• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wing landing (2 videos)

kupo15

Smash Hero
Related Technique: Wing Dashing

Wingland

We know that you can't cancel the WoI after startup while on the ground...actually you can.
This is not an AT but to cancel WoI after startup while on the ground takes two steps:

1. Tap Up
2. Quickly Dair

What this does is lift you slightly off the ground to allow Dair to work therefore canceling the WoI on the ground without any lag just like a Wingcancel.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=f_azgXeKM3Q&fmt=18

Divebomb to Wingland
Do a Wingland as soon as you touch the ground or slightly above it.
To cancel the WoI without ANY lag, you must cancel them during the turnaround while in the WoI.

Application of Winglanding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ugzbs9iycA

kown

Smash Lord
i cant seem to get this. I perform the tap than dair and dont cancel instead i perform a half dair. and if i do it really fast nothing happens for like a second becuase the WoI puts you back on the ground after about 2 seconds. Your saying you can cancel it between the startup and the end which is about 2 second gap. so im assuming that delaying this would be at the 1 second mark roughly. please show vid. i can see it being useful tho just cant do it.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I believe he's got it saved to his Wii so he'll probably get the vid of it up sooner or later.

As he explained to me, it's easiest if you're moving at the time of the cancellation. Meaning if you're moving forward or backwards and you preform the tap on the joystick Pit'll be more responsive to your upwards input.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yes, it appears that its easier while moving but I don't think it makes a difference. The timing is tricky though. I'll put up a video as long as you don't mind crappy quality for now! :\

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Another thing to add to wingdashing. You can use the WoI after short hopping the fair, dair, or most importantly, the bair. Thus, you can wingdash after using any of these aerials. The bair is ****ing hard though.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Another thing to add to wingdashing. You can use the WoI after short hopping the fair, dair, or most importantly, the bair. Thus, you can wingdash after using any of these aerials. The bair is ****ing hard though.
Using this after a SHFairWoI is a good application. I thought about it but decided not to add this to the Wingdashing thread because it isn't a (super) wingdash. It feels and acts more like a Wing cancel with a delay on the "cancel."
It also isn't really a wingdash because I was able to do it consistently within a couple minutes and I am still having minor difficulties with my wingdashing consistency.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Using this after a SHFairWoI is a good application. I thought about it but decided not to add this to the Wingdashing thread because it isn't a (super) wingdash. It feels and acts more like a Wing cancel with a delay on the "cancel."
It also isn't really a wingdash because I was able to do it consistently within a couple minutes and I am still having minor difficulties with my wingdashing consistency.
Call it a wingland. Wingdashing has the same functionality as wavedashing, and we didn't call landing wavedashes wavedashing for some reason. Then you've got another technique to add to the Pit technique thread. I'm still exploring this as an approach. It could remove any trouble Pit has with tripping. Also, his attacks are too vulnerable upon hitting a shield.

The most important application is with the dair in reality. As dair is the only attack that will hit small characters like MK and allows Pit to run away after attacking.

And SHFair is the worst aerial to apply this too IMO. As the fair will only hit airborne opponents if used at that elevation. Too bad nair doesn't link into this.

kupo15

Smash Hero
So you want to replace Delayed wing cancel with Winglanding or Divebomb canceling with winglanding?
Also, Im glad you said IMO because I have been thinking very hard about what it stands for. What does IMO stand for? lol

I ment to say SHaerialWoI :)

Tipzntrix

Smash Apprentice
SHFair can hit a standing Dedede, Bowser, Charizard, and Ganondorf. It may be able to hit a few others too.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
So you want to replace Delayed wing cancel with Winglanding or Divebomb canceling with winglanding?
Also, Im glad you said IMO because I have been thinking very hard about what it stands for. What does IMO stand for? lol

I ment to say SHaerialWoI :)
IMO stands for in my opinion. As I've been to only about 3 tournaments, it's going to remain that way until I get more experience. Especially since I didn't figure this stuff out until AFTER my last tournament.

But overall, yes. Delayed wing cancel would be a wingland. And being in the air, using the WoI before hitting the ground and canceling them would be a wingland. I was thinking winglanding was more of the latter, but we can include the former too. Winglanding also sounds better.

Either way, I think this opens up possibilities for his dair mostly.

kupo15

Smash Hero
True. I think it also opens up more possibles for comboing since you can reach the ground faster than your opponent. especially high in the air.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
I don't think using WoI anywhere above the ground is a good idea. It's a move I'm very cautious when using to make sure that nothing bad can happen. Usually, I make sure Pit hits the ground ASAP after I use it. So I don't like using WoI anywhere high in the air.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Well I mean if you are high the air and use an Uair. At high percent it will send them away then you can use it to divebomb to the ground, pursue, and end with a cancel

Rebel581

Smash Champion
I guess that works. Just watch out for projectiles. Either way, I tried out the dair > wingland against a level 9 CPU to see if it could work against anything. It didn't turn out well. I'm going to try it a bit more against a human opponent some other time, but currently, the dair still doesn't seem like a viable approach move to me. You have to get too close the opponent to use it.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ok. hopefully something concrete will surface in time. I have an idea but I need more time.

I figured out how to cancel the wings without ANY lag. Check the OP

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Whatever Heffer. No one likes your style!

But really, I've found that DiveBombing into WingLanding is just the height of too much awesome. Fast Faller Pit... I can see this really annoying people who are normally faster then Pit is overall.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Divebombing sounds better if we add wing to everything people are going to think Pit players have some bird fetish

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Keep in mind for abbreviation's sake that WingDiving would end up as WDing, which has been used all over the place in Smash.

kupo15

Smash Hero
lol, thanks! yea I posted it a couple of weeks ago as Divebombing. It was a name that I gave to it in my playing and no one came up with another so it stuck.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I felt bad that I never knew about this. I started doing it about 3 days ago, and now Kupo had to link me to this place...
I never knew that what i did was called divebombing, until now. Im glad that Kupo clarified it to me when I sent him replays.

kupo15

Smash Hero
yup and you can do it at anytime like from a divebomb or anytime from the wings. Too bad you never saw this before, thats why everyone should read the stickies lol ^_^

kupo15

Smash Hero
like wingdashing, it takes a lot of time to find out when to do it right. If you want to mindgame your opponent to think you are wingdashing, they will notice your spacing is further away then expected. As far as I know, no one uses WoI nearly as much as I or experiments like I do which is why I find it useful. Ill try to find a vid of where I use it. It is in one of the snake vids

It also can be used for freedom of movement and its incredibly fun. I like doing it to mindgame my opponent and especially since the range of the Fair is extended from the WoI, its cool.

There is a mini article in the Guide for an Advanced Pit on page 2. i think it is number 13ish

jullian910

Smash Rookie
sorry but im still a noob and i didnt understand how to do it? :S can somebody help me plz?

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
when your feet look like they are touching the ground but you are still in WOI, use dair by hitting c-stick down.

next time use the question and answer thread.

MOD LOCK THIS THREAD PLZ

Xcallion

Smash Ace
also could we add this to the one stop pit stop? this isnt too huge, but new pits should probably know how to do this.

Top Bottom