• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

With My Smash Support, No Retreat - Dr. Eggman Thread

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Dr. Eggman

Dr. Eggman as he appears in Sonic Lost World

Who's Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik?
He is Doctor Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. He's a mad scientist who aims to conquer the world (with his tools!) and to build his empire. This causes problems for everyone and Sonic has to beat him every time Dr.Eggman starts kidnapping animals, ruining the environment, and/or causing endless amount of trouble. Dr. Eggman is very intelligent, boasting an unbelievably high IQ of 300. However, he does not put that intellect to good use (morally and planning wise) and often either has his plans back fire on him by things he controls or Sonic comes and wrecks Dr. Eggman's plans. He is quite immature and rude. He's very persistent on his goals, though. Dr. Eggman's villainy is notable alongside many other villains like Bowser, Ganondorf, FF7's Sephiroth, and King K. Rool.

What Can Dr. Eggman Do?
He can use countless mechs and is not above modifying older mechs to have newer tricks. He prefers using mechs when his robots fail him and he takes action himself. Examples of his mechs are the Death Egg Robot, Big Arms, Egg Walker, Egg Emperor, and Egg Dragoon. The mechs have many attacks and all have many purposes and tactics behind them. The mechs can fire lasers, missiles, punch, kick, stomp, and pretty much any purpose Dr. Eggman really has for the mechs. You don't see him fighting without a mech or a gadget from a distance to try and stop Sonic and Sonic's friends.

Dr. Eggman is from Sega, a third-party company. Has he been on Nintendo?
Dr. Eggman has made as much appearances on Nintendo platforms as Sonic has, barring Sonic and the Black Knight. He's no stranger to Nintendo platforms. He also appears in crossover games with both Nintendo characters and Sega's internal crossovers. Sega is also on good terms with Nintendo and there shouldn't be a licensing trouble with Sega.

Moveset Ideas
Dr. Eggman would likely use mechs to do his fighting. The idea of bringing the Egg Walker of Sonic Adventure 2 or Sonic the Fighters' fighting mech would likely be the base fighting mechs to take from. From there, creative licensing and Dr. Eggman's sometimes idea of modifying existing mechs could lead to some very diverse attacks from the many Sonic games. As for a Final Smash, I propose two mechs that serve that very purpose.

Big Arm

Death Egg Robot
Any one of these two mechs are perfect candidates for a Final Smash. As for his non-Final Smash ideas, he's likely to be slow and somewhat predictable. He would have powerful attacks to compensate for such slow and somewhat predictable movements.

Pro's & Cons
Here are some Pro's and Con's about Eggman's inclusion.

Pros:
  • Another consistent villain in Smash (which we need more of.)

• Sega is on cooperative and good terms with Nintendo

• Good moveset opportunity to differ himself from other possible/current mech users.
Cons:

• Has competition from Tails, Knuckles, and maybe even Shadow the Hedgehog

• First Party options are higher priority

• Questionable Demand
Mid-Ground

• Second Sonic Character

• Actual Moveset may go in a different direction
Why Dr. Eggman?
Dr. Eggman's antics are somewhat enjoyable, and he actually has a personality and identity. He has a good moveset pool to use that would stay faithful to Eggman's character. He is a consistent villain which Smash really needs more than just Ganondorf and Bowser. Fans of mech users can enjoy Dr. Eggman. The idea of Dr. Eggman going up against Bowser and Ganondorf would be really cool to see. Sega is on good terms with Nintendo and would be fine with licensing. Do you think Dr. Eggman would be fine in Smash?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
"I am Doctor Ivo Robotnik and I would support who I want."

Still want the good doctor in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Baldy McNosehair!

Wait... I don't think he likes being called that.

I still support Eggman's efforts to build his empire and bring it into Smash.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Dr. Eggman's easily my most wanted third party character, count me in!

Also, after looking at the Google Trends data and that Sega Franchise Revival Poll (where he actually placed above Sonic) I think there's actually some reason to believe that Dr. Eggman might be the most popular Sonic character in Japan aside from Sonic himself. Not that that necessarily translates into him having higher demand than the others there, but it's something.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Forgive me if this comes off as rude, but I'm just trying to be real here.

The Prime Directive of Super Smash Bros has always been to celebrate Nintendo first and foremost. By that meaning, third party characters aren't really needed in Smash. I'm not saying they have no place in Smash, I'm just saying that any third party character playable in Smash is a guest. Nintendo always make it clear that they're guests. You don't just give a guest equal treatment out of the blue, that would just throw the game off the track of its prime directive.

As such, I do not believe Dr Robotnik can be playable.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I'm not saying they have no place in Smash, I'm just saying that any third party character playable in Smash is a guest. Nintendo always make it clear that they're guests.
I can agree on this. Third-party characters are indeed guests. Ultimately, it is how Nintendo and the director of Smash games wants to make Smash games and if they keep their intended vision or not.

You don't just give a guest equal treatment out of the blue, that would just throw the game off the track of its prime directive.
I believe Sakurai has given statements and the Smash Ballot rules were hints or even clear definitions to how the roster is selected. We really don't know on much on how the developers, Sakurai, or Nintendo would handle the situation on two guests from the same franchise. Unless there's an official statement on that scenario, I say Eggman is fair to be playable if there's no development issues with Eggman during the more technical processes such as animation, movements, etc that would be barring Eggman from entering in.

As for the "equal treatment" thing, I don't think everyone, by intention, is thinking that. To me, I think it is more like "Hey, Dr. Eggman is eligible, we like the idea of him being a fighter in Smash," regardless of how likely he will show up as a fighter in a realistic scenario.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
. By that meaning, third party characters aren't really needed in Smash.
I'd argue that they are. They're the most hyped additions to the game.
Sonic and Snake were extremely hyped when they got revealed. Mega Man was the most hyped newcomer for the initial roster. Cloud was the most hyped for DLC alongside Mewtwo who nearly everyone wanted back.
Hype is a big part of Smash.

You don't just give a guest equal treatment out of the blue, that would just throw the game off the track of its prime directive.
I don't see how the Sonic series getting a second character is "equal treatment". Are you implying it already doesn't have "equal treatment"? Because that's a load of crap. It has "equal treatment" to Xenoblade and other Nintendo franchises with a single character, a stage, multiple trophies and an assist trophy. It's arguably "treated" better than numerous Nintendo franchises already anyway.

Guests should always have equal treatment. You don't host a party and treat the guests worse than others because that causes them to leave. With Smash, Sakurai has to make deals with third parties to get any content at all. It's why Final Fantasy is poorly represented, SE are stingy. Meanwhile Namco, SEGA and Capcom were happy to let Sakurai have more content.

What would throw the game off its "prime directive" is if the amount of third party newcomers exceeded the number of Nintendo newcomers. And that is something I don't mind.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Forgive me if this comes off as rude, but I'm just trying to be real here.

The Prime Directive of Super Smash Bros has always been to celebrate Nintendo first and foremost. By that meaning, third party characters aren't really needed in Smash. I'm not saying they have no place in Smash, I'm just saying that any third party character playable in Smash is a guest. Nintendo always make it clear that they're guests. You don't just give a guest equal treatment out of the blue, that would just throw the game off the track of its prime directive.

As such, I do not believe Dr Robotnik can be playable.
Tbh Sonic is one of the most Nintendo franchise that isn't actually Ninty. Hell, Sonic games tend to sell better on Nintendo and Sonic rarely has a crossover that isn't with Mario

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Get a load of this. The E.G.G.M.A.N is not in Smash yet. You know what they say? The more the merrier!

Eggman is honestly one of my most wanted characters. I feel that we desperately need more villains, and him and Sephiroth are honestly as big if not bigger than Nintendo's own villains not in Smash. It would be awesome to have some of gaming's greatest villains in smash. I will make a moveset for eggman real real soon.

Add me to the supporters list please.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Tbh Sonic is one of the most Nintendo franchise that isn't actually Ninty. Hell, Sonic games tend to sell better on Nintendo and Sonic rarely has a crossover that isn't with Mario
This.

Honestly, I feel Sega is the only real obstacle from the series getting multiple characters. Sakurai did talk about how hard it was to get the rights for Sonic again in a Famitsu article, so imagine how difficult it would be to get someone like Eggman in Smash.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
This.

Honestly, I feel Sega is the only real obstacle from the series getting multiple characters. Sakurai did talk about how hard it was to get the rights for Sonic again in a Famitsu article, so imagine how difficult it would be to get someone like Eggman in Smash.
I say Sega is being protective here, but Sega should be able to see how successful Smash is and people for the most part are happy Sonic is in Smash (Minus the viewpoint that Sonic needs his moveset to be reworked). You'd think Sega would be lax on bringing Sonic back, let alone having Dr. Eggman being a possible third Sega character, second being Bayonetta.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Oh yeah. I'm definitely in favor of Eggman. If a second Sonic rep got in, it'd be either Eggman or Knuckles, and I lean a bit more towards Eggman simply because he'd be another super heavyweight character and is less similar to Sonic than Knuckles is.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If a second Sonic character ever got in, I'd be fine with either Tails or Eggman. While I think Tails would be more likely (just seeing as sidekick/secondary hero characters tend to get added before villains, like with Zelda and Luigi coming before Ganondorf and Bowser), Eggman is definitely the one I'd prefer.

Count me in.

D

Deleted member

Since Sonic's moves had Sonic the Fighters as a major inspiration, I could see Eggman piloting the E-Mech from the same game.

Though personally, I'd rather see the Smash team try to make a SA2 style with the Egg Walker since that was his first main playable appearance.

PsychoJosh

If a second Sonic character ever got in, I'd be fine with either Tails or Eggman. While I think Tails would be more likely (just seeing as sidekick/secondary hero characters tend to get added before villains, like with Zelda and Luigi coming before Ganondorf and Bowser), Eggman is definitely the one I'd prefer.

Count me in.
I think Eggman is more likely than Tails, as I can't see Tails playing much differently from Sonic, and I don't think Nintendo wants to waste time using their third party licenses for clone characters. Every third party character in Smash is completely unique and independent from each other which is why I think they're more likely to go with Eggman. Not only would he be unique from Sonic, but he'd also be another villain and super heavyweight, in a game that desperately needs more (only 4 of the 55 characters in the game so far are super heavyweights).

Anyways, please add my support to the OP.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Though personally, I'd rather see the Smash team try to make a SA2 style with the Egg Walker since that was his first main playable appearance.
I agree with the Egg Walker idea from Sonic Adventure 2. I think the Sonic the Fighters mech is less creative, but I can see an interesting angle which I am not sure if anyone has traversed, yet.

Why not modify the Egg Walker (not during battle, of course)? I don't think it'll be a character issue if Eggman does that since he has done that in Sonic Adventure 2 in the form of upgrades and has modified his mechs outside of that game as well. I don't know how that'll will go, but I think it'll add to Eggman's fun factor and moveset potential.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I want Eggman to fight without a vehicle. Just have the Dr. himself on foot, then we'd a character that's faster than Sonic. :troll:

Jokes aside, I support. I'm more in the classic Egg Mobile/Egg-O-Matic camp though. Never was a fan of the Egg Walker.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Add me to the support list. Eggman would be fun and is probably my favorite video game villain, even more so than Bowser.

D

Deleted member

Add me to the support list. Eggman would be fun and is probably my favorite video game villain, even more so than Bowser.
That reminds me of something that'd be awesome.

A tag-team match between Mario and Sonic vs. Bowser and Eggman.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I prefer Eggman outside his mech and rather have him work similar to this inspector we know of. If it isn't Porky, Bowser Jr. has done everything you can do with a mech variety.

I like the idea of Eggman using a backpack as the source of his smash equipment that a variety of mechanical weapons will extend from, attached to robotic arms like drills but grab and kick with his own hands and feet. He'd fight non communicative, cold and interestingly. I'd be sick.

Use his Sonic 2 model with his running animation and gold.

D

Deleted member

If it isn't Porky, Bowser Jr. has done everything you can do with a mech variety.
.....that couldn't be farther from the truth.
The E-Mech from Sonic the Fighters and the Eggwalker from Sonic Adventure 2 for example are nothing like Bowser Jr.'s Clown Car in their design and function.

You're thinking in terms of the Eggmobile/Egg-O-Matic, in which there are some similarities in the weapons it can theoretically use, but even then, there's still plenty more available to work with that the Clown Car lacks.

PsychoJosh

I prefer Eggman outside his mech and rather have him work similar to this inspector we know of.
Eggman isn't meant to be outside his mech. His whole special talent is being able to use mechs and gadgets of his own invention. The only time he gets outside his mechs are when he's in the cockpit of one of his flying death machines or is in a chao garden. Not having him in his mech defeats his whole purpose as a character.

UserKev

Smash Champion
.....that couldn't be farther from the truth.
The E-Mech from Sonic the Fighters and the Eggwalker from Sonic Adventure 2 for example are nothing like Bowser Jr.'s Clown Car in their design and function.

You're thinking in terms of the Eggmobile/Egg-O-Matic, in which there are some similarities in the weapons it can theoretically use, but even then, there's still plenty more available to work with that the Clown Car lacks.
I personally rather not see another mech fighter. That's all been done to me. I still stand by my idea of Eggman in Smash.
Eggman isn't meant to be outside his mech. His whole special talent is being able to use mechs and gadgets of his own invention. The only time he gets outside his mechs are when he's in the cockpit of one of his flying death machines or is in a chao garden. Not having him in his mech defeats his whole purpose as a character.
No. It doesn't. That's just your perspective against change. Smash isn't canon. He's not completely departed from his mech. Its just reverted to power tools in his backpack.

PsychoJosh

No. It doesn't. That's just your perspective against change. Smash isn't canon. He's not completely departed from his mech. Its just reverted to power tools in his backpack.
Do you even realize how you sound?

"Smash isn't canon, so my idea for Eggman to be hitting people with a waffle iron while dressed as a flamingo makes perfect sense for the character! If you're opposed to this idea it's just because you hate change!"

If he's going to be in the game, he's going to be riding a mech. Period. They're going to draw from his canon appearances which means hes going to appear in some version of his Egg Walker. He is way more often depicted driving a mech than lumbering around on foot in his canon appearances which means he is going to be driving a mech in Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm honestly seeing the E-Mech (or something along the lines of it) being the most likely option.
The Eggwalker may represent the Doc's first (and only) major playable role in the franchise (not the first time he's been playable, though; you all know what I mean), but now that I think of it, it's more of a go-to mech for the typical "get from start to finish" scenario while the E-Mech is better suited for "beat the crap out of the opponent" scenarios like Sonic the Fighters and Smash.

And considering Sonic the Fighters had influence on a number of Sonic's moves, I can see that same source being looked at for Eggman as well.

Though there's also the option for an original battle mech designed exclusively for Smash with the series' mechanics in mind, which would demonstrate what the good Doctor is all about; piloting machines specifically designed to accomplish a particular goal.

PsychoJosh

I tend to agree that Eggman's mech, whether it's original for Smash or not,, is gonna need arms.

Some detractors have a point in that we need to consider how to differentiate him from Bowser Jr. He needs a mech with limbs, and more attacks revolving around tech. Maybe a laser-guided rocket weapon, jump jets, flamethrowers, electric dynamos, hydro jets, bombs, a laser cannon...

And maybe the spike from his appearance in Spring Yard Zone as his down-air...

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Do you even realize how you sound?

"Smash isn't canon, so my idea for Eggman to be hitting people with a waffle iron while dressed as a flamingo makes perfect sense for the character! If you're opposed to this idea it's just because you hate change!"

If he's going to be in the game, he's going to be riding a mech. Period. They're going to draw from his canon appearances which means hes going to appear in some version of his Egg Walker. He is way more often depicted driving a mech than lumbering around on foot in his canon appearances which means he is going to be driving a mech in Smash.
You misunderstand. Not kitchen items. Drills are one of battle technology weapons. That and other "Actual" varieties Eggman would use would stem from his back attachment device.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If you want to keep Eggman different from Bowser Jr then you probably shouldn't be giving him Drills.

D

Deleted member

I tend to agree that Eggman's mech, whether it's original for Smash or not,, is gonna need arms.

Some detractors have a point in that we need to consider how to differentiate him from Bowser Jr. He needs a mech with limbs, and more attacks revolving around tech. Maybe a laser-guided rocket weapon, jump jets, flamethrowers, electric dynamos, hydro jets, bombs, a laser cannon...

Ooh, what about springs to push opponents away from him and into firing range?

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

Of course not everything you listed applies, but the first thing I thought of was Eggman commanding a Sentinel-esque mech suit but with Doctor Doom's Plasma Beam and Hidden Missile. :p

Hyper Sentinel Force but with Egg-Robos maybe?

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
If you want to keep Eggman different from Bowser Jr then you probably shouldn't be giving him Drills.

I see drills as iconic to Eggman. Not every character can be completely unique. Eggman's drills would look different, more styled.

Top Bottom