• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wishmere – out now!

JulianKPrime

Smash Rookie

Hey everyone, I'm Julian from Crayder Studios. My teammate and I are working on a new fighting game for PC, Mac and Linux, called Wishmere. Wishmere is something of a love-letter to the fighting game genre, though you could call it a lovechild between Smash + Blazblue and Guilty Gear.

What is Wishmere?
Wishmere is a mix of Smash and the wilder elements of Blazblue and Guilty Gear. We wanted to design something that was fun to play for both casual and competitive players. We tried to take the the accessibility elements that players enjoys in a Smash and mold the gameplay sensibilities to be that of a lifebar based fighting game.

Wishmere can be played with up to 4 players in Versus mode or can be played co-op against a horde of AI enemies (in a mode called Base of Darkness, where you can upgrade your Skills similar to the Borderlands series). We're very close to implementing Online play for both Versus (Ranked and Unranked) and will be using 'rollback' technology (but not GGPO unfortunately, we've spoken to Tony Cannon and he was kind enough to inform us that as we're developing in Unity, code in GGPO doesn't play well with Unity). [doesn't look likely right now, but we're open to adding it in the future if there are demands]

Early on in development, Wishmere used to be a beat-em-up / fighting game hybrid, but we found that the beat-em-up Z-axis caused too much ambiguity for collision and have rehauled the system and gameplay to something more precise.

What's it play like?
  • Simpler inputs – similar to Smash, but simpler (direction + attack button, i.e. no tilts).
  • Lifebars - deplete an opponent's lifebar to get a KO. When scoring a KO, the opponent loses a life. 3 lost lifes mean the match is over.
  • Fate system – can use a full Fate gauge to a) slow time to allow setups or extend combos or b) break out of attacks
  • Edge – gauge-based character maneuvers that accentuate their playstyle (eg: a teleport to a point on the screen or a critical hit for the next successful attack)
  • Combo system - Outside of slowing time, fundamental combo system is similar to KOFXIV (command move links, juggle-ability, super-cancels do not cost meter)
  • Movement - Airdash, throws (throw breaks). Guards are similar to Smash, though not exactly like a Shield (no shrinking)
  • Block and Jump buttons - Like Smash, Wishmere uses a Block button and Jump button.
  • Gamepad / Joystick compatible - Designed to be played on joystick / gamepad, but can be played on a keyboard. 6 or 8 button game, depending on control scheme (6 button scheme is the default and may suit fighting game players more, while 8 button scheme is friendly for those who do not like to perform button combinations)

Videos:
Versus Gameplay Showcase:

Base of Darkness (Co-Op) Gameplay Showcase:

Character Trailers:

What's the progress?
The game is all finished! This was a long 2 year and 2 month journey, and I'm happy to have started and completed this journey. It has been fun and a good way to deal with a family tragedy, and a nice way to honor some memories. Wishmere is available on Steam and Humble.

Who are we?
We're Crayder Studios, a small two-man team (we're also brothers) working on this full-time. There's just two of us, so we try to wear as many hats as possible. We've been playing fighting games all our lives, tried and played so many fighting games (even the ridiculous ones like Beast Wars on PS1!)

The game's soundtrack is being done by Zack Parrish, who composed the OST for Valdis Story.

Where can I get it?
You can get Wishmere on Early Access on Steam or Humble We'd love to hear from you and help us make Wishmere the best it can be: any feedback you have is good!

Fore more information, our website (www.wishmere.com) has movelists, screenshots and details about the game system.

We'd love to hear what you guys think and do let us know if you've got any questions! We'll be using this thread to discuss and update what's going on with the game, and to get feedback.

(I apologize if this game doesn't belong in this forum, as I have been asking some mods / admins if it appropriate, and they've told me that it should be alright. Though if it's not appropriate, do let me know and I'll wipe this thread clean!)

Last edited:

JulianKPrime

Smash Rookie
The update for Wishmere is now live! If Wishmere sounds interesting to you or if it like your kind of game, do pick it up, it's currently 30% off! Your support is much appreciated and we'd love to hear any comments you might have about the game. You can pick it up from: Steam, Humble or itch.io.

From here, we're developing towards another content update (2 more new characters!) and some holiday content for the holiday season.

JulianKPrime

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot! We're just two people and only one works on the art (aside from 3 of the stages), so that's very motivating to hear.

It may not be within the direct gameplay of Smash, but lots of gameplay elements were inspired by Smash (4 player fighter, size / scope of stages in comparison to the characters, execution of moves, block and jump buttons, and a few more).

JulianKPrime

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, just wanted to share a new video of gameplay in the game. We've worked on some new redesigns in terms of perspective for the backgrounds and we're working on fine tuning the characters to keep it fun and with some depth at the same time.
Hope to get some new content out there before the year is over! :)

JulianKPrime

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, got another update here. Super excited to show off this one: we've added 2 more characters to the game. Have a look at their trailers!
Duu Shen is a fast paced pressure character with good juggle damage.

Spritz is a grappler with lots of tools to pick apart an opponent's attack (shields, projectile sponges, 1 hit autoguard).

We've changed the perspective of all the stages in the game, added a new stage, added holiday themed bits (snowfall in a stage, character colors and items). Do let me know what your feedback is (good or bad)! Thanks everyone and happy holidays!

JulianKPrime

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. Got a nice little update here. Our final character has been added to the game! He goes by the name of 'Doubt' and gameplay-wise, he is all about controlling his opponents and using space to his advantage. He's a dangerous guy to go head-to-head with without a plan.

Doubt is an evil force of nature, who just happens to have fabulous hair.

We've also added a Tutorial Mode in the game, which covers all gameplay mechanics of Wishmere. We hope this will aid players to understand the game's system.

Also, we're working on launching a free playable demo out on Steam within a month or so. Hope that will give a lot of people an opportunity to play and test out the game to see if they like it before making a decision.

Do let me know how you guys feel about this!

JulianKPrime

Smash Rookie
Quick little update here. We've been toying around with the hitstop times in Wishmere. Check out the comparison:

We've gotten feedback from the community that the previous one was too short, so we did a lot of research and found a nice length that we feel emphasises the impact of attacks and keeps it fast paced. We feel way more pleased with this new hitstop! How do you guys feel about it? Do you like the newer hitstop or the older hitstop better? Do let me know if you guys have any feedback :)

JulianKPrime

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! Been away for a while, but have been working on the game nonstop.
We've implemented the new hitstop for all characters. Here's a quick match video with the new hitstop:

Also, we've reworked some of the lighting in the stages and developed our last stage for the game:

Its the boss' stage called 'the Shadow Plains'! It's kind of a moody stage :D

The Early Access build is done updating, while we implement story mode, unlockables and all the AI for the final release of game. We're also looking very seriously at releasing for Mac and Linux, as we've gotten requests for both platforms!

JulianKPrime

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

Good news, Wishmere is well under way to being complete. We've got some extra content (unlockables and all) and QA testing to go, then we're all set. We're at 90% completion!

Also, we've just released the free demo for Wishmere on Steam! You can get it on the Steam store page (just look on the right column where it says "Download Demo"). The demo has: 1 playable character (with all 13 colors), Versus Mode (2 stages available), Training Mode, Tutorial Mode and 2 challenge maps.

Lastly, check out a quick match me and my teammate played against each other:

As always, do let me know if you've any feedback! :)

JulianKPrime

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone. I'm super happy to announce that Wishmere has been completed and is scheduled to be released on September 26! Check out the launch trailer!

Differences between the full version and the Early Access build:
  • New moves + rebalancing for all characters

• Story Mode

• Free Mode (plays like a beat 'em up)

• Base of Darkness Mode (challenge maps with upgradable character-specific skills)

• Unlockables (taunts and lore stuff)
We're releasing to PC, Mac and Linux! If you're interested, you can pick it up from our Steam store or Humble store. If you're unsure if this is a game for you, do try out the free demo on Steam!

Do let me know if you've got any feedback! :)

JulianKPrime

Smash Rookie
Hello guys,

So that day has come: Wishmere is fully released. It's been a long 2 year and 2 month journey but I've happy to have taken this road. You can check out some match highlights my teammate and I played:

Thanks to the mods of Smashboards and especially @DRGN for allowing me to speak about Wishmere here. I know it's not what you guys would call a Smash game, but it's been nice to interact with people from Smashboards. If Wishmere looks like your kind of thing, do check it out! We've got a free demo for you to try if you are unsure if it's the kind of game for you too.

Do let me know if you guys have any feedback!

Top Bottom