• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Winter Game Fest VII - PREREG IS UP - Free Tournament with $1500 in Prizes

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion

Southern California's premier tournament series is back for its seventh year.

Free Tournament
100s of players.
20 ft. projector screen.
10,800 square ft. venue.

Venue:
University of California: San Diego
Price Center Ballroom A&B
9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla CA 92092

Directions:
- From the North -
  • Take the 5 South
  • Exit on La Jolla Village Drive
  • Right on La Jolla Village Drive
  • Right on Via La Jolla
  • Straight into the Gilman Parking Structure
- From the South -
  • Take the 5 North
  • Exit on Gilman Drive
  • Left onto Gilman Drive
  • Pass Via La Jolla intersection
  • Left into the Gilman Parking Structure

Entry:

Since this is a free tournament, the number of entrants for each event will be capped as follows: 128 entrants for singles and 64 teams for doubles (both games). That being said, everyone is encouraged to pre-register now to ensure a spot in the tournament. By pre-registering, you're guaranteed entry into the tournament as long as you arrive and check in before 10:30AM for doubles and 12:30PM for singles (Saturday). If you fail to check in, your spot will be given at a first come first serve basis for players at the venue.

Instructions:
  1. Click on the link above or below.
  2. Enter a valid e-mail address (and whatever name you feel like)
  3. Check your inbox for your account password
  4. Log-in
  5. Select the tournament you wish to enter.
  6. For singles, you "team name" will be your smash alias, tag, etc
  7. For doubles, only one partner needs to sign up. Team name will be your team name

Doubles: Free (capped at 64 teams)
Singles: Free (capped at 128 entrants)
Venue: Free

Melee:
Doubles

1 round of pools
to a 32-team bracket
Singles
1 round of pools to a 64-man bracket

Brawl:
Doubles

1 round of pools
to a 32-team bracket
Singles
1 round of pools to a 64-man bracket

Rules:
New Wobbles Compromise:
Wobbling is legal but may not be used to take any more than one stock, regardless of percent. Wobbling is only said to occur once the grab becomes unbreakable. In the event the wobbler mistimes the technique or fails to KO the opponent after the grab is otherwise unbreakable, the player is still charged with their one wobble.

The Mage's DQ rule:
After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.

All other rules:

Schedule:
MELEE
FRIDAY:
  • 12:00 PM - Set-up/Registration/Friendlies
  • 8:00 PM - Doors close
SATURDAY:
  • 10:00 AM - Doors open: Set-ups/Registration
  • 11:00 AM - Doubles Pools
  • 2:00 PM - Singles Pools
SUNDAY:
  • 10:00 AM - Doors open: Finish remaining Pools
  • 11:00 AM - Doubles Bracket
  • 3:00 PM - Singles Bracket
  • 9:00 PM - Emergency Venue (if necessary)

BRAWL
FRIDAY:
  • 12:00 PM - Set-up/Registration/Friendlies
SATURDAY:
  • 10:00 AM - Doors open: Set-ups/Registration
  • 11:00 PM - Doubles Pools
  • 2:00 PM - Singles Pools
SUNDAY:
  • 10:00 AM - Doors open: Finish remaining Pools
  • 11:00 AM - Doubles Bracket
  • 3:00 PM - Singles Bracket
  • 9:00 PM - Emergency Venue (if necessary)
Guaranteed Pot $1500: ($750 Melee/$750 Brawl)
Doubles
1st - $220 (110/110)
2nd - $130 (65/65)
3rd - $70 (35/35)​

Singles
1st - $180
2nd - $100
3rd - $50

Housing:
Smasher Housing
There will likely be UCSD smashers that will be more than happy to house you. All you have to do is ask. Post in either this thread, the San Diego triweekly thread, or send one of our staff a PM and we'll try and get you situated.

Hotels
If you'd rather stay at a hotel there's a Sheraton and Hyatt right across from the venue as well as UCSD shuttles that go to campus every 15 minutes.

We'll have constant media coverage to keep everyone up to date that can't make it to the tournament.
  • 20 ft. projector screen and seating for hyped match all day long
  • Live stream for Melee
  • Live stream for Brawl
  • Twitter accounts updated during the tournament
  • Pool and Bracket images posted online

Bringing setups will be tremendously helpful. We can't waive a venue fee or anything because we're putting on this entire thing for free. We currently have a start-up of about 12 set-ups so we WILL NEED HELP.

Food Outlets
Price Center has over a dozen places to eat literally right outside of the venue. All we ask is that you clean up after yourself if you plan to eat in the venue.
  • Espresso Roma (coffee shop)
  • Jamba Juice
  • Panda Express
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill
  • Shogun (Japanese food)
  • Subway
  • Tacone Wraps (sandwiches, wraps, salads
  • Bombay Coast (Indian food)
  • Burger King (open 24 hours)
  • Santorini Greek Island Food (Greek food)
  • Sunshine Market (convenience store)
  • Tapioca Express

I won't actually be the head TO this year, but I'll be around to help run things. All your WGF related questions should be directed to -
Knee.of.Ky

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
LoL, Halo:CE Anniversary, CoD:MW3, Ultimate MvC3, SSF4:AC, SC2

I don't have the schedule of the games as of yet, but I'm sure some of the TOs can shed some light.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Definitely attending this ;D Lol. SSF4, Halo, and Melee? Holy Pho!!!!!!!!!! Haha xD Btw Lep, change the year please. It's not Jan. 2011, it's Jan. 2012. LOL

soju

SD God
Was looking at this and was like oh snap I'm going, but as soon as I saw free, I got a boner. GG~

Gotta bring my pika swag for this.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Oh while we can't give discounts for bringing setups (cause everything is free already), we will have special treats for those who can provides setups for both days, till the end of the tournament.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
ill probably be there for league

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Capped (128 entrants)
How does one RSVP for this event?
There should be a registration page up pretty soon (http://sctechcomm.org/). Not 100% on this yet, but I think they'll allow more than 128 people on there (probably 250 or something), and then the first 128 people to show up (because there are tons of flakes for free online sign ups) for registration with their names on the list will be admitted. I'll go ahead and ask exactly how they're going to be handling it though.

Morin0

Smash Lord
I'm so freakin' going to this.

A few questions, though:

The title says until 10AM to 9PM but the info on the OP says 10AM to 8PM. Which one is the real time?

The title says it's the 14th and 15th and those days happen to be a Wednesday and a Thursday. But the OP's schedule mentions Friday, Saturday, and even Sunday. I'm guessing this is a mistake?

Morin0

Smash Lord
Eh, disregard my questions. I was looking at December and not January for the dates.

This is pretty cool:

I'm still confused about Friday, though. What do you mean that doors open on Friday if the actual tournament is on Saturday and Sunday? Does it mean it's an entire day devoted to friendlies and stuff? It seems like Tearbear is planning on hosting a pre-WGF tournament that day (I'm assuming over there?) so it kind of makes sense.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
my only worry is that this is the week after apex, so hopefully ppl going wont be burnt out. oos/norcal would be sweet.

this needs moar hype!

Top Bottom