• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will the PMBR borrow ideas from the Smash direct?

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Basically, with new screenshots/directs from Smash 4, and new versions from PM, Nintendo and the community are communicating with each other. That way both games get better and you have 2 sources of inspiration which face the issue completely different and therefore have also different ideas. #oneUnit #thebestoftwoworlds

Downdraft

Smash Ace
I second the Zelda/Sheik down B as well as Olimar rework. God know that he needs it.
I would not appreciate Phantom Slash replacing Transform if the move is reflectible.
On a side note, I wonder if Phantom Slash can be power shielded to reflect the attack.

D

Deleted member

I've been wanting Zelda and Sheik to be separated long before the Smash direct. While the rest of their movesets would need some tweaks for balancing purposes in order to make room for a new move, this is a change I would definitely support. The two-in-one character concept has not worked out in Smash (no, not even in Project M) so as far as game design goes, it makes little sense to have them attached to each other.

BlahblahDon'tChangeSheikSheWasTopTierInMeleeBlablah, I've heard it all before so don't say it.

Last edited by a moderator:

UberMario

Smash Master
Don't forget:
- DK's new dash attack is the roll, just like in Project M
- Charizard is a stand-alone character and his new fair is a claw slash just like in Project M
- Gliding cut
- Link finally has his jump slash

and the moveset customization is 100% Brawl minus.
I have a suspicion that the FD mode for each stage is heavily inspired by the stage reskins that the hacking community uses. I doubt that he does not acknowledge that it exists, at the very least.

Last edited:

210stuna

Smash Lord
When Smash 4 is released do you think the PMBR will have an update to change the Skyloft stage to a different texture maybe?

Or any other changes will be made, regarding materiel related to Smash 4?

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this would be too drastic a change to include at this point but i think the rapid jab finisher would be a nice addition. I've included my idea of what the finishers would look like for each character and how this can be balanced.

Diddy - bucks with both feet after rapidly attacking with his tail. knockback is akin to his fair but it doesn't go as far.

Falcon - brings the hand he isn't punching with forward in a mini falcon punch. deals burn damage and has good horizontal knockback.

Fox - steps forward after rapid kicking then executes his 64 utilt. can follow up with uair. (pseudo up throw up air)

Falco - since he's been attacking high he finishes low. he crosses his wrists then separates them at his opponents feet. knockback puts them just above his short hop.

Shiek - same thing as in smash 4. good to follow up with fair at low percents.

Link - stabs forward like marth's brawl shield breaker or tinks dash attack. knockback is like 64 link dash attack.

Mewtwo - while rapid hitting his offhand produces a small shadowball. he reaches forward with his off hand like in his taunt and connects with the ball. knockback and damage replicate foxes shine exactly except with purply shadow damage.

Pit - after rapid hitting he yanks the sword/bow back quickly and stops spinning it. deals poor knockback but decent damage.

Kirby - after jabbing he finishes with fighter kirbys rising upper. can be followed up with uair or fair depending on the character.

Metaknight - finishes his rapid with the same attack as his 3rd hit from the tilt. everything copies over.

Dedede - after spinning the hammer he pulls it torwards him which yanks the opponent in his direction. good to follow up with a grab at low percents. higher percents result in knockback similar to docs dtilt from melee.

Game & Watch - after pumping whatever that thing is, he pumps one more time for a massive multihitting cloud. good on shields and stuffs sloppy recoveries. not appropriate for children.

Balance
For balance the jabs and finishers would need some tweaking so they're not stupid safe. First and foremost, rapids should be repeatable only twice after the initial cycle of rapids. After the third cycle (rapids have a repeating pattern) of rapid jabs you WILL perform a finisher if you stop mashing. With the first/second cycle you have 2 options; continuing jabbing in hopes of trapping the other character or dropping the rapid. Performing a finisher with all characters will inevitably result in a longer cool down than if you had just dropped the rapid jab. While dropping the rapid still gives the other character a small frame advantage, you will be able to act much quicker than if you tried for the finisher.
On the defensive side, the shielding player will have to predict whether they will go for the finisher or drop the rapid. Predicting incorrectly will either result in getting trapped or grabbed. Depending on the character that is rapid jabbing a correct prediction might result in a shield grab, up b oos, usmash oos, wavedash in/out or even a buffered roll to escape finishers which might be slower than others. If you get caught in a rapid there's still hope. Depending on the character you should be able to DI into a position where you'll still get hit by rapids but if they try and finish they'll miss and leave themselves open.

Last edited:
Top Bottom