• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There is hope for playable western-made third-party characters

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I heard rumors of a Mortal Kombat Trilogy remaster, and considering MKT blood is really tame in this day and age of games, I’d say that that would be okay in Japan if they keep the blood to ‘96-levels and add that shadowed-out gore from the FOTNS game you mentioned. That is, if it’s real.
Even better, the SNES version of MK1 had characters bleed sweat.

Yes, it's strange, but it was a simpler time, when Nintendo still had issues with offensive content in the West.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
A Mortal Kombat character could be possible, but they'd get the Bayonetta treatment: all of their signature itinerary is present and accounted for (Sub-Zero's Ice Attacks, Scorpion's command grabs over long distances), but the thing the series is "known for" (Bayonetta getting naked for finishers, Mortal Kombat's fatalities) are not getting in no matter how much we beg Sakurai.

47's chances are even lower now that IO broke off from SE, so he'll still remain anywhere but on a Nintendo console. So I understand the concern in his case.
I didn't know that. Well, at least now if he gets in, we don't have to worry about him getting in without his ****ing soundtrack. [cries in Final Fantasy]

Quillion

Smash Hero
A Mortal Kombat character could be possible, but they'd get the Bayonetta treatment: all of their signature itinerary is present and accounted for (Sub-Zero's Ice Attacks, Scorpion's command grabs over long distances), but the thing the series is "known for" (Bayonetta getting naked for finishers, Mortal Kombat's fatalities) are not getting in no matter how much we beg Sakurai.
Sub-Zero and/or Scorpion would be awesome western guests on the M-Rated side of things. It's just too bad there isn't much support for them.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Sub-Zero and/or Scorpion would be awesome western guests on the M-Rated side of things. It's just too bad there isn't much support for them.
Yeah, you’d think support would skyrocket after Mortal Kombat 11 was announced for the Switch...

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think there's hope for western 3rd party characters because, even though Nintendo owns Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, and Dark Samus, they were originally created by western companies. Diddy and K. Rool being created by British studio Rare and Dark Samus being created by Texas/American studio Retro Studios. I think if they are willing to put characters that were originally made by westerns that they own into the roster, then they would be willing to put characters that are created and owned by western companies into the roster as well.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Western third parties are a whole 'nother beast...

There'd likely be language barriers and travel fees to make one possible...

That, and Smash prides itself on being a celebration of Japanese gaming...

Because of this, a potential western character for Smash can't just be anyone. They have notable in both the western, and japanese markets, and need to be pretty major...

Because of this, I feel like like only three western third party characters even have a shot.

Definitely Steve, and maybe Crash and Banjo

Quillion

Smash Hero
Western third parties are a whole 'nother beast...

There'd likely be language barriers and travel fees to make one possible...
That hasn't stopped Geralt from appearing in Monster Hunter and Soulcalibur nor has it stopped Negan from appearing in Tekken. And both of them aren't even video game characters.

That, and Smash prides itself on being a celebration of Japanese gaming...
Says who?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I mean there’s not much you can do with Bethesda games. They’re all first person generic characters basically. Same with Blizzard outside of Overwatch which I highly doubt happening (although it seems like the series are made for each other to cross over).

Characters like Aloy from Horizon would be nice but I don’t think she’s popular enough. She’s a deep character with plenty of moveset potential from a phenomenal game. Kratos would be another option I guess but I think Aloy fits better as a Smash character and I have a strong feeling Kratos would be Bayonetta pt. 2

Master Chief is an FPS character and I know people say he has moveset potential but I don’t think he does. I know how iconic he is but I don’t think an FPS character would be fun and they’d have to half BS a move set. Other than OW I don’t like the idea of FPS characters I think they’d be boring

Banjo makes the most sense but I don’t think Nintendo wants to promote Microsoft’s IPs and give them an opening to make a new Banjo game

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I mean there’s not much you can do with Bethesda games. They’re all first person generic characters basically. Same with Blizzard outside of Overwatch which I highly doubt happening (although it seems like the series are made for each other to cross over).
Doomguy/Doom Slayer is absolutely an icon in spite of this though. His series symbolizes one of the first great FPS games, alongside a fantastic revival of such.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Doomguy/Doom Slayer is absolutely an icon in spite of this though. His series symbolizes one of the first great FPS games, alongside a fantastic revival of such.
I completely agree. I just think it’ll be hard to adapt FPS characters

volbound1700

Smash Master

Characters like Aloy from Horizon would be nice but I don’t think she’s popular enough. She’s a deep character with plenty of moveset potential from a phenomenal game. Kratos would be another option I guess but I think Aloy fits better as a Smash character and I have a strong feeling Kratos would be Bayonetta pt. 2

Master Chief is an FPS character and I know people say he has moveset potential but I don’t think he does. I know how iconic he is but I don’t think an FPS character would be fun and they’d have to half BS a move set. Other than OW I don’t like the idea of FPS characters I think they’d be boring

Banjo makes the most sense but I don’t think Nintendo wants to promote Microsoft’s IPs and give them an opening to make a new Banjo game
I think Nintendo would support Banjo if Microsoft stuck that new Banjo game on Switch. It also makes more sense for Microsoft as Banjo would appeal more to Switch owners than Xbox One owners.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
If western characters ever made it into Smash it would have to be the Battletoads. They are infamous when it comes to NES games. That freaking bike section :I

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I think Nintendo would support Banjo if Microsoft stuck that new Banjo game on Switch. It also makes more sense for Microsoft as Banjo would appeal more to Switch owners than Xbox One owners.
Microsoft would be handing money over to Nintendo if they put Banjo in the game and then released a new Banjo game on the Switch (unless they developed and released it on Switch which I don’t thinks ever happened before). I think Nintendo would have to buyout Banjo. A new Banjo game would be huge if he was in Smash regardless of system and I’d think Microsoft would wanna keep that app. Banjo in Smash would be a dream come true for them

How would it be hard? We have the Inklings.
Yeah but Inklings have so many unique weapons and abilities and the ink mechanic really helps them. That’s why I also think OW characters would work because of their abilities and they fit perfectly into the aesthetic of Smash. Doomguy and Masterchief aren’t as unique as Inkling or OW characters

volbound1700

Smash Master
Microsoft would be handing money over to Nintendo if they put Banjo in the game and then released a new Banjo game on the Switch (unless they developed and released it on Switch which I don’t thinks ever happened before). I think Nintendo would have to buyout Banjo. A new Banjo game would be huge if he was in Smash regardless of system and I’d think Microsoft would wanna keep that app. Banjo in Smash would be a dream come true for them

Yeah but Inklings have so many unique weapons and abilities and the ink mechanic really helps them. That’s why I also think OW characters would work because of their abilities and they fit perfectly into the aesthetic of Smash. Doomguy and Masterchief aren’t as unique as Inkling or OW characters
Not trying to be mean but your response to my quote makes no sense. Microsoft would get the money from selling the game. They would still own Banjo and get money for having it on Nintendo console. Similar to how SEGA gets paid for Sonic Mania or Bethesda for Skyrim.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Not trying to be mean but your response to my quote makes no sense. Microsoft would get the money from selling the game. They would still own Banjo and get money for having it on Nintendo console. Similar to how SEGA gets paid for Sonic Mania or Bethesda for Skyrim.
No I understand what you’re saying but there’s really no precedent for a developer with a console to develop a game for another console. Nintendo doesn’t develop for Microsoft or Sony and vice versa. I’m not saying it can’t happen just that it probably won’t

volbound1700

Smash Master
No I understand what you’re saying but there’s really no precedent for a developer with a console to develop a game for another console. Nintendo doesn’t develop for Microsoft or Sony and vice versa. I’m not saying it can’t happen just that it probably won’t
Actually there is... Minecraft. Also Xbox live now. In reality, the crowd that plays Switch compared to the crowd that plays Xbox One is different enough the two could play in the same sandbox. Banjo-Kazooie would sell a lot better on the Switch than on Xbox One. Xbox One crowd typically prefers FPS and more adult themed games.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
As far as how the FPS characters could work, I saw one guy say that if a gun was the Neutral B, then the B button can be to bring up the sights and trigger button can fire the gun while holding the B button. Imho, I think that's at least a step in the right direction.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
As far as how the FPS characters could work, I saw one guy say that if a gun was the Neutral B, then the B button can be to bring up the sights and trigger button can fire the gun while holding the B button. Imho, I think that's at least a step in the right direction.
There’s absolutely no way that would work or be a good move. There would be so much start up lag lmao

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I feel western titles will be represented in Smash as let’s face it, the west is really what’s supporting Nintendo. Ubisoft and Bethesda jumped onto the Switch train far before anyone else with the only notable exception being Sega. Square, Capcom, and others all played it super safe till the Switch was proven a success, whereas Yaht Club, Ubisoft, Wayforward, and Bethesda announced major support on day one. Heck, even Microsoft supported the Switch and has been supporting far more than any Japanese developer as they gave it an entire service. To say the least, the West loves Nintendo even more than Japan seemed to as many of their “allies” that got characters in Smash quickly went to PlayStation when given the option.

My next claim would be that Nintendo has branched out to Western developers, making the language barrier a non-issue. Nintendo has weirdly enough, given more benefits to its western developers than its Japanese ones in recent years. I mean look at what they’ve done for them; localizing Shovel Knight in Japan for Yaht Club, giving two of their successful franchises to Ubisoft, giving Bethesda and Microsoft Mario and Zelda respectively for costumes in Skyrim and Minecraft, and even working with Microsoft for cross-play. It seems their western friends get a bit more love than Japanese ones like Square.

For my final point, I think Sakurai should be mentioned as he has actually praised western developers. The first one being Undertale, then he went off about the importance of Doom, and then him and Nintendo have praised Minecraft with Nintendo employees even being mad that they didn’t create it first.

I think it’s safe to say that we will be seeing some Western 3rd party in the fighter’s pass, as quite frankly Nintendo is running out of iconic Japanese characters to pull from that would leave a huge impact. Add in that many western titles such as Minecraft are popular in Nintendo’s home country and give Nintendo the much needed support, and yeah, I do believe Nintendo will have to break out of the Japanese and all mentality going forward.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I've been thinking: what would Lara Croft be classified as? She's western made, but owned by (stingy) Square Enix. Like Cloud, she has icon status that trumps her lack of Nintendo presence. Does her Squeenix ownership give her more of a chance?

UserKev

Smash Champion
Western third parties have so much of a wide variety wave of characters to add, I'm annoyed by it. Just Please let Crash or Steve get in so they can be the door openers.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Hooray! Now can we get Scorpion and Rayman???

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Nice to see the barrier's now been broken

We now have three British-designed characters (yay!), so it would be nice to see a few more born in the USA and maybe our first French character *cough*Rayman*cough*

Quillion

Smash Hero
Are you agree that Blizzard and Bethesda both have a chance to get a character in this game? I think it can.
Blizzard has Tracer and Diablo I guess, but as we discussed earlier, Bethesda seems to focus on overall world experience rather than iconic characters.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Blizzard has Tracer and Diablo I guess, but as we discussed earlier, Bethesda seems to focus on overall world experience rather than iconic characters.
I've heard of interesting ideas for Vault Boy or Dragonborn to be fighters. Considering that R.O.B. and several avatar-based characters are in the game I don't see how their fundamental designs could prevent them from being in.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I've heard of interesting ideas for Vault Boy or Dragonborn to be fighters. Considering that R.O.B. and several avatar-based characters are in the game I don't see how their fundamental designs could prevent them from being in.
The avatar-based characters currently in have a lot of things to set them apart. Given that we have DQ Hero, it will be a lot harder to make something like an Elder Scrolls character stand out.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The avatar-based characters currently in have a lot of things to set them apart. Given that we have DQ Hero, it will be a lot harder to make something like an Elder Scrolls character stand out.
I think it should just depend on his iconic helmet, Fus Ro Dah/dragon shouts and his voice. Dragonborn can stand out if his implantation rely on what actually make him iconic.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
And if we incorporate third person shooters, you have Commander Shepard, Marcus Fenix, Lara Croft, Hitman, Sam Fisher, etc.

Also Master Chief is incredibly iconic. I think you're mixing up "iconic" and "having remotely any discernible character".
Props for mentioning Commander Shepard, though truthfully, I think Shepard would be the lamest Mass Effect character you could include, and considering that Shepard's class and powers are chosen by the player I don't even think they would work as a Smash character. But other Mass Effect characters with predefined classes and moves would work really well.

I think Liara T'Soni, in particular, would be a great addition to Smash, and I even created a moveset concept for her! Mordun Solus, Garrus Vakarian, Urdnot Wrex, or Tali'Zorah would also be wonderful Smash candidates from the Mass Effect series.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Props for mentioning Commander Shepard, though truthfully, I think Shepard would be the lamest Mass Effect character you could include, and considering that Shepard's class and powers are chosen by the player I don't even think they would work as a Smash character. But other Mass Effect characters with predefined classes and moves would work really well.

I think Liara T'Soni, in particular, would be a great addition to Smash, and I even created a moveset concept for her! Mordun Solus, Garrus Vakarian, Urdnot Wrex, or Tali'Zorah would also be wonderful Smash candidates from the Mass Effect series.
Shepard is similar to Robin and Corrin: not the best character to include, and yet also the most easily identifiable and recognizable character. That N7 logo shows up on a trailer and people will go nuts more than if Liara's head tendrils do.

Don't get me wrong. I don't disagree. I would have put Azura in over Corrin. But Shepard's moveset can still reflect all of Mass Effect by simply being a Sentinel. Biotics, tech and using a gun. Bam. Male and female versions with base model faces and six other altered faces to try and replicate character customization best they can, a la the Villager.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Now that the dust has been settled, this topic can't be treated like a pipe dream anymore, hooray!

As far as Blizzard goes, Tracer seems like a logical pick. On the Activision side you got Crash and Spyro, though the chances of both getting in simultaneously is a far shot at the moment.

Also, Interplay's Earthworm Jim please, I can dream about it, right?

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
Shepard is similar to Robin and Corrin: not the best character to include, and yet also the most easily identifiable and recognizable character. That N7 logo shows up on a trailer and people will go nuts more than if Liara's head tendrils do.
Can't argue with that!! I would definitely get hype AF the moment that N7 logo appeared.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think this is the reason why we have so many sword wielders. In RPGs, the other party members tend to have actually interesting and unique abilities, but since the main character has to be the most basic, they're always a bland sword wielder.

That said, I think Robin was at least superior to Chrom.

NapoleonDos

Smash Cadet
Western Characters I truly hope make the leap:

-Crash Bandicoot (Activision)
-Spyro the Dragon (Activision)
-Rayman (Ubisoft)
-Ezio (Ubisoft)
-Steve (Microsoft)
-Master Chief (Microsoft)
-Vaultboy (Bethesda)
-Scorpion (NetherRealm)

Looser definition: