• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

With My Smash Support, No Retreat - Dr. Eggman Thread

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
You misunderstand. Not kitchen items. Drills are one of battle technology weapons. That and other "Actual" varieties Eggman would use would stem from his back attachment device.
No you don't understand. I'm using hyperbole to mock your suggestion, because the idea of him using kitchen items while wearing a flamingo suit is just as absurd and unfitting for the character as your actual suggestions.

Eggman has NEVER used a "back attachment device" in any of his game appearances, not even once. So you think you're able to suggest any sort of ridiculous idea just because it's non-canon and you think that anything goes. It doesn't work like that.

D

Deleted member

Eggman has NEVER used a "back attachment device" in any of his game appearances, not even once.
Technically, there was the 4-armed backpack used in the intro movie for Sega Superstar Tennis and in his artwork for the game (but strangely not in the game itself), but that hardly constitutes using such a thing in Smash. :V

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Ooh, what about springs to push opponents away from him and into firing range?
For my one moveset idea on a Fan Smash project, I actually thought of that as a down special. And of course, I love the idea of using that. I wouldn't mind seeing it for Eggman at all. For attacks and authenticity reasons, I'd pull as much as reasonable from the many mechs that Eggman has. I'd personally would save the out of mech stuff for victory poses.

I see drills as iconic to Eggman. Not every character can be completely unique. Eggman's drills would look different, more styled.
Sorry to disagree with you, but I see Eggman's mechanic prowess and his stubborn refusal to give up for his iconic villain status. Drills are only a small taste of what he's got. Yeah, he can have a moveset outside of his mechs, but I see the mechs as more interesting. As someone who played a crap ton of Sonic games, I can say he has more than drills and impromptu drill-like weaponry. He's got lasers, bombs, spikes, Egg Emperor's sword/lance blade (that fires energy blades) and shield, grappling enemies with Big Arms, some mechs are large enough for stomping on smaller things that may produce shockwaves, a hand from a machine in Sonic Advance 2, and much more. Eggman would even resort to modifying his stuff or manipulating situations and others to his advantage. I see more potential for Eggman in a mech and still being unique in the process.

UserKev

Smash Champion
No you don't understand. I'm using hyperbole to mock your suggestion, because the idea of him using kitchen items while wearing a flamingo suit is just as absurd and unfitting for the character as your actual suggestions.

Eggman has NEVER used a "back attachment device" in any of his game appearances, not even once. So you think you're able to suggest any sort of ridiculous idea just because it's non-canon and you think that anything goes. It doesn't work like that.
Miss/sir, I'm not going down this road with you. You can go down this route alone. I referred to Eggman's weapons as tools because its a creative quirk. I mean, its not like anything in Smash speculation is fact anyway. If I want to make a suggestion, I can. This is why fan made move sets are a thing. Now I know to avoid you because your such a Smash expert.

That's all.

PsychoJosh

Miss/sir, I'm not going down this road with you. You can go down this route alone. I referred to Eggman's weapons as tools because its a creative quirk. I mean, its not like anything in Smash speculation is fact anyway. If I want to make a suggestion, I can. This is why fan made move sets are a thing. Now I know to avoid you because your such a Smash expert.

That's all.
You're free to make suggestions all you want, but when your suggestions are completely absurd and don't make any sense for the character, you can expect to get called out for it. Simple as that.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Honestly, if we did get a second Sonic character, I think Dr. Robotnik is the most deserving. He appeared before Tails or Knuckles. Plus, he would have a unique moveset. In the end, Tails would just be a Luigified version of Sonic.

I could see Robotnik being similar to Koopa Jr, in that he would fight inside a mech, and would take more damage if he himself were hit instead of the mech. However, his moves could be completely different. I've been wanting to write a moveset for Dr. Robotnik for a long time, but never really got to it.

PsychoJosh

I think Eggman would have more serious weapons than Bowser Jr's clown car. Missiles, electric traps, drills, flamethrowers and jet boosters are just a few things he could have.

Eggman to Bowser Jr.: "Tell your father to hurry up with the gold coins he owes me for building your mech!"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Whatever he has, he needs a Mean Bean Machine attack at this point. :p

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Whatever he has, he needs a Mean Bean Machine attack at this point. :p
Eggman getting a Mean Bean Machine based attack would provide a callback to how in the U.S, we got Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, a rebranded Puyo Puyo game. However, I feel that would be likely that could be given to Arle Nadja from the Puyo Puyo games.

Honestly, if we did get a second Sonic character, I think Dr. Robotnik is the most deserving. He appeared before Tails or Knuckles. Plus, he would have a unique moveset. In the end, Tails would just be a Luigified version of Sonic.

I could see Robotnik being similar to Koopa Jr, in that he would fight inside a mech, and would take more damage if he himself were hit instead of the mech. However, his moves could be completely different. I've been wanting to write a moveset for Dr. Robotnik for a long time, but never really got to it.
I can see taking more damage if hit directly happening regardless if Eggman fights with the Egg Walker, that mech from Sonic the Fighters, or having him flying around in the Egg Pod. It would be a nice touch to a playable Eggman.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
or having him flying around in the Egg Pod.
The idea I had was that he would fly around in the Egg Pod, and it would transform into various other mechs, depending on what attack was used. For instance, Big Arm could be his grab, and Drill Eggman could be his side special.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: If Smash 4 Switch does happen, I'm hoping we get a Sonic Forces stage. If we do, I could see it being either the city featured in the trailer, or a new version of Green Hill Zone.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
The idea I had was that he would fly around in the Egg Pod, and it would transform into various other mechs, depending on what attack was used. For instance, Big Arm could be his grab, and Drill Eggman could be his side special.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: If Smash 4 Switch does happen, I'm hoping we get a Sonic Forces stage. If we do, I could see it being either the city featured in the trailer, or a new version of Green Hill Zone.
Feel free to dish out a moveset when you're ready. The Egg Pod can be modular so there's a route there. Regardless, I think Eggman has really good potential for Smash.

If a Smash title for Switch does happen, I'm currently all for new stage for Sonic (and hopefully Baldy McNosehair too!) in Smash. I can't wait to get my hands on Sonic Mania personally.

D

Deleted member

Um... so... he shoots a garbage puyo at the enemy?

Honestly I don't really see how that would work.
Eh, I'm mostly joking since I got a bit excited over the nod to Mean Bean Machine in Sonic Mania.

If the Puyos were to be featured in anyone's moveset, it'd be better for a Puyo Puyo character like Arle or Satan since it wouldn't really flow with a mech-based moveset for the Doctor. :p

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Put me on the list of supporters. I've always been a proponent of SA2 Egg Walker Eggman. I think it'd be the perfect way to make him playable.

Also, while Big Arm and Death Egg Robot are good ideas for Final Smashes, I'd like to propose another option.

The classic ball and chain. It may not be nearly as intimidating as the other options, but it's one of the most iconic Eggman bosses, still shows up/is referenced today, and was his very first appearance in the entire franchise. Because of it being the first boss, most people also are pretty familiar in it. It could even work with the Egg Walker idea, seeing as how the Egg Walker is just legs built onto his classic hoverpod.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Put me on the list of supporters. I've always been a proponent of SA2 Egg Walker Eggman. I think it'd be the perfect way to make him playable.

Also, while Big Arm and Death Egg Robot are good ideas for Final Smashes, I'd like to propose another option.

The classic ball and chain. It may not be nearly as intimidating as the other options, but it's one of the most iconic Eggman bosses, still shows up/is referenced today, and was his very first appearance in the entire franchise. Because of it being the first boss, most people also are pretty familiar in it. It could even work with the Egg Walker idea, seeing as how the Egg Walker is just legs built onto his classic hoverpod.
I am open to other Final Smash ideas and that would be a good option. I think it is much easier to pull this off as a Final Smash than as a normal attack.

PF9

Smash Lord
If Eggman gets in, I'd like some famous hard rock band to cover "I Am the Walrus" as a theme song for the character (because of the line "I am the eggman")

D

Deleted member

Yes.
I can't support this enough.
I love Eggman, I want more villains, and Eggman's potential is massive.
Would be even better if something simillar to this played in his reveal trailer.
So add me to the supporters list pls

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Yes.
I can't support this enough.
I love Eggman, I want more villains, and his potential is massive.
Would be even better if something simillar to this played in his reveal trailer.
Glad to have you on board Lampy. I agree that Dr. Eggman's moveset potential is huge and with getting some villains in the roster. He one of those villains who are iconic.

Plus, it would be very cool watching Bowser and Dr. Eggman either team up to fight their respective heroes or fight each other.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
bumpin this thread up with some eggman goodness

One of the most iconic video game villians def needs to be in smash switch

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played a Sonic game in years and yet I really want Eggman in Smash. He's such a well known known villain with lots of charm and after seeing Bowser Jr in Smash 4, I'm confident that they can make an even better mech character.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Time to build the Egg Empire... for Smash. Let's see if our lovable baddie gets in.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Eggman has been my absolute #1 most wanted Smash Bros. newcomer ever since Sonic was announced. He's hands-down my favorite Sonic character in all his many incarnations, and Sonic is my favorite series in Smash Bros. (right now, anyway) so I'd probably die if he got in. I made an emblem to show my support, glory to the Eggman Empire!

domriver

Smash Lord
Dr Robotnik has my support. I hope they use that name if the Dr. gets in. Eggman is just meh Iin my opinion. He has tremendous possibilities for a moveset and Final Smash could be the good ol' ball n chain. However more devastating and controllable i hope. lol I

PsychoJosh

I think Eggman has a VERY strong chance of making it in this time around. Since this will be Sonic's third time entering the series, I'm sure they've thought of ways they could expand the roster with the IP that already exist in the game.

Eggman has lots of strong arguments going for him, such as adding another villain, adding another Sonic rep, and adding another super heavyweight. I think it's very likely we'll see him.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Dr Robotnik has my support. I hope they use that name if the Dr. gets in. Eggman is just meh Iin my opinion. He has tremendous possibilities for a moveset and Final Smash could be the good ol' ball n chain. However more devastating and controllable i hope. lol I
Regardless of what he's called, the lovable Sonic villain does indeed have tons of potential. So many machines and mechs have been tossed up against Sonic that there's much to work with, providing his a playable character of course.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I've long since pledge my allegiance to the Eggman Empire, so he's certainly on my most wanted list.

SonicMario

Smash Master
It's always been Dr. Eggman in Japan so that's rather unlikely.

I personally think Tails is the most likely, and I have to admit I would prefer Tails personally (I mean no offense of course, just I feel Sonic & Tails Vs. Mario & Luigi would be something a tad more enticing to be made possible in Smash. Two of the greatest gaming duos). But Eggman would be the next best thing for sure.

At the very least, Eggman would make a fun boss if they ever do any sort of mode with series bosses again.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I'd definitely be down for Eggman. The series needs more villains and he'd definitely fit the bill. I've always said that if they ever added a 2nd Sonic character it should be either him or Tails (it'd bring the Melee rumor full circle). I'm more in favor of Eggman, however. He's been with Sonic since the very beginning, so it's only natural they'd add his arch enemy.

StormC

Smash Hero
Definitely a supporter. Eggman is my most wanted third party character; if any third party franchise got another character, it should be Sonic, considering the massive cultural footprint of the series and Sonic will be going on three games of Smash. After K. Rool and Ridley, he'd be my first pick for a new villain candidate.

I put together this moveset (I made a mech-less moveset ages ago but have no idea what happened to it); trying to differentiate it from Bowser Jr. was pretty difficult, but I did what I could. Let me know what you guys think.

DR. EGGMAN (SONIC)

Eggman rides in a miniature version of his Egg Walker from Sonic Adventure 2, with the claw-like appendages from the mech from Sonic The Fighters added in. His attacks come from his numerous boss battles, primarily the classic Genesis games. Slightly heavier than Bowser, Eggman is the heaviest character in the game, and has below average movement speed and poor air mobility. However, Eggman makes up for this by having some of the strongest attacks in the game with impressive frame rate, as well as a series of projectiles that give him potent zoning/arena control.

Eggman is best played by using projectiles and drones to force the player to approach; his melee attacks have devastating launch capabilities and are best used to punish aggressive rushdown players. However, Eggman has one of the biggest hitboxes in the game and is at risk of being combo fodder by certain characters. Eggman players should tread lightly when it comes to trying to approach these types of characters without proper arena control established.

Jab & Dash:

Jab 1: Eggman thrusts the claws of his mech forward.

Jab 2: Eggman spins it in a circle much like Sonic The Fighters.

Dash Attack: Eggman summons the drill from Sonic The Hedgehog 2.

Tilts:

Forward Tilt: Eggman launches a large metal fist from the mech.

Upward Tilt: Eggman swipes the mech’s hand in an arc.

Downward Tilt: Eggman kicks forward with one of the robot legs.

Ledge Attack: Eggman hangs onto the ledge with his mech’s hand, then climbs on and thrusts it forward in a jab.

Floor Attack: Eggman generates a saw from the mech’s body, spinning it around and jumping back up.

Smashes:

Forward Smash: Eggman runs an electric current through the mech’s claw, stabbing forward; it also fires forward a lightning orb that travels some distance before disappearing.

Up Smash: Eggman sends up a flying Badnik. After it flies a certain distance, it explodes.

Down Smash: Based on his battle in the Ice Cap Zone from Sonic 3, Eggman will launch the mech up on a metal pole, which generates cold air that can freeze opponents upon contact. The mech itself as well as the cold air have hurtboxes.

Aerials:

Neutral Aerial: Eggman summons drones around him that shield himself from minor attacks briefly.

Forward Aerial: Eggman summons a massive hammer and slams it down; this is a meteor smash.

Upward Aerial: Eggman fires a missile straight into the air.

Back Aerial: The legs on the Egg Walker disappear and Eggman summons the wrecking ball from his first boss battle in Sonic The Hedgehog.

Down Aerial: Eggman rains down fireballs that land on the ground, briefly generating fire. If two patches of fire are on the ground at a time, no more fire will spread until they disappear.

Specials:

Standard Special (Egg Laser): Eggman charges up a beam on the mech’s cannon. The more it’s charged, the thicker the blast is and the further it travels. Eggman can move back and forth while charging, but cannot turn the mech’s body.

Forward Special (Egg Missiles): Eggman fires two types of missiles from his mech; a smaller, rounder missile (type 1) and a longer, narrower missile (type 2). Type 1 moves faster but Type 2 deals more damage. They alternate coming out of the missile launcher as 1/2/1/2.

Up Special (Jet Engine): This move allows Eggman to slowly ascend up, with a bigger focus on horizontal recovery than vertical recovery. This deals no damage.

Down Special (Badnik Box): Eggman creates a sentry that generates Badniks. These run around the stage and cause damage/interference much like Dedede’s Waddle Dees from Brawl. The sentry will disappear after a certain time or until it takes enough damage, but it will explode if it takes damage, hurting anyone nearby it.

Grab & Throws:

Grab: Eggman grabs the opponent with the mech’s hand.

Pummel: Eggman fires lasers from the mech’s cannon.

Forward Throw: Eggman chucks the opponent away from him.

Back Throw: Eggman throws the opponent behind him, shooting a missile that moves in reverse to hit them.

Up Throw: Eggman punches up with the arm, the hand growing big like in Sonic The Fighters.

Down Throw: Eggman pulls out a spiked wheel and spins it on the enemy.

Miscellaneous

Entrance: Eggman flies in on his Egg Mobile, which transforms into the Egg Walker.

Taunt 1: Eggman lights up his cannon and shouts “get a load of this!”

Taunt 2: Eggman spins the mech’s body around like a top, laughing maniacally.

Taunt 3: Eggman adjusts the goggles on his head, smirking as they shine.

Victory Pose 1: Eggman jumps up and down triumphantly in the mech like his victory pose in Sonic Adventure 2.

Victory Pose 2: Eggman stands outside of his mech, arms crossed, laughing triumphantly.

Victory Pose 3: Eggman’s mech lands in from the sky, turning into the Egg Mobile as he rests his arm over the side, looking at the camera.

Final Smash (Death Egg Robot): Eggman summons the giant mech from the final battle of Sonic The Hedgehog 2, the same size as Giga Bowser. He can launch the robotic arms for massive damage and has greater air mobility now.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to see the good doctor in his Egg Walker--with Sonic being my favorite video game series. (Or a Pokemon Trainer-esque Dr. Wiley with rotating robot masters, but I digress.)

As much as I'd want it to happen, sometimes I wonder what Nintendo have gotten themselves in to. Sonic fans are a rabid bunch. The more Sonic characters we get, the more we'll want. If Sakurai ever took out Sonic or a Sonic character, there would be such an uproar. It also might take away from the series' protagonists.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd be ecstatic if it did happen.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'd love to see the good doctor in his Egg Walker--with Sonic being my favorite video game series. (Or a Pokemon Trainer-esque Dr. Wiley with rotating robot masters, but I digress.)

As much as I'd want it to happen, sometimes I wonder what Nintendo have gotten themselves in to. Sonic fans are a rabid bunch. The more Sonic characters we get, the more we'll want. If Sakurai ever took out Sonic or a Sonic character, there would be such an uproar. It also might take away from the series' protagonists.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd be ecstatic if it did happen.
Well of course removing Sonic would cause an uproar. Even among non-Sonic fans it'd absolutely be questionable to remove the character that was so popular they delayed Brawl in order to include him. (Even if we now know that was because Sega almost made the dumb decision of following through on a "no" before changing their minds before it was too late)

Though yeah admittedly given how much unrest there is in the entire Sonic fandom it'll be hard to see full approval from the fanbase whomever they choose to be the 2nd Sonic character.

If Tails is chosen, he'd arguably be the most balanced choice of icon status, more naturally easy to make off of Sonic followed by adding a few properties of the characters that can fly/have more jumps then normal, and generally a character that both modern and classic fans like in one way or another. Though even then there'd be fans decrying we couldn't get a more "natural fighter" like Knuckles, or "Not as cool" as Shadow. Or it just being one of Sonic's "annoying friends" in general for non-Sonic fans. Would also probably have some of the same moves Sonic has such as the Spin Dash which those who aren't fans of clones wouldn't like. Even though I think Tails would be just as cloned from Sonic as Luigi is currently from Mario. If not more so decloned then Luigi is.

If Knuckles is chosen, this would mean Sakurai preferred going for the character in the franchise most fit for fighting. But at the same time there would be decrying that he shouldn't have come in before Tails. Knuckles is a classic character for sure, and some of his portrayals in the past would make him out to be the cool character without the controversy of Shadow the Hedgehog. But Knuckles is certainly not Sonic's Luigi. It'd be almost like getting Wario before Luigi. Wario is more unique compared to Luigi and is a character built better for fighting arguably. But Mario and Luigi is the iconic duo of the Mario Series. And Sonic and Tails is the equivalent of that in their franchise.

If Shadow is chosen... oh boy the backlash would be massive from both the perspective of Sonic fans and non-Sonic fans. Classic fans bashing for them choosing a very controversial modern Sonic character over any classic ones. And not even those who are fans of the newer games and/or started with the Adventure games (Like me) would be sure this was the right choice. Fans of Smash that aren't fans of Sonic at all being absolutely livid where even if Tails, Knuckles, or Eggman made it they could bite the bullet because those are still classic iconic gaming characters (Or if say they're DLC which they'd most likely would be. Simply not buy them but understand why they'd get in)

And even if Eggman is chosen, which would probably be the most accepted overall because Eggman isn't one of "Sonic's annoying friends" plus Eggman's personality is something that would be a joy to have in the roster. It'd still be strange because it would defy what we've seen of past Smash order in terms of Main character -> Sidekick -> Main villain. Which we got with Mario -> Luigi -> Bowser and even now with Donkey Kong where we have Diddy and still don't have K. Rool. Might also be a little more difficult to pin down how he'll fight. Do we make him a heavier Bowser Jr. with his own tricks? Do we give him the Walker like he had in SA2 even if that's not necessarily his most iconic appearance? Etc.? Maybe arguably the potential creative liberties could make him even more enticing to include. But I just have a hard time imagining it. (Don't get me wrong, just know that although I doubt Eggman would be the choice. I'm willing to (as Sonic in SA2 said) "EAT THOSE WORDS" if it does happen even if I do prefer Tails. He and Eggman are the most deserving if there is to be any increase in Sonic character representation)

If you wanted the entire Sonic fanbase happy the best bet would include all four of these... but that only happens if Nintendo outright buys Sega. And even then that would alienate the other fanbases. Even as someone who's most wanted Smash character is Tails. I understand that wanting any playable representation for a 3rd party franchise beyond the main character is a little greedy. As long as Sonic is in, my dream inclusion is still in place. Won't be upset whatsoever if Sonic's alone for as long as Smash Bros. games go on, those wanting a 2nd Sonic character regardless if it's Tails, Knuckles, or Eggman should ultimately just think of it as wanting an extra dessert on top but know to just be happy that the delicious main course is still there for us at the end of the day. :4sonic:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Hey yall it is Eggman's day in RTC come on by rate him.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
How would you guys feel if Eggman was an Echo Character of Bowser Jr. , with the Clown Copter being replaced with the Egg Typhoon.

He would be a heavier version of Bowser Jr. with some obviously overhauled animations.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
How would you guys feel if Eggman was an Echo Character of Bowser Jr. , with the Clown Copter being replaced with the Egg Typhoon.

He would be a heavier version of Bowser Jr. with some obviously overhauled animations.
It could happen, but it would kinda feel like a cop-out. Dr. Eggman wouldn't fit with Shadow Mario being his Final Smash. He'd have a greater chance probably ending up as a "semi-clone" more than an Echo of Bowser Jr. with say an iconic mech like Big Arms or Sonic 2's Death Egg Robot being a Final Smash for Dr. Eggman.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
It could happen, but it would kinda feel like a cop-out. Dr. Eggman wouldn't fit with Shadow Mario being his Final Smash. He'd have a greater chance probably ending up as a "semi-clone" more than an Echo of Bowser Jr. with say an iconic mech like Big Arms or Sonic 2's Death Egg Robot being a Final Smash for Dr. Eggman.
Well, Echo doesn't necessarily mean same Final Smash. Pit and Dark Pit have different Final Smashs in Smash 4.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Well, Echo doesn't necessarily mean same Final Smash. Pit and Dark Pit have different Final Smashs in Smash 4.
That's true. It really comes down to how Sakurai and the Smash devs views him. We cannot really say, considering rumors of Shadow possibly being one for Sonic. So far, the Echo characters fighters are paired with the franchise they share, but even that's shaky at best. I do admit that I have bias for not wanting Dr. Eggman being this way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom