the Sonic the Hedgehog IP becoming second party to Nintendo, just so that more of the Sonic characters, primarly Tails and Eggman, and maybe even Amy Rose or Shadow, could join in.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I’m really interested in the idea of both Dr. Eggman and Metal Sonic being in the game, so I went ahead and made a moveset for them as a combined fighter! I designed it in a way that allowed for both to function as their own individual fighter as a separate idea, though the main one is to be a sort of Pokemon-Trainer-like fighter.

Eggman & Metal Sonic Moveset.jpg

Apologies for the typos and other errors, I make these on my phone in my down time lol. Feel free to use it in the OP if you’d like!

Edit: Finally I can upload images again, so here's the updated version to fix some errors.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

No tag teams please. Eggman almost always acts with his own agency and doesn't always have Metal Sonic with him or need him. He's prolific enough that he doesn't need to share his slot with another character.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
No tag teams please. Eggman almost always acts with his own agency and doesn't always have Metal Sonic with him or need him. He's prolific enough that he doesn't need to share his slot with another character.
I merely thought it was a fun idea, though I may do a singular moveset for him in the future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom